Xpand 102 and samsung a750 rainbows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hi i have watches the panasonic demo disc on the panny 350 bluray player hooked to a 61 a750 dlp while wearind xpand 102 suaa glasses and on the left and right side of the dvd i can see purpleish streak halfway down the screen on both sides incredibly noticable when they show a sky scene also in the coral scene i can see severe ghosting around the fish. also havethe grand canyon adventure and the same thing with that one no ghosting just the purple streak on both sides when i take the glasses off sky if perfect blue color when i put them back on purple streks appear again. what do you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Did you rename HDMI 3 "PC"?

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 07-11-2010, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yes i did the 3d is great it is just those streaks on each side of the screen really annoying takes away from the 3d experience i think it has to be the glasses
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

yes i did the 3d is great it is just those streaks on each side of the screen really annoying takes away from the 3d experience i think it has to be the glasses

I'm not quite prepared to comment on this as I won't be receiving my BD 350 until tomorrow, but, I do have an HL67A750 and Xpand X102 glasses.

I put on a full screen white test pattern and there are rainbow colored vertical streaks a few inches wide on both sides of the screen.

Here's where it get weird - I pulled the battery out of the glasses and the effect was still there.

Here's where it gets more weird - I tried my Samsung side by side rechargeable glasses and got the rainbow colors with power on and faint shadowy streaks with the power off.

Tomorrow I'll see what effect, if any, the rainbow streaks have on normal programming.

Buzz

Buzz

Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you turned theX102 glases off you were no longer properly receiving 3D content since the glases have to apply power to the inactive eys lens to make it as opaque as possible.
Have you tried turning down the brightness level on the TV?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I'm not quite prepared to comment on this as I won't be receiving my BD 350 until tomorrow, but, I do have an HL67A750 and Xpand X102 glasses.

Buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

If you turned theX102 glases off you were no longer properly receiving 3D content since the glases have to apply power to the inactive eys lens to make it as opaque as possible.
Have you tried turning down the brightness level on the TV?

I guess I should have elaborated. My comment about the 350 BD player arriving tomorrow was to indicate that I don't have any 3D content available today. What I observed was the glasses, both Xpands and Samsung SbS, creating images and color in 2D. Perhaps the cause is the Samsung DLP screen. I have no clue but hope that I do not see the same extra imaging while viewing normal 3D content, starting tomorrow.

Buzz

Buzz

Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

what would turning down the brightness on the tv do. will it eliminate the streaks on the screen. then woudnt the 3d picture be darker and not have that pop to it
Old 07-11-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Turning down the brightness helps to insure that that that glases which do not turn 100% opaque for the inaactive eye are not subject to crosstalk from very light and bright scenes such as the bridge scene in the MvA BR disk. I do not know if it will have any effect on the purple lines.
Others with 3D DLP TVs have reported that turning down the brightnes greatly reuduced ghosting when playing 3D content.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm now set up for 3D. There is some rainbowing. I just posted here.

It doesn't bother me a bit though but I can only speak for myself.

Buzz

Buzz

Old 07-13-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

on my samsung 61 a750 with the 102 i see a light purple streak from the top to about halfway down the screen on both sides. i dont know if is the same thing you see because mine is not a rainbow like you see. also on the demo disc in the coral scene the fish sort of have a ring around them almost like double feature i wonder if you see that to. is this ghosting
Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

on my samsung 61 a750 with the 102 i see a light purple streak from the top to about halfway down the screen on both sides. i dont know if is the same thing you see because mine is not a rainbow like you see. also on the demo disc in the coral scene the fish sort of have a ring around them almost like double feature i wonder if you see that to. is this ghosting

I don't get any of these effects on my 67A750. I see no rainbows or ghosting whatsoever with my X102's. The demo disk plays perfectly through either my3D Plugin on the PC or through the Panasonic 350 player.

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhetman View Post

I don't get any of these effects on my 67A750. I see no rainbows or ghosting whatsoever with my X102's. The demo disk plays perfectly through either my3D Plugin on the PC or through the Panasonic 350 player.

Perhaps it's the screen itself then. The images on my A750 are immovable, fixed, only changing perceptible colors with a change in the background color and intensity, and the images are exactly the same with both pair of my X102's.

Buzz

Buzz

Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I don't see anything like that. The only thing even close was when the fish with the black stripes pop out of the screen there "might" be a little bit of extra material over the dorsal fins but it is impossible to tell if this is extra content or the color of the fin itself. I put this scene in pause and took a hard look. Even if it is extra content, 1) I can't tell, and 2) it doesn't bother me one bit.

One odd thing about the demo disc, take the coral scene episode for example, is that in the opening scene where you look down at the water the waves are not moving. The background is a stationary picture. Also, in the Grand Canyon demo, in some scenes it looks like the far background is a painting. Weird, eh?

Buzz

Buzz

Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i dont see these purple streaks while watching regular bluray movies or tv but if i put the 102 glasses on the purple streak is there on the screen take them off streak gone. i sent my two pair back today. will be getting replacements in about a week or so
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i dont see these purple streaks while watching regular bluray movies or tv but if i put the 102 glasses on the purple streak is there on the screen take them off streak gone. i sent my two pair back today. will be getting replacements in about a week or so

I think you're going to be disappointed.

I just put a 100% white image that I use for calibration on full screen. My vision is 20/10.

1) No glasses - I cannot detect any excess images

2) Ordinary polarized sun glasses - I can just barely make out the images and suspect I could see more if the glasses weren't so dark

3) Samsung rechargeable SbS 3D glasses -
a) pwr off - very faint image
b) pwr on - image slightly more clear

4) Xpand 102 pair #1
a) pwr off - very faint image
b) pwr on - clearly visible image

5) Xpand 102 pair #2 - exactly the same as number 4 above

I am more or less convinced that the "problem" is the display panel itself but I must repeat myself and say that I am unbothered by what I see.

Buzz

Buzz

Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Certainly if your entire screen is the same color there can be no ghosting due to crosstalk since there are no images on the screen to ghost.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Certainly if your entire screen is the same color there can be no ghosting due to crosstalk since there are no images on the screen to ghost.

This has nothing to do with ghosting or crosstalk. These are vertical streaks and mine are somewhat faintly rainbow colored.

Buzz

Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I responded in the other thread. I have a HL61A750. Nvidia 3D Vision. I get the rainbows described. I have not tried to calibrate anything or change HTPC settings because everything else seems to be fine.

Matt