post #91 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

Ualnosag, you paid $75 for the ultra-clears? Not sure why they would charge you extra. I find them just as comfortable as the nVidia ones, and better quality.

PensFan66, do you have more than one pair? Perhaps you got a bad one.

He probably paid more in tax. I would have to pay $70 and change, here in California.

Subtotal: $59.95
Shipping: $4.95
Tax: $5.25
Total: $70.15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

Can someone speak to the rainbow issue with these glasses? I have the Optoma HD66 which already produces this effect.

The rainbows are just a faint discoloration (purple/green) in the corner of the screen on dlp rptvs because the orientation of the lenses does not agree with the plastic of the screen. If the dlp link lenses were rotated to match the ir glasses lenses they would be perfect and produce no polarization rainbows.

Polarization rainbows is an effect from looking through polarized glass at plastic; you can see these using polarized sunglasses and looking at a plastic screen cover on a phone. If someone didn't point out this side effect you might not even notice it.
It is not a dlp rainbow associated with the dlp color wheel.

The glasses are pretty awesome for the money. I am sitting 12 feet away from my 65" Mits 65736. I don't know why people need them to work in a bright room, 3d is meant for a dark environment. I had my doubts about dlp link even working but they perform as well as ir glasses and block the dlp link flash. It has really improved the picture.
post #93 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoodily View Post

The rainbows are just a faint discoloration (purple/green) in the corner of the screen on dlp rptvs.
It is not a dlp rainbow associated with the dlp color wheel.

Okay thanks Spoodily,
So users of DLP projectors should not have this problem, correct ?
post #94 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

He probably paid more in tax. I would have to pay $70 and change, here in California.

Subtotal: $59.95
Shipping: $4.95
Tax: $5.25
Total: $70.15

I'm in Canada In addition to (import) taxes, the postal system adds the wonderful handling fee to process.

The glasses themselves are fine, they just don't come with the nice rubber nose bridge insert (vision kit has 2 sizes), that's all.

Quote:
Your Order
Ultra-Clear
DLP LINK
Wireless 3D
Glasses
Additional Ultra-Clear 3D Glasses : Add 3 glasses (+$177)
$236.95
Subtotal: $236.95
Shipping: $24.00 (to Canada)
Tax: $0.00
Total: $260.95

post #95 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks Spoodily. So, yours are the ones from 3D Heaven? The blue ones? I'm confused about those and the ones from the Chinese web that sells the camo looking ones.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post24741865
post #96 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks Spoodily. So, yours are the ones from 3D Heaven? The blue ones? I'm confused about those and the ones from the Chinese web that sells the camo looking ones.

Yes, I'm using the dlp link version on my 65736 and my parents use the ir version on their 73738. They are both blue, the dlp link pairs say dlp link on them.
post #97 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

Okay thanks Spoodily,
So users of DLP projectors should not have this problem, correct ?

Exactly, the reason these dlp link glasses aren't concerned with the orientation of the lenses is because they are normally used with projectors against a screen or painted wall.

I just don't understand why a similar pair of glasses for ir emitter and dlp link don't use the same glass orientation. It seems like more work to make them different. If you want to see the orientation look at an LCD screen through the glasses and rotate them until the screen goes dark. The dlp link made the screen black when rotated 45 degrees left and the ir glasses when rotated 90 degrees left. The glasses don't need to be on to see this.
post #98 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I just don't understand why a similar pair of glasses for ir emitter and dlp link don't use the same glass orientation. It seems like more work to make them different.

Great question. As it stands, aside from build and price I don't see these being better than the Viewsonics, and with those being able to reverse them is worth the price difference. I just don't see wearing these glasses upside down would be comfortable for a 2 hr movie.
post #99 of 593 Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 PM

Since I got these glasses I've been watching 3d in natural mode rather than bright like I did with the Mitsubishi glasses. It's amazing how much the dlp link flash was washing out and how well the flash is blocked with dlp link glasses. Aside from the minor polarization rainbow discoloration of the screen (which I rarely notice depending on the scene) my 65736 using dlp link looks as good as my folks 73738 using ir glasses with dlp link flash disabled.
post #100 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburris View Post
I've been a silent member of this forum for nearly 4 years now but I've just got to say this:

Some novice readers may see the number of posts you have under your belt and get the false impression that you aren't talking out of your ass 99% of the time. Luckily most readers would notice that in 6 months you have amassed 400+ posts, and realize that instead of hearing a voice of experience when reading your posts, it's simply the sound of a know-it-all-attention-whore. In the last 24 hours, I have browsed 3 different 3D threads, all of which were peppered with your nvidia-fanboy-esque posts. Reading the above quote of yours was the catalyst that pushed me over the edge and spawned this rant.

By the way, it's "in other words," not "another wards," dumbass.
Yikes... What does that make me??

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #101 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 PM

Can the title of this thread be changed to "Ultra-Clear DLP Link glasses" to clarify this is the dlp link version of the 3d heaven glasses thread?
post #102 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Can someone speak to the rainbow issue with these glasses? I have the Optoma HD66 which already produces this effect.

