3D movie theater vs. home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to do a search, but I couldn't find the answer.

But anyways, I was wondering how come the 3D content in movie theaters has so much more "3D" than the actual tv sets. Like when I was watching Avatar 3D, the images would seem like its floating in the air right in front of me. While if I were to watch content on my 3D tv set, it would look nothing like that. If anything it just looks like the images in the background in deeper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkman23 View Post

But anyways, I was wondering how come the 3D content in movie theaters has so much more "3D" than the actual tv sets. Like when I was watching Avatar 3D, the images would seem like its floating in the air right in front of me. While if I were to watch content on my 3D tv set, it would look nothing like that. If anything it just looks like the images in the background in deeper?

The screen size that you have represents the theater screen so all objects of a scene are scaled down to space around your screen.
You've seen AVATAR the Giants in action and now at home you can see AVATAR the Barby Doll set play.
If you want to see the theater version on your home screen you need to use special clip-on glasses added on the top of your regular 3D glasses which change the scale of your home screen back to what you saw at the theaters.

Mathew Orman
post #3 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkman23 View Post

Are you sure that you are playing a full 3D Blu-Ray disk on your your 3D blu-ray player at home and not a 2D Blu-ray disk and then using the 2D-Faux3d mode available on your 3D TV?
post #4 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You can get popout from a 24-inch monitor, if the content calls for something to break through the stereo window. The problem is you're watching a movie that doesn't have a lot of popout in the first place. You may be mis-remembering Avatar in theaters. I saw Avatar 3 times and there was hardly any, but a few very brief and subtle instances that didn't try too hard to call attention to themselves. Try the scene where Jake first steps into his avatar and is running in slowmotion and the dirt is kicking up behind his feet. Or when he's in the fight with the dogs and he's waving a spear around. Or when
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Colonel Quaritch gets shot with arrows.

Also try My Bloody Valentine. From what I've seen it has plenty of pop-out. You can also watch the Pirates 4 trailer, which you can find on Youtube. There will be plenty of swords coming out of the screen in that movie.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #5 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM

I agree with dunkman there just isnt as much oomph on home tvs. When your watching a 3d movie at a theater its all around you and in your face. I have a 60 inch mits and have alot of 3d movies and its just not the same experience.
post #6 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

While I would agree that the 3D experience is not as in your face at home, the detail and PQ with blu ray 3D is breathtaking and beyond anything seen in a theater.
post #7 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Since I learned about the "roundness" factor in this very forum, I am convinced that it is the actual reason for what seems to me a substantial number of complaints like this one; especially when comparing between my 50" screen at 6 ft and the 100" at 12 ft - at the same ratio, the larger screen gives much better 3d effect.
post #8 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet2233 View Post
I agree with dunkman there just isnt as much oomph on home tvs. When your watching a 3d movie at a theater its all around you and in your face. I have a 60 inch mits and have alot of 3d movies and its just not the same experience.
I disagree entirely. Avatar was all about depth, not things popping out of the screen and most modern 3D movies favour depth over gimmicky "in your face" 3D nonsense too.

As for the "all around you" comment, I have never experienced anything like that in any 3D movie I have seen at a theatre.
post #9 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post
Are you sure that you are playing a full 3D Blu-Ray disk on your your 3D blu-ray player at home and not a 2D Blu-ray disk and then using the 2D-Faux3d mode available on your 3D TV?

Nope , Avatar 3d Bluray, received from purchasing a Panasonic 3D tv set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
You can get popout from a 24-inch monitor, if the content calls for something to break through the stereo window. The problem is you're watching a movie that doesn't have a lot of popout in the first place. You may be mis-remembering Avatar in theaters. I saw Avatar 3 times and there was hardly any, but a few very brief and subtle instances that didn't try too hard to call attention to themselves. Try the scene where Jake first steps into his avatar and is running in slowmotion and the dirt is kicking up behind his feet. Or when he's in the fight with the dogs and he's waving a spear around. Or when
Spoiler  
Colonel Quaritch gets shot with arrows.

