3D viewing thru non-3D ready receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a panasonic 3d blu-ray player with a single hdmi output and was concerned that my Onkyo TX-SR805 (non-3D ready) receiver would not work with the 3d programming. This was based on what I have read about BD players with dual hdmi outputs for use with older non 3d compliant receivers. So when I attempt to play a 3d movie I expect it to fail and I would then just run the hdmi cable directly to the tv........but it works fine going thru the receiver. I have had no issues with the 3d running thru the receiver via my existing hdmi cables. What kind of issues can show up with non-3d ready receivers viewing 3d content? Has anyone else run 3d thru non 3d ready receivers ? If so any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM

I don't have any additional information but I do have the onkyo tx-sr805 and that is great to know it can do that. Thanks!
post #3 of 45 Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms89 View Post
I recently purchased a panasonic 3d blu-ray player and was concerned that my Onkyo TX-SR805 (non-3D ready) receiver would not work with the 3d programming. This was based on what I have read with BD players with dual hdmi outputs for use with older non 3d compliant receivers. So when I attempt to play a 3d movie I expect it to fail and I would then just run the hdmi cable directly to the tv........but it works fine going thru the receiver. I have had no issues with the 3d running thru the receiver via my existing hdmi cables. What kind of issues can show up with non-3d ready receivers viewing 3d content? Has anyone else run 3d thru non 3d ready receivers ? If so any issues?
Most likely, issues would be a failure to pass the 3d signal, because receiver wouldn't know how to handle the 3d EDID info & it wouldn't be passed on. The product page for the Onkyo says it's an "HDMI V1.3 repeater", so perhaps the engineers were forward-thinking enough (or lazy enough) to let the repeater pass on *any* hdmi info, even the stuff it didn't recognize.

Eitehr way, sounds like you lucked out... congrats!
post #4 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another possible issue could be with the high resolution audio formats sent through HDMI. I read that they moved the audio signal in HDMI 1.4, and older receivers might not be able to find and use the audio when playing 3D Blu-Rays.

If you send the audio to your receiver through a separate cable, such as optical, then that would not be an issue.
post #5 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 PM

The same thing is true of my Onkyo TX-SR505. I was scared to death that it would not work and my wife would not allow me to buy a new receiver for just to get 3D. I, just as a test, ran my Mitsubishi converter through the SR505 with the signal originating with my PS3 and everything works wonderfully.

I think the deal is that the HDMI is pass through only. I don't think the receiver does anything with a HDMI signal but send it to the television without any interference so in that way, its like just sending the signal straight to the TV because the receiver simply passes the signal straight through without doing anything at all to the video signal.

This is just my theory, but its as good as any I have heard.
post #6 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Wow, I never even tried to run it through my Onkyo 607 (1.3) because I didn't think it'd work. Just hooked up to the Mits adapter (3DA1) then directly to the TV and toslink to the Onkyo for audio. Have to give it a try when I get time and report back. I'll be mad at you guys if it doesn't work!

Ed
post #7 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Just to clarify:

@toms89 - did you use just the one hdmi setup or the dual hdmi setup?

@tflem777 - did you run the PS3 to a converter first and then to the AVR or did you run the PS3 straight to the AVR?

@old corps - can't wait for your report!

I'm very curious about all this. I don't have a 3D tv yet but it's definitely nice to know that I wouldn't have to buy a new AVR if I do.
Realistically it could change a lot of (Onkyo owners) minds to add 3D to their setup if they know they don't have to buy a new AVR.
post #8 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM

I have the PS3 running directly to the Mitsubishi converter and the converter connected to the Onkyo and then the Onkyo into my Mitsubishi 82-837. 3D is great and the picture is clear as a bell.

Who needs LCD or Plasma? DLP offers an equal picture, larger screen for a cheaper price, and they are all ready for 3D even if you need a converter. In fact the newest models do not even need the converter.
post #9 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflem777 View Post

I have the PS3 running directly to the Mitsubishi converter and the converter connected to the Onkyo and then the Onkyo into my Mitsubishi 82-837. 3D is great and the picture is clear as a bell.

Who needs LCD or Plasma? DLP offers an equal picture, larger screen for a cheaper price, and they are all ready for 3D even if you need a converter. In fact the newest models do not even need the converter.

Okay, I think I understand now, the converter was throwing me for a loop. The converter is for the TV, not for the Onkyo. Thanks. I've recently seen the Mits DLP and they definitely look great, I was really impressed. Right now I have a Panasonic PT-AE2000 projector system and have been waiting to see if Panasonic will put out a 3D projector sometime soon. I have the Onkyo 805 and the PS3 so this new information is encouraging. Thanks again.
post #10 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

DAK4

Single hdmi cable for both audio and video... works perfectly with no issues so far.
post #11 of 45 Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:

DAK4

Single hdmi cable for both audio and video... works perfectly with no issues so far.

