RealD CrystalEyes 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 129 Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone actually used these glasses? I order some a couple of weeks ago but have heard nothing from the company. I've tried contacting them to get an order update but there's no one there that ever helps me. It's getting real frustrating and was wondering if anyone else has experience with this company or product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post

Has anyone actually used these glasses? I order some a couple of weeks ago but have heard nothing from the company. I've tried contacting them to get an order update but there's no one there that ever helps me. It's getting real frustrating and was wondering if anyone else has experience with this company or product.

I have checked the realD website every several days over the last month and have noticed that the popup message always says on backorder for the next 3 weeks. I also tried to contact their customer service for professional products and got no response. Sketchy.

Would be nice if a trusted retailer would begin carrying these in the immediate future.
post #3 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:

They do not make LC shutters any more and the product you've bought is 20 years old.
They used to be called Stereosgraphics Inc.
If you want real info, contact Michael Starks at:

http://www.3dmagic.com/personal.html

He is the founder of Stereographics.

Mathew Orman
post #4 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

They do not make LC shutters any more and the product you've bought is 20 years old.
They used to be called Stereosgraphics Inc.
If you want real info, contact Michael Starks at:

http://www.3dmagic.com/personal.html

He is the founder of Stereographics.

Mathew Orman

The company may be 20 years old. The CE5 is not what Magic Johnson had on his face.
post #5 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

This is the product I bought.
http://www.reald.com/Content/proProd...spx?pageID=128

I'm a little confused here. Looking at the specs these seem to be the best DLP link glasses out there. Did I make a poor choice?
post #6 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:

This is the product I bought.
http://www.reald.com/Content/proProd...spx?pageID=128

I'm a little confused here. Looking at the specs these seem to be the best DLP link glasses out there. Did I make a poor choice?

Yes,

some people got those in May 2010.
I hope you can still get yours since RealD is in financial trouble making fake announcements just to keep investors
happy.

Mathew Orman
post #7 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Ahh do you mean the glasses or not good or just that I'll probably never get them? Would the Optoma 101 be better glasses for my Mitsubishi 73837? Thank you for the info though, I didn't know RealD was in financial trouble.
post #8 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Ahh do you mean the glasses or not good or just that I'll probably never get them? Would the Optoma 101 be better glasses for my Mitsubishi 73837? Thank you for the info though, I didn't know RealD was in financial trouble.

They are just out of stock on the glasses due to demand. RLD is the company's ticker symbol. They have just inked a deal with Vizio to provide the 3D protocol for their new tvs and are the #1 name in 3D theaters. I wouldn't worry, its just a busy season and more people are getting 3d sets.

The other pairs available are not that great and a last resort in my opinion. My folks have 2 pairs of Xpand x102 coming with a 73738 they bought and I plan on selling them to get the CE5 glasses and giving them my Samsungs. I am eager to hear how they perform.
post #9 of 129 Old 11-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:

The glasses are functional but nothing extraordinary
like they used to have.

Your best bet would be Nvidia's 3D Vision Kit.

Mathew Orman
post #10 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

My CE4 just shipped today.
post #11 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

My CE5 shipped today also and scheduled for delivery on the 29th. Will let you guys know what I think when I receive them.
post #12 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:

My CE5 shipped today also and scheduled for delivery on the 29th. Will let you guys know what I think when I receive them.

Great! Can't wait to hear an opinion. What model tv are they going to be used with? Mine is a Mitsubishi 65736. I'm interested in hearing if it makes the polarization rainbows in the corners and how well it blocks the dlp flash.
post #13 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

What tv are you using? If it's a dlp can you tell me if the ce4 can block the flash. Thanks.
post #14 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Will the CE4 work with the Mits emitter? Will you be able to check that?
post #15 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoodily View Post

Great! Can't wait to hear an opinion. What model tv are they going to be used with? Mine is a Mitsubishi 65736. I'm interested in hearing if it makes the polarization rainbows in the corners and how well it blocks the dlp flash.

+1. Stoked to hear they finally shipped!
post #16 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 06:16 PM

realD website still says 3 week backorder when you try to add them to the cart.
post #17 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoodily View Post

They'll be used with a Mitsubishi 73837. This will be my first foray into 3D so I don't have anything to compare them to, but I will watch for polarization rainbows. I mainly got them for Gran Turismo 5 which I'm playing today and it's amazing. Can't wait to try it in 3D.

Though the website says 3 week backorder, it took 16 days for mine to ship (ordered on the 8th). I don't think they update much.
post #18 of 129 Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

They'll be used with a Mitsubishi 73837. This will be my first foray into 3D so I don't have anything to compare them to, but I will watch for polarization rainbows.

Please also let us know whether they sync in the proper way with the TV set to standard or reverse.
post #19 of 129 Old 11-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I ordered the CE4 to try and use it with the NVIDIA 3D Vision emitter. I read a post from a long time ago saying that the CE3 worked with it so I figured the CE4 should also.

I can go to Best Buy and check if the glasses work with the Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony 3DTVs. If it works with Samsung it will work with Mits emitter.

