3d Bluray on HTPC - Roxio CinePlayer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been using the Arcsoft TMT5 demo for a couple weeks, and my trial just expired. I considered buying it ($99), but when I realized that you can actually buy full standalone 3d bluray players now for barely more than that ($120 on amazon), I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So I started digging around looking for something different. PowerDVD is out, since it's just as expensive. But I found this one - Roxio Cineplay - and couldn't find any threads where anyone tried it on here. But it was $49.99 normally, so much closer to what I thought was reasonable. Then I did some googling and found a couple discount codes. First, if you click through from this link it comes up as $39.99:

http://www.offers.com/offer/129015/

then on top of that add coupon code ROXIOSTORE15 and it'll give 15% off.

End of the line I had it for $33.99. For that I figured even though they don't have a demo or trial (bad Roxio, bad!), I'd try it out and if it sucked I'd just ask for a refund.

So far it works fine. It plays bluray 3d no problem (tested on coudblablaballs). My setup is a AMD 6870 -> optoma pro350w. The 3d settings menu in the software supports DLP (I'm guessing checkerboard?), shutter, and anaglyph modes. It has a 3d vision support emblem on the startup, so I assume the shutter mode probably works with 3d vision (not confirmed by me!). I don't see anything in the menu about hdmi 1.4 modes, though, so that might be a concern.

Also, one big downside to it as opposed to TMT is Windows Media Center integration. It doesn't seem to have any sort at all.

Yeah, I know, a lot of people probably just pirate stuff like this. and you won't get any indignation from me; I've done it in the past a lot. But I'm trying to fix my bad habits like that, and stupid $100 pricing on utility software like TMT/PowerDVD makes it tough

Anyway, just passing along the info for anyone else looking for alternatives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM

Liked: 10
Hi defiancep,

i wanted to ask you about the TMT5 and ATI6870 setup. Suppose it is used with Acer 5360 or any other dlp 3D projector like yours. What is needed for Bluray 3D? I mean you have the card, ati latest drivers, and tmt5. What 3D glasses you are using?

you just use HD3D in tmt5 and dlp link glasses and it works? or do you have a workaround since most ati setups are still suffering when it comes to 3D bluray comparing to nvidia vision.

thanks
post #3 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The catalyst drivers from a month or two ago sucked and you had to do registry hacks, but the latest drivers, it's honestly no problem at all - dead simple. Install and it worked. I'm using x102 DLP Link glasses. I do have the issue where I have to set the polarity when I first start a movie, but that icester guy far overstates the level of inconvenience; I've never had to swap other than when first starting a movie or game.
post #4 of 24 Old 12-18-2010, 05:08 AM

so basically the hd3d option in tmt5 is a dlp link option for ati cards?
post #5 of 24 Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, that's one use. It's intended for ATI cards; the ATI driver determines which implementation by recognizing the EDID of your display (thus determining whether it's hdmi 1.4, 120hz with dlp link, etc.etc.).
post #6 of 24 Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM

I am planning to get an acer H5360 as i have just invested in a AE4000 for 2D, so i am not going to get an RS40 or something or even a sharp 3D 1080 for now.

It seems the Acer is a good bang for the buck although its handicap is the positioning. I dont think 1080 will make a great difference for now as it seems many people have praised the acer to be very close to much more expensive projectors for 3D.

I was intending to get NVIDIA for 3D vision since their solution was at least working and supported. In contrast, ATI has not been with iz3d etc. I am a fan of ati since several years. I am currently using an ATI 4890 and happy with it but unfortunately it seems it does not support BD 3D thus i better get a 6 series ATI card and use tmt5 and HD3D and some DLP glasses. i am planning to do that in march hopefully as i am planning to visit the US for a training course. So until then, things will stabilize more hopefully. i hope they dont stop producing the acer at that time

Let me setup my AE4000 Now and watch The Last Airbender BD

N.B: i heard from one post earlier that the acer might not be supported by ati for 3d!??? well then an optoma HD66 can do the job i think!? is it less good then the acer, i heard the acer has more speed in the wheel.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I bought TMT5 around Black Friday and it was $59.95. Arcsoft had.an xmas2010 code that expired 3 days ago which would have made it around $65. TMT5 is so much better than the other programs. What sold me on was the downloadable Android app that made my droidx into a remote control for Tmt5. None of the other player can do this. Also, unless things changed, you have to have a matching 3D tv if you go the stand alone player route. This won't work for us that has their HTPC connected to a standard 1080p projector.

Edit -

Just wanted to clarify. HTPC's will still need a 3D projector, 3D capable video card, software, etc.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Depends on what you're looking for I guess. Having used both, cineplayer works just as well as tmt. Tmt just has some extras that cineplayer doesn't. Android remote, win mc integration, that kind of thing. Personally, i'd rather save he $60 or so
post #9 of 24 Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 AM

defiancecp,

do you have any receiver in the picture, hdmi 1.3a receiver for audio? are you connecting it in your 3D setup? do you still get loseless audio if you are using an hdmi 1.3 receiver? if this is the case, how do you connect your htpc to the receiver and projector?