Excellent, Thanks!
post #12 of 45 Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:

I recently purchased a panasonic 3d blu-ray player with a single hdmi output and was concerned that my Onkyo TX-SR805 (non-3D ready) receiver would not work with the 3d programming. This was based on what I have read about BD players with dual hdmi outputs for use with older non 3d compliant receivers. So when I attempt to play a 3d movie I expect it to fail and I would then just run the hdmi cable directly to the tv........but it works fine going thru the receiver. I have had no issues with the 3d running thru the receiver via my existing hdmi cables. What kind of issues can show up with non-3d ready receivers viewing 3d content? Has anyone else run 3d thru non 3d ready receivers ? If so any issues?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have the exact same receiver and a ps3. As soon as the 3d content is to be displayed, I get a "No Signal" on my TV. I understand my receiver is not 3D ready, but as other have had success with this exact receiver and 3D signals, I'm trying to determine what I am doing differently to cause this. I checked the menu and saw no option for pass through and I disabled everything that I thought could be causing the receiver to process the video signal, but to no avail. Any suggestions? I'm stumped and frustrated.
post #13 of 45 Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2k6 View Post

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have the exact same receiver and a ps3. As soon as the 3d content is to be displayed, I get a "No Signal" on my TV. I understand my receiver is not 3D ready, but as other have had success with this exact receiver and 3D signals, I'm trying to determine what I am doing differently to cause this. I checked the menu and saw no option for pass through and I disabled everything that I thought could be causing the receiver to process the video signal, but to no avail. Any suggestions? I'm stumped and frustrated.

Most Onkyos allow you to bypass the video processing altogether using the following procedure outlined in the manual:

Quote:

To by-pass video upconversion in the AV receiver, simultaneously press the VCR/DVR and RETURN on the AV receiver. While continuing to hold down the VCR/DVR, press RETURN to toggle until Skip appears on the display. Release both buttons.

Try that and see if it works. To use the video upconversion again, repeat the above process until Use appears on the display and release the buttons.
post #14 of 45 Old 09-05-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is still occurring, even with 'HDMI Through' now being displayed on the front panel. And in this mode, it seems to only output stereo sound, so I don't think this is the resolution I'm looking for.

PS3
Onkyo TX-SR805
LG LW5300

I'm wondering if the difference here is perhaps the passive 3D technology of the LG Telivision?
post #15 of 45 Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is still occurring, even with 'HDMI Through' now being displayed on the front panel. And in this mode, it seems to only output stereo sound, so I don't think this is the resolution I'm looking for.

PS3
Onkyo TX-SR805
LG LW5300

I'm wondering if the difference here is perhaps the passive 3D technology of the LG Telivision?

Shouldn't have anything to do with it... 3d tech at the display would have to handle the same 3d spec as every other display.

If your LG has 2d-3d conversion, make sure that's off. Also, run through the stup & display detection on the ps3, make sure it knows it's "talking" to a display that can handle the 3d signal. You may need to temporarily take the receiver out of the chain for this.
post #16 of 45 Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

...You may need to temporarily take the receiver out of the chain for this.

Already done. the PS3 knows it's talking to a 3D display. Last night when I was running into problems initially, I bypassed it and configured the PS3 direct to the TV.
post #17 of 45 Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can also confirm with Toms89 that my 805 seems to pass through the 3d content from a Panasonic 210 3d BD player. I have my 3D Blue ray player directly connected into the 805 hdmi 2 input port, the output feeds a monoprice splitter which feeds a Sony HX800 3dtv and infocus projector. I ran a checkerboard test pattern as generated by the player and noticed the 3d pattern.

As to the audio, i was watching star wars and noticed my DTS Master HD light up for the first time. I should say that was the text message upon the receiver. So the receiver handles all audio formats.

I suspect that the receiver must have a passive switch for the hdmi out feed and not use any active HDMI buffers/switch ICs to process the HD.
post #18 of 45 Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
This is very interesting! I have a 905 and assumed that if I got a 3D set, it wouldn't work because the receiver only has HDMI 1.3. Sounds like there's a decent chance that I won't have to upgrade to a new receiver, switch, video processor, or whatever. That'd be nice!
post #19 of 45 Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

PS3
Onkyo TX-SR805
LG LW5300

"Through" isn't what you want. Reread thebard's post #13. You have to set the receiver to bypass video processing, because the built-in Reon processor doesn't support the 3D signal (it's likely at 120 Hz, and the Reon datasheet indicates 120Hz output isn't supported). With processing set to "Through", the Reon is still managing the output, even though it isn't doing any processing such as resolution changes or noise reduction, and the no-120 Hz output limitation applies. Unfortunately, turning processing off also means you lose the Onkyo's GUI.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #20 of 45 Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 AM

