monster hdmi 950 or 1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I just got a vt25 54" my question is i purchased monster hdmi cables , the 950 , they say 120/240hz but the plasma is 600hz? so am i missing something? is there a difference between these and the 1000? Just wondering if anyone else has these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 11
Don't buy Monster cables - they have got to be the biggest rip off in electronics. Cables are cables. Go buy a $40 High shpeed HDMI cable and it will work flawlessly with your tv. The specifications they put on their packaging mean absolutely nothing.
post #3 of 75 Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

i got a good deal on the monsters, and yes monsters are better when the cables are longer , im just wondering if 950 or 1000 would make a difference.
post #4 of 75 Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Unless you plugged the cable into a device,
And that device would then take a picture of what your sending through the cable,
Then you take two pictures, one with the Monster and one with a generic,
then compare those pictures to see the minutest of difference.
How could you be sure?

If such a device exists to capture video frames from a hdmi doesn't exist then you can't do it. I know of no such device.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #5 of 75 Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Its actually about seamless transfer of info, the faster the transfer the better the image. Its proven, if you use your 10$ hdmi cable signal from source to output will be flawed as opposed to using good quality cables like these monsters. If your gonna spend 5 -10k on a system you dont cheap out on cables cause it makes the difference
post #6 of 75 Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw those Monster tests where they measure the quality.
But they sent more data through those wires than is normally sent via movie.

Now I'm not saying the cables are not worth it as they may have a point that it shows a better picture.
But Unless you can buy a hdmi capture, sent video from a test clip into the hdmi video capture and compare two pictures using different hdmi cables, then you cannot claim oneis better than the other, you have to take somebodies word for it.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #7 of 75 Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliendude View Post

Its actually about seamless transfer of info, the faster the transfer the better the image. Its proven, if you use your 10$ hdmi cable signal from source to output will be flawed as opposed to using good quality cables like these monsters. If your gonna spend 5 -10k on a system you dont cheap out on cables cause it makes the difference

This post is widely incorrect in every facet and shows no understanding of digital signalling at all.

Buy a HDMI cable from monoprice for $10 or whatever and be done with it.
post #8 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianthax View Post

This post is widely incorrect in every facet and shows no understanding of digital signalling at all.

Buy a HDMI cable from monoprice for $10 or whatever and be done with it.

Xian, If you have no fact based knowledge backed comments to make, maybe you can buy your budget cables at walmart and let the big boys, who actually know a bit about home theatre engage in discussions with facts. Its a fact that higher priced, better made cable will send out the flow of information better than your walmart 4.99$ cables. Im so tired of these people who work for Monoproce coming on these boards with there propaganda lol
post #9 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Xian, If you have no fact based knowledge backed comments to make, maybe you can buy your budget cables at walmart and let the big boys, who actually know a bit about home theatre engage in discussions with facts. Its a fact that higher priced, better made cable will send out the flow of information better than your walmart 4.99$ cables. Im so tired of these people who work for Monoproce coming on these boards with there propaganda lol

Where are your facts? Why are you asking the difference between the two cables here? Don't you already know it all, big boy?
post #10 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Welcome to 2004. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
post #11 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

'Improved flow of information', riiiiight....

HDMI sends video data on 3 differential pairs + a clock (along with a couple control buses). The amount of data to be sent is determined at the time of initial communication. There is an I2C bus in the cable to allow the display to tell the source what video mode it wants. If the display says it wants 1080p @ 60hz, thats what it gets. The quality of the cable has zero impact on the amount of data the source sends. If you have a bad or broken cable the data may not all 'make it' to the display. What generally occurs is heavy sparkling (bit errors) or drop outs when there is a transmission problem.

As long as a cable is rated for the speed your using it at, there is no difference, at all, moving to a more expensive cable, none, zero. The link doesn't magically send more information with a cable that beats minimum specs, that doesn't even make sense given the nature of the data that is being sent. So please, you have no back up at all for your claim. If you simply choose not to believe me, thats fine, just read the specification.
post #12 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Hi
I just got a vt25 54" my question is i purchased monster hdmi cables , the 950 , they say 120/240hz but the plasma is 600hz? so am i missing something? is there a difference between these and the 1000? Just wondering if anyone else has these?

This shows you how misleading Monster is - the data going over the HDMI cable is either at 1080p 24fps, 30fps or 60fps. The 240fps or 600fps is the refresh rate of the picture which has nothing to do with the information carried over the HDMI cable.
post #13 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM

The OP bought his cables, and seems to be happy with the price he paid. He has both a financial and emotional investment in the purchase. His own "facts" are based on something other than reality. He will never get the answer to his original question in his first post, since it is without any basis in the "actuality" of video signal carriage. The hole he digs just gets deeper.

So, OP, enjoy your vt25 54". If you need confirmation on your cable purchase this is not the forum or www site for you.
post #14 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaik View Post

The OP bought his cables, and seems to be happy with the price he paid. He has both a financial and emotional investment in the purchase. His own "facts" are based on something other than reality. He will never get the answer to his original question in his first post, since it is without any basis in the "actuality" of video signal carriage. The hole he digs just gets deeper.