Here's what I see on my HLT6187S with 3d mode off and the ultra-clear dlp-link glasses off. When 3d is enabled and the glasses turned on, the rainbows really bloom. Is this what other people are putting up with on almost all dlp-link glasses?
LL
post #103 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM

So Mathew Orman is the 3D scam king? and Nvidia is the Queen?....
post #104 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post

Here's what I see on my HLT6187S with 3d mode off and the ultra-clear dlp-link glasses off. When 3d is enabled and the glasses turned on, the rainbows really bloom. Is this what other people are putting up with on almost all dlp-link glasses?

He's talking about a different issue. He won't see polarization rainbows using a projector.

Yes, most dlp link glasses look like that when viewing a rptv because of the plastic screen. Real D CrystalEyes 5 do not but they are $175. The effect isn't that noticeable when viewing regular content but if your thing is staring at a white screen wearing 3d glasses it probably could get distracting.
post #105 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:

He's talking about a different issue. He won't see polarization rainbows using a projector.

Yes, most dlp link glasses look like that when viewing a rptv because of the plastic screen. Real D CrystalEyes 5 do not but they are $175. The effect isn't that noticeable when viewing regular content but if your thing is staring at a white screen wearing 3d glasses it probably could get distracting.

Rats. I sure hope that I find out different. I was hoping to use the same tech on both my Mitsu RPTV and my Optoma projector. Is this a definitive result or does it depend on some factors?
post #106 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu52Guy View Post

Rats. I sure hope that I find out different. I was hoping to use the same tech on both my Mitsu RPTV and my Optoma projector. Is this a definitive result or does it depend on some factors?

The orientation of the lenses in the glasses is the only factor that causes the problem. The RealD CE5 glasses are the only pair I know of that have the lenses orientated in the same fashion as IR glasses. The reason IR glasses don't show rainbows is because they are made to be looking at LCD screens. The orientation of the lenses will darken LCD screens and at the right angle make it go black.

The rainbow is honestly not that bad. If you don't point it out most people wouldn't even notice it, especially in movies with black bars at the top and bottom. These glasses would be great for guests/kids/spouse/etc. that don't really care and don't pay attention to the slight discoloration. $175 for CE5 is a lot of money but it might be worth it if you just have to have it. I would buy them but I think with the next generation of 3D projectors coming out dlp-link glasses are going to be plentiful and someone will figure out they can make BANK if they just change the rotation of the lenses to satisfy all of those rptv DLP owners out there. These ultra-clear glasses are awesome for the price. I'm almost tempted to buy a pair of IR glasses as a lens donor and try to swap the guts of the glasses out with each other.

Side note:
Turning your head to make the rainbows go away does not mean look left and right and peak out of the corner of your eye. Rotate your head so as to put you ear on your shoulder while facing the screen.
post #107 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:

The orientation of the lenses in the glasses is the only factor that causes the problem. The RealD CE5 glasses are the only pair I know of that have the lenses orientated in the same fashion as IR glasses. The reason IR glasses don't show rainbows is because they are made to be looking at LCD screens. The orientation of the lenses will darken LCD screens and at the right angle make it go black.

The rainbow is honestly not that bad. If you don't point it out most people wouldn't even notice it, especially in movies with black bars at the top and bottom. These glasses would be great for guests/kids/spouse/etc. that don't really care and don't pay attention to the slight discoloration. $175 for CE5 is a lot of money but it might be worth it if you just have to have it. I would buy them but I think with the next generation of 3D projectors coming out dlp-link glasses are going to be plentiful and someone will figure out they can make BANK if they just change the rotation of the lenses to satisfy all of those rptv DLP owners out there. These ultra-clear glasses are awesome for the price. I'm almost tempted to buy a pair of IR glasses as a lens donor and try to swap the guts of the glasses out with each other.

Side note:
Turning your head to make the rainbows go away does not mean look left and right and peak out of the corner of your eye. Rotate your head so as to put you ear on your shoulder while facing the screen.

Good to know. TBH I've never been able to see "the rainbow effect" when viewing content in 2D or 3D on my RPTV.
post #108 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Here are pictures taken by jjknatl that show the rainbows on a Mits DLP with Optoma Glasses.

He discussed it here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18906152

They don't seem to be as severe as yours.
post #109 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Can the title of this thread be changed to "Ultra-Clear DLP Link glasses" to clarify this is the dlp link version of the 3d heaven glasses thread?

Yes. I reported your request to the moderators, agreeing to change it.

Edit: That was fast, thanks.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #110 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu52Guy View Post

Good to know. TBH I've never been able to see "the rainbow effect" when viewing content in 2D or 3D on my RPTV.

I've never seen the dlp rainbow caused by the color wheel on any dlp. I did force the error by pausing on a scene and cutting my eyes back and forth real fast across the screen. I think that the dlp rainbow is something of the past that plagues the dlp name. They use better color wheels now, there's a good video on YouTube explaining how it all works. It's amazing it works the way it does.

The polarization rainbows is a different animal, it's just a matter of polarized glass and plastic. I saw them on a cruise ship looking at the windows through my sunglasses. When the companies use the same lenses that are in the ir glasses the problem will be solved.

