HDMI Splitter with 3D Support? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone used the new HDMI Splitter with 3D Support? If this works it can really help for the people who have legacy receivers and dont want to get new ones.The website is hdtvsupply.com/at-hd-v12.html It says that it is 1.3 but supports 3D but not HDMI with ethernet. If this is a good product i would buy this so I can get my 3d and HD-audio from my PS3 when it gets its 3D Blu-ray update rather than getting the panny 3d blu ray player. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Any splitter that supports HDMI 1.3 will support the splitting of 3D HDMI 1.4a formated content since it can be sent over older HDMI cables. Only new HDMI 1.4 functionality such as ethernet over HDMI require a different splitter since these functiions require more wires in the cable. The cables you have toay will also support the 3D blu-ray update from your PS3.
Is the splitter you are considering an inexpensive Y splitter or a powered splitter? I didn't check the link.
post #3 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

it's a powered splitter
post #4 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Any splitter that supports HDMI 1.3 will support the splitting of 3D HDMI 1.4a formated content since it can be sent over older HDMI cables.

That is not my understanding. An HDMI splitter isn't really a splitter. It's a repeater. There are separate handshakes between the source and the "splitter", and the "splitter" and the targets. 1.3 devices don't have knowledge of the 3D protocols, and would fail as being a 3D capable device during the handshake.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #5 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sghavim View Post

Has anyone used the new HDMI Splitter with 3D Support? If this works it can really help for the people who have legacy receivers and dont want to get new ones.The website is hdtvsupply.com/at-hd-v12.html It says that it is 1.3 but supports 3D but not HDMI with ethernet. If this is a good product i would buy this so I can get my 3d and HD-audio from my PS3 when it gets its 3D Blu-ray update rather than getting the panny 3d blu ray player. thanks

From your link:

Quote:
Supports EDID functionality. The unit will detect the first HDMI/DVI output source's EDID and record it in the unit.

I believe it will work with 1.3 receivers by running the 1st output to the TV and the 2nd output to the receiver. Pretty expensive fix, IMO.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #6 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I suspect most people that need one will wait for a $50(ish) model from monoprice.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I suspect most people that need one will wait for a $50(ish) model from monoprice.

Heck, I'd have no problem paying $99.99 for it, if it worked.
post #8 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

[snip]...I believe it will work with 1.3 receivers by running the 1st output to the TV and the 2nd output to the receiver. Pretty expensive fix, IMO.

I believe I was wrong. The unit will trick the source into sending the 3D signal, but the AVR might still not be able to process it for audio.

See this post, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18796205 discussing the viability of using the Gefen HDMI Detective for the same purpose.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #9 of 71 Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

I believe I was wrong. The unit will trick the source into sending the 3D signal, but the AVR might still not be able to process it for audio.

See this post, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18796205 discussing the viability of using the Gefen HDMI Detective for the same purpose.

If that's true, how does the panasonic 3d Blu-Ray player with two HDMI outputs work? Does it send an audio only signal on one of the outputs?
post #10 of 71 Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post

If that's true, how does the panasonic 3d Blu-Ray player with two HDMI outputs work? Does it send an audio only signal on one of the outputs?

Yes - you can configure one of the HDMI outputs ( I believe it is the SUB OUT) to output HD Audio only - no video.

post #11 of 71 Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi858 View Post

Amazon has the ViewHD 1x2 splitter with 3D support at the best price.

"ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Power Splitter Supports 3D 1080P Video" at $59.95 with priority mail shipping!

so would this work for someone that has a 3d blu-ray player without 2 hdmi outputs so that someone could still get the uncompressed audio on a receiver that is not 3d capable. i.e. If i wanted to later used my PS3 as my
3d bluray player and still get trueHD audio?
Thanks
-Chris
p.s. i also assume there isn't any negative effect on picture or sound quality?
post #12 of 71 Old 07-20-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see that splitter listed on Amazon (or anywhere that I looked) with 3d support.

HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #13 of 71 Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

so would this work for someone that has a 3d blu-ray player without 2 hdmi outputs so that someone could still get the uncompressed audio on a receiver that is not 3d capable. i.e. If i wanted to later used my PS3 as my
3d bluray player and still get trueHD audio?
Thanks
-Chris
p.s. i also assume there isn't any negative effect on picture or sound quality?

the link is amazon.com/ViewHD-Power-Splitter-Supports-Newest/dp/B003WJ92NC/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1279644470&sr=1-14

I also im trying to find out if this works for the ps3 and a non 3d receiver anyone have this splitter?
post #14 of 71 Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Report test 3D player->onkyo 905(HDMI 1.3 AVM)-> Samsuung C-7000
Hdmi cable ...1 is 1.4 another 2 is 1.3b
Check 3D player to TV.....====3D working Fine...
Using AVR hdmi pass trough ======3D do no work....
Using HDMI splitter. 1 in and 2 out ( with powersupply)=====3d work ,,,,But AVR cannot detect any HD sound(AVR display no HD sound contack)
Just go back to the computer Cable shop...Refund the HDMI splitter money>>>
If possible...PLease let me know....Which brand HDMI splitter can working fine..
Thanks
post #15 of 71 Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysonline View Post

Using HDMI splitter. 1 in and 2 out ( with powersupply)=====3d work ,,,,But AVR cannot detect any HD sound(AVR display no HD sound contack)
...PLease let me know....Which brand HDMI splitter can working fine..
Thanks

I don't think there's any way you'll get HD sound and 3D with that hardware. You either need a player with two HDMI outputs, or a 1.4 receiver, or SOME way of converting the frame-packed signal into something a 1.3 receiver can understand. Fortunately for us with DLP TVs, the Mitsubishi checkerboard converter will fulfill that last option (assuming that it works with a 1.3 AVR between it and the TV). But your TV isn't going to understand the checkerboard format. One possible hacked together workaround would be: 3D player -> HDMI splitter -> Mits adapter -> Geffen HDMI detective -> receiver, with the other side of the splitter going straight to the TV. But that's a clunky setup.

See here.

post #16 of 71 Old 07-21-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Only a HDMI 1.4 receiver knows how to get the sound from the HDMI 1.4 packed frame output from a 3D disk being played in a 3D BR disk player.
post #17 of 71 Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM

Is the framepacking issue present in both Bitstream and LPCM
post #18 of 71 Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

has anyone used the HDMI splitters that say they have 3D support ?
post #19 of 71 Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Im currently using this $13.95 splitter with my PS3 & DTV receiver to Mitsubishi adaptor n DLP TV n have no issues getting the 3D content.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HDMI-v1-3-HDCP-3...item53e286c85c
post #20 of 71 Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar2010 View Post

Im currently using this $13.95 splitter with my PS3 & DTV receiver to Mitsubishi adaptor n DLP TV n have no issues getting the 3D content.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HDMI-v1-3-HDCP-3...item53e286c85c

That is a switch, not a splitter. With that you pick if you want to watch the PS3 or the DTV receiver. Most people want the opposite, where you hook up a PS3 to both a TV and an Audio Receiver.

Anyone find a splitter that works good though with 3D? I have a DirecTV box that I split to 2 TVs; however once I got a new 3D TV the 3D channels don't work since the EDID information isn't passed through.
post #21 of 71 Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valestij View Post

Anyone find a splitter that works good though with 3D? I have a DirecTV box that I split to 2 TVs; however once I got a new 3D TV the 3D channels don't work since the EDID information isn't passed through.

Thats what im looking for too. I dont have a 3d blu ray player to try out the splitters since im waiting for the ps3 to get its update in september. But nobody seems to have purchased any of these so called splitters with 3d support to see if it can handle 3d video to a 3dtv and HD-audio to a 1.3 AVR.
post #22 of 71 Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Does anybody know which splitter destination display's EDID data is sent back to the splitter input source. Is is based on splitter output port number and/or on which ouputs ports have active connctions?
With 2D content DirectTV does not check the make/model number in the destinations EDID data to see if it is one they will output to like it does with 3D content.
post #23 of 71 Old 07-23-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Does anybody know which splitter destination display's EDID data is sent back to the splitter input source. Is is based on splitter output port number and/or on which ouputs ports have active connctions?

It depends on the splitter. Some splitters have their own EDID, and report back the capabilities of the LEAST capable display connected to them (so that the sending device won't send a signal that every connected device can't handle). But some are based on port. I have a 1x2 splitter that reports back the EDID of whatever is connected to port 1. With that splitter, I could set my receiver up to output 1080p, even though the display connected to port 2 could only handle 720p or 1080i. I'm planning to connect it downstream of my Mits adapter (whenever it finally arrives), with port 1 connected directly to the TV, and port 2 going to the receiver. In theory, this should allow me to pass the signal through my receiver without having to buy an EDID spoofer, but I'm not sure it will help my situation: it's an older splitter, and I don't think it's 1.3. I'm not sure that it can pass audio.

