3D Shutter DLP Glasses: REVIEWS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 517 Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have one of the "old" Sammys that are "3D Ready"; a 61A750 LED DLP and I have decided to not wait too much longer to take the 3D Plunge - I just added the Arcsoft 3D Addon to my TotalMedia Program.

I have spent MUCH time trying to find ALL 3D Glasses that are compatible with my HDTV and also any REVIEWS of the same??? I am reading over and over recently about new 3D Shutter Glasses [some DLP] made by Viewsonic, Panasonic, and LG + already knew of those RED ones 101, 102 and 103's + those Razor-I Glasses that come with emitter and Tridef software for $149.

Does anyone here know IF any of those NEW offerings above would work with my set? Also - does anyone here use the last one I refer to - if so - please review it and/or any 3D Glasses that would work on my DLP???

TKS michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 517 Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

I have one of the "old" Sammys that are "3D Ready"; a 61A750 LED DLP and I have decided to not wait too much longer to take the 3D Plunge - I just added the Arcsoft 3D Addon to my TotalMedia Program.

I have spent MUCH time trying to find ALL 3D Glasses that are compatible with my HDTV and also any REVIEWS of the same??? I am reading over and over recently about new 3D Shutter Glasses [some DLP] made by Viewsonic, Panasonic, and LG + already knew of those RED ones 101, 102 and 103's + those Razor-I Glasses that come with emitter and Tridef software for $149.

Does anyone here know IF any of those NEW offerings above would work with my set? Also - does anyone here use the last one I refer to - if so - please review it and/or any 3D Glasses that would work on my DLP???

TKS michael

Anything that supports DLP link will definitely work (at least some viewsonics support it and Xpand x102s definitely do). I bought Xpand x102s on Wed. and they are supposed to get here friday. Everything I read about them has been very positive and I hope my wearing of glasses already doesn't hinder the x102s at all.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #3 of 517 Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Anything that supports DLP link will definitely work (at least some viewsonics support it and Xpand x102s definitely do). I bought Xpand x102s on Wed. and they are supposed to get here friday. Everything I read about them has been very positive and I hope my wearing of glasses already doesn't hinder the x102s at all.

TKS - I too wear glasses and am leaning in the same direction that you have gone; PLEASE share with us how you like the 102's after you try them out for a bit.
michael
post #4 of 517 Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Everything I read about them has been very positive and I hope my wearing of glasses already doesn't hinder the x102s at all.

I have a number of these glasses (X102's ) and have hosted several 3D viewing parties with them. The folks who wore glasses seemed to enjoy them just fine. They fit well over existing glasses. The best part....they're very sturdy and waterproof. So I imagine they will hold up to usage over the long run quite well.

-----Chris
post #5 of 517 Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Well my experience with the x102's at least with my Mitsubishi dlp has been less than stellar. I see lots of ghosting and They tend to lose sync a lot. Also compared to my nvidia 3D vision glasses the x102's are very heavy and uncomfortable.

I am really bummed about the performance, of these x102's I was hoping to do away with having to use my computer and the nvidia emitter, but no luck. It's kind of a pain to get set up each time but the viewing experience is drastically better so I am sticking with this option.
post #6 of 517 Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinefski View Post

Well my experience with the x102's at least with my Mitsubishi dlp has been less than stellar. I see lots of ghosting and They tend to lose sync a lot. Also compared to my nvidia 3D vision glasses the x102's are very heavy and uncomfortable.

I am really bummed about the performance, of these x102's I was hoping to do away with having to use my computer and the nvidia emitter, but no luck. It's kind of a pain to get set up each time but the viewing experience is drastically better so I am sticking with this option.

What model Mits do you have?

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #7 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:

What model Mits do you have?

I have the 73837, it's last years model. Also My Blu-Ray player is the Panasonic xxx350 model and my AVR is the Pioneer Elite 94TXH.

Another thing just incase anybody gets the same idea I had, you cannot use the nvidia glasses the same time as the DLP Link glasses. Because for whatever reason the DLP Link glasses emediately disable themselves after about a second or two if the nvidia glasses are running.
post #8 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 06:04 AM

HI Martinefski

Do you have any CFL/fluorescent lights on in the room? I have a Mits 73837 and 2 pairs of X102s. They work great, solid sync even if I turn away for a moment and no ghosting. I learned the hard way that my overhead CFL lights in the room must be off. They cause the glasses to go haywire and lose sync repeatedly. If not you may want to look into sending them back under warranty, they should not be causing any problems like that.
post #9 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM

My x102's do not seem to shut off. Period. I took the batteries out overnight and put them back in this morning, 30 minutes later they are still on. How long should it take for them to turn off?
post #10 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idamon View Post

My x102's do not seem to shut off. Period. I took the batteries out overnight and put them back in this morning, 30 minutes later they are still on. How long should it take for them to turn off?

