AVS Official Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D Starter Pack Topic! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was lucky and had to be in Vegas this week for business. I acquired the much anticipated Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D Starter Kit from an RC Willey store there.

I have played with the new toys for a day now. I will attempt to give a review of the components and the overall 3D effect with my home theater system, thus far.

My 3D system:
Mitsubishi WD-73737 73 DLP HDTV
DirecTV HR-24 500 Satellite DVR receiver
Panasonic DMP-BDT300 Bluray player
Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Converter box and remote
Mitsubishi IR emitter Model #SSG-2100ME/ZA
Mitsubishi Active shutter 3D glasses Model #SSG-2100MG/ZA

As many of you know, the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 Bluray player already does native checkerboard output, so this device required no converter box to interface with the TV.

The question I wanted first answered was this: The directions for connecting the 3DA-1 adaptor show the device needing conversion to checkerboard (in my case, the DirecTV receiver) connecting to the 3DA-1, and the 3DA-1 connecting to the TV. This makes obvious sense. BUT, then the instructions indicate that you should connect the IR emitter to the output on the 3DA-1. I thought this odd, because then only one device at a time could be made to function with the Mits glasses, requiring a HDMI 1.3 switcher for multiple devices, and all 3D device needing to loop through the adaptor. I only have one other 3D device, the Panny Bluray, and it does not need to go through the 3DA-1 for checkerboard. So I remembered the IR emitter port on the back of the TV set itself, and thought I would try connecting the IR emitter there, hoping for a more global solution. The upshot: This approach DOES work! So you won't have to be plugging and unplugging your IR emitter, or worry about getting a HDMI switcher if your Bluray player outputs checkerboard. Do note though, that for some reason, the TV may turn off the 3D mode, when you are switching between sources. After you have switched from Satellite or cable viewing to 3D DVD, verify that the TV is still in 3D mode (no reverse needed).

Let's get to the good stuff. The adaptor seems well constructed and sturdy with it's own remote. It's simple to connect one device at a time for checkerboard conversion to your HDTV. The kit even comes with an extra HDMI cable. Nice touch.

The IR Mits 3D glasses are wonderfully light weight. They also come with a nice microfiber cleaning cloth. I had previously owned some XPand X102s for 3D Bluray watching, and I'll tell you, the Mits glasses weigh half as much, and are very much more comfortable. I easily watched Coraline last nite without any nose fatigue. The Mits glasses themselves appear to be a clone of the Samsung SSG-2100AB glasses. And actually, I had borrowed a pair of the Samsung glasses from a friend, I can report to you that the Mits glasses are indeed IDENTICAL in every way and function to the Sammy 3D battery glasses. Upshot: Go get yourself the Samsung glasses on eBay and save yourself a bundle, until the Mits glasses drop in price. They are the same glasses!

Mits 3D glasses performance with the IR emitter. I played around with various locations for the emitter, on top of the set, to the lower corner, etc. There doesn't seem to be any difference where I locate the emitterit all works great! The glasses themselves, are faintly green tinted, and seem to work very well with the emitter. I did not discern any issues with connectivity as I moved around my home theater (my furthest seating is about 12 feet from the TV). At no point side to side, was there an issue either. The glasses don't display any noticeable flutter (detectable lens switching). Very easy on the eyes. Yes, they do cut down on light somewhat, but that's what is so great about a DLP displayit can be very bright if you want it to be.

The DirecTV receiver now allows unfettered access to the 3D channelsno issues. I watched part of a Peter Gabriel concertwonderful! Then I verfied that my pre-recorded DVR World Cup matches played without issues. I know what I'll be watching this weekend!!