But if it DOES work (even w/o audio), it may be cheaper to find a cheap (1.3+) 1x2 splitter that does the port 1 copy vs. unique EDID, than it would be to buy a Geffen HDMI detective.

post #24 of 71 Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If your splitter can pass through 1080i or 720p HD content it is capable of passing through 3D content since the bandwidth requirement are the same.
post #25 of 71 Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not the video bandwidth I'm worried about (yet), it's whether or not it can handle audio over HDMI. This is a relatively old splitter. I seem to remember some people having issues with it in that regard. It wasn't an issue for me, because I was using it to get video to other rooms (which weren't HDMI audio capable anyway). Now that I'm considering repurposing it, I'll have to check and see what it can do.

But if this trick DOES work, then it, combined with a switch upstream of the Mits adapter, could be used to connect both the DirecTV DVR and the PS3 to the Mits adapter, upstream of the receiver (a little cheaper than getting an HDMI detective).

post #26 of 71 Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Liked: 44

Quote:
ViewHD proudly introduces this FIRST HDMI 2 Port Power Spltter to deliver 3D 1080P video. This splitter has been fully tested to support all 3D formats upto 1080P, such as those from Samsung and Sony.

post #27 of 71 Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

I hadn't considered the HD audio issue. My receiver doesn't decode HD audio, I feed it LPCM from the PS3. I also have a projector

So I need some way to split the output of the ps3 to a 3dtv, while still getting audio to my receiver *and* sending video to my projector.. I'd probably settle for DTS audio via optical if necessary until I update my receiver.
post #28 of 71 Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 AM

I'm a little skeptical of this splitter since it doesn't say exactly how it works. I have a cheap $30 monoprice splitter that "works" with 3D as long both EDIDs report they are capable. Since it takes the output with the lowest resolution and reports that back it doesn't work very well for me. Right now I'm using it but can only have one TV plugged in at a time (which defeats the purpose of the splitter).

If anyone can figure out it this thing uses the EDID info on like port 1, or if it has it's own EDID that just reports it's 3D capable that would be greatly appreciated. If it's the later, I'd still be worried since DirecTV I know will look at the EDID for specific 3D TV manufactures.
post #29 of 71 Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 AM

I've got a different problem...

I just received my Mits 3DC-1000 from HSN and have it connected up to HDMI Port 1 on the back of my 65C9 TV. What I'd like to do is use an HDMI Splitter to connect the Mits adapter to both HDMI Port 1 and HDMI Port 2. I will have Port 1 configured for 3D (3D Setting switched on in TV Menu) and Port 2 will be set to 3D off and will be used for viewing 2D content. This way I should be able to uniquely set brightness and color control for each input and should be able to simply toggle between inputs when switching from 2D to 3D content.

Has anyone tried this? Would something like the following product fit the bill?

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit.../dp/B000KUYTDE
post #30 of 71 Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 PM

While waiting for the PS3 3D Blu-ray upgrade I thought I would try the 3D channels on DirecTV with the Mits 3DC-1000 3D adapter.

First you have to upgrade to an HR21 or better DirectTV DVR. When it arrived, I replaced my HR20 and plugged it into my existing HDMI signal path: HR21 to Integra DHC 9.9 AV Tuner to Mits 3DC-1000 to Mits WD-73838 TV. I tuned to channel 103 and on the screen it said ....not a 3D TV.... I called DirecTV and they said you can't go through an AV Receiver.

I plugged the HR21 HDMI cable directly into the 3DC. A very nice 3D picture emerged, quite frankly better then I expected. Of course, no sound through my AV Tuner based surround system. (No, I don't want to give up HD loss-less Audio and go with a coax connection or play the audio through the TV - which BTW does work.)

I guess I have the same question, is there a HDMI splitter that will give me two outputs, one with HD audio for the Integra to decode and one with 3D Video for the Mits?

I am also assuming I will have exactly the same problem when I implement the PS3 Blu-ray 3D upgrade. I bet the HDMI based PS3 3D signal won't work through the Integra.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page