Difference between Optoma ZD101 and Viewsonic PGD-150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there. The conversation is probably moving on a little and everyone will soon be talking about the rainbow effect on the new PGD-250 model however, I have a BenQ W600 projector and I want to see DLP Link in action.

I dont want this to just be another daily post of which is the best glasses so I will keep my question specific.
Looking at the Optoma ZD101 and the Viewsonic PGD-150 they both look the same. They both look like they suffer from the brittle arm issue, and look like they are made of the same components.

A major difference is the Optoma looks to be quite a bit cheaper, but I have heard that they both use a different DLP Link reciever.
Does anyone know if this is true or are they in fact the same internals and glasses throughout just with a different branding?

Knowing what people say with DLP Link losing Sync (although tests on my projector seem thin on the ground) I want to make sure I dont go for cheapos at the sacrifice of losing sync.

Cheers,

djlins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM

I have had my hd66 set up since xmas and have used it a ton for blu-rays and games through my htpc. I have never once lost sync with a pair of dlp link glasses while just sitting and watching a movie or playing a game. I honestly don't understand what is causing this problem for some people on here.

My wife sits next to me on the couch constantly on her laptop and it doesn't bother any of my glasses. I can have a light on in the room over no effect.

The only time my I have seen a loss of sync is when I am using a lighter while enjoying 3d or blowing tons of smoke out of my medical smoking device.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

heheh excellent.

My medical smoking device used to end up clogging my color wheel and making it whine after 12 months so I had to start taking the medicine outdoors.

Anyways.
When I was looking for a 3D proj I seem to remember that the HD66 was very similar to the BenQW600 in terms of technical spec, so if I was to assume my system may also work with the same glasses then what glasses do you use with yours?

Cheers,

L
post #4 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 05:50 AM

LOL, good to see everyone keeping up on they're meds.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM

I have 2 pairs of the ultra clears and one pair of last years viewsonics.

Like you I wasn't sure which glasses to buy when I first got my set up in Dec. At that time the viewsonics were sold out so I bought the ultraclears and had the viewsonics on backorder.

I was not let down by the ultraclears. When my viewsonics came in a few weeks later I contemplated returning them because I and the wife liked the UC's better mostly for comfort reasons. And they seem a bit more sturdy. I ended up keeping them just as a extra pair for company.

So don't be scared to get the UC's. The price to quality ratio is excellent. Really the only reason I see getting the viewsonics is if you are needing the L/R invert button. But honestly I have no problem switching the eyes if necessary on my PJ at the start of a movie.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I started with X102's which have had problems staying in sync. No problems with the Viewsonics I bought. They are more comfy and not as dark as the xpands. I haven't had any issues with rainbows from either brand. I have seen rainbows w/out glasses though, so I know what to look for.

I assume I'll need the emitter from the Mits starter kit with the UC's.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post

I started with X102's which have had problems staying in sync. No problems with the Viewsonics I bought. They are more comfy and not as dark as the xpands. I haven't had any issues with rainbows from either brand. I have seen rainbows w/out glasses though, so I know what to look for.

I assume I'll need the emitter from the Mits starter kit with the UC's.

Well not if you are using dlp link UC's.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just read in the other thread that they do indeed come in both flavors.

I had previously followed a link to the Samsung/Mits IR glasses and thought that was it.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlins View Post

Hi there. The conversation is probably moving on a little and everyone will soon be talking about the rainbow effect on the new PGD-250 model however, I have a BenQ W600 projector and I want to see DLP Link in action.

I dont want this to just be another daily post of which is the best glasses so I will keep my question specific.
Looking at the Optoma ZD101 and the Viewsonic PGD-150 they both look the same. They both look like they suffer from the brittle arm issue, and look like they are made of the same components.

A major difference is the Optoma looks to be quite a bit cheaper, but I have heard that they both use a different DLP Link reciever.
Does anyone know if this is true or are they in fact the same internals and glasses throughout just with a different branding?

Knowing what people say with DLP Link losing Sync (although tests on my projector seem thin on the ground) I want to make sure I dont go for cheapos at the sacrifice of losing sync.

Cheers,

djlins

I think the optomas and viewsonics are the same, they are definitely made in the same factory(at least that is what viewsonic told me) the polarity switch on the vs's is the only difference i know of, but be aware the glasses are miserable to actually wear. they squeeze your head something fierce and the arms have a tendency to fall off. i sent 2 pair of vs's back becuse of this and got some ultra clear dlp links. haven't had any sync issues, with indirect sunlight or overhead fluorescent. a moot point anyways, the 250s are out now, i would go that route.

ViZuNaRy

3D Blu-ray... Better than real life!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I had a pair of ViewSonic 150's for a heartbeat, god they sucked - I took a $10 hit just to get rid of them. Just to echo they squeezed my head like a clamp, and I hear the fragile arms break easily. I'd go for the UC glasses over them in a second, plus they are cheaper. It would be niceif the manufacturer would rotate the lenses on these to avoid the rainbow effect. Hopefully the newer 250's or the upcoming Optima ZD201s get it right.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have both the Optomas and the Viewsonics. I prefer the Viewsonics because that eye sync switch on the Viewsonics is really handy. And also, for what it is worth, when I had a little trouble maintaining sync with the Optomas (conflict with the NVidia emitter), the Viewsonics kept sync better. But I would be looking for another alternative unless the price for these glasses is cheap.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page