I currently have an auzentech home theatre card. I wonder if i get an ati 6 series card, if the connections in 3D at 120 Hz for the projector will still allow me to get HD audio through my receiver using my audio card or if i have to use toslink or analogue instead. can powerdvd send video to one hdmi link and audio on another hdmi link!! i only need dvi to the sound card, i get hdmi out of it.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've got an hdmi 1.4 compatible receiver, and the eventual plan is to have:

input sources -> rcvr -> 3dxl -> proj

That way I can have all sources (including my htpc, since I have an ATI card) transmit 1.4 video (including 3d where applicable) with lossless audio and switch with no problems.

right now since the 3dxl isn't released yet, I have an hdmi switch post-receiver - my receiver won't carry 120hz refresh rate directly - Which means for now I can't use hdmi audio at all. So I have onboard digital audio transmitted to the receiver. For the next few weeks that means I've got to put up with 2-channel audio for gaming and other non-dolby-encoded sources, but it does carry dolby digital 5.1 audio from blurays fine. Not quite lossless, but it works fine as a stopgap 'til my 3dxl gets here. I'm more bothered by having the extra hdmi switch

I tried using two hdmi links, but with my card if there's no video source on the other side of the receiver it says the hdmi cable is disconnected. So as far as I can tell, the answer to your question is no.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 AM

I'm interested in software that works with the Acer H5360 in DLP link mode. It sounds like this works with Roxio Cineplay, but I just want to verify that is correct. I've got an HDMI cable running from the computer to the projector with HDMI adapters on both ends.

Do you think this setup would work with Roxio Cineplay? I'm trying to avoid going the NVIDIA 3D vision route since the glasses are more expensive.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msusparty View Post

I'm interested in software that works with the Acer H5360 in DLP link mode. It sounds like this works with Roxio Cineplay, but I just want to verify that is correct. I've got an HDMI cable running from the computer to the projector with HDMI adapters on both ends.

Do you think this setup would work with Roxio Cineplay? I'm trying to avoid going the NVIDIA 3D vision route since the glasses are more expensive.

What video card and 3D driver are uyou using?

Nvidia works great and you can get away with just buying the emitter and downloading the lastest drivers from Nvidia and then buying DLP Link glasses. As long as your HTPC is fast enough to play BD movies, it should handle the 3D but I would check their site to be sure the card is compatible.

You can use ATI and a driver like iZ3D... but good luck with that. Not sure this route would be any cheaper but it'll be more confusing to get working (so I read).
post #13 of 24 Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks for that info. I didn't realize you just needed to have the emitter attached, but could still use the DLP-link glasses. I've got a 230M Nvidia GPU. I know the latest driver supports Nvida 3D vision and the CPU is fast enough to play blu-ray movies without any problem.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 AM

One more question... How does the NVIDIA 3D vision IR emitter connect to the PC, via USB?
post #15 of 24 Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Yes it connects via usb
post #16 of 24 Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM

I just got the 3D Vision kit, and thanks to the OP, I now have a proper BD 3D player purchased and downloading!!

Thank you!
post #17 of 24 Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, one small update to this - roxio worked great for me in 120hz mode, and it supports nvidia 3d vision, so 3d vision should work great as well... But it doesn't seem to link to ATI's hd3d driver directly, meaning it won't work with ATI hdmi 1.4 connections.

I was very happy with it when I ran in 120hz mode, but I really want hd audio via hdmi, so I need to get my system all 1.4 compliant, and since roxio isn't compatible with it, I guess I'll have to switch to TMT5...

Again, very happy with it when it was compatible... but keep the limitations in mind.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-09-2011, 01:38 AM

Hello
i cannot find a trial cineplayer, so before I buy, I want to
know if it will work on my system?

xp sp3
ati 5450 1gb
latest catalyst with dalforce registry hack
Emachines v700 120Hz
dlp link glasses

Or what player should i use on XP?

thx
post #19 of 24 Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's my biggest complaint about cineplayer, no demo version...

Your system meets the requirements:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/ci...uirements.html

but your system is the one I know of that hasn't been able to get aqbs working via any known means with an acer, so it kinda stumps me anyway...

Honestly, it's probably the most likely to work among the options I'm aware of. PowerDVD and Arcsoft both try to hook into the hd3d driver (so they'll never work until you can get the 3d within the ati driver turned on), but cineplayer just works as a software-timed shutter player. So if anything would work, it would be roxio. I think, anyway...
post #20 of 24 Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 AM

Interesting.
My friend have success with TMT3, win7 and ati 5450 card +dlp link glasses.
So i'm curious why my 5450 doesn't support aqbs even in win7.
There are many versions of 5450's?
post #21 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

Well, one small update to this - roxio worked great for me in 120hz mode, and it supports nvidia 3d vision, so 3d vision should work great as well... But it doesn't seem to link to ATI's hd3d driver directly, meaning it won't work with ATI hdmi 1.4 connections.

