XpanD X103 vs Monster Vision Max 3D Glasses!? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 236 Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was on the Home Theater cruise last week.

We had a Digital Projection projector that costs something north of $100K, with Xpand glasses that are specially made for that projector. A 3D test pattern created by industry guru Joe Kane revealed ghosting.

I'm going to blame the glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 236 Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

We had a Digital Projection projector that costs something north of $100K, with Xpand glasses that are specially made for that projector. A 3D test pattern created by industry guru Joe Kane revealed ghosting.

how was the spam and Pop Tarts ?
post #93 of 236 Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

how was the spam and Pop Tarts ?

Tasty!
post #94 of 236 Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Liked: 10
Ok, received these glasses in the mail on Saturday.

So far, ghosting is improved, though not non-existent on the IMAX NASA 3D. There is a lot of high contrast/parallax content on this title, so it will be difficult to eliminate entirely.

Motorstorm - Still ghosting in the beginning of the level around the wheels, but once the race starts, it's a night and day improvement over the stock Panasonic glasses (old design).

Black Ops - There is still some ghosting during highly detailed, high contrast scenes (wire fences in dark areas), but again, much better than the old glasses.

Overall weight and fit of the Xpand 103 is fantastic. Much more comfortable.
There is also no reflection on the lenses as it does not have a space like on the stock Panasonic glasses.

The #1 improvement is eye strain. I could only play Black Ops for half an hour before having to take a break. I've gone 2 hours with these glasses, with no eye strain whatsoever. This justifies the purchase in and of itself.

They are now shipping these with 3 batteries as well, so let the marathon 3D-ing begin...
post #95 of 236 Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Actually both the glasses and the projector are not to blame. Not sure if you had a chance to attend Cedia in Atlanta this year, the X103 Universal 3D active shutter glasses were on display in the Cedia Tech Pavilion with the exact same setup as the cruise you were on. There was no ghosting or issues with either the projector or the glasses. It has to do with the settings within the projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

post #96 of 236 Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM

From the reviews on here, I'd surmise that the xpand 103 glasses are slightly reducing crosstalk on plasma sets, but not helping on LCD.
post #97 of 236 Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 AM

Rechargables actually deter me. It's easy enough to replace a cheap 2032.

If the glasses use rechargables, what do you do when the rechargable battery stops taking a charge (will happen eventually)?
Can the rechargable battery be replaced or would the glasses be useless?
post #98 of 236 Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Tech specs on the monster glasses from Amazon, my emphasis

Quote:

Technical Details
Fully compatible to work with all 3D-enabled televisions.
World's first and only to work via radio frequency - no line of sight required.

What? Why?
post #99 of 236 Old 11-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjroddy View Post

Tech specs on the monster glasses from Amazon, my emphasis

What? Why?

IR (Infra Red) signals have to be line of sight. Nothing can be in their way. If something is, then the signal is blocked. Just put your hand over the end of your TV remote and press a button - nothing happens.

RF (Radio Frequency) does not work on line of sight. It can penetrate objects and or go around them.

IR is like a laser beam while RF would look like the expanding rings in a body of water if you dropped something into it.
post #100 of 236 Old 11-25-2010, 03:44 PM

RF does resolve the line of sight issue that IR has but it does not solve your eyes still needing a line of sight to see the 3D on the TV.

The intention of RF was to reduce the potential interference that IR could have. Both RF and IR have interference, bottom line is they both have issues.
post #101 of 236 Old 11-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

I do understand the technology... it just tickled my sense of humor that they attempt to use the fact that these glasses will work when you can't see the TV as a selling point.
post #102 of 236 Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikel View Post

...This is why I do not use an RF mouse anymore (Bluetooth is more desirable), too many electronics use RF now to communicate and I find that my mouse loses communication with the dongle.

