3D Projector with DLP-Link... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered a used ViewSonic PJD6251 3D-Ready Projector.
It has TI 3D DLP-Link.
I downloaded the Manual, but no info regarding hooking it up for 3D!
I've Googled until my fingers hurt lol!
Can I hook up my DVD player to play all my 3D DVDs at 60 refresh?
Which input do I use?

My current 3D setup for the past few years has been a BenQ MP721 projector with a Panasonic S1 DVD player. I just use a cable that is 15 pin VGA at the projector end, and Component (red/green/blue) at the DVD player end.
Of course, this plays at only 60 refresh. A few years ago I tried hooking up the projector to my PC with the "Edimensional 3D Dongle" using Nvidia's 91.31 3D Stereo drivers and Stereoscopic Player for higher refresh rates, but the image looks so much sharper when just using my Panny S1 DVD player.

Does DLP-Link require hookup to my PC?
Will the DLP-Link work with my Panny S1 DVD Player?
Can I still use the 9 pair of generic shutter glasses I already own?
Do I still need Stereoscopic Player to use the DLP-Link?
If the projector must be hooked up to my PC, is there a "best" or "preferred" player other than Stereoscopic Player?

This is all new to me & I'm at a loss here . If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Guy View Post

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered a used ViewSonic PJD6251 3D-Ready Projector.
It has TI 3D DLP-Link.
I downloaded the Manual, but no info regarding hooking it up for 3D!
I've Googled until my fingers hurt lol!
Can I hook up my DVD player to play all my 3D DVDs at 60 refresh?
Which input do I use?

My current 3D setup for the past few years has been a BenQ MP721 projector with a Panasonic S1 DVD player. I just use a cable that is 15 pin VGA at the projector end, and Component (red/green/blue) at the DVD player end.
Of course, this plays at only 60 refresh. A few years ago I tried hooking up the projector to my PC with the "Edimensional 3D Dongle" using Nvidia's 91.31 3D Stereo drivers and Stereoscopic Player for higher refresh rates, but the image looks so much sharper when just using my Panny S1 DVD player.

Does DLP-Link require hookup to my PC?
Will the DLP-Link work with my Panny S1 DVD Player?
Can I still use the 9 pair of generic shutter glasses I already own?
Do I still need Stereoscopic Player to use the DLP-Link?
If the projector must be hooked up to my PC, is there a "best" or "preferred" player other than Stereoscopic Player?

This is all new to me & I'm at a loss here . If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

You need nVidia's 3D Vision Kit and Stereoscopic Player.
And if you want to use DLP-Link Glasses then you also must use nVidia's 3D Vision Kit.
To connect your viewsonic directly to 3D BluRay Player you will need OPTOMA's 3D-XL box.

Mathew Orman
Old 11-26-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Do I also need Stereoscopic Player if I want to use DLP-Link?
Are there other (better) software alternatives to Stereoscopic Player?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Do I also need Stereoscopic Player if I want to use DLP-Link?
Are there other (better) software alternatives to Stereoscopic Player?

You've said that you want to play your old frame sequential DVDs and the only player that supports it, is the Stereoscopic Player.

Mathew Orman
Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3D guy,
What kind of 3D DVDs do you have? If they are the old style analglyph DVDs that use
Red N Blue glases they will play as 2D DVDs just like they have with your old projector. If this is the case then you will not be using DLP-Link at all and nor will you need Nvidia 3D player which is designed for 3D games and which requires that you at least connect it's emitter and then you can use either it's glases or DLP-Link glases.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
From his description in the 1st post it seems he has 3D field sequential DVDs (HQFS DVDs).

Some DLP-link projectors support SD interlaced 3D video through the composite or S-video inputs, for example I read the Acer H5360 did support it, you can give it a try with yours it might work if you plug your DVD player directly.

Nvidia 3D vision is not the only PC system that can run this projector.
It is also supported by ATi though the HD3D program and DLP-link glasses, you'll need an ATi Radeon HD5000 series or HD6000 series and a video player that supports the HD3D feature. So far only the latest version of stereoscopic player is available, other BluRay3D video players also support it but i'm not sure if these software support HQFS DVDs, I think they only support BluRay3D.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, these DVDs are the "old-fashioned" field-sequential 3D ones like "Creature from the Black Lagoon" and I also have the IMAX titles like "Haunted Castle" and such.
Unfortunately, I just read that you must have Windows Vista or Windows 7 in order to install Nvidia's 3D Vision kit. I only have WindowsXP .
So I guess my only choices are:

1) Direct hookup to my DVD player (if it's one of the few that will work this way) at 60hz.
2) Re-install those old Nvidia 91.31 stereo drivers for my card and use Stereoscopic Player thru my PC at 120hz.

