Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 74 Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi,

I'm using a Optoma GT720 with Optoma ZD101 DLP Link glasses. I just notice the coming Optoma 3DXL box will come with ZD201 DLP Link glasses.

Anyone know what's the difference between ZD101 and ZD201 glasses? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know. But I wonder if the ZD201s will have the reverse-sync button that the ViewSonic PGD-150s have. The Optoma ZD101s don't have this.
post #3 of 74 Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM

ZD201 DLP Link 3D glasses, its second generation of 3D glasses. Offering a lightweight design and increased comfort from interchangeable nose pieces and ear pieces that fold at the temple, the ZD201, which are designed for use with all DLP Link 3D ready projectors, will go on sale in January and carry an end-user price of $99.

We learned a lot with our first gen glasses, said Jon Grodem, Optoma's senior director of product and marketing. We've been able to refine them by making them
more comfortable, more energy efficient, and of course, more stylish. It puts us in a much stronger position to serve the market as it grows.

The ZD201 glasses offer one button on-off control, will sync with any projector that incorporates DLP Link technology, and operate on one CR2032 battery, which is included.

My Stuff:
Sam HL67A750 and Pan BDT-350 / HL61A750 and BDT-210
Viewsonic PGD-150 / IO system glasses & IR emitter / 3DTVcorp Gen2 emiter / x102 blue. *SSG1000
IR and DLP Link together :)
post #4 of 74 Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post

I don't know. But I wonder if the ZD201s will have the reverse-sync button that the ViewSonic PGD-150s have. The Optoma ZD101s don't have this.

I have the ZD101s and I don't know IF this is what you call "reverse sync" or not - BUT - something changes several times each time I quickly push and release the button on the glasses.....and one of the 3 changes always looks MORE 3D than the other two - to me.
post #5 of 74 Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
ZD201s CANCELED

I just got an email from the company responding to my questions about the glasses, the news wasn't good (bold part by me):

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in the ZD201 glasses. Regrettably, after further testing and looking at all aspects of the ZD201 project, the company has decided to not pursue manufacturing the ZD201.

We will continue to sell the ZD101 glasses and are looking at other options coming out as early as this summer. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

post #6 of 74 Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Has Optoma's new product management team stumbled again?

Is this what is holding up the 3DXL?? Maybe they can't decide what glasses to put in the box containing the 3DXL?
post #7 of 74 Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Damn, sounds like someone messed-up? Either they have a fault or maybe they just can't make enough money on them?? I've seen the same ZD101 type glasses re-braned from Viewsonic, BenQ and Acer, I wonder if they are all out to?
post #8 of 74 Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Does anybody know? Optoma BG-ZD101 glasses. Do they have an auto shut off feature if the TV stops sending the link signal? For instance if you switch from a 3D channel to a regular 2D channel?
post #9 of 74 Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by insman1132 View Post

Does anybody know? Optoma BG-ZD101 glasses. Do they have an auto shut off feature if the TV stops sending the link signal? For instance if you switch from a 3D channel to a regular 2D channel?

NO - not Auto, I like this better - you hold down the "button" on left until a little red light STAYS ON for a bit - release and they are OFF!
post #10 of 74 Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 AM

I was hoping to purchase the upcoming Optoma BG-ZD201 3D glasses (due mid-March) but I just received an email from an U.S. Optoma Inside Sales Rep on 7Mar11 stating, "Thank you for your inquiry into Optoma products. After testing we have found the ZD101 would be best. At this time the ZD201 glasses are not going to be offered."

Suspecting a manufacturing yield problem on the ZD201 glasses, I decided not to wait anymore and ordered two of the current Optoma ZD101 3D glasses and determined that these have a solid DLP link at up to 20 feet (did not try any further range) from the front of the HDTV without any loss of sync or color shifting.

I am very happy with them and would recommend the ZD101 over the ViewSonic PGD-250 (which will not sync properly beyond 9 feet) for those viewers with the same HDTV, viewing range, watching movies from a Blu-Ray DVD source or playing 3D games from a PS3 or XBox 360 game console.

I have a new Mitsubishi WD-73838 DLP HDTV (with firmware 12.07 and no 3D adapter or emitter), a PS3 as my Blu-Ray 3D player/game console and a Motorola DCX3200-M cable box supplied by Cox.
post #11 of 74 Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Hank View Post

I was hoping to purchase the upcoming Optoma BG-ZD201 3D glasses (due mid-March) but I just received an email from an U.S. Optoma Inside Sales Rep on 7Mar11 stating, "Thank you for your inquiry into Optoma products. After testing we have found the ZD101 would be best. At this time the ZD201 glasses are not going to be offered."

Suspecting a manufacturing yield problem on the ZD201 glasses, I decided not to wait anymore and ordered two of the current Optoma ZD101 3D glasses and determined that these have a solid DLP link at up to 20 feet (did not try any further range) from the front of the HDTV without any loss of sync or color shifting.

