Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 517 Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjknatl View Post

Does your Samsung TV create a teal or red haze when 3D mode is turned on and when viewed without either glasses on (presumably the DLP Link flash) ?

If so, and if the IO glasses filter out that haze once you put them on just as well as the Viewsonics, that is good to know.

Yes, the TV puts out the red tint when 3d mode is enabled, and yes, the IO glasses filter it out properly so blacks are normal. There's no mode select on them. I don't know if they are left or right frame based so they may or may not be compatible with what you've got. I've got about 16 hours on them and haven't ever had sync issues. I've spent 2 hours with the Viewsonics and haven't experienced issues there. I thought I saw them flicker at the peak of a couple of fade to black cut scenes, but the glasses sync so fast I can't be sure if they actually dropped or not.

I'm not kidding though; those IOs really are flimsy; their markups must be huge. Since the reflection problems make them unusable during the day, the dimming isn't too much of an issue since I'm watching 3d in the dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 517 Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricUtah View Post

Yes, the TV puts out the red tint when 3d mode is enabled, and yes, the IO glasses filter it out properly so blacks are normal. There's no mode select on them. I don't know if they are left or right frame based so they may or may not be compatible with what you've got.

I'm currently using the Mits/Sammy glasses. I believe the Samsung version of the IO glasses should work with the emitter from the Mits kit based on that emitter being compatible with the Samsung branded glasses, and presumably be compatible with the sync of the Mits/Sammy branded glasses. I may try a pair of the IOs and just use them when viewing alone, so that nobody is around to laugh at the sight of them.

Is buying them directly from IO the only way to get them; if not, anybody found them for a cheaper price than from IO?
post #363 of 517 Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I'm not kidding though; those IOs really are flimsy; their markups must be huge. Since the reflection problems make them unusable during the day, the dimming isn't too much of an issue since I'm watching 3d in the dark.

You're right they are flimsy. I really wish the nose pieces were more comfortable. I have a hard time wearing them for an entire movie without taking them off to give my nose a break.

- Michael

post #364 of 517 Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

I may try a pair of the IOs and just use them when viewing alone, so that nobody is around to laugh at the sight of them.

Is buying them directly from IO the only way to get them; if not, anybody found them for a cheaper price than from IO?

A brief search revealed one reseller: http://www.electronics-expo.com/inde...&source=google and Amazon. (Search IOD 3d glasses).

That pic in the link above shows the emitter as well but I think that's a mistake. IO sells a standalone pair for $59 and the glasses+emitter for $74. Those are the generic 3d dlp labeled glasses -- not sure the difference between those and the ones labeled Samsung specific. (Edit: Noticed the Samsung specific model on the IO page says it's LCD/Plasma/DLP ready and the other is DLP only).
post #365 of 517 Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Those are the generic 3d dlp labeled glasses -- not sure the difference between those and the ones labeled Samsung specific. (Edit: Noticed the Samsung specific model on the IO page says it's LCD/Plasma/DLP ready and the other is DLP only).

IO seems to include an emitter with what they call DLP glasses. I guess they mean that the emitter works with DLP TV's (as opposed to the glasses being DLP Link glasses)?

Anyway, that being the case, the IO emitter is probably using a different protocol than the Samsung TV emitter (and the Mits kit emitter), so if you have a Mits kit, I'm guessing you need the Samsung version or a truly DLP Link capable version.
post #366 of 517 Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

...the IO emitter is probably using a different protocol than the Samsung TV emitter (and the Mits kit emitter), so if you have a Mits kit, I'm guessing you need the Samsung version or a truly DLP Link capable version.

I have no evidence to support this one way or another, but I suspect that these emitters are the same. They use a 3-pin miniDIN VESA 3D-Sync socket on the TV. My emitter cable looks like a simple wire that terminates with 2 IR LEDs. There may be some vendor specific active electronics in that cable that I'm not aware of, but from the outside it looks pretty much like a simple set of flashing IR LEDs powered by the TV. My guess is that it would work with any glasses that support IR sync.

Does anyone have competing model IR glasses (Mits/Sammy/Panny/etc) combined in use at the same set up? That would help confirm.
post #367 of 517 Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Different manufacturer's IR emitters and their corresponding glases operate at different IR frequencies. I beleive one of the reasons for this is so that different models can sit side by side on a showroom floor.
post #368 of 517 Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Well I just got my Viewsonic DLP glasses and was able to compare them with my IO Systems glasses on my Samsung DLP. I literally held the glasses on top of each other and just moved them up and down to compare. While the IO glasses certainly get the job done, and are affordable, the Viewsonics are clearly superior.
* Brighter
* No uneven dimming at lens edges like the IOs (creates some crosstalk)
* More comfortable
* Several size nose pieces
* Sturdier