Also try My Bloody Valentine. From what I've seen it has plenty of pop-out. You can also watch the Pirates 4 trailer, which you can find on Youtube. There will be plenty of swords coming out of the screen in that movie.
There was a few scenes i remember in the theater, like when Jake was in the forrest and those flying white flowers were all around. Also the TV screens in the computer rooms. But yea. some has popout, but i dont see any in my 3d set. It just seems like on the TV screen, the background of the movie is pushed in. Almost feels like Im watching a puppet show.

I dont know, I guess I expected too much from 3d. Also these "Passive" cheap glasses from the theater to me seems to produces a better "3D image" than the Active Shutter.
post #10 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I recall the white floaty things to be seemingly floating just in front of the screen along with some insects but I think if you account for scale, you may well find that this "in front" effect amounts to just a few inches on a 50" screen hence the apparent disparity with the theatre presentation.
post #11 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Have you tried the "reverse 3D setting on the set?

I've asked this same basic question regarding Polar Express in particular. I have not seen the Avatar 3D BR, but I DO remember from seeing in the theater that there was NOT much pop out. I recall the white floaty-things, the arrows and the golf ball. That's about it. Plenty of depth from what I recall, not much pop out.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #12 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Kinda like watching a fish tank. Buy some blue fish and some jellyfish and you're all set.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sit closer to your tine screen? Much closer, even closer still.
post #14 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post

Kinda like watching a fish tank. Buy some blue fish and some jellyfish and you're all set.

Exactly,
all action and scene objects are scaled down to fit into the fish tank size box.
At least with fish tank you see fish in real size unlike AVATAR where all looks like miniature Toys-Are-Us display case.
Imagine a 3D horror movie where the scary character is of the size of Barby doll.
Simply put, the 3D effect at home just kills the intentions of movie director and every story is just plain funny due to miniaturization.

The only remedy for that are the special glasses add-ons or player with floating window capabilities.

Mathew Orman
post #15 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

Exactly,
all action and scene objects are scaled down to fit into the fish tank size box.
At least with fish tank you see fish in real size unlike AVATAR where all looks like miniature Toys-Are-Us display case.
Imagine a 3D horror movie where the scary character is of the size of Barby doll.
Simply put, the 3D effect at home just kills the intentions of movie director and every story is just plain funny due to miniaturization.

The only remedy for that are the special glasses add-ons or player with floating window capabilities.

Mathew Orman

Window adjustments can push things into the distance so that it explains why they're smaller than life.

My Videos

post #16 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Window adjustments can push things into the distance so that it explains why they're smaller than life.

You are wrong.
They are smaller becasue of the distance of convergence point.
If you TV has stereo window adjustment then you can push the scene back to where the movie theater screen was.
It is not the same as floating window so you will in the effect get narrower horizontal view as both left and right side will be cropped out in due process.

Simply put pushing the scene will make it appear larger and pulling will make it smaller or miniaturized.

Mathew Orman
post #17 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM

im using a 136" screen with projector and its better than the cinema. the size of the screen makes a big difference. also if using a pc the software makes a big difference also. stereoscopic player is way better than any other players but unfortunately blurays need to be converted to play on it.
post #18 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 AM

I was watching Avatar at Best Buy last week, and the fish tank was the first impression I had, and it just won't go away. It isn't as if I am looking to bash 3D either, I was all set to buy one based on other demos, and the fact that the best sets are all 3D now anyway. I'll end up with one I'm sure, but it really did look kind of silly on even a largish 55" set at a fairly close range. Your eyes/brain still process all this as small, it is all still relative to the space between your eyes. There could be some processing that'll fool the brain into thinking this is big but I haven't seen a demo of that.

Maybe I need to rethink the projector idea. I gave up on it a number of years ago as just being impractical for my house. My kids want to just turn the set on and watch, with sound coming from the set itself. I have a space though where it would work, and the kids are older now. Besides they retreat into their caves when they're in the house and only appear at feeding time.
post #19 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post

I was watching Avatar at Best Buy last week, and the fish tank was the first impression I had, and it just won't go away. It isn't as if I am looking to bash 3D either, I was all set to buy one based on other demos, and the fact that the best sets are all 3D now anyway. I'll end up with one I'm sure, but it really did look kind of silly on even a largish 55" set at a fairly close range.

