IR Emitter versus DLP Link - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 78 Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, here's a question I've been trying to get an answer to, and I'm almost afraid that I already know the answer...

I have a WD-65737. Purchased the 3D Starter Pack with the glasses and the IR emitter. I just got the XPand X102 DLP-Link glasses. Is it possible to play a 3D Program using both types of glasses (IR Emitter AND DLP-Link), or will there be a problem because the DLP-Link glasses need to be reversed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have Samsung DLP, and am using the Mits converter box with the Geffen spoofer. I had ordered the Viewsonic PG-150 DLP-link glasses and have returned them (by the skin of my teeth!) because they would not stay in sync. I ordered the Xpand X103 universal IR glasses with emitter and what a difference! They just work perfectly, and they don't use those funky proprietary batteries that the X102's use. Highly recommend the X103's for use with the DLP TV's.

ISF Calibrator
post #33 of 78 Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lehecka View Post

OK, here's a question I've been trying to get an answer to, and I'm almost afraid that I already know the answer...

I have a WD-65737. Purchased the 3D Starter Pack with the glasses and the IR emitter. I just got the XPand X102 DLP-Link glasses. Is it possible to play a 3D Program using both types of glasses (IR Emitter AND DLP-Link), or will there be a problem because the DLP-Link glasses need to be reversed?

I remember reading something from Tru3d that you're able to use IR and X102 glasses at the same time if you plug the IR emitter into the adapter and not the TV (or vice versa... can't remember which). I think they were saying that plugging the IR emitter into the adapter reverses the signal for the IR glasses compared to plugging the emitter directly into the TV 3d sync port (meaning they too would work in reverse along side the X102s). Worth a shot.
post #34 of 78 Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I beleive the post you are referring to was written by the indivifual who hijacked the Tru3D reps thread. No on else ever confirmed that going through the adapter to the emitter reversed the eye sync signals.
post #35 of 78 Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure no one actually hacked the Tru3D account... To me it looked like one of their employees was having a bad day and wrote a post that made them look extremely bad as a company... hence the whole hijack story.

It seems silly to me that an ex-employee would hijack their account only to then provide incorrect technical information to forum posters... pretty sure no one's life is that dull.

Anyways, give it a shot. All the information Tru3D's ever given me has been top drawer.

I think someone also sells Mits compatible adapters that allow you to reverse the IR signal on the adapter itself. I forget what company that was though.
post #36 of 78 Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you are correct about what actually happened my using the term hijack was most likely not the best term to use.
post #37 of 78 Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Aren't you guys concerned about the emitter causing link issues when used in conjunction with DLP link glasses?

Also what does the PQ look like with the IRs when viewing 3D with DLP link on?
post #38 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

An IR emitter is so far from the DLP-Link white flash, I just don't think it would matter. I could see the white flash maybe decreasing the rang of the IR emitter though.
post #39 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lehecka View Post

No, there is no problem since you going to have to reverse the eye order on DLP-Link glasses 50% of the time you switch from full screen to desktop.

Mathew Orman
post #40 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The reversal doesn't happen with checkerboard displays as I understand it. I believe you will be watching Checkerboard on your particular display.
post #41 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

The reversal doesn't happen with checkerboard displays as I understand it. I believe you will be watching Checkerboard on your particular display.

Correct. DLP Link glasses will sync in the same order 100% of the time on checkerboard displays (Mits and Samsung DLPs).
post #42 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I've missed that.
Thank you for correcting.
The checker board system have no defects.
So there could be a problem with reversed eye order.

Mathew Orman
post #43 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

An IR emitter is so far from the DLP-Link white flash, I just don't think it would matter. I could see the white flash maybe decreasing the rang of the IR emitter though.

I bet you will get intermittent link issues. Not enough to make a movie unwatchable, but enough to be noticed.
post #44 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs View Post

I bet you will get intermittent link issues. Not enough to make a movie unwatchable, but enough to be noticed.