So, OP, enjoy your vt25 54". If you need confirmation on your cable purchase this is not the forum or www site for you.

Now now kid relax, just because I can afford better quality cables doesn't mean you need to get bitter. Everyone knows if you have a 20 ft cable there is loss of image... If none of you know this than you all need to educate yourselves. I wasnt trying to start a fight kids so chill out and try to remain civil.. If you guys want to believe that 10$ manufactured cables will outperform higher quality cables endorsed by the film industry then you are all simply trying to convince yourselves because you can't justify the cost
post #15 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM

These types of threads make my day.
post #16 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Now now kid relax, just because I can afford better quality cables doesn't mean you need to get bitter. Everyone knows if you have a 20 ft cable there is loss of image... If none of you know this than you all need to educate yourselves. I wasnt trying to start a fight kids so chill out and try to remain civil.. If you guys want to believe that 10$ manufactured cables will outperform higher quality cables endorsed by the film industry then you are all simply trying to convince yourselves because you can't justify the cost

For a given gauge of cable that adheres to the HDMI specifications the digital signal passing through should be the same. With Monster you are paying for fancier packaging, heavier rubber surrounding the cables - to make it look more substantial, a fancy emblem on the connector, and last but not least a substantial profit for Monster. Are you getting a poor quality cable - absolutely not, could you have gotten the same quality cable for a lot less - absolutely!
post #17 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Everyone knows if you have a 20 ft cable there is loss of image...

But mostly loss of money.
post #18 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Now now kid relax, just because I can afford better quality cables doesn't mean you need to get bitter. ...

Keep digging that hole, my friend. We're all calm here. BTW, I work in the moving images industry and we don't endorse cables unless bribed big time.
post #19 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well i dont work for monster and i work in film. I was simply asking a question and was attacked for no reason and ridiculed. I just wanted to know the difference. I also know that if the cables are long 5$ cables wont cut it. No insult was meant and im sorry you guys took it as an attack on your cables... I dont believe in using the most expensive cables but i do think quality is important and i returned the rocket fish i had for these and yes big difference.
post #20 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa1954 View Post

But mostly loss of money.

and yes i agree they are way more expensive but im pretty obsessive with the picture quality i want. hence why i went more expensive
post #21 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a 7 meter Dayton cable that was about $10, no loss of signal (that's 23 ft. in case you can't figure it out).

The funny thing is, that you actually believe it cost more than $5 to manufacture that Monster cable.
post #22 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and yes i agree they are way more expensive but im pretty obsessive with the picture quality i want. hence why i went more expensive

Too bad that more expensive doesn't give you better picture quality though.
post #23 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please describe for me, technically, the quality difference that occurs between:

1) Cable A: meets HDMI specifications for the speed used.

2) Cable B: Exceeds all specifications and comes in a fancy jacket.

Keep in mind I'm an electrical engineer who has designed several devices that use very similar signalling techniques as HDMI, so "we all know this" is not going to cut it.
post #24 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 PM

jdude, no one was attacking you or ridiculing you. It's not "our cables vs. your cables".

Most of the people who post on avs in these types of threads genuinely want to advise people, especially when it comes to somone spending his/her hard-earned money. It's tough to hear when someone tells you the facts: a well-built cable from Monoprice will measure according to spec, and it may be 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/10th. the price of a cable from Monster or a dozen other companies.

At the end of the day, it's your money to spend.
post #25 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
juliendude,

The answer to your original question is really easy. If you are not seeing sparkles or worse, your are not going to have an improvement in image quality by upgrading your cable. If you are happy with your Monster cable, more power to you. My choice for long runs is Blue Jeans Cable Series 1. For shorter runs, any certified high speed cable should do. Unfortunately, this does not always seem to be the case. Quality control seems to vary.
post #26 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM

this thread is mon$ter lulz! good read here.
post #27 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Hi

Get two HDMI couplers by Monster http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Advanc.../dp/B0015AB3KU and splice three 950 cables together.

240Hz x 3 = 720Hz, so you'll be good to go!

Oh, and there's two prices on Amazon for the coupler. Don't buy the ones that are $20, get the ones that are $35, because more money equates to better quality.

"Lord, forgive me. I apologize for that." -Larry the Cable Guy

"I'm NOT sorry!" -Hamburger Man

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #28 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 05:50 PM

moar caybols!
post #29 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Just get a 'Hz' sticker in a fancy font and stick it on the side of your receiver, mor 'Hz' r betur u no.

Hey it works for cars right? NOS sticker = 5hp?
post #30 of 75 Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

well then it seems i have my answer, i have some very knowledgeable people that have instructed me to purchase monster over bargain, and these people work in film... so ill take your words for it. I wont find 10$ cables but ill return the $140 cable and get a $40 one... I also need a long cable and this is what got me here, I was informed that ESPECIALLY if its long, as the short cables wont matter, that i would need a better set of hdmi.
thanks for help... jeeez lol
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page