I was very happy with it when I ran in 120hz mode, but I really want hd audio via hdmi, so I need to get my system all 1.4 compliant, and since roxio isn't compatible with it, I guess I'll have to switch to TMT5...

Again, very happy with it when it was compatible... but keep the limitations in mind.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but this was the only reference I was able to find on the Internet which seems to be related to my problem. So I was wondering if you contacted Roxio about this, because they have been no help to me so far.

I have the following setup:
- A Windows Server 2008 R2 HTPC containing a Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 Ultimate.
- A 3DTV from LG, model 55LW650S (Cinema 3D TV with passive glasses).
- A home theater system from LG, model LX751

My HTPC is connected via an HDMI 1.4 cable to the home theater system and my home theater system is then connected via an HDMI 1.4 cable to my 3DTV. Cineplayer 5.6.1 does not allow me to choose "3DTV HDMI 1.4" as a display type inside the "3D" configuration tab. Instead it returns the following error message: "This output type is not supported on the current machine, please select a new one". All the other options do not provide proper 3D display on my TV.

The one that seems to get close to proper 3D display is the "Active Shutter 100Hz or higher Display" option, but obviously that's not the correct option since I have passive glasses. At least with this option my TV detects that it is a 3D content and comes up with a dialog to wear my 3D glasses.

Please note that I also tested with the HTPC connected directly to my 3DTV, but that didn't solve the problem.

Is this the issue that you were referring to ?

Btw, PowerDVD 11 and TMT 5 don't work at all for me, I get an "Unsupported Format" error message when trying to play 3D content, either mounted BD ISOs or bluray discs. According to others this can be due to Virtual CloneDrive which is installed on the same machine. I uninstalled CloneDrive, but it didn't help in my case. So Cineplayer is my best bet at the moment.

EDIT:
Got TMT5 to work after installing Windows 7 Ultimate in dual-boot, so I need to figure out why it doesn't work in Windows Server 2008 R2. Anyway, as for Cineplayer I still have the same problem in Windows 7, so I assume it's the same issue that you mentioned previously. I still have a support case open with Roxio, but up to this point it's the worst technical support that I have dealt with ever! Their support must be done by customer service people instead of technical people.

EDIT 2:
In case it might help someone who's as mad as me to use Windows Server 2008 R2 on an HTPC, TMT 5 was throwing the error "Please insert a valid disc and try again." with either a BD ISO or physical disc and PDVD 11 was throwing the error "There is a a disc with an unsupported format in drive X:". The cause of the issue is described in the following article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/a...vd-burner.aspx . So I simply had to run TMT as administrator (right-click and "Run as administrator") to solve the problem. As for Cineplayer, going to request a refund, useless with AMD's HD3D.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 AM

Hi All.

I have just purchased this software and for the money it's brilliant. Used with 'Anydvd HD' i am able to play region 'A' titles with no problems. I can play blu-ray 3d titles perfect as well (using 3d vision).

Would like to add that i was getting the same error ("This output type is not supported on the current machine, please select a new one") and would always get it if i tried to go into 'settings'. There was no indication what was causing it. Well, i did manage to find out why it was being displayed. If your 3d vision drivers are switched off it will give this error. Just make sure you've enabled the drivers and you wont have any issues.

Having no demo for this software was a problem as i tried everything else and had problems playing region 'A' titles with the more expensive software (cyberlink) and corel windvd software played ok but i was not getting any sound output options for my x-fi card. All i had displayed was the SPDIF output. Absolutely no soundcard stereo options. This program was the last chance i had at playing imports and this software was the best.. and the cheapest

Recommended!

P.S One final thing... the Roxio Cineplayer has 'Real D' support whereas the other more expensive software doesn't (but being worked on as i understand).
post #23 of 24 Old 11-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Just downloaded Roxio Cineplayer 3D for blu-ray Ver 5.6.1. It will play regular DVD but will not play BR disks. Real disks or ISO. It does not even recognize that there is a BR disc in the BR drive.

"A Monsters Work is Never Done"
post #24 of 24 Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla View Post

Just downloaded Roxio Cineplayer 3D for blu-ray Ver 5.6.1. It will play regular DVD but will not play BR disks. Real disks or ISO. It does not even recognize that there is a BR disc in the BR drive.

There seems to be two different products: "Cineplayer with 3D" and "Cineplayer BD with 3D".

All links I can find on the Roxio site that mention the BD version take you to a web page that shows only the non-BD version.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page