The 3D via a HDMI 1.3 AV-Receiver Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 250 Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an nVidia GTX 460, and didn't experience any audio-sync problems when I tried it. Output 1 = DVI-to-HDMI cable, direct to TV (mitsubishi 1080p DLP, checkerboard 3D). Output 2 = mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable, direct to receiver. In the nvidia display settings, you have to choose to mirror displays, and enable the hdmi audio only on the output going to the receiver. (nvidia can also output hdmi audio to the DVI port, but the TV is only stereo, so no point). nvidia detects that it's connected to a receiver and figures

I tested with PowerDVD.

other opinions :
For gaming I prefer to use the 7.1 analog audio outputs to the analog Pre-In on my Pioneer receiver. All the 3D effects in games work just fine when the receiver is only acting as an amp, and not a decoder. Plus with all the HDMI handshaking, and how often games change resolutions, if you use HDMI for audio, it drops out for several seconds at a time, multiple times during level loads, etc. This is annoying if you are on Ventrilo or Teamspeak.

For movies that are actually encoded in DTS-MA or Dolby True-HD, the sound is much better when the receiver decodes it. Unfortunately HDMI is the ONLY way you can get these codecs at 7.1 channels (optical TOSLINK is limited to 5.1 channel). If you decode them in the PC then send to receiver via analog, the PC isn't calibrated to the room, like the receiver is (MCACC or similar microphone).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Here is what monoprice emailed me. "Thank you for contacting us at Monoprice.com. In regards to your inquiry, I do apologize but that will not. All of your devices would have to be 3D compliant for that to work, if one is not 3D compliant then it would downgrade to the highest common resolution of what that device can support. All of our matrixes/ switches/ and splitters will do this. Unfortunately, that is a limitation with all HDMI splitters. The reason a splitter would do this would be to ensure that all of the devices work properly. When you connect two HDMI devices together, they talk to each other and share what they can and cant do, this is referred to as a "Handshake". So essentially, a splitter will only support the highest common resolution and audio. Say you have a 1080p TV and a 720p TV, the splitter will only output in 720P, the reason is that if it where to output a 1080p signal, the 720P TV would simply not work.It is the same thing with audio, if the TV does not support 5.1 audio, the splitter will not output 5.1 audio to the receiver. Thank you for making Monoprice your preferred place to shop online. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with."

That's true - if you're connecting both out puts to two different TV's then if one TV supports 720p and nothing higher and your other TV supports 1080p then it will only send 720p - but what i'm saying is having one output go to the AVR (for to send the audio) and the other to the TV/projector (just for video).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #243 of 250 Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Read through as much of this thread as I could and I am having trouble finding a conclusive answer regarding PS3 and AVR w/1.3 HDMI. From what I gather, 3D games will work fine (I can get these to work), however 3D Blu-Rays will not (I don't have any to test with)? Or is the problem just with 1080p 3d feeds?

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #244 of 250 Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 PM

post #245 of 250 Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Based on Monoprice's answer a few posts before, the answer is NO.
"Originally Posted by swak

Here is what monoprice emailed me. "Thank you for contacting us at Monoprice.com. In regards to your inquiry, I do apologize but that will not. All of your devices would have to be 3D compliant for that to work, if one is not 3D compliant then it would downgrade to the highest common resolution of what that device can support. All of our matrixes/ switches/ and splitters will do this. Unfortunately, that is a limitation with all HDMI splitters. The reason a splitter would do this would be to ensure that all of the devices work properly. When you connect two HDMI devices together, they talk to each other and share what they can and cant do, this is referred to as a "Handshake". So essentially, a splitter will only support the highest common resolution and audio. Say you have a 1080p TV and a 720p TV, the splitter will only output in 720P, the reason is that if it where to output a 1080p signal, the 720P TV would simply not work.It is the same thing with audio, if the TV does not support 5.1 audio, the splitter will not output 5.1 audio to the receiver. Thank you for making Monoprice your preferred place to shop online. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with."

HDMI AVRs do have video capabilities that are a part of the "handshake". AVRs do have video functions - sometimes it is upconverting lower resolution signals, sometimes it is converting analog video signals to digital etc.

The example of a splitter with one output going to the TV and one going to the AVR from one source device, in this case PS3, will still have some problems.

1. The TV reports to the splitter that it is 1080p (and all of the other various sub-parts for a normal 1080p signal) plus all of the other normal video it can handle (such as 720p, 480p etc), 3D (including 1080p & 720p Frame Packed 3D, Side-by-side and Top/Bottom etc.) and which of the video formats are the best. For audio TV often only report PCM stereo audio (an extremely common TV audio limitation).

2. The AVR reports to the splitter that is 1080p (and all of the other various sub-parts for a normal 1080p signal) plus all of the other normal video it can handle (such as 720p, 480p etc) and which of the video formats are the best. For audio the AVR will report compatibly with Dolby HD 7.1 and DTS HD 7.1. and PCM stereo audio (the PCM stereo audio is required, all other audio is optional). There is nothing about 3D at all in this handshake because an HDMI 1.3 AVR does not even know how to add that part.

3. The splitter reads these two handshakes and establishes that only normal 1080p, 720p, 480p and PCM stereo are common between both the TV and the AVR (not the 3D and not the Dolby or DTS audios).

4. The splitter NOT THE TV or AVR reports back to the sourced device (the PS3) that only the normal video, the best video format and PCM stereo are supported - note the splitter reports to the source device, not the TV or the AVR.