Actually white flashes from DLP-Link contain IR spectrum so the only separation from getting the interference is the carrier frequency difference.

Mathew Orman
post #45 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I use both now and maybe this is why I do have some sync issues with the 3D Vision glasses. Really mild and nobody else has really noticed it. In other words it a quick out of sync then back situation with them when it does happen. Not every screening though.
post #46 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

Actually white flashes from DLP-Link contain IR spectrum so the only separation from getting the interference is the carrier frequency difference.

Mathew Orman

Did you just explain why there would be intermittent link issues from emitter to DLP link glasses. Because I tested this with my DLP link glasses with IR emitter on my 738, and it does cause intermittent link issues.
post #47 of 78 Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I use both now and maybe this is why I do have some sync issues with the 3D Vision glasses. Really mild and nobody else has really noticed it. In other words it a quick out of sync then back situation with them when it does happen. Not every screening though.

That's exactly what happens to DLP link glasses as a result of the emitter. It's almost like you think the batteries are low right? See my post above....I did not test IR glasses with DLP link though....so cannot comment on your situation. If I understand Mathews reply correctly, it would seem that mild interference would go both ways.
post #48 of 78 Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 PM

I suspect this is largely due to the fact I sit so close to the TV (like 6-7 ft I think) and already had really bad sync problems, but I actually had a chance to test both IR and DLP Link since I still have my Viewsonics and the Ultimate 3D IR based glasses. The IRs seem fine (don't seem to notice anything outrightly wrong with them), yet the DLP wow. The color banding is ridiculously bad now and the entire picture is washed out. It's even worse than no IR...

It seems like as long as you don't sit super close (I'm think 10'+??), start with DLP-Link, and if it seems like there's something really wrong, shoot for IR? I can understand why you'd go from DLP-Link -> IR, but to currently use IR and then go get DLP-Link glasses seems odd to me..

Also I got the Mits emitter for the Samsung LED-lit DLP TV. Where's the best place to put it? Right now, it's on top, resting along the center of the bezel.

The Viewsonics are going back to Amazon!
post #49 of 78 Old 12-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My ViewSonics work great sitting just 6-8' (head to TV) or so from my 61" LED light engine samsung HL61A750..
post #50 of 78 Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Did you just explain why there would be intermittent link issues from emitter to DLP link glasses. Because I tested this with my DLP link glasses with IR emitter on my 738, and it does cause intermittent link issues.

Then the carrier frequencies must be to close and when IR signal enters DLP-Link glasses the carrier has sufficient signal level to be decoded mistakenly by the circuitry make the interference possible.
You could place a blue plastic filter over the sensor spot on DLP-Link glasses to completely reject IR spectrum thus eliminating the interference.

Mathew Orman
post #51 of 78 Old 12-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

Then the carrier frequencies must be to close and when IR signal enters DLP-Link glasses the carrier has sufficient signal level to be decoded mistakenly by the circuitry make the interference possible.
You could place a blue plastic filter over the senor spot on DLP-Link glasses to completely reject IR spectrum thus eliminating the interference.

Mathew Orman

Thanks for the tip.
post #52 of 78 Old 12-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Hopefully the blue filter works. How bad is the interference? Does it cause the DLP Link glassses to lose sync often?
post #53 of 78 Old 12-25-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I use X102s and IO Display IR glasses without issue, at the same time. The IO Display transmitter must be using a frequency that isn't effected by the white flashes.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #54 of 78 Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I use X102s and IO Display IR glasses without issue, at the same time. The IO Display transmitter must be using a frequency that isn't effected by the white flashes.

So frustrating this whole thing is.... I have some Optoma's using DLP link and got some xpand x103's thinking they should work dlp link as well (their other lines do and it says universal!) but apparently they only work with an emitter. and of course you can't get an emitter by itself.