On to 3D Bluray on the Panny DMP-BDT300 : Blurays look great with the Mits glasses. I viewed parts of Cloudy, M vs. A, and Coraline. All were lovely to behold on the system. Did I mention how comfortable the glasses were? Are they as sturdy as the Xpand's. No. Howeverlet's put it this way. Do you let anyone throw your eyeglasses around or abuse them. I doubt it. Just keep an eye on the kids with these and they'll be fine. If you can't control your little monsters, you'd better get the Xpands. Note about X102s and Mits IR glasses. I don't have access to the X102's any longer as I returned them due to their overall heaviness and uncomfortable design for me personally. However, I can verify that I did have to use the 3D REVERSE setting on my TV when using the XPands to get the display correct. So I can assume that you cannot mix the Xpands and Mits glasses during a single viewing, as the Mits glasses do not require the TV REVERSE setting for 3D viewing.

What else can I say? My verdict: Mitsubishi has a great product on it's hands. A very nice intro to 3D. Now if they can just get the kit and adapter into wide release, everyone will be happy! I know I am thoroughly satisfied with it.

Let me know if you have questions. I'll try to answer them!

---Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Great review

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #3 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Thanks for the great review.

Quote:

(my furthest seating is about 12 feet from the TV).

Is that the furtherest you can get back from the screen? In other words, do you have an open floorplan that you can move further back and test the max distance the signal travels? I guess that is my one concern about whether to use DLP-link or IR....the distance. I have an open room plan and some people in the back might be 20 feet or so from the screen. From what I've read the distance on the DLP-link glasses is up to 40 feet.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Liked: 16
Thank you for taking the time to do what you did and write it up. Great job!

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #5 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Thanks for the great review.

Is that the furtherest you can get back from the screen? In other words, do you have an open floorplan that you can move further back and test the max distance the signal travels? I guess that is my one concern about whether to use DLP-link or IR....the distance. I have an open room plan and some people in the back might be 20 feet or so from the screen. From what I've read the distance on the DLP-link glasses is up to 40 feet.

My home theater is wider than it is deep. But to verify for you, I did walk out of the room through french doors on the side, and did still maintain a sight line with the IR emitter and the TV. I measured that distance at 30 feet, and there was NO PROBLEM at all losing IR sync. I could still clearly see the 3D effect on the TV. To verify, I switched the glasses on and off to make sure I seeing things truly. All good!
post #6 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Fantastic write up on the Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D Starter Kit, ChrisHawks! Thanks for the thorough info. I appreciate the adviseability of using the Panny Blue ray player too as I am going to purchase one today!
post #7 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Chris do you know anybody that has a PS3 that would let you borrow it to test it?

IF THE PS3 displays the 3d demo games correctly ......im may be buying a DLP 82738 instead of the Samsung PN637000.

BIGGER IS BETTER....i know the picture want be as sharp as a plasma,but it should be as sharp as my Epson 8100 pj shouldnt it?
post #8 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Can u hookup the adapter after your 1.3 receiver?
post #9 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

yeah try that too ;-)
post #10 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Yes! The user's guide shows using a HDMI 1.3 receiver as a switching source. So that is what Mits is recommending to use multiple 3D sources with it.
post #11 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHawks View Post

Yes! The user's guide shows using a HDMI 1.3 receiver as a switching source. So that is what Mits is recommending to use multiple 3D sources with it.

im crossing my fingers hoping it works!!!!
post #12 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Are you saying you in fact used the samsung glasses with this emitter? That would be great if you did!
post #13 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Thanks for reporting your results, Chris !!!
The Panny 3D Blueray player is a natural choice for this setup.

That's what we who have Mitsu 3D ready DLP sets were hoping for.

With the Texas Instruments 3D info and a fair amount of optimism, that's what I expected.
post #14 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

im crossing my fingers hoping it works!!!!

