How to clean 3D shutter glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found this at the Samsung site:

"The proper way to clean the 3D glasses is one lens at-a-time. It is not advisable to clean them in the same way that you would clean regular glasses (one finger on each lens), as it could damage the glasses. Do not clean both sides (front and back) at the same time as this will damage the glasses.

3D glasses actually have 2 screens in each lens, and putting pressure on both sides at the same time will squeeze the 2 lenses together, causing them to come in contact with each other and distort 3D viewing. When cleaning, use a clean, microfiber cloth and clean one side first, then then other. Do not clean both sides of the lens together.

Do not use any chemicals containing alcohol, solvents, or surfactant. Do not use any chemicals such as wax, benzene, thinner, mosquito repellant, lubricant, or cleaners. These may result in discoloration or cracks on the glasses surface and cause or cause the indication labels to peel off. Do not spray any cleaning liquid directly onto the glasses."

Obviously you have to be very careful when you attempt to clean these glasses. Are they really that fragile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyperson View Post

I found this at the Samsung site:

"The proper way to clean the 3D glasses is one lens at-a-time. It is not advisable to clean them in the same way that you would clean regular glasses (one finger on each lens), as it could damage the glasses. Do not clean both sides (front and back) at the same time as this will damage the glasses.

3D glasses actually have 2 screens in each lens, and putting pressure on both sides at the same time will squeeze the 2 lenses together, causing them to come in contact with each other and distort 3D viewing. When cleaning, use a clean, microfiber cloth and clean one side first, then then other. Do not clean both sides of the lens together.

Do not use any chemicals containing alcohol, solvents, or surfactant. Do not use any chemicals such as wax, benzene, thinner, mosquito repellant, lubricant, or cleaners. These may result in discoloration or cracks on the glasses surface and cause or cause the indication labels to peel off. Do not spray any cleaning liquid directly onto the glasses."

Obviously you have to be very careful when you attempt to clean these glasses. Are they really that fragile?

Thank you.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Treat them as if you are cleaning two LCD HDTVs sandwiched next to each other with 1mm separation...
post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 AM

thanks for the info ....
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info however after reading that I am still unclear as to what I am supposed to clean the glasses with. When it comes to clear surfaces I would usually think to use Windex so that it leaves no streaks; however isn't Windex alcohol based? Anyone know what products are safe to use on these glasses?

Also, is it a safe assumption to think that you can use the inside of the cloth pouch the glasses come in to clean them with, or will that possibly scratch the lenses?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmantis17 View Post

Thanks for the info however after reading that I am still unclear as to what I am supposed to clean the glasses with. When it comes to clear surfaces I would usually think to use Windex so that it leaves no streaks; however isn't Windex alcohol based? Anyone know what products are safe to use on these glasses?

Also, is it a safe assumption to think that you can use the inside of the cloth pouch the glasses come in to clean them with, or will that possibly scratch the lenses?

when i get my mitt starter kit i will be buying the xpand x wipes then you no you have the right stuff to clean glasses. hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

That essentially sounds like you can't use any type of fluid or anything at all except for the microfiber cloth. In my experience, things just don't get clean by just gently wiping them. I guess they expect us to just live with dirty glasses, or buy new ones?

FWIW, my rechargeable Samsungs came with a cleaning cloth in addition to the pouch. I don't think I'd use the pouch itself.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Reply 3D Tech Talk