They won't work with DLP Link and I don't have a DLP setup to test with an emitter.
post #20 of 129 Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 PM

When 3dc-1000 is connected to sony bdp-570 and then plugged into mitsubishi 73638 television i receive an invalid format message and the the tv may display odd, color patterns. Just wanted to know if any has similar configuration and if you are having the same issues.
post #21 of 129 Old 11-26-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

I can go to Best Buy and check if the glasses work with the Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony 3DTVs. If it works with Samsung it will work with Mits emitter.

That would be great. Thanks!
post #22 of 129 Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

They didn't work with the 3D Vision emitter

I'll bring them to Best Buy next time I go there and will report back my findings.

The user guide says the following:

"CrystalEyes 4 are designed to work with an emitter and with 3D enabled DLP and Plasma televisions, DLP Link front projectors, and 3D enabled CRT monitors."

Based on the wording I'm not sure if that means they support DLP Link and IR or if they mean you need an IR emitter for use with DLP Link projectors. Kinda confusing.
post #23 of 129 Old 11-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

I'll bring them to Best Buy next time I go there and will report back my findings.

"CrystalEyes 4 are designed to work with an emitter and with 3D enabled DLP and Plasma televisions, DLP Link front projectors, and 3D enabled CRT monitors."

Based on the wording I'm not sure if that means they support DLP Link and IR or if they mean you need an IR emitter for use with DLP Link projectors. Kinda confusing.
CrystalEyes 4

Quote:
Works with all RealD Pro StereoGraphics IR Emitters
http://www.vrlogic.com/html/crystal_eyes_ce_4.html

CrystalEyes 4

Quote:
Display Compatibility (require RealD IR emitter)
http://www.reald.com/Content/Crystal-Eyes-4.aspx

Emitter, Adapter & Cable

http://www.vrlogic.com/html/stereogr...ble_infor.html
post #24 of 129 Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:

Considering they left out LCD from the list, makes me suspect that the polarization angle may be such that LCDs are severely dimmed, which is the same polarization angle that results in polarization rainbows on many DLP TVs.

Do you see the polarization rainbows when looking at your TV? (for this test it shouldn't matter that they are not synced up) You would see vertical color bands near the sides when watching lightly colored scenes such as all white or the sky.

I would assume that CE4 and CE5 have the same polarization angle since everything else about the LCD lenses is the same. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no rainbows for either.
post #25 of 129 Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Were you able to find a return policy for realD? I was also curious about that. Didn't see any sort of information like that on their site.

Also, was the shipping charge fair?
post #26 of 129 Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 AM

I ordered a pair of CE5 on October 11th and Still have not received them. I sent an email on Nov 4th and got a reply saying should ship out next week (Nov 8 - 12th). Still nothing. I sent another email Nov 23rd, no reply. Hopefully I get them soon.
post #27 of 129 Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Hey Bytor, what date did you order yours? Did it take over 6 weeks to get yours?
post #28 of 129 Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered them Nov. 8th. I called them a lot instead of emailing so maybe they got sick of me bugging them. I'd try calling.
post #29 of 129 Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I received them today so thought I'd give some quick first impressions. I didn't know what to expect since I've only seen 3D in a theater but I'm pretty impressed. I briefly threw in A Christmal Carol 3D and it looked great. Didn't notice any rainbows but I'll watch the whole movie later tonight and look for them.

I mainly spent time with Gran Turismo 5 and I'm loving it. At first I had some issues where the glasses would flash on and off (is that the dlp flash someone mentioned?) but I found out that it was because of my distance to the screen. I was about 8 1/2 feet away but when I moved to about 7 1/2 feet I didn't have that problem anymore. Does that have to do with brightness of the screen? Maybe setting my DLP bulb to bright would help, but I like being closer to the screen now with 3D anyway.
post #30 of 129 Old 11-29-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I received them today so thought I'd give some quick first impressions. I didn't know what to expect since I've only seen 3D in a theater but I'm pretty impressed. I briefly threw in A Christmal Carol 3D and it looked great. Didn't notice any rainbows but I'll watch the whole movie later tonight and look for them.

I mainly spent time with Gran Turismo 5 and I'm loving it. At first I had some issues where the glasses would flash on and off (is that the dlp flash someone mentioned?) but I found out that it was because of my distance to the screen. I was about 8 1/2 feet away but when I moved to about 7 1/2 feet I didn't have that problem anymore. Does that have to do with brightness of the screen? Maybe setting my DLP bulb to bright would help, but I like being closer to the screen now with 3D anyway.

You are probably losing sync for a brief moment, rather than seeing the DLP Link flash. Your bulb may be affecting your range for sync. The DLP Link flash consistently makes the blacks look off (either teal, gray, or red, depending upon your TV). To check, pause on a scene with a lot of black on the screen, look at it without glasses on but with TV in 3D mode with DLP Link on, then look at it again with glasses on and synced. The improvement in the blacks with the glasses on should be dramatic.

When checking for rainbows, they show up most on very light scenes like white or the sky. Also, if you would, tilt your head 45 degrees with the glasses on during a light scene and see if you notice the rainbows appear. If they appear when you tilt 45 degrees, then they should disappear with your head not tilted. If the rainbow doesn't appear in either case, then you may be a lucky one whose TV is not afflicted. This is a bit selfish of me, but I hope you see the rainbows when you tilt your head, because that means these are the first DLP Link glasses to avoid rainbows with a level head.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page