I'm kinda hoping I can just use my DVD player with my current shutterglasses & sync box. The picture is much sharper than when using Stereoscopic Player.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you connect your DVD player directly to the projector, if these projectors support the interlaced SD format, you should use DLP-link glasses.
The oldschool shutter glasses with the sync box may work but i'm not sure.
DLP projectors work quite differently from CRT TVs.
It may still work, but I'd bet it doesn't.

If you use Stereoscopic player without having to reinstall the old drivers, you can try to use the software pageflipping mode with the desktop set at 120Hz. You will need to fullscreen the video to engage Stereoscopic player's software pageflipping mode.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

JUST AN UPDATE

The following works with this PJ:

1) DVD player w/shutterglasses & sync box, connected directly to the PJ using a VGA to COMPONENT cable (only 60Hz, but sharpest image)

2) PC w/ Nvidia 91.31 STEREO drivers, Stereoscopic Player, shutterglasses and eDimensional dongle (120Hz, but less sharp)

I've decided to stick with the PC at 120Hz hookup. I've gone into Nvidia's Control Panel and set the sharpness 1 notch below MAX and it helps, but still not quite as sharp as the "direct to DVD player" hookup. But there's no noticeable flicker at 120Hz for me.
I do notice as soon as I change the monitor setting for the PJ to 120Hz the image looks quite dimmer and washed-out and I have to tweak the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc to try and compensate. I've pre-ordered 2 pair of the ViewSonic 3D DLP-Link glasses online - currently out of stock. I've read that they will help with this. I think it's caused by the white flash signal the PJ emits when in "120Hz 3D" mode in order for DLP-Link to work.
Keeping fingers crossed!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:

JUST AN UPDATE

The following works with this PJ:

1) DVD player w/shutterglasses & sync box, connected directly to the PJ using a VGA to COMPONENT cable (only 60Hz, but sharpest image)

2) PC w/ Nvidia 91.31 STEREO drivers, Stereoscopic Player, shutterglasses and eDimensional dongle (120Hz, but less sharp)

I've decided to stick with the PC at 120Hz hookup. I've gone into Nvidia's Control Panel and set the sharpness 1 notch below MAX and it helps, but still not quite as sharp as the "direct to DVD player" hookup. But there's no noticeable flicker at 120Hz for me.
I do notice as soon as I change the monitor setting for the PJ to 120Hz the image looks quite dimmer and washed-out and I have to tweak the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc to try and compensate. I've pre-ordered 2 pair of the ViewSonic 3D DLP-Link glasses online - currently out of stock. I've read that they will help with this. I think it's caused by the white flash signal the PJ emits when in "120Hz 3D" mode in order for DLP-Link to work.
Keeping fingers crossed!

DLP-Link syncs via blu-line code and as far as I know
XP's nVidia stereo does not support it.
May be Stereoscopic Player generates blu-line code.
You should ask the author at:

http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx

Mathew Orman
Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

The Stereoscopic Player does indeed support blue-line code with software page-flipping output. So I guess 3D video would be possible with DLP-Link glasses (although not 3D Blu-Ray unless you convert it). However the Nvidia 3D Vision driver does not support this and, furthermore, only supports the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. So I don't think games will work.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 AM

New info from labs and OPTOMA.

DLP-Link does not work on all 3D ready DLP projectors.

The only way to use it in 3D mode is with nVidia 3D Vision Kit.

The DLP-Link LC shutter glasses are useless as the system will exhibit random 50% chance of correct eye phase.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereality View Post
The Stereoscopic Player does indeed support blue-line code with software page-flipping output. So I guess 3D video would be possible with DLP-Link glasses (although not 3D Blu-Ray unless you convert it). However the Nvidia 3D Vision driver does not support this and, furthermore, only supports the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. So I don't think games will work.
Yes, but I have recently found out that DLP-Link is not using any eye phase sync signals. Confirmed by OPTOMA and some established hardware review labs.
So the only way for DLP 3D ready projector is nVidia's 3D Vision Kit using IR LC shutter glasses as you have pointed out.
That way the Games work as well as the eye phase sync i generated by nVida graphics card outputted via 3D Vision Kit.