I am very happy with them and would recommend the ZD101 over the ViewSonic PGD-250 (which will not sync properly beyond 9 feet) for those viewers with the same HDTV, viewing range, watching movies from a Blu-Ray DVD source or playing 3D games from a PS3 or XBox 360 game console.

I have a new Mitsubishi WD-73838 DLP HDTV (with firmware 12.07 and no 3D adapter or emitter), a PS3 as my Blu-Ray 3D player/game console and a Motorola DCX3200-M cable box supplied by Cox.

Thank you Tech Hank,
I am looking to purchase the WD-92840 Mitsubishi once they come out.
We will be sitting 14 feet away from the TV.
Are you still happy with your purchase?
Do you have any issues with the Optoma?
post #12 of 74 Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It looks like the ZD201 are available in the UK. They tend to sell for $100-129 from various vendors. Expansys also has them available and Amazon.uk has them from third party sellers and direct from Amazon in a month or so. Tempted to order a pair.
post #13 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't get it, why is the ZD201 still on sale in the UK when it was discontinued by Optoma in early 2011 (jan/feb) .. no other company in the USA or anywhere would sell ZD201 .. they all sell 101.

Having said that, i do have a ZD201 that came with 3DXL, and i'm totally fine with the glasses. I have ordered 2 x ZD101 as they were costing me cheap .. but am thinking if getting a ZD201 from UK would be fine?

Any of you shared any experiences with these glasses?
post #14 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 01:18 AM

I have had both the ZD101's and now the ZD201 and I can say without a doubt that the ZD201's are hands down better than the ZD101's in every possible way imagineable. Visual quality is about the same (both are amazing), but that's where the similarities end. The construction and design of the ZD201's are masterful. They are THE best DLP-Link glasses available, and I have no idea why Optoma has chosen to not sell them in the US. People really need to write them and let them know that we want these in the states (I already did).

The ZD201's are the most comfortable and lightweight active glasses I've tried, yet they fit a big head like mine with ease. They fold (ZD101 did not) down to the size of a normal pair of reading glasses- it's hard to believe they even have any electronics inside. The arms on the ZD201's are rubberized and extremely comfortable, do not clamp down on the sides of your head and cause discomfort like the ZD101's. That's the main reason I got rid of them. Storing the ZD101's were a pain also, due to them not folding.

It's the little things you notice too. The hinges on the ZD101 did not flex and the arms were constructed of very flimsy plastic that were susceptible to breakage. The ZD201's have hinges that flex both ways and make them perfect for any sized head. The battery compartment is greatly improved- they now use only one battery and you no longer need a screw driver to change the battery. They have a very nice little slide out cover and you just pop it in. Also the lenses have much less glare than previously, thanx to a very nice little visor that is on the top inside of the glasses, blocking light from sneaking in. You do not notice it at all when you're wearing it, but it really helps. Finally, they just look 500 times better than the ZD101's. The Zd101's looked comically big and nerdy (not in a good way), and were just heavy and akward. It boggles my mind that they decided to keep selling them in the US and not the vastly superior ZD201's, but anyways, they're available on Ebay and Expansys-USA, so it's really not that big of a deal.

TIP: If you don't wanna put up $100+ for a pair of 3D Dlp-Link Glasses, then I would also highly recommend the new Rechargeable True-Depth DLP-Link Glasses sold on Amazon. They are the only other dlp-link glasses I've found that can compete and they are very affordable. They're about $140 for 2 pairs. They have everything that I like about the ZD201's, and even come with a pouch and cleaning cloth and a reverse sync button, which I know is important for some people. I currently own a pair of the ZD201's and 2 of the True-Depth's and I am very happy with both. Trust me, I've tried every dlp-link glasses out there, and for anyone with a pre 2010 DLP television, these are the only 2 glasses worth your money.
post #15 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Thanks for such an indepth review .. that's how everyone should post .. otherwise aimless 2-3 lines don't help much

Ok so i'm already happy with ZD201 as i've said .. but i'm willing to give the Tru Depth 3D ones a try .. now i read on another post here, and in 1 of the reviews on Amazon that some people were experiencing light reflection on the lenses and some black spots that would appear periodically at some angles (i had the same problem with an unbranded pair i tried).. have you experienced any of those? .. just want to know so that i don't have to go through the whole return process (Which i have for a pair which was unbranded .. pathetic glasses) .. so i've lost a few $$ already ..

I've found a UK seller who's selling the ZD201's for $100 delivered .. so will try getting my hands on 1-pair .. like you .. i'm too trying to get 2 pairs of ZD201's in my hand .. and then 2 others .. i'm expecting the ZD101 in a couple of days .. but yeah the non folding and bulky design would be a massive turn off specially after owning ZD201 .. so i'll keep a strict watch on the True Depth ..

