ZD101 and ZD201 glasses difference? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 74 Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I got the ZD101's last night .. wow .. frikkin HUGE .. lol .. i saw a few minutes of 3D with it .. excellent quality .. no difference from the ZD201 in terms of 3D and experience.. but yes the lenses are bigger and so is the frame .. which means.. theres a slight reflection .. which goes away if i close any lights .. and the frames fit well on my face/ears .. i dont have a big head ..

Now this is only 10-15 mins of viewing .. so maybe 2 hours of viewing will be a bit to manage with the heavy frame on your nose .. and the frame ends resting against ur head ..

I did notice the power button when pressed again, cycles through some lens shifts .. 1 is not 3D, 1 is 3D flipped, and another click makes it another 3D with less depth .. now the funny thing is .. the 1st click that gets you into 3D is the true 3D, anything else after that is less 3D .. and if the 1st click doesn't get the left/right lens sync right .. you'll have to use the projector menu .. so that's not much help! .. so i think they just got rid off that in ZD201 altogether ..

Anyways, my ZD201 is on its way .. like i said i'll be using the ZD201's for ourselves, and these for guests ... also the True Depth glasses increased in price.. so with intnl delivery .. they're costing me $175 .. and ZD201 is about $102 delivered .. so if i need to switch up .. i'll just get ZD201's ..

Just on a final note, what the heck was Optoma thinking when they designed ZD101s? LOL! .. they are the most funny looking glasses i've ever seen... would love to take a picture of us wearing those ... priceless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bluemetal77 - When are your ZD201s supposed to arrive?
post #33 of 74 Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

bluemetal77 - When are your ZD201s supposed to arrive?

I think in about another week or so .. but i already do have 1 pair of ZD201 with me .. i just ordered another one ..

Have you decided what you'll get?
post #34 of 74 Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't read a review from you regarding the ZD201s (how they compare to others). How do you like them? I have one pair to evaluate on order.
post #35 of 74 Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:

I haven't read a review from you regarding the ZD201s (how they compare to others). How do you like them? I have one pair to evaluate on order.

ZD201's are awesome .. they are everything a 3D active shutter DLP glasses should be .. the only missing part would be the invert switch for sync which you need to adjust in your projector rather than the glasses .. but you'd need to do that anyways if you have a mix of glasses ..

The only reason i had gotten a couple of ZD101's was because they'll mostly be used for guests, and i was getting them cheap $100 for 2 of them, some dude was selling his brand new pairs cheap as he didn't get to setup his 3D theatre at home .. if i was to buy for any other reason, i'd get the ZD201's ..

For the glasses itself, they are greyish tint .. light weight .. foldable arms.. run on 1 battery .. and have excellent DLP sync .. the images from these glasses are deep with high contrast .. whites appear white and blacks appear black .. no weird green/grey tint that other low-unbranded glasses show ..

BTW, last night i watched Tangled 3D with the 2 ZD101's i have .. it was awesome .. i didn't feel they were uncomfortable or heavy .. but yeah they are ridiculously big!
post #36 of 74 Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemetal77 View Post

ZD201's are awesome .. they are everything a 3D active shutter DLP glasses should be .. the only missing part would be the invert switch for sync which you need to adjust in your projector rather than the glasses .. but you'd need to do that anyways if you have a mix of glasses ..

The only reason i had gotten a couple of ZD101's was because they'll mostly be used for guests, and i was getting them cheap $100 for 2 of them, some dude was selling his brand new pairs cheap as he didn't get to setup his 3D theatre at home .. if i was to buy for any other reason, i'd get the ZD201's ..

For the glasses itself, they are greyish tint .. light weight .. foldable arms.. run on 1 battery .. and have excellent DLP sync .. the images from these glasses are deep with high contrast .. whites appear white and blacks appear black .. no weird green/grey tint that other low-unbranded glasses show ..

BTW, last night i watched Tangled 3D with the 2 ZD101's i have .. it was awesome .. i didn't feel they were uncomfortable or heavy .. but yeah they are ridiculously big!

For $50 each that's a good deal for some extra pairs for Guests. Visually they work great, just as good as the ZD201's, and for as big as they are, they're not actually that heavy. I just got rid of them because they were too tight on my head (I do have a big head though) with no flexibility in the hinges to help relieve that, and they wouldn't even fit on my sister's head (small head), so I have to wonder how practical they are, and also I was afraid that the louvered hinges would break after a few months since I've read so many similar reports online. It didn't happen to me, but I only had them a few weeks, so I'm curious to see if that actually is a problem or not, let us know if that ever becomes an issue. I can't help but wonder if those reports were true or if they were planted by competing manufacturers.
post #37 of 74 Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACO View Post

For $50 each that's a good deal for some extra pairs for Guests. Visually they work great, just as good as the ZD201's, and for as big as they are, they're not actually that heavy. I just got rid of them because they were too tight on my head (I do have a big head though) with no flexibility in the hinges to help relieve that, and they wouldn't even fit on my sister's head (small head), so I have to wonder how practical they are, and also I was afraid that the louvered hinges would break after a few months since I've read so many similar reports online. It didn't happen to me, but I only had them a few weeks, so I'm curious to see if that actually is a problem or not, let us know if that ever becomes an issue. I can't help but wonder if those reports were true or if they were planted by competing manufacturers.