5. The source device will then send only the best normal video it can send and PCM stereo audio - because that is what it was told was compatible.

In short the source device only knows about the audio and video formats that are included in the handshake of the device DIRECTLY CONNECTED. Not the devices farther down the line.

The splitter DOES NOT decide to send some signals to the TV and other signals to the AVR. It sends the same signals to both outputs so it tries to limit the signals to signals that compatible with both the TV and AVR. If you send an incompatible signal to one of these devices, you may cause it to crash and potentially damage the device.

When the AVR is between the TV and source device, the handshake route is TV to AVR. AVR establishes the compatibility between the TV and AVR. The AVR then reports to the source device but adds the audio that the AVR is able to handle that the TV does not. The AVR does prevent the incompatible audio from going to the TV. Again if the AVR does not support 3D, it will not include any 3D support in the handshake.

Others here have indicated that the PS3 will only check for 3D support at the time you run through the PS3 HDMI menu setup procedures – I cannot confirm that to be accurate or inaccurate. It is also possible that the PS3 may check again after a power failure or after you unplug and re-plug the AC cord.
post #246 of 250 Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanzcool View Post

I was able to get 3D Working BD , Nvidia 3dTV play etc on my Onkyo SR577 which is an HDMI 1.3 Receiver --> Samsung D6000 Series HDMI 1.4a HDTV.

Here is what I did , setup DualView

Geforce GTX 560 DVI -> HDMI 1 of the TV

Geforce GTX 560 HDMI -> HDMI 1 of the Onkyo SR577 --> HDMI 2 of the TV

Enabled DVI Display as the Primary Display

Under Audio set the Default Audio to SR577

And now everything works like Out of the BOX.

3DTV play

3D Videos

3d Blu Ray with HD Audio (True HD and Master Audio )

Added screen shots !
525x525px-LL-01b26782_vbattach232671.png
525x525px-LL-6925d63b_vbattach232672.png
525x525px-LL-b25336d9_vbattach232673.png

Hi,
I have tried your solution via my Asus gtx560 to my Yamaha rx-v663 , but when I play any bd disc through TMT5 , I only get the DTS core sound (not the DTS-HD). Can you help me figure this out?
post #247 of 250 Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have recently purchased a 65" VT60 plasma with the BDT160 3d blu ray player.

I have had the bdt160 connected via hdmi through my sr5003 receiver which is then connected to the plasma via hdmi where 3d works. All of a sudden, I cannot get 3D to work.

The player says it has not detected a 3D capable display. Now I cant for the life of me get it to work again unless I bypass the sr5003 and go straight to the TV.

In the BDT160 I have st the HDMI res to 1080p. The sr5003 has video convert set to off, hdmi out res to through (although I have also tried auto and 1080P with no luck).

What the?? How can it have worked at one stage, but now it wont?

ANy ideas??

Going direct hdmi to TV is not an option as the optical audio out from the tv to the sr5003 produces only 2ch stereo, which is not on!
post #248 of 250 Old 07-01-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffche View Post
The player says it has not detected a 3D capable display. Now I cant for the life of me get it to work again unless I bypass the sr5003 and go straight to the TV.

In the BDT160 I have st the HDMI res to 1080p. The sr5003 has video convert set to off, hdmi out res to through (although I have also tried auto and 1080P with no luck).

ANy ideas??
Most 3D players must detect the 3D capabilities, as reported by the display. I would try the following:
1) see if the BDT160 has an "auto" setting, instead of manually setting it to 1080p.

2) some TVs only accept 3D input on a certain HDMI port, make sure the SR5003 AVR is connected to the same port where 3D worked directly from BDT160->TV.

3) disconnect HDMI and power off the BDT160, then attach the TV to the SR5003 hdmi-out port, power both on, make sure TV is set to that input. If the AVR doesn't output anything normally (menu, etc), use another HDMI source (Chromecast, whatever) to feed it a signal. Attach the BDT160 to another port on the AVR, switch the AVR input to that port, then power on the BDT160, and see if it detects the 3D capabilities of the TV. (wasn't HDMI supposed to make our lives easier??)

4) test with another 3D playback device (does a friend have a PS3 to lend?) in place of the BDT160.
post #249 of 250 Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have recently purchased a 65" VT60 plasma with the BDT160 3d blu ray player.

I have had the bdt160 connected via hdmi through my sr5003 receiver which is then connected to the plasma via hdmi where 3d works. All of a sudden, I cannot get 3D to work.

ANy ideas??

Going direct hdmi to TV is not an option as the optical audio out from the tv to the sr5003 produces only 2ch stereo, which is not on!
I've since upgraded but I recall having to 'trick' my PS3 into thinking it was directly connected to the TV so try connecting the BD player to the TV and going through the set up so it detects and sets up the 3D. Then unplug it from the TV (NOT the power) and plug it into the AVR and it 'should' work. That's how I had to do it. And if you lost power or something 'funky' happened it might lose that connection and have to go through those steps again.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #250 of 250 Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

ANy ideas??

The Marantz website says your receiver is HDMI 1.3 only, which means it isn't meant to handle HDMI 1.4 3D signals such as 1080p24 frame-packed. If it has in the past, consider yourself lucky. Older Onkyo 1.3 receivers with a Reon processor can pass 1.4 3D if the processor is turned off. However, they still won't process HD sound from 1.4 3D sources since the sound is in a different part of the bitstream and they can't extract it. TNB and SBS are 1.3 formats and will work.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 07-01-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page