Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 02-20-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Nvidia: "Most users cannot handle more than 50% of the Real Eye Separation."

In the replies, the seasoned 3D Vision users acknowledged that it takes time to build up higher tolerances.

"From my knowledge, people new to 3D are more prone to discomfort than experienced users."
"It does make sense though to set it a bit conservative for the masses"
"Once you practiced stereogaming for a while... you can really crank up the settings. Show this to a s-3d newcomer and he'll probably complain about eyestrain."
"I've got to say i'm a 50%'er over here. i can go higher but it tires my eyes after a while. I have a friend who cant go beyond 20% without experiencing headaches though!"

The average person seeing a 3D movie in theaters probably only sees a few per year. But perhaps 5-10 years from now that will have changed.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The full quote is: "When the screen is close to the user (PC scenario) most of the users cannot handle more than 50% of the Real Eye Separation." ....and i think that is wrong. I have had many people sit down at my monitor, new to 3D and shown them probably an average of about 45 minutes of 3D from difference games at full 3D depth and when asked if they experienced any pain, they all said no.

Im Libertine, I created that thread and it doesn't really say much if you read it because most users started referring to depth, not interocular distance, which varies depending on the monitor size. Keep this is mind when your reading that someone "is a 50%er". "Rendering wise 50% on a 23,6" screen is the same as 100% on a 47" screen...." Most users i would guess are using 22" monitors at this point.

Many Nvidia 3D pdfs i've noticed have acknowledgments to people in the MOVIE INDUSTRY. "Acknowledgements: Rod Bogart & Bob Whithill at Pixar". Pixar makes movies for kids, who are not only kids, but people with small interocular distances. Conservative with a side a careful.

Search for "monitorsize value", "projected screen size" and "monitor size hack" on that forum and you'll find a Titanic sized boatload of people trying to increase their depth.

That aside, the one or two users that did think the decision to use conservative default depth values had merit are stating their opinions amid a wirlwind of anti-3D sentiment on the net, based in part about discomfort they had.....after watching movies, not viewing video games.
post #63 of 65 Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Im Libertine, I created that thread and it doesn't really say much if you read it because most users started referring to depth, not interocular distance, which varies depending on the monitor size. Keep this is mind when your reading that someone "is a 50%er".

I stopped quoting posts that started referring to percentages the wrong way, except for the guy who gave a comparison between him and his friend who can only tolerate 2/5 as much depth as him, because it's still proof that different people have different tolerances.

Quote:

Many Nvidia 3D pdfs i've noticed have acknowledgments to people in the MOVIE INDUSTRY. "Acknowledgements: Rod Bogart & Bob Whithill at Pixar". Pixar makes movies for kids, who are not only kids, but people with small interocular distances. Conservative with a side a careful.

A mere speculative attempt to explain why they would say that about lower tolerances with the mainstream. Nor does that cover why other adults have reported different tolerances from person to person and from the early days of 3D experiences to weeks later and hundreds of hours later.

Quote:

Search for "monitorsize value", "projected screen size" and "monitor size hack" on that forum and you'll find a Titanic sized boatload of people trying to increase their depth.

When did I ever deny that people with high tolerances exist? Just because they can handle it doesn't mean the majority of the mainstream can. Get why films use more conservative 3D now? To cater to some of lower logical common denominators, not just the upper percentile.

Quote:

That aside, the one or two users that did think the decision to use conservative default depth values had merit are stating their opinions amid a wirlwind of anti-3D sentiment on the net, based in part about discomfort they had.....after watching movies, not viewing video games.

edit: just caught this, but... "one or two?" I gave four examples. And they didn't sound clueless at all. All the examples I used sounded confident and knowledgeable of the differences in casual 3D viewers' eyes.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #64 of 65 Old 02-21-2012, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only issue i have with 3d as of now is the focus point. Its not on everything i watch, mainly the documentaries, watched Transformers last night with no issue at all.

Let me explain what i mean. In a 2d movie, if i want to look around on the screen, there is nothing keeping me from doing so. If the focus point is in the foreground, i can still look around and see the background. In a 3d movie, due to the depth, and the fact that the cameras focus almost MAKES you look at what it wants you to, i find myself getting frustrated that i simply cannot get certain things to focus.

This may well be a convergence issue, but to me its just frustrating, i like seeing popout, but it distracts me when the popout isnt what were focusing on in the movie, then i try to look at it and cannot because it isnt in focus.

Then again, this may just be my ADD talking

Shawn
post #65 of 65 Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
I demoed 3d for the first time a few years back at a local dealer. It was on a 42" screen. I did get a slight headache. I tried it a few more times and found it caused slight headaches/vertigo at times but not always. I have had a 3d pj for a few months now (active) and have not had any issues. I think it does take some getting used to for some people

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page