Yeah i know, i've mostly read good reviews on the 101's except for where they've broken or are pressing too much on the head for some people .. the optics part of things on the 101's are perfect .. i believe them to be the same as on ZD201 .. so just the design change between them i guess ..

Having said that, yes the lack of foldable arms means it will need to be kept "as-is" otherwise it'll break .. it does have a bit of flexibility on the arms .. so it will adjust .. but will press against the head .. add a bit of sponge maybe? .. and it does take up half a cabinet worth of space to store them .. i need to try out the different nose pieces to see which one is most fitting and comfortable .. but then that's just my nose

Have you noticed how they've increased the price on TruDepth 3D glasses? ... i think they're gearing up for Xmas where everyone buys gifts and have sales after! .. even the xPands have gone up!

Anyways, i could only recommend ZD201's unconditionally!
post #38 of 74 Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ZD201's are awesome .. they are everything a 3D active shutter DLP glasses should be

bluemetal77 - Do you see reflections on the inside of the lens of stuff that is behind you? Are they foldable? And, do they come with a pouch to store them in when not in use?

Thanks,

-ftlee
post #39 of 74 Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I was afraid that the louvered hinges would break after a few months since I've read so many similar reports online... I can't help but wonder if those reports were true or if they were planted by competing manufacturers.

Unfortunately the reports are true. Both of my ZD101s have arms broken off at the hinges. I'd love to get ZD201s but I haven't seen any for what I consider a reasonable price. TrueDepth rechargeable glasses I understand (from your many informative posts) are very good, but nobody's got them at a reasonable price either. I tried UltraClear glasses and after an initial favorable reaction got tired of the reflections and occasional sync problems.

I guess now I understand why passive 3D (inferior in my opinion) is starting to catch on.
post #40 of 74 Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:

bluemetal77 - Do you see reflections on the inside of the lens of stuff that is behind you? Are they foldable? And, do they come with a pouch to store them in when not in use?

Thanks,

-ftlee

In ZD201's, no reflections can be seen.. they are perfectly guarded with their design and wrap around arms .. yes the arms are foldable .. they don't come with a pouch .. i've stored them in their box which is about the size of a spectacle case .. a bit bigger ..

You still deciding on them?
post #41 of 74 Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

Unfortunately the reports are true. Both of my ZD101s have arms broken off at the hinges. I'd love to get ZD201s but I haven't seen any for what I consider a reasonable price. TrueDepth rechargeable glasses I understand (from your many informative posts) are very good, but nobody's got them at a reasonable price either. I tried UltraClear glasses and after an initial favorable reaction got tired of the reflections and occasional sync problems.

I guess now I understand why passive 3D (inferior in my opinion) is starting to catch on.

I had a feeling they were probably true. The hinges just looked cheap. Keep an eye out during the Holidays for some good deals, I got the ZD201's for $99 on ebay, which isn't horrible, but there might be some better deals soon.

Ya, I'm not gonna lie, the simplicity, cost and convenience of passive can't be ignored. It's a very alluring aspect. I'm convinced that active 3D is currently the better technology from witnessing both first hand, but these companies need to stop coming out with so many inferior products. It can't be that hard to make a decent pair of dlp-link glasses. The true depths are great, but they're the only all-around good pair of 3d glasses out of 5 that I've tried, that's a ridiculous ratio, and the ZD201's, as good as they are, have been cancelled in the US by Optoma, the whole thing is just very confusing and doesn't make sense.

I'm 100% happy and content with my current 3D set-up, but it took me weeks and hours and hours of research to finally find what right for me. I can't imagine that the average person would go through such an ordeal. Anyways, hopefully I've spared a few people that same ordeal
post #42 of 74 Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:

I'm 100% happy and content with my current 3D set-up, but it took me weeks and hours and hours of research to finally find what right for me. I can't imagine that the average person would go through such an ordeal. Anyways, hopefully I've spared a few people that same ordeal

You did, with me at least. Thank you for the very helpful information.
post #43 of 74 Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You still deciding on them?

I just ordered 4-pair from the person on eBay that is selling them for $106.25 (shipped) each. Hopefully, I will be able to sell them to someone if I don't like them.

bluemetal77 - Did you order from this person? How long did it take to get them? I am hoping to get mine before Nov. 23rd.