Liked: 14
My Pioneer VSX-23TXH doesn't even give you the option of 'converting' or doing anything to video coming from HDMI, so I wonder if that will pass a 3D signal. Has anyone tried it with that receiver? (Also hoping an inexpensive way to watch 3D on a non-3D display comes along soon!)
post #21 of 45 Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

(Also hoping an inexpensive way to watch 3D on a non-3D display comes along soon!)

http://3d-vip.com/
3D Displayer - VIP Product
post #22 of 45 Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM

I have the Onkyo TX-SR705 and I can not get this to work. Holding down VCR/DVR and pressing Return does nothing. I've searched the forums and found the "hidden menu" for the Onkyo receivers but I don't see any option that would help.

The Onkyo manual says the HDMI 1.3 is passthrough and if you're going from HDMI IN to HDMI OUT that the video signal is passed through uninterupted. From my limited knowledge of things, I'd imagine that I should get 3D picture even going through the receiver.

I've rearranged my components so that I have all the video going directly to the TV while using an optical cable for each to the receiver. It's not horrible but it would be nice to use the receiver for everything (video included).

At the end of this novel... my ultimate question is "why doesn't it work?".

Thanks!
post #23 of 45 Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtoCorleone View Post

I have the Onkyo TX-SR705 and I can not get this to work. Holding down VCR/DVR and pressing Return does nothing. I've searched the forums and found the "hidden menu" for the Onkyo receivers but I don't see any option that would help.

The Onkyo manual says the HDMI 1.3 is passthrough and if you're going from HDMI IN to HDMI OUT that the video signal is passed through uninterupted. From my limited knowledge of things, I'd imagine that I should get 3D picture even going through the receiver.

I've rearranged my components so that I have all the video going directly to the TV while using an optical cable for each to the receiver. It's not horrible but it would be nice to use the receiver for everything (video included).

At the end of this novel... my ultimate question is "why doesn't it work?".

Thanks!

The 705 doesn't have a Reon video processor chip, so the Onkyo hidden menu doesn't help. My 705 has been retired to its box in my garage since I got a 3007, but I'd be willing to bet that its HDMI passthrough only works for 1.3 and below signals. True 1.4/3D signals are sent at 120 Hz, and the 705's circuitry likely doesn't support that.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #24 of 45 Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 AM

OK. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Looks like it's time to shop for a new receiver. I might wait until those 300MHz HDMI 1.4 chips come out next year to hopefully future proof myself as much as possible.

Victorville huh? I grew up in Apple Valley.

Thanks again for the detailed response
post #25 of 45 Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtoCorleone View Post

OK. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Looks like it's time to shop for a new receiver. I might wait until those 300MHz HDMI 1.4 chips come out next year to hopefully future proof myself as much as possible.

Victorville huh? I grew up in Apple Valley.

Thanks again for the detailed response

You're welcome. You could probably put off the hunt for a new receiver for a while yet, as the 705 works just fine with non-3D Blu-Rays, unless most of your viewing is 3D media. However, a new receiver is always nice to have!

I retired in VV back in '92 when the old George AFB closed. Except for 2 1/2 years overseas in the mid '80s, I've been here since December 1980.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #26 of 45 Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I also tried the bypass video processing trick with my 905 using the front panel buttons, and it didn't display anything or have any effect, other than switching to the VCR input. I wonder if that bypass trick is only for newer models; my 905 manual doesn't mention it at all.

You *can* however turn off the GUI overlay that displays source and volume in the menu, so I wonder if that in conjunction with setting the output to "through" would work. Under I think "Misc" in the menu is an option called Display Immediate, which defaults to ON. I don't know why it's called that, but turning it off seems to disable the on-screen display (the overlays). I don't have a 3D display yet to try it, but if the 805 has that same option, it might be something to try.
post #27 of 45 Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Most Onkyos allow you to bypass the video processing altogether using the following procedure outlined in the manual:

Try that and see if it works. To use the video upconversion again, repeat the above process until Use appears on the display and release the buttons.

Does anyone have updates to this?? I'm trying to get to the menu to "skip" the up conversion and the steps mentioned above don't seem to work
post #28 of 45 Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 PM

one other question, I can't seem to find any info....does the 805 support ARC??
post #29 of 45 Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 AM

Liked: 14
Just wondering if anyone's gotten 3D to work with any other receivers that aren't "3D ready". I ordered an Oppo player with 2 HDMI outputs, so if my receiver won't pass the 3D signal I'll be able to use the 2nd output to feed both the receiver and TV at the same time.
post #30 of 45 Old 06-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 11
I can't seem to get to the pass through menu on my 805 either. The owners manual says this is only available for the 875.... What am I missing?

Trying to get 3d from my ps3 to my Epson 5010....
Reply 3D Tech Talk