So... according to this, I could get the mitsu 3d starter kit, use the adapter to invert the emitter, and be able to use the emitter glasses (mitsu and xpand) and dlp link at the same time?
post #55 of 78 Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Can you use the adapter to reverse the emitter? Even if you could, wouldn't that pretty much render the IR glasses inop? (akin to trying to watch 3D with DLP link and having the DLP glasses set to standard). or can you switch L/R on IR glasses?
post #56 of 78 Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

I remember reading something from Tru3d that you're able to use IR and X102 glasses at the same time if you plug the IR emitter into the adapter and not the TV (or vice versa... can't remember which). I think they were saying that plugging the IR emitter into the adapter reverses the signal for the IR glasses compared to plugging the emitter directly into the TV 3d sync port (meaning they too would work in reverse along side the X102s). Worth a shot.

Quote:

Can you use the adapter to reverse the emitter? Even if you could, wouldn't that pretty much render the IR glasses inop? (akin to trying to watch 3D with DLP link and having the DLP glasses set to standard). or can you switch L/R on IR glasses?

Hmm, I was responding to the first quote above, but apparently that may not be correct information once I read the rest of the replies. So this may not work at all... or it may work. I don't have a starter set atm but think I may have to go this route.

I'm not super excited about the Optomas - mainly in the storage in that they don't fold and you have to keep the box they ship in to store them. The PQ and connection via dlp link seems to be very good however, which is obviously very important. It is nice and convenient. I do rememeber the mitsu's in the starter set seemed very comfortable when wearing them when i demo'ed in store. I don't know if I can wait for the xpand 104s but think ultimately I'll want to compare first hand the 2 technologies and may have to sell one type on ebay if they don't work together.
post #57 of 78 Old 12-27-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltDoc View Post

Hmm, I was responding to the first quote above, but apparently that may not be correct information once I read the rest of the replies. So this may not work at all... or it may work. I don't have a starter set atm but think I may have to go this route.

I'm not super excited about the Optomas - mainly in the storage in that they don't fold and you have to keep the box they ship in to store them. The PQ and connection via dlp link seems to be very good however, which is obviously very important. It is nice and convenient. I do rememeber the mitsu's in the starter set seemed very comfortable when wearing them when i demo'ed in store. I don't know if I can wait for the xpand 104s but think ultimately I'll want to compare first hand the 2 technologies and may have to sell one type on ebay if they don't work together.

Why not just get the X102s, since they support DLP-Link?

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #58 of 78 Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Why not just get the X102s, since they support DLP-Link?

Good question.... to which I don't have a great answer other than I'm not sure about the red. And they don't appear to have hinges either making storage a bit more difficult as the Optomas do. Of course I know no one looks good in these things so I should just get a pair of them for now and save my money on the emitter set for an extra pair of 104s. And if I sent back the x103s that would be even cheaper.

I think that DLP link will be the way to go but I'm just not sure and wanted to try both. Wish there was a cheap way to just get an emitter grrrrrrr

Obviously I haven't used the x103's yet but in regular light looking in the mirror the xpand 103s have more of a yellowish tint while the optomas have more of a bluish tint.
post #59 of 78 Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Don't get the XpanD 102. Your Optomas are superior in terms of clarity, blacks, and color. Plus they don't give you anymore flexibility than the Optomas you already have. They are straight up DLP link with no option to switch L/R and they use a proprietary battery.
post #60 of 78 Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM

Hi guys. Just got my new set last night a WD-73838 and will be using IR with it as i bought starter pack for the 2 glasses and the IR blaster. Will be seting up my new system in awhile, yet first i wanted to ask before i ordered, will these work with my system Samsung SSG-2200AR Rechargeable Adult 3D Glasses or would you recommend another. I need 2 more glasses for the family and maybe Ill buy a third for a guest perhaps.

The retailer suggested since i needed 2 more pairs to buy another starter pack and sell the rest of it. I'm not sure that's the best option, what do you think?

Last, im focusing on IR stuff now, but how is DLP... I know there is allot of discussion on this matter, yet its truly convoluted as to a general consensus as to which is the best. Thank you for your time.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page