Thanks,

-ftlee
post #44 of 74 Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:

bluemetal77 - Did you order from this person? How long did it take to get them? I am hoping to get mine before Nov. 23rd.

Thanks,

-ftlee

I think he is the only seller on eBay posting worldwide .. so yes ordered through him .. its been 15 days and counting .. haven't received it yet! .. But i'm all the way down here in Australia .. so maybe it takes a few more days than usual ..

Although things shipped from AmazonUK reach here within 8-10 days .. so obviously this seller is using low-priority cheap shipping ..

Let me know when you get yours! .. I'll buy 2 from you if you don't like em .. But you gotta give me a discount
post #45 of 74 Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

bluemetal77 - I don't actually think that person on eBay actually has them. I ordered mine on Wednesday morning. The auction indicates the order will ship with 24-hours. Mine still haven't shipped. Any word on yours?

waco - Where did you order your ZD201s from?
post #46 of 74 Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Can I order the ZD201's from Amazon.UK? Will they ship to the USA?
post #47 of 74 Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes and yes. Check expansys us also.
post #48 of 74 Old 11-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:

bluemetal77 - I don't actually think that person on eBay actually has them. I ordered mine on Wednesday morning. The auction indicates the order will ship with 24-hours. Mine still haven't shipped. Any word on yours?

waco - Where did you order your ZD201s from?

I ordered mine from a UK Ebay Seller/Store named "shop4usb". The shipping wasn't the fastest, it took a couple weeks actually, but I did receive them sure enough, and they were packaged nicely. I contact the seller after about a week and he did respond to let me know the status. Just takes a while I guess, but no complaints otherwise
post #49 of 74 Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

My 4-pairs of the ZD201's shipped today. Hopefully they work out or, I will need to sell them to someone...
post #50 of 74 Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:

My 4-pairs of the ZD201's shipped today. Hopefully they work out or, I will need to sell them to someone...

I think you will be very pleased
post #51 of 74 Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:

I think you will be very pleased

Yup, indeed!

On another note, I haven't received mine yet so have opened up an item not received case .. grrrrrr... must've been seriously lost somewhere! .. lets see what happens!
post #52 of 74 Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Yup, indeed!

On another note, I haven't received mine yet so have opened up an item not received case .. grrrrrr... must've been seriously lost somewhere! .. lets see what happens!

How long has it been?
post #53 of 74 Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

How long has it been?

Was posted out on 26/10 ... its 16/11 today .. 21 odd days!
post #54 of 74 Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 AM

Well i didn't receive the glasses .. so the seller admitted it may have been lost in mail and refunded my money .. even though i told him i want replacement to be sent .. not a refund.. but since then he's taken the listing off as well .. hmmmm!

I'm gonna ask my friend in the UK to send it to me ..
post #55 of 74 Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Well i didn't receive the glasses .. so the seller admitted it may have been lost in mail and refunded my money .. even though i told him i want replacement to be sent .. not a refund.. but since then he's taken the listing off as well .. hmmmm!

I'm gonna ask my friend in the UK to send it to me ..

Sucks, oh well, least you got your money back...have you ever tried expansys-usa? I'm curious about them
post #56 of 74 Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Can any of you who have used the ZD201's tell me if they suffer from the same "rainbow effect" on bright scenes that the ZD101's are plagued with. I have been using the 101's for about a year now and I would like to upgrade to a newer more comfortable product and I would be very happy to get rid of the rainbows that show up every time anything is on the brighter side.
post #57 of 74 Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM

It sounds like these are the best pair of glasses around, unfortunately they are impossible to get a hold of. I was hoping to have the wife get them for me for christmas.
post #58 of 74 Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 PM

hey ftlee, did you get your zd201's you ordered from ebay? how are they working out for you?

i'm finally going to get my 1 pair .. bought them at amazon uk and shipped it to a friend in the uk .. he will mail them to me by next week .. yoo hoo.. i will have 4 glasses .. 2 x zd101's and 2 x zd201's!
post #59 of 74 Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 AM

The eBay seller ""shop4usb" doesn't sell the ZD201's anymore and Expansys charges an import duty (i live in Canada) so with that and shipping they are $146 for 1 pair. Thats crazy for 3D glasses.
Received quote from Daniel at TrueDepth 3D and for 3 pairs of TrueDepth 3D rechargeable glasses with shipping to Canadais $225, now thats like $75 a pair, not bad at all
Where is everyone ordering the ZD201's from?
post #60 of 74 Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynkim View Post

Can any of you who have used the ZD201's tell me if they suffer from the same "rainbow effect" on bright scenes that the ZD101's are plagued with. I have been using the 101's for about a year now and I would like to upgrade to a newer more comfortable product and I would be very happy to get rid of the rainbows that show up every time anything is on the brighter side.

are you sure it's the zd101's? I have 2 pairs of these and have never seen what you described.
Reply 3D Tech Talk