The quality and comfort difference is enough that I just placed an order for a second pair today. I'm not gonna knock the IO glasses too much though, they've worked well, they were quite affordable, and they were shipping when the Viewsonics were still vaporware.
post #369 of 517 Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

Well I just got my Viewsonic DLP glasses and was able to compare them with my IO Systems glasses on my Samsung DLP. I literally held the glasses on top of each other and just moved them up and down to compare. While the IO glasses certainly get the job done, and are affordable, the Viewsonics are clearly superior.
* Brighter
* No uneven dimming at lens edges like the IOs (creates some crosstalk)
* More comfortable
* Several size nose pieces
* Sturdier

The quality and comfort difference is enough that I just placed an order for a second pair today. I'm not gonna knock the IO glasses too much though, they've worked well, they were quite affordable, and they were shipping when the Viewsonics were still vaporware.

How much did you paid and were did you buy it from, I wll love to get a set.
post #370 of 517 Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nescosmo View Post

How much did you paid and were did you buy it from, I wll love to get a set.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PGD-...9230968&sr=8-1

$89 and back in stock at this time.
post #371 of 517 Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Just bought a MTS 82738 and was wondering which DLP glasses to buy. I am left eye dominant but rest of family is right handed and most likely right eye dominant.

Considering Viewsonic and Optima glasses, since the Viewsonic can switch synch, can right and left eyed dominant viewers watch at the same time by switching synch modes on the glasses.

Thanks for the help.
post #372 of 517 Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No. the Sync change does not correct for a weak left or right eye,it corrects for a cross-eyed signal
You mighth have eye strain trying to watch 3D. Do you have any problem watching 3D movies at the theater?
post #373 of 517 Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 AM

Walford

Thanks for the clarification. Read a review on AMAZON that made me think the dominant eye had significance. Do you have a preference on which of the glasses gives the best results. Except for switching synch Optima and viewsonic appear to be identical.
post #374 of 517 Old 11-09-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have a dominant eye you may get eye strain watchin 3D at Imax you may want to get the Otimas so you can turn off one eye and not get eye strain while other watch with both eyes.
If you think you may be using both DLP-Link and and IR glases get the viewsonics so you can have types of glases sync properly.
post #375 of 517 Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I was noticing some ghosting in a few movies with my X102s, so thought I'd compare them to my IO Display shutters. The IO Display shutters removed the ghosting I was seeing on the left/right side of the screen with my X102s, so I'm thinking maybe the curvature of the lens has something to do with it.

While I like the IO Display quality (no ghosting) better than the X102s, I like the overall build of the Xpands better, as they block out more light.

I may have to give the Viewsonics a go.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #376 of 517 Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Liked: 44
Sears to Sell 3D Glasses

Quote:

National retailer Sears, Roebuck and Co. will soon be offering 3D glasses for home and theatrical use.

Los Angeles-based XpanD said it is rolling out the active-shutter Universal 3D glasses at Sears (and Sears.com), and claims they are compatible with any 3D-ready, infrared-emitting display.

“This opportunity gives Sears a new product that satisfies a growing customer need as interest in 3DTV will be stronger than ever this holiday season and into 2011,” said Maria Costeira, CEO of XpanD.

The Universal 3D glasses were available in October for pre-order on Amazon for $129.

Separately, Oakley Inc. officially bowed its previously announced 3D Gascan glasses ($120), which can be worn to view any theatrical movie projected by RealD technology.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3-d...-glasses-21096
post #377 of 517 Old 11-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Sears to Sell 3D Glasses

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3-d...-glasses-21096

A lot of Sears stores near me (Maryland) have the X103 glasses in stock already. I bought 2 pairs from them a week or so ago.
post #378 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 AM

here is my update on the PGD-150 viewsonics with samsung hlt5687s and mits with gefen with ps3.sent back original viewsonics and received new pair from viewsonics california.they shipped to london ontario.for some reason they have the exact same problem.will not stay in sync with tv.just one more thing to try and that will be my hdmi cable and then i guess it is time to give up on them.they have been used a total of 2 hours.for people using these glasses with the same tv any suggestions?do i need a certain type of hdmi cable and could this be an issue?thanks
post #379 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

here is my update on the PGD-150 viewsonics with samsung hlt5687s and mits with gefen with ps3.sent back original viewsonics and received new pair from viewsonics california.they shipped to london ontario.for some reason they have the exact same problem.will not stay in sync with tv.just one more thing to try and that will be my hdmi cable and then i guess it is time to give up on them.they have been used a total of 2 hours.for people using these glasses with the same tv any suggestions?do i need a certain type of hdmi cable and could this be an issue?thanks

How close or far are you sitting from the tv?
post #380 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

Wow that's a bummer. I've got the pre-LED version of that TV I believe, the normal lamp based 56" unit and my Viewsonics work like a champ.