The further away you are, the deeper the 3D will be.

My Videos

post #20 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Avatar was better in 3d for me on my 10'x5' screen using a acer h5360. I think you guys with 3d tvs are getting boned as 3d needs a lot of size to make it really work
post #21 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post

Avatar was better in 3d for me on my 10'x5' screen using a acer h5360. I think you guys with 3d tvs are getting boned as 3d needs a lot of size to make it really work

Exactly

I also have the acer h5360 and a 125" elite screen and there is TONS of pop out in Avatar, much much more then what I saw at our local 6 stories tall Imax. 3D screams for a BIG screen.

OP, I can personal tell you that 3d is much much better at home when your projecting on a huge screen. Avatar on my 125" screen you can see all the light bugs, dragon flies, grass, water, tree branches, ashes, dust, particles and yes the famous white spirit floaty things floating right before your eyes and then into the screen (which btw is absolutely amazing)!
post #22 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

I disagree entirely. Avatar was all about depth, not things popping out of the screen and most modern 3D movies favour depth over gimmicky "in your face" 3D nonsense too.

As for the "all around you" comment, I have never experienced anything like that in any 3D movie I have seen at a theatre.

We must have watched different Avatars at the theater then. If I knew my tv wouldnt pop out in my face I wouldnt have bought it. I bought it for the "gimicky" nonsense you speak off. I could care less about depth. Maybe you should just smoke less crack next time you watch a movie at the theaters cbcdesign.
post #23 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are wrong.
They are smaller becasue of the distance of convergence point.
If you TV has stereo window adjustment then you can push the scene back to where the movie theater screen was.
It is not the same as floating window so you will in the effect get narrower horizontal view as both left and right side will be cropped out in due process.

Simply put pushing the scene will make it appear larger and pulling will make it smaller or miniaturized.

Mathew Orman

Um, the bolded is precisely what I said: adjusting the window so content is further away relative to the plane the screen is on would improve the sense of scale.

My Videos

post #24 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

There's almost no pop-out in the entire movie, and when there is, it's subtle. I've seen the movie 3 times in theaters, I should know.

There are, by artistic design, only a few instances of popout in the movie. Arrows sticking out of Quaritch's chest, floating jellyfish, and I can only think of a few other shots, thinly scattered throughout the movie.

Avatar, as well as any 3D that wants to be taken seriously, is more about what occurs past the window (in positive parallax) than things poking you in the eye (negative parallax).

Avatar is not the movie to demo popout. For that, try My Bloody Valentine, Alice in Wonderland, Piranha 3D, Saw 3D.

My Videos

post #25 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Um, the bolded is precisely what I said: adjusting the window so content is further away relative to the plane the screen is on would improve the sense of scale.

No,
here is what you precisely said:

Mathew Orman
post #26 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM

I noticed during Avatar that when they did their video diaries the text didn't jump out as much as in the theater. I found though, that the depth on everything else was the same and the PQ was obviously far better on LED.
post #27 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still waiting for my Avatar disk but my experience has been that my home theater is vastly better than the public theater.

It could just be a matter of poor implementation at my local theater(I live in a somewhat rural area). The less than optimal seating position I always end up with. Not to mention the overused, smudged and scratched glasses they provide. I always bring a microfiber cloth with me.
post #28 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No,
here is what you precisely said:

Mathew Orman

Window adjustments (3D viewpoint option available on some TV's) can be done to push things into the distance to correct the sense of scale of the onscreen images that would otherwise seem smaller than life.

Please point out how I'm wrong. But this was likely a matter of reading or writing comprehension.

My Videos

post #29 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:

The further away you are, the deeper the 3D will be.

You are wrong here as well.
It was explained in another thread which was about stereo roundness.

Mathew Orman
post #30 of 49 Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Window adjustments (3D viewpoint option available on some TV's) can be done to push things into the distance to correct the sense of scale of the onscreen images that would otherwise seem smaller than life.

Please point out how I'm wrong. But this was likely a matter of reading or writing comprehension.

Do I need to put it in double bold?

Mathew Orman
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page