Bluetooth isn't RF? How does it work? Magic?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #103 of 236 Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjroddy View Post

I do understand the technology... it just tickled my sense of humor that they attempt to use the fact that these glasses will work when you can't see the TV as a selling point.

How long does it take for DLP link or IR link to re-sink. when someone walks in between you and the emitter or the screen?
post #104 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Alright, I give up... I'll confess I have no direct personal experience of 3D viewing at home, I'm waiting for my free 3D starter kit to arrive from Mitsubishi.

I actually was more joking than anything else when I started this, and I know from bitter experience over many years here and elsewhere on the Interwebs that I have no chance of ever managing to convince any Monster fan that his cable/powersmoother/whathaveyou, and presumably now his glasses, aren't the absolute best thing since sliced bread or sway his rabid belief that the incredible improvement in his viewing/listening experience since buying aforesaid accessories far outweighs the ridiculously exhorbitant price he paid for them.

If I do eventually find a need to purchase glasses that work without line of sight to the TV for myself I will apologise without reservation and order a large slice of humble pie.
post #105 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Huh?

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #106 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bluetooth is very high frequency low powered RF.

Both DLP and IR glases should resync almost instantly since both the DLP and IR signals contain info as to whch lens to open and therefore which lens to close.
post #107 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 05:24 PM

Can anyone say how the Xpan X103 glasses are as far as fitting over prescription glasses? We currently have the Sony active-shutter glasses and they're okay. I just don't want to order two pairs of these and discover they don't work well with current glasses. Many thanks.
post #108 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
If the monster 3D glasses do in fact support displays with either vertical polarization (most LCD 3DTV) or horizontal polarization (HP 3D laptops and JVC 3D projectors) then one possibility would be to have the polarizing element of the LCD shutter lens removable and then Monster could supply both vertical and horizontal polarizing elements with the glasses and the user just snaps in the one that works best with their 3D display.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #109 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 PM

I would hope that IR glasses will try to atleast keep some sort of consistent timing while the IR link is momentarily lost as someone walks by the TV.

RF just makes way more sense. Could you imagine if wireless gaming controllers were IR?! good grief.
post #110 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Liked: 44
Bit Cauldron Technology - MonsterVision

http://www.bitcauldron.com/technology.html
post #111 of 236 Old 11-26-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotofhope View Post
Can anyone say how the Xpan X103 glasses are as far as fitting over prescription glasses? We currently have the Sony active-shutter glasses and they're okay. I just don't want to order two pairs of these and discover they don't work well with current glasses. Many thanks.
While the glasses that we used on the cruise were not the 103 universal models, I would find it difficult to believe that they would manufacture a different frame for that application, as that would not be cost effective. They fit fine over my eyeglasses. We watched two movies during the trip.
post #112 of 236 Old 11-27-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since the x103 glases have more built in electronics they probably could not use the X102 frames.
post #113 of 236 Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Is the general concensus for LED/LCD, so far, that the Xpand 103s do not (or only marginally) improve ghosting/crosstalk? Even the amazon.com reviews are not too flattering for LCD/LED. I'm a Sony user and apparently they reduce loss of image when you tilt your head (that's about the only plus I can find). I'd really like to to grab a pair but if there's not a tangible improvement, then I don't want to waste my $ on them.

By the way, thank-you mrjktcvs for your comment on prescription glasses.
post #114 of 236 Old 11-27-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
FYI - The AVS Store (that operates this forum) has great prices on the X103 glasses. Call or email any of the sales staff for pricing info.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #115 of 236 Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I picked up a pair of x103 glasses at Sears. They work fine with my Samsung PN50C680 plasma. They do seem to give a little warmer colors than the regular Samsung glasses. They seem a little brighter too, but not by a lot. Of course you can compensate for the color difference with adjustments, but there will be this slight difference when an audience uses a mixture of glasses. I don't find the difference enough to be a concern. I did not find a difference in crosstalk.