I'm blown away by how much better my picture is now that the dlp link flash is getting blocked. It's amazing.
post #111 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:

I think that the dlp rainbow is something of the past that plagues the dlp name. They use better color wheels now, there's a good video on YouTube explaining how it all works. It's amazing it works the way it does.

I still see it once in a while (very rarely), but mostly on a black scene. I can't complain, on my 73C9 it rarely happens but on my Samsung HLR6167W it's more frequent.
post #112 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:

I've never seen the dlp rainbow caused by the color wheel on any dlp. I did force the error by pausing on a scene and cutting my eyes back and forth real fast across the screen. I think that the dlp rainbow is something of the past that plagues the dlp name. They use better color wheels now, there's a good video on YouTube explaining how it all works. It's amazing it works the way it does.

The polarization rainbows is a different animal, it's just a matter of polarized glass and plastic. I saw them on a cruise ship looking at the windows through my sunglasses. When the companies use the same lenses that are in the ir glasses the problem will be solved.

I'm blown away by how much better my picture is now that the dlp link flash us getting blocked. It's amazing.

Got that link to the video? I'd love to see it.
post #113 of 593 Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 PM

post #114 of 593 Old 01-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, most dlp link glasses look like that when viewing a rptv because of the plastic screen. [...] The effect isn't that noticeable when viewing regular content but if your thing is staring at a white screen wearing 3d glasses it probably could get distracting.

I guess I posted more detail in the other ultra-clear thread. I think people are severely downplaying the issue. The picture I posted is on a light silver background with 3d mode off and the glasses off. The rainbow stripes are more noticeable than the picture demonstrates. As soon as 3d mode and the glasses are turned on, the rainbows really bloom. It's visible on ALL content, ALL the time. Rotating the glasses does almost nothing to the rainbows which dispels the polarization theory.

I was hoping I was just being a picky perfectionist or have sensitive eyes. My wife thinks all my av calibrations are silly because she can barely tell the difference. Yet the first time she was watching Black Ops in 3D (extremely varied content and fast movement) she said "oh wow! cool! ... why are there rainbows everywhere?". Later one of my kids said "oohhhh, pretty pretty rainbows!".
post #115 of 593 Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I guess I posted more detail in the other ultra-clear thread. I think people are severely downplaying the issue. The picture I posted is on a light silver background with 3d mode off and the glasses off. The rainbow stripes are more noticeable than the picture demonstrates. As soon as 3d mode and the glasses are turned on, the rainbows really bloom. It's visible on ALL content, ALL the time. Rotating the glasses does almost nothing to the rainbows which dispels the polarization theory.

I was hoping I was just being a picky perfectionist or have sensitive eyes. My wife thinks all my av calibrations are silly because she can barely tell the difference. Yet the first time she was watching Black Ops in 3D (extremely varied content and fast movement) she said "oh wow! cool! ... why are there rainbows everywhere?". Later one of my kids said "oohhhh, pretty pretty rainbows!".

It's not a "theory" about what causes the rainbows, it's a fact. The lenses aren't in the glasses in the same orientation as the IR glasses; if the IR glasses didn't have their lenses in the way they do they would show rainbows as well.

If you don't want to see rainbows or dlp link flash spend $175 on RealD CrystalEyes 5 glasses. Their lenses are at the correct angle.

I'm very happy with the less than perfect $60 glasses and think the rainbow issue is minor.
post #116 of 593 Old 01-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:

If you don't want to see rainbows or dlp link flash spend $175 on RealD CrystalEyes 5 glasses.

Do they not block out the DLP flash at all?

My nvidia glasses suck with DLP link turned on, the image looks really washed-out.
post #117 of 593 Old 01-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick [D]vB View Post

Do they not block out the DLP flash at all?

My nvidia glasses suck with DLP link turned on, the image looks really washed-out.

I think you misread what I said.

Dlp link glasses will block the flash but most cause polarization rainbows. CrystalEyes 5 glasses will block the flash and won't cause polarization rainbows but cost $175. CrystalEyes 5 glasses are dlp link glasses.
post #118 of 593 Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Gotcha, I'm using front projection so I shouldn't get LCD "oil" type rainbows anyway right?
post #119 of 593 Old 01-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick [D]vB View Post

Gotcha, I'm using front projection so I shouldn't get LCD "oil" type rainbows anyway right?

Right. The plastic screen of the rptv is what causes the rainbows. The lenses in the glasses need to be a certain way for the rainbows not to show on rptv.

Dlp link was intended for projectors; this is why no concern is made by the manufacturers to pay attention to the orientation of the lenses.

RealD got it right with their dlp link glasses and I think they knew to do so because they sell packages with Mitsubishi dlp tvs with CE5 glasses for professional use.
post #120 of 593 Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:

RealD got it right with their dlp link glasses and I think they knew to do so because they sell packages with Mitsubishi dlp tvs with CE5 glasses for professional use.

So, are the CE5's the only ones that don't have the rainbow issues with the plastic screens?

Is there any sort of additional non-glare coating that could be added to the RPTV screen to reduce/eliminate this effect?

Mike W.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page