So but in your honest opinion would you rate the True Depth Glasses better than the 101's ? ... i mean i've tried those unbranded ones and i was appalled that they were so bad in contrast and all the blacks were grey and whites had a green tinge (because the glass lenses were greenish) .. the True Depth and 101's don't suffer with that right?

Thanks for all your help
post #16 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

NO - not Auto, I like this better - you hold down the "button" on left until a little red light STAYS ON for a bit - release and they are OFF!

According to this, they do have an Auto Shut Off feature:

http://marketing.optomausa.com/PDFs/..._Datasheet.pdf
post #17 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemetal77 View Post

Thanks for such an indepth review .. that's how everyone should post .. otherwise aimless 2-3 lines don't help much

Ok so i'm already happy with ZD201 as i've said .. but i'm willing to give the Tru Depth 3D ones a try .. now i read on another post here, and in 1 of the reviews on Amazon that some people were experiencing light reflection on the lenses and some black spots that would appear periodically at some angles (i had the same problem with an unbranded pair i tried).. have you experienced any of those? .. just want to know so that i don't have to go through the whole return process (Which i have for a pair which was unbranded .. pathetic glasses) .. so i've lost a few $$ already ..

I've found a UK seller who's selling the ZD201's for $100 delivered .. so will try getting my hands on 1-pair .. like you .. i'm too trying to get 2 pairs of ZD201's in my hand .. and then 2 others .. i'm expecting the ZD101 in a couple of days .. but yeah the non folding and bulky design would be a massive turn off specially after owning ZD201 .. so i'll keep a strict watch on the True Depth ..

So but in your honest opinion would you rate the True Depth Glasses better than the 101's ? ... i mean i've tried those unbranded ones and i was appalled that they were so bad in contrast and all the blacks were grey and whites had a green tinge (because the glass lenses were greenish) .. the True Depth and 101's don't suffer with that right?

Thanks for all your help

Well the black spots I have definitely not noticed, the picture has always been virtually flawless for me. Contrast is really good, the blacks get really black, and whatever moments of grayish/black I noticed happened to just be a result of the video itself, because I tested the image in 2D also and looked pretty much the same. The lenses are probably some of the most neutral in color that I've seen and will definitely not give off a greenish tint when watching 3D. Whatever little tint there is disappears when you turn them on.

As far as glare is concerned, it's not a problem for me, but they do have more glare than the ZD201's which have almost none. The glare is only on the outside corners of the glasses but do not interfere with the image itself, and is not something I even really noticed until I heard a few others talking about it. I played around with it a bit, trying to find out where the glare was coming from, and it's from the back. I'm guessing because the arms are only like a 1/4" thick. I don't think it has anything to do with the glossy paint on the glasses themselves. When I put my hands on my ears, the glare is gone, so I know it's coming from the back. Honestly though, it's not really any more glare than I noticed with any other glasses like the XPands or ZD101's. I'm perfectly fine with it. I would just try to avoid having as little light as possible behind you when watching 3D
post #18 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

According to this, they do have an Auto Shut Off feature:

http://marketing.optomausa.com/PDFs/..._Datasheet.pdf

They have both. You can press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to turn them off automatically or you can just put them away and they will turn off soon after the signal is lost
post #19 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as glare is concerned, it's not a problem for me, but they do have more glare than the ZD201's which have almost none.

So, none of the glare issues that I ran into on the True Depth glasses? Can you confirm that is what you are saying? Are they better than the Xpand X102s? Also, have you tried any RF-based glasses yet (Monster Vision Max 3D or the Optoma Technology BG-3D RF Glasses)?

Thanks!

-ftlee
post #20 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

So, none of the glare issues that I ran into on the True Depth glasses? Can you confirm that is what you are saying? Are they better than the Xpand X102s? Also, have you tried any RF-based glasses yet (Monster Vision Max 3D or the Optoma Technology BG-3D RF Glasses)?

Thanks!

-ftlee

As far as glare is concerned, the ZD201's have virtually no glare, you'll be pleased I'm sure.

I actually have not tried the RF glasses, and don't really plan on it. I'm very happy with my Optoma's and True Depth's and don't see any reason to continue my search. I knew about them, but right now there are just too few options available and too many unknowns and lack of information/reviews for me to consider them. However, I do like the concept and they could be something to keep an eye on.
post #21 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Ok i ended up ordering the Optoma ZD201 (just 1 pair) last night .. so i will have 2 x ZD201 with me when i get em .. and i'll first give the ZD101's a shot before i decide if i want to keep them or get True Depth 3D. I'll use ZD201's for myself n wifey .. and the 2 extra for the occasional guest(s) we get ..