I like the x103s. I had to use electrical tape to cover most of the sensor on the regular Samsung glasses, because they kept losing sync. There is a separate thread on that. But these work fine out of the box. They are a little heavier than the Samsung glasses, but not uncomfortable.

I also like the idea that I could potentially use these glasses with other TVs or computer displays that I might have in the future.
post #116 of 236 Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

If the monster 3D glasses do in fact support displays with either vertical polarization (most LCD 3DTV) or horizontal polarization (HP 3D laptops and JVC 3D projectors) then one possibility would be to have the polarizing element of the LCD shutter lens removable and then Monster could supply both vertical and horizontal polarizing elements with the glasses and the user just snaps in the one that works best with their 3D display.

That is a fantastic idea Ron!! That couldn't be too hard to do but maybe the failure rates would go up with cracking issues.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #117 of 236 Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 PM

I thought I would post my findings so far. I have 2 pair of the Panasonic 3D glasses (same make and style that come with their 3D TVs) and decided to get a couple more pair. I ordered and received 2 pair of the XpanD X103 glasses today. I have the 54" Panasonic 3D plasma.

What I like about the xpanD X103 glasses:

They function very similarly to the stock Panasonic glasses with the advantages of blocking more light (they have enclosed side flaps) and being very comfortable. I also like the soft-rubber on the earpieces and the various nose pieces.

What I didn't like about the xpanD X103 glasses:

I notice a bit of lag when changing scenes occasionally...sometimes it actually hurts your eyes as it briefly causes a focus loss. I'm not sure what is causing this as I am sitting about 12 feet away from the screen dead-center.

This was observed by watching the 3D Blu-Ray edition of Polar Express and flipping between the the xpanD X103 and Panasonic glasses every so often for about an hour.

It is for this reason...I prefer the Panasonic 3D glasses over the xpanD x103 from a visual standpoint...but definitely like the comfort level of the xPand X103.

My brother has a 50" Samsung 3D Plasma...I plan to take these xpanD X103 glasses over there and see how they do on the Samsung vs. the default Samsung 3D glasses.
post #118 of 236 Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter + 2 Pairs of XpanD X103 Unversal Glasses + IR Emitter for $329.99 after $20 Google Checkout Discount till 12/16/10

do a search for tru3d.com and look for SKU 034517 at link http://www.tru3d.com/products/view_p...uct=Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter + 2 Pair XpanD X103 Unversal Glasses + IR Emitter

For Two pairs of X103, emitter and adapter, best price I have seen online from tru3d. Corporate office based out of Oakland, currently shipping product out of Florida, around $15-$20 shipping
post #119 of 236 Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Just got two new Xpand 103s for 3D viewing on our Sony 52HX909 LED.

Initial impressions:
* Love that you can tilt your head when viewing 3D without losing 3D effect.
* Darker, however, as per Xpand's recommendation, once you set the glasses brightness to max, we experienced no loss of viewing. Several times I switched between our Sony and Xpand glasses to test this.
* No significant improvement in/for crosstalk, however, slightly darker lenses may mask the crosstalk effect.
* A seemingly better fit, however, I found the weight on the nose more cumbersome than the Sony glasses.
* No noticable lag/delay problems.
* A little difficult to establish the initial Sony connection, however, once set, there are no worries.
* Because of the darker lenses, I found that I needed to take the glasses off in order to see the DVD and Receiver lights for adjustments.
* No noticable improvement in/for ambient light flicker. Watching 3D in the dark is best.
post #120 of 236 Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is the general concensus for LED/LCD, so far, that the Xpand 103s do not (or only marginally) improve ghosting/crosstalk? Even the amazon.com reviews are not too flattering for LCD/LED. I'm a Sony user and apparently they reduce loss of image when you tilt your head (that's about the only plus I can find). I'd really like to to grab a pair but if there's not a tangible improvement, then I don't want to waste my $ on them.

Get the free polarizers from Sony that eliminate the "head tilting" problem.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page