post #61 of 75 Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptonydog View Post

I'm just going to get Monster. What they hey. You guys won't answer whether Rocket Fish is just as good and keep pushing monocables.

Yes, I think you should definitely stick with Monster cables. This advice only applies to you though. I think you deserve Monster quality.

Everyone else, do follow the advice most everyone else has been giving, i.e., a common length, quality hdmi cable needn't cost more than $5-$10, tops. $20 ish at the most extreme.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI cables are a whole different thing than the speaker wire on your 5 kilowatt car audio system(Where monster made their name). There is no need for protecting from heat from that massive wattage nor shielding that electrical noise in that demading environment(High end car audio).

If you aren't doing 3d $2.99 hdmi cables from the egg(Or the place many here are endorsing) will suffice and no one will ever know the difference. 1.4 spec cables are $10. Puleeze.

Incidentally, the same $2.99 cables cost $34.99 at not so great buy or wally world. I knew that was wrong and prompted me to order online and saved $30. The big box stores pull the same trick on Cat5 cables too, what a nice racket.
post #63 of 75 Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 AM

I got the Rocket Fish cables. 8ft run for just $59 so that's not so bad.

I did buy the monster 8ft run for $129 though. I think the surround sound is better but that's probably because I was using a 1st gen HDMI cable from about 5 years ago.
post #64 of 75 Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have a bridge for sale...

And I can rent you the second floor over a vacant lot if you're interested.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #65 of 75 Old 12-13-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptonydog View Post

I got the Rocket Fish cables. 8ft run for just $59 so that's not so bad.

Actually that's comically overpriced as well. ROFL
post #66 of 75 Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

What gets me is that he bought two 8 ft cables when he needed one.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #67 of 75 Old 12-13-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, your surround sound is a compressed bitstream being carried to your receiver, then decoded and sent to your speakers over analog cable. Thinking your new HDMI cable provides better sounding surround sound is confirmation bias to the extreme.
post #68 of 75 Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'll start my own line of HDMI cables. I'll call them Placebo Cables, and sell them for $40/ft. I wonder how many people will buy my "Place-Bo" Cables and rave about the signal improvement.

post #69 of 75 Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

I think I'll start my own line of HDMI cables. I'll call them Placebo Cables, and sell them for $40/ft. I wonder how many people will buy my "Place-Bo" Cables and rave about the signal improvement.

Snooptonydog will probably camp outside your store waiting to be the first person to buy them!
post #70 of 75 Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 AM

I feel that inexpensive hdmi cables are fine for short runs but I just finished my basement and have 2 identical movie/gaming areas. Each has a pannasonic 65" vt30, denon 2312, Xbox, pan 210 bluray player etc...

1 system uses 3' hdmi cables (I'm talking $5-$10 each) to the receiver and a 6' to the plasma with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Including 3d!

My problem came with the second system which required a 50' hdmi run in the wall from the tv to a closet with all the components. So...I thought I'd play it safe and a bought and ran 2 different 50' hdmi cables with a cost of around $50 each. Each one exhibited freezing/dropout issues. I don't recall which brands they were but both were rated 10.2gps, Ethernet, in-wall, and whatever else the latest specs are. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off since it is not practical to run another cable in the wall.

Since I already had 2 strikes I coughed up $350 for a Monster hd1000 or some bs model number like that and have been running without issues for the past 3 weeks. It is still just running along the baseboards and will have to tuck it under/behind them at some point. While I'm not saying that monster is the only solution it was one that worked for me at that distance.

Mark
post #71 of 75 Old 11-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Starnes View Post

I feel that inexpensive hdmi cables are fine for short runs but I just finished my basement and have 2 identical movie/gaming areas. Each has a pannasonic 65" vt30, denon 2312, Xbox, pan 210 bluray player etc...

1 system uses 3' hdmi cables (I'm talking $5-$10 each) to the receiver and a 6' to the plasma with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Including 3d!

My problem came with the second system which required a 50' hdmi run in the wall from the tv to a closet with all the components. So...I thought I'd play it safe and a bought and ran 2 different 50' hdmi cables with a cost of around $50 each. Each one exhibited freezing/dropout issues. I don't recall which brands they were but both were rated 10.2gps, Ethernet, in-wall, and whatever else the latest specs are. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off since it is not practical to run another cable in the wall.

Since I already had 2 strikes I coughed up $350 for a Monster hd1000 or some bs model number like that and have been running without issues for the past 3 weeks. It is still just running along the baseboards and will have to tuck it under/behind them at some point. While I'm not saying that monster is the only solution it was one that worked for me at that distance.

Mark

$350 for a HDMI cable..... holy cow.... even if it was 3 miles long...thats TOO MUCH
post #72 of 75 Old 11-12-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
post #73 of 75 Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

In order to do a fair comparison you MUST use these coat hangers.
post #74 of 75 Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
I purchased two blurigger hdmi cables from amazon since i got them in two days and needed them fast. It was $23 for two 25 FEET cables and they pass 3d just fine from my avr, oppo, to my projector. Every other hdmi cable(about 7 total) is mono price and also work well. I would have bought two mono price ones but I needed them in a hurry..
post #75 of 75 Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Starnes View Post

Mark

What brand/model were your original cables? Were they certified?

Why not try something like this? http://www.amazon.com/CITI-Gold-Cert.../dp/B004M5SSSU
Quote:

Category 2 - High-Speed 10.2 gbps / 340 MHz
Supports 3D Technology, 4K, Audio Return Channel, 1440p and 1080p FullHD

You can always return it if it doesn't work, and you save over $300 if it does.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page