I have a Panasonic 300 player with dual HDMI and actually have a very basic setup; I run only one HDMI cable (the main of course) to my Onkyo receiver and I have the Onkyo output connected to the #3 (PC) HDMI input on the Samsung. I also have the Samsung's menu name for the #3 input set to "PC" per several user's recommendation. No problems at all so far, just perfect 3D.
post #381 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcterp View Post

A lot of Sears stores near me (Maryland) have the X103 glasses in stock already. I bought 2 pairs from them a week or so ago.

Have you posted a review on them? I'm assuming you are using them with the Mits kit emitter.

As usual, curious about how they handle the teal blacks. Do they produce normal blacks as well as the x102s, or teal?

Also, as usual, curious about whether they reveal the polarization rainbows like the x102s.

Also, as usual, do they sync in the standard or reverse setting?

Thanks!
post #382 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Have you posted a review on them? I'm assuming you are using them with the Mits kit emitter.

As usual, curious about how they handle the teal blacks. Do they produce normal blacks as well as the x102s, or teal?

Also, as usual, curious about whether they reveal the polarization rainbows like the x102s.

Thanks!

I have exactly the same questions regarding the crystaleyes 5. If anyone has them, please post, and indicate whether or not they will work with the Mits kit emitter if known. Thanks.
post #383 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have exactly the same questions regarding the crystaleyes 5. If anyone has them, please post, and indicate whether or not they will work with the Mits kit emitter if known. Thanks.

Why would the crystaleyes 5 need an emitter if they are DLP link?
post #384 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM

I have the Mitsu starter kit and the glasses that came with it. I have the 73838 TV. I need more glasses - can the Mitsu glasses and DLP glasses work at the same time or do I need to have all the same type
post #385 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

Why would the crystaleyes 5 need an emitter if they are DLP link?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to ask whether crystaleyes 4 works with the mits emitter. You are right, emitter is irrelevant for crystaleyes 5.
post #386 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhbrit View Post

I have the Mitsu starter kit and the glasses that came with it. I have the 73838 TV. I need more glasses - can the Mitsu glasses and DLP glasses work at the same time or do I need to have all the same type

viewsonics will other will not.
post #387 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

No polarization rainbows with them. They sync in "normal" mode like the mitsubishi glasses. I actually sold my 2009 73837 and got in on the Pauls TV deal for a 73738 so I no longer have the dlp-link issue. What I will do tonight is turn on DLP-link and compare the glasses. I'll let you know if the X103 glasses better block out the flash. Brightness is seems to be the same between them. The colors are a bit different though. The Mitsubishi glasses seem to make the picture take on a "cooler" tint. The X103's make the image look slightly "warmer". I actually prefer the X103's in this regard. Not a big difference though. The x103's are heavier and less comfortable than the mitsubishi glasses, but I find them acceptable and definitely more comfortable than any DLP-link glasses I have used.
post #388 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoodily View Post

How close or far are you sitting from the tv?

i have tried every distance from tv you can think of.i was about to try standing on my head but thought how foolish i would look.they simply wont stay linked.also tried every setting contrast brightness setting.maybe the set isn't bright enough for these glasses.
post #389 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcterp View Post

No polarization rainbows with them. They sync in "normal" mode like the mitsubishi glasses. I actually sold my 2009 73837 and got in on the Pauls TV deal for a 73738 so I no longer have the dlp-link issue.

Did you have the x103s with your old TV to determine whether the rainbows were there? I'm wondering if the new TVs may have eliminated the rainbow issue (do you see it if you tilt your head 45 degrees?). If you still have other DLP Link glasses that revealed the rainbow, do they still reveal it on the new TV even though the x103 doesn't? Just making sure the x103s really do avoid the rainbow, rather than your new TV doing so on its own.

Comparing the x103s to the mits glasses with DLP Link on (will your new TV even produce an IR sync with DLP Link turned on?), I take it that the x103s have much better black colors then.
post #390 of 517 Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Did you have the x103s with your old TV to determine whether the rainbows were there? I'm wondering if the new TVs may have eliminated the rainbow issue (do you see it if you tilt your head 45 degrees?). If you still have other DLP Link glasses that revealed the rainbow, do they still reveal it on the new TV even though the x103 doesn't? Just making sure the x103s really do avoid the rainbow, rather than your new TV doing so on its own.

Comparing the x103s to the mits glasses with DLP Link on (will your new TV even produce an IR sync with DLP Link turned on?), I take it that the x103s have much better black colors then.

I got rid of the old TV before getting the X103's. However, I do see the same rainbow pattern on the 2010 TV when tilting my head using the X103 and Mits glasses. So I'm all but certain that the polarization rainbows are still present on the 2010 models and that the X103's avoid them in the same manner as the Mits glasses. I no longer have DLP-Link glasses.

The IR sync is still active with DLP-Link turned on. I'll get back to you later tonight or tomorrow with a comparison.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page