The glare was a problem in the unbranded 3D glasses i had, i could see the reflection of the screen in the lens lower right n left corners .. annoying as he|| .. and yes it comes from the back .. but again, not in the ZD201... but then ZD201 does have a smaller lens area .. so that could help.

Btw, the True Depth glasses are cheaper on eBay, but unfortunately i'll have to pay Intn'l shipping anyways!
post #22 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACO View Post

As far as glare is concerned, the ZD201's have virtually no glare, you'll be pleased I'm sure.

Yup, i can vouch for that .. awesome glasses! .. just wish it had the sync-reverse switch ..
post #23 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but then ZD201 does have a smaller lens area

Do you think that this is that big a deal? Just from a viewing perspective (not glare). Do you wish they had bigger lenses?

Thanks,

-ftlee
post #24 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Do you think that this is that big a deal? Just from a viewing perspective (not glare). Do you wish they had bigger lenses?

Thanks,

-ftlee

Depends on the size of your screen in front of you .. just wear any normal small-medium sized specs and you'll notice you can see a lot in that window that surrounds the lens ..

I project on to a 124" screen and if i sit too close (within 2-3 meters/8 feet) .. i sometimes have to tilt my head up a bit to see what's happening in the top left corner as the glasses frame would shadow it .. but if i sit half a meter further (1-2 feet) .. it gives me a view to the ceiling .. so i don't think smaller lens is a big deal .. and certainly any screen size smaller than what I've mentioned wouldn't be a problem!

I'm keen to check out the ZD101 when they arrive to see if it makes any difference to the viewing experience .. i'd say no for now ..
post #25 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemetal77 View Post

Depends on the size of your screen in front of you .. just wear any normal small-medium sized specs and you'll notice you can see a lot in that window that surrounds the lens ..

I project on to a 124" screen and if i sit too close (within 2-3 meters/8 feet) .. i sometimes have to tilt my head up a bit to see what's happening in the top left corner as the glasses frame would shadow it .. but if i sit half a meter further (1-2 feet) .. it gives me a view to the ceiling .. so i don't think smaller lens is a big deal .. and certainly any screen size smaller than what I've mentioned wouldn't be a problem!

I'm keen to check out the ZD101 when they arrive to see if it makes any difference to the viewing experience .. i'd say no for now ..

Just try and watch an entire movie with the ZD101's. At first they feel fine- It was only after an hour of wearing them that I noticed how much they were digging into the sides of my head, and the pain became close to unbearable towards the end.
post #26 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

-ftlee

Just throwin in my two cents also. I have a 60" Mitsubishi DLP and watch from about 8 feet away and the lenses are big enough to easily cover the entire viewing area of the screen. I don't have to look down or tilt my head up at all. Not even close
post #27 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a 65" Mits DLP (WD-65838) and my viewing distance is 8'. Do you think I will be alright?

P.S. Didn't you have or try XPand X102s? That is what I have now. Do the ZD201 glasses have a smaller lens than those?

Thanks,

-ftlee
post #28 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:

Just throwin in my two cents also. I have a 60" Mitsubishi DLP and watch from about 8 feet away and the lenses are big enough to easily cover the entire viewing area of the screen. I don't have to look down or tilt my head up at all. Not even close

That would be correct! .. Like i said, size of the screen and seating distance will make it all good ..

Again, i'll say, 1-2 cms smaller lens wouldn't make a difference in the viewing experience .. but just by looking at the images, i think the ZD201 would have smaller lenses than the xpand ones ..
post #29 of 74 Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Just try and watch an entire movie with the ZD101's. At first they feel fine- It was only after an hour of wearing them that I noticed how much they were digging into the sides of my head, and the pain became close to unbearable towards the end.

I know what you mean .. i don't normally wear glasses .. so wearing one for a movie or for that long itself makes me uncomfortable .. let alone having something heavy resting on my nose!

Ok you've scared me enough :P ..
post #30 of 74 Old 10-25-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:

I have a 65" Mits DLP (WD-65838) and my viewing distance is 8'. Do you think I will be alright?

P.S. Didn't you have or try XPand X102s? That is what I have now. Do the ZD201 glasses have a smaller lens than those?

Thanks,

-ftlee

Ya, you have pretty much the same set-up as I do then, trust me you'll be fine. If you had a 100" screen at 8 feet I would maybe say then that you might start having to tilt your head a bit, but at 65" from around 8 feet, your'e gold.

I did have the XPands and the lenses were actually pretty similar in size. Now that I think about it, the lenses on the ZD201's are probably most similar to the ones that come on the Mitsubishi 3Dc-1000 starter kit, if you're familiar with those then you'll have a good understanding of them, and no one complained about them being too small. I really wouldn't worry about the size of the lenses. I even had my mom try on the ZD201's over her bigger librarian style glasses and she was fine with it.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page