Thank you.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I still don't understand your statement. You mean it's not compatible with a PC? I believe that is true, the device was made to go use a PC.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I still don't understand your statement. You mean it's not compatible with a PC? I believe that is true, the device was made to go use a PC.

In 120 Hz frame sequential mode the DLP-Link Glasses need to be in sync with both frame and frame content.
But at the moment the frame content is in sync only by chance with is 50% score.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

But it works well for many of us now... Can you post links to the tes labs finding as well?

I am getting better sync with the dlp-link than with the 3D Vision glasses.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:

But it works well for many of us now... Can you post links to the tes labs finding as well?

I am getting better sync with the dlp-link than with the 3D Vision glasses.

There is no better or worse eye phase sync.
It is either normal or reversed.

OPTOMA has 800 tall free.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you ever used such a system? My 3D Vision glasses lose sync from time to time, when you leave the room with either pair they loose sync, walk back in and they sync up again.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Have you ever used such a system? My 3D Vision glasses lose sync from time to time, when you leave the room with either pair they loose sync, walk back in and they sync up again.

There is a difference of definition of frame sync and eye phase sync.

Frame sync means that LC shutter switching is synchronized with frame display.

Eye phase sync means that left eye content is display when left eye shutter is open and vice verse.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And I am telling you the DLP-Link has better sync than the 3D Vision glasses.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:

And I am telling you the DLP-Link has better sync than the 3D Vision glasses.

We are not talking about loosing sync signal due to the range limit.

nVidia 3D Vision glasses will never loose the eye phase sync and you will not need to correct it manually when you start or pause a movie or if there is a glitch in playback.

DLP-Link glasses will loose the eye phase continuously with 50% chance when you start, pause or get a glitch on a movie.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am telling you the DLP link glasses have better sync than the 3D vision glasses. As in they work better. So you have confirmed this with your own setup? I am confirming it's not an issue on my system so far. I should be seeing thing go on that are supposed to go out and visa-versa no?

Tell me the symptom that is visably seen to indicate this issue you speak of is happening please? I pause a fair amount, I restart movies a fair amount. I have a half dozen 3D BD's at this point. I have screened many of these with a packed theater.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:

I am telling you the DLP link glasses have better sync than the 3D vision glasses. As in they work better. So you have confirmed this with your own setup? I am confirming it's not an issue on my system so far. I should be seeing thing go on that are supposed to go out and visa-versa no?

Tell me the symptom that is visably seen to indicate this issue you speak of is happening please? I pause a fair amount, I restart movies a fair amount. I have a half dozen 3D BD's at this point. I have screened many of these with a packed theater.

Do you know what pseudo stereo is?

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

can't you just give a straight answer? What is seen when it's displaying the issue?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:

can't you just give a straight answer? What is seen when it's displaying the issue?

I suspect that you are not able to distinguish between normal stereo and pseudo stereo. And that is why
you do not see the issue.

As I have pointed earlier there are many people that have not yet mastered the skill of distinguishing between normal stereo and pseudo stereo and that is why I have ask you to do the test.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I asked a simple question.. What do I see wrong when I am having the issue.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I asked a simple question.. What do I see wrong when I am having the issue.

OK
Example: There is a man in foreground holding a play ball in font of him.

In false or pseudo stereo the ball will be at his back penetrating his body and his body and ball will have reversed depth.
The ball will look like if it was cut in half and you would see what is inside.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I can verify nothing like that ever with 3DBD so far using an HTPC with 3D Visiion loaded on it. Only one time had my projector got on the reverse setting and things that were suppose to come out were going in and visa-versa. I corrected the setting and all was normal again though multiple plays of my 6 or so 3DBD's.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Peter Wimmer the creator of the famous Stereoscopic Player
which nVidia has licensed from him has just posted a confirmation that DLP-Link has no eye phase sync and there is a 50% chance of being correct.

See the latest post on 3dtv at yahoo groups.

Mathew Orman
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Here is the text in case you cannot access 3dtv:

----------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Here is what I know about DLP-Link:

* There is no L/R signal on the VGA/DVI cable.
* There is a L/R signal between the projector and the glasses.

This means, if a projector would support blue line code or a similar technology,
it could provide the glasses with correct L/R information, assuming the
application sends such codes. To my knowledge, there are no such projectors yet,
so you have 50% change that L/R is reversed. In the Stereoscopic Player you can
fix this by pressing the F7 key (swaps L/R).

Btw, if you cannot find the Blue Line Code option in the Stereoscopic Player:
The player doesn't support it anymore because of patent issues.

Peter

---------------------------------------------------

Mathew Orman