I haven’t paid much attention but within 30 minutes they should be off (the lenses have a green tint). I do know that they don’t immediately shut off after losing the signal. I think it takes at least a few minutes of no signal before they go back to green. They are a little too easy to turn on in my opinion, just a light brush on the side of mine will pop them on.
post #11 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are you leaving them OUT in the light?

I read their manual on line and I do believe they advise you in there that they will stay on and wear out the batteries IF you do not store them kind of OUT of the light. Hope this helps.

michael
post #12 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

Are you leaving them OUT in the light?

I read their manual on line and I do believe they advise you in there that they will stay on and wear out the batteries IF you do not store them kind of OUT of the light. Hope this helps.

michael

Thought about that... dont think it is true but I keep them in the dark anyhow and no avail. Going on 45 minutes now and still dark, not green... I think they are defective and I will have to exchange. A higher up with a 3d company told me alot of people complain about this happening with the x102's... I am glad they are not terribly expensive.
I hate the batteries so bad. If you are thinking about getting these glasses beware the batteries are designed to break the glasses. It is so difficult to get them in and out with the key that it breaks my heart having to man handle the glasses like I do.
post #13 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcterp View Post

HI Martinefski

Do you have any CFL/fluorescent lights on in the room? I have a Mits 73837 and 2 pairs of X102s. They work great, solid sync even if I turn away for a moment and no ghosting. I learned the hard way that my overhead CFL lights in the room must be off. They cause the glasses to go haywire and lose sync repeatedly. If not you may want to look into sending them back under warranty, they should not be causing any problems like that.

You know I actually do, but I really think they were probably off since I usually try to veiw movies with the lights out. I will check into this when I get home, hopefully that will resolve my problem. That way, all I have to do is get over their over all bulkiness and I won't feel so bad about wasting close to 300 bucks on two pair.
post #14 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I hate the batteries so bad. If you are thinking about getting these glasses beware the batteries are designed to break the glasses. It is so difficult to get them in and out with the key that it breaks my heart having to man handle the glasses like I do.

Totally agree on the batteries. You have to jam them in there like a gorilla and twist, very awkward.

Quote:

You know I actually do, but I really think they were probably off since I usually try to veiw movies with the lights out. I will check into this when I get home, hopefully that will resolve my problem. That way, all I have to do is get over their over all bulkiness and I won't feel so bad about wasting close to 300 bucks on two pair.

Hopefully it works out. For a day or two I was pissed thinking I got two pairs of defective glasses. Turns out fluorescent lighting interferes with the DLP-Link light flashes from the TV.
post #15 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

My x102's just got here, and while it might not be ideal to wear them over my glasses it seems to be working out ok. Playing Avatar: the game looks very cool.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #16 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcterp View Post

Hopefully it works out. For a day or two I was pissed thinking I got two pairs of defective glasses. Turns out fluorescent lighting interferes with the DLP-Link light flashes from the TV.

Hey thanks a lot that seemed to be the problem, although I still feel the nvidia glasses look a tad bit better these work good enough and now I won't have to hassle with the computer unless I really want to. Now if only they were not so kluncky, you don't happen to have a quick fix for that as well do you?...LOL
post #17 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey thanks a lot that seemed to be the problem, although I still feel the nvidia glasses look a tad bit better these work good enough and now I won't have to hassle with the computer unless I really want to. Now if only they were not so kluncky, you don't happen to have a quick fix for that as well do you?...LOL

Just curious, but why do you feel they a clunky?

They seem ok to me, but then again I'm used to wearing glasses all the time already. I haven't seen 3D in theaters yet, so I can't compare the x102s to anything else either.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #18 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Just curious, but why do you feel they a clunky?

They seem ok to me, but then again I'm used to wearing glasses all the time already. I haven't seen 3D in theaters yet, so I can't compare the x102s to anything else either.

Well compared to the nvidia glasses, they weigh I am guessing close to twice as much and the frames are probably two to three times thicker. Also the glasses themselves don't have the usual glasses hinges so they take up a lot more space.

Another thing I just don't get why xpand went for the obviously over the top tacky look and probably the worst design in the history of battery changing one has ever seen. I mean I really don't get that battery thing at all, could have they came up with a worse design? I think they would have really had to try.

The only thing I can really say good about them is they are easy to use and to be fair that is a pretty big thing.
post #19 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Well compared to the nvidia glasses...
Another thing I just don't get why xpand went for the obviously over the top tacky look and probably the worst design in the history of battery changing one has ever seen. I mean I really don't get that battery thing at all, could have they came up with a worse design? I think they would have really had to try.

The only thing I can really say good about them is they are easy to use and to be fair that is a pretty big thing.