I want to known if my onkyo 805 will pass full 3d to the adapter.
post #15 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The IR Mits 3D glasses are wonderfully light weight. They also come with a nice microfiber cleaning cloth. I had previously owned some XPand X102s for 3D Bluray watching, and I'll tell you, the Mits glasses weigh half as much, and are very much more comfortable. I easily watched Coraline last nite without any nose fatigue. The Mits glasses themselves appear to be a clone of the Samsung SSG-2100AB glasses. And actually, I had borrowed a pair of the Samsung glasses from a friend, I can report to you that the Mits glasses are indeed IDENTICAL in every way and function to the Sammy 3D battery glasses. Upshot: Go get yourself the Samsung glasses on eBay and save yourself a bundle, until the Mits glasses drop in price. They are the same glasses!

Sweet, since this this is now fact I'm about to sell my X102's and get some Sammy glasses. I find the X102 heavy and to big for my head and want to keep sliding off.
post #16 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 AM

yeah I have a ONKYO 606 1.3 hdmi.
post #17 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm very disappointed about the xpands not working with the Mits at the same time. I'll have to sell one of the sets (or trade with someone) I guess, or figure out a way to wear them upside down.

Quote:

Do note though, that for some reason, the TV may turn off the 3D mode, when you are switching between sources. After you have switched from Satellite or cable viewing to 3D DVD, verify that the TV is still in 3D mode (no reverse needed).

It's been my understanding that when you change sources the 3D setting is on/off depending on how you last had that source set up. For example I used my Panny 350 (hdmi 3) w/3D mode on, but then went to directTV (hdmi 1) and it was off, but it was back on when I went to HDMI 3 the next time.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #18 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

Sweet, since this this is now fact I'm about to sell my X102's and get some Sammy glasses. I find the X102 heavy and to big for my head and want to keep sliding off.

If you have 2 pair I will trade you my Mits pair when I get the kit.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #19 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinefski View Post

Are you saying you in fact used the samsung glasses with this emitter? That would be great if you did!

I did , in fact, use the Samsung SSG-2100AB glasses with the Mits system, and they are identical and perform just as well as the stock Mits glasses. They are obviously from the same vendor, and for all intents and purposes, are the same glasses. Identical in every way.

--Chris
post #20 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM

Chris do you have a 1.3 audio receiver?
post #21 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey Chris would you be able to post a pic of the IR Emitter? Would like to see what it looks like compared to other emitters (Nvidia & IO).
post #22 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

If you have 2 pair I will trade you my Mits pair when I get the kit.

I have 3, so I just might take you up on that. 2 for 2 that is.
post #23 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

No I do not. I use a Harman Kardon AVR 7200. Sorry!
post #24 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How do you have your BD player and the adapter with your satellite input connected to different ports? I thought HDMI 4 was the only port that supported 3D in the TV and would require having the adapter plugged into it.
post #25 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post

Hey Chris would you be able to post a pic of the IR Emitter? Would like to see what it looks like compared to other emitters (Nvidia & IO).

Sure! I'll try to attach some pics of the emitter.
LL
LL
post #26 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post

How do you have your BD player and the adapter with your satellite input connected to different ports? I thought HDMI 4 was the only port that supported 3D in the TV and would require having the adapter plugged into it.

My Mits is letting me use HDMI port 1 and 2 for my 3D Bluray player and satellite/Mits converter respectively. No issues.
post #27 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No I do not. I use a Harman Kardon AVR 7200. Sorry!

....have a 1.3 audio receiver!

---C
post #28 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 PM

" If you can't control your little monsters, you'd better get the Xpands. "

I have several of those monsters, LOL

I would imagine that if the Samsung SSG-2100AB glasses worked perfectly, then the Samsung SSG-2200KR (kids model) should also.....

Will have to wait and test until Amazon ships.........
post #29 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Chris, Thanks for the review. Please tell me there are no rainbows with the mits glasses. Really hoping that problem is only with x102s.
post #30 of 2966 Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post

I believe that some (possible all?) of Samsung's DLP RPTVs required the 3D source device to be plugged into a specific port. I don't believe the Mits sets have this restriction.

On my Mits set, I can engage 3D mode on any of the 3 HDMI inputs.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page