I am certain that it is designed the batteries as such for two reasons: 1) decreases glasses lifetime so you buy more and 2)the plastic coating on the battery makes it propriety. They easily could have popped a cr2032 in there and had a plastic cover, but then alot of there profit goes to energizer. I cannot believe how blatantly they would extort people by making them purchase their batteries at atleast buck fifty a pop... you would think idiot customers (me) would be smarter and go with glasses with universal batteries.
post #20 of 517 Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well compared to the nvidia glasses, they weigh I am guessing close to twice as much and the frames are probably two to three times thicker. Also the glasses themselves don't have the usual glasses hinges so they take up a lot more space.

I found the batter changing to be pretty simple personally.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #21 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:

I found the batter changing to be pretty simple personally.

Glad you like the design, come back and let us know how much you like it after you accidentally throw those keys away. I know you would never do that

My point was the design is not very elegant, I am glad you are satisfied with them that's all that counts.
post #22 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad you like the design, come back and let us know how much you like it after you accidentally throw those keys away. I know you would never do that

My point was the design is not very elegant, I am glad you are satisfied with them that's all that counts.

Yea, if I threw the keys away I'd probably feel a lot different.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #23 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

The XpanD X101 and X102 ASGs share the same design. Since the X101 is designed for theaters it has a priority of anti-theft. Since the X102 follows the same design it makes sense that the batteries are hard to remove without the key!
post #24 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

The XpanD X101 and X102 ASGs share the same design. Since the X101 is designed for theaters it has a priority of anti-theft. Since the X102 follows the same design it makes sense that the batteries are hard to remove without the key!

No. Dumb. Battery is like 12 cents or less. People are not going to take out batteries from a well designed case (aka has a screw) in the dark, after a movie, before the ushers show up. Grow up. It is designed to make more money. Period.
post #25 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No. Dumb. Battery is like 12 cents or less. People are not going to take out batteries from a well designed case (aka has a screw) in the dark, after a movie, before the ushers show up. Grow up. It is designed to make more money. Period.

I'm sure XpanD also doesn't want the movie theaters that have the X101s to be using a competitors battery. If you hate this situation so much then don't buy their glasses. Get the RealD CE5 instead. Oh wait, the CE5 cost $600 so it actually is WAY cheaper to get the X102 since the batteries are $1.30 each it would take ~360 battery replacements before the CE5 and X102 would cost the same. Just to let you know, that's 43,200 HOURS of operation (at 120 hours per battery quoted on XpanD's site)!
post #26 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

I'm sure XpanD also doesn't want the movie theaters that have the X101s to be using a competitors battery. If you hate this situation so much then don't buy their glasses. Get the RealD CE5 instead. Oh wait, the CE5 cost $600 so it actually is WAY cheaper to get the X102 since the batteries are $1.30 each it would take ~360 battery replacements before the CE5 and X102 would cost the same. Just to let you know, that's 43,200 HOURS of operation (at 120 hours per battery quoted on XpanD's site)!

Agree with you there. That's why I bought them, much cheaper in the short run. I am just not happy about it and look forward to the next generation when this tech isn't quite so new and they can't get away with propriety because consumers wont buy. Of course they do not want theatres using energizer instead of Xpand... but soon competitors will release xpand copies with replaceable affordable batteries and xpand will be forced to do the same to keep up... it will be awesome... in the future when people actually want to buy this crap.
post #27 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agree with you there. That's why I bought them, much cheaper in the short run. I am just not happy about it and look forward to the next generation when this tech isn't quite so new and they can't get away with propriety because consumers wont buy. Of course they do not want theatres using energizer instead of Xpand... but soon competitors will release xpand copies with replaceable affordable batteries and xpand will be forced to do the same to keep up... it will be awesome... in the future when people actually want to buy this crap.

Assuming that even happens. I've seen a bunch of people write it off recent simply because they have to wear the active shutter glasses, or simply calling it a gimmick (like "oh no, somethings popping out of the screen at me"). It seems to me that many people just want it to go away (after playing avatar in 3D, I certainly don't) without giving it a chance.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #28 of 517 Old 06-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Assuming that even happens. I've seen a bunch of people write it off recent simply because they have to wear the active shutter glasses, or simply calling it a gimmick (like "oh no, somethings popping out of the screen at me"). It seems to me that many people just want it to go away (after playing avatar in 3D, I certainly don't) without giving it a chance.

i looked at xpand web sight and the 103`s are regular cr2032 batteries and it sounds like that will be the case with the 104`s. when they come out in jan 2011
post #29 of 517 Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have two different types, but won't be completely setup until late this month.
post #30 of 517 Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM

This guy made a review a while back.
http://www.bedfordbraces.com/reviews...1000review.htm

Can't tell how pertinent it is because it's a couple years old already, when no 1080p HD content really existed.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page