Glasses Buyers Guide - (Samsung DLP LED Legacy Sets) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 148 Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yup - you have to turn on 3D on your set when you want to watch 3D, there is no automatic switching feature built-in. Worse news, if you have an emitter for IR glasses it stays on even after you turn 3D off. You have to turn off the TV for the emitter to go off.

Which pair of Optomas do you have? I had the old Viewsonic PDG-150s and they are the same model as the Optoma ZD101s. UC's win across the board, except for color shifting when you move your head around while watching a show.

The UC's are lighter, more comfortable, and look nicer - plus the arms fold in for easy storage. They are also about half the price of the ZD101s.

Since both sets are DLP Link I believe both remove the red tint effectively. They also both have rainbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Yup - you have to turn on 3D on your set when you want to watch 3D, there is no automatic switching feature built-in. Worse news, if you have an emitter for IR glasses it stays on even after you turn 3D off. You have to turn off the TV for the emitter to go off.

Which pair of Optomas do you have? I had the old Viewsonic PDG-150s and they are the same model as the Optoma ZD101s. UC's win across the board, except for color shifting when you move your head around while watching a show.

The UC's are lighter, more comfortable, and look nicer - plus the arms fold in for easy storage. They are also about half the price of the ZD101s.

Since both sets are DLP Link I believe both remove the red tint effectively. They also both have rainbows.

Well, the ZD-101's are down to $70, as compared to the $50 (both prices shipped) I got the UC's for, so not quite twice as much. The Optoma's look like they may fit better over glasses, and I figure they may fit some faces better than the UC's and vice-versa, so I'm willing to pay the little bit extra on one or two pairs for some versatility in fit.

Bummer about the manual mode switching though. If I can make that a one-click operation that might make me finally go for a Harmony remote. I'll wait to make sure the glasses work, and that I think it's worthwhile first though.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #93 of 148 Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They cost me over $100 for the ViewSonics. Actually, the UC's fit very well over glasses. Optomas look big, but they are just clunky and heavy. I thought they were too tight and very uncomfortable as well. Let us know what you think.
post #94 of 148 Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They cost me over $100 for the ViewSonics. Actually, the UC's fit very well over glasses. Optomas look big, but they are just clunky and heavy. I thought they were too tight and very uncomfortable as well. Let us know what you think.

Man, now I'm really looking forward to trying them! If they just attached to my head with screws they'd be perfect!

post #95 of 148 Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trust me when I say that results may vary. I've seen people who love the ViewSonic/Optomas. Maybe I just have a huge head
post #96 of 148 Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Trust me when I say that results may vary. I've seen people who love the ViewSonic/Optomas. Maybe I just have a huge head
Okay, now I see where you're coming from. The Ultra Clears are so head and shoulders above the Optomas when it comes to comfort, it's not even close. PQ seems to be about the same. Even if the Optomas supplied a slightly greater picture, I'd probably have to go with the Ultra Clears as they're so much more comfortable. I suspect the Optomas were designed by a team member who hated 3D and wanted it to fail. I can't really think of any other explanation.

post #97 of 148 Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I prefer the ultra clear DLP Link glasses over the SSG1000s. The SSGs are a little heavy and uncomfortable, the blacks have a slight red tint still, and there is a minor rainbow effect on the right side of the screen. They do not color shift as bad as the UC glasses. The SSGs do sync pretty well in the day since they are IR, but given the choice I'd go with the DLP Link glasses with a piece of film over the lenses to fix the rainbow issue. Nothing beats having true blacks with the UC glasses, plus they are so much lighter and comfortable.
What kind of film over the lens are you talking about.
post #98 of 148 Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca121 View Post

What kind of film over the lens are you talking about.

All the details are right here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1316347

I use a clear 3M sheet of laminate, but it is the non-sticky part of a folder product:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch%C2%AE-S...812429&sr=8-12

The front sheet is clear and non-stick, that is the part I use.
post #99 of 148 Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 PM

I just sold my samsung 67A750 and bought a mitsubishi 73738 and im using my UC Dlp link glasses but am looking to get a pair or glasses that use an IR emitter to try and eliminate loss of sync... Which glasses do ya guys recommend? , do the Samsung Ssg-1000s work on my Mits? I'm trying to find a pair of glasses that already come with an emitter for a reasonable price... :/
post #100 of 148 Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvtanzio View Post

I just sold my samsung 67A750 and bought a mitsubishi 73738 and im using my UC Dlp link glasses but am looking to get a pair or glasses that use an IR emitter to try and eliminate loss of sync... Which glasses do ya guys recommend? , do the Samsung Ssg-1000s work on my Mits? I'm trying to find a pair of glasses that already come with an emitter for a reasonable price... :/

Here's a reasonable priced emitter.

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/3dtrformisa3.html

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #101 of 148 Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Samsung SSG-1000s should work with the Mitsubishi HDTV as l
long as you use the emitter that came with the glasses.
post #102 of 148 Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
From another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post

Andymckay, which Samsung glasses are you using that work with the 3D Heaven emitter?

The 3D Heaven emitter did not work with my Samsung branded SSG-2100AB (the type in the Shrek and HTTYD kits) glasses. 3D Heaven were able to reproduce this problem once I reported it, but it does apparently work with the Mitsubishi glasses, which is rather odd because the Mitsubishi and Samsung glasses are "identical" (as well as their own glasses of course)

They did refund my purchase and even let me keep the emitter they had sent me rather than having to send it back. They are looking into why it did not appear to work, and hope to correct the issue.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #103 of 148 Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

The Samsung SSG-1000s should work with the Mitsubishi HDTV as l
long as you use the emitter that came with the glasses.

Im trying to find glasses that come with an emitter that work on the Mits Dlp besides the 3D Heaven ones as I have them now and find them really bulky and uncomfortable... The only reason I wanted to know about the Samsung Ssg -1000 is because they already come with an emitter , but would really like the glasses That come in the Mitsubishi starter pack but I can't find them separately
post #104 of 148 Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:

If you do not have a red tint like nickels55 showed when you turn on 3D, then you probably don't want to go with DLP Link, as from what it seems, lacking the red tint means your DLP Link signal isn't at the strength it needs to be.
post #105 of 148 Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 AM

I have a set of the UC IR glasses with the Mits emitter. I have a Samsung HL-T6187S and like some users have noticed (though some the opposite), I don't have a red tint to my picture like what has been described.

What exactly are "rainbows" people speak of? I see a very discerning color gradient, almost like color banding. It's quite bad in Alice in Wonderland 3D. Is this rainbows?

I had this picture too when I tried the DLP-Link Viewsonics which didn't sync well.

So I wonder, if what I read is correct with the UC IR supposedly blocking DLP-Link flash, and also I think the Viewsonic did this too, perhaps it's Over-correcting?

Anyone with SSG2210-AB glasses who had DLP-Link flash issues, lacking a red tint with no glasses on? Did you see this banding I speak of? I ordered those glasses, hoping they wouldn't have the problem, because the UC IR glasses are too distracting and I want to replace them.
post #106 of 148 Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceuterpe View Post

If you do not have a red tint like nickels55 showed when you turn on 3D, then you probably don't want to go with DLP Link, as from what it seems, lacking the red tint means your DLP Link signal isn't at the strength it needs to be.

And for those who are wondering if they have a red tint or not, perhaps looking for a hint of red, or something. It's more like looking at a glass of merlot, then merely being a red tint. It's not just a little bit of reddish hue to the black, it's full-on merlot (meaning not as dark as a cab, which could be mistaken for black in a darker setting). By the way, the DLP link works great for me, and the Ultra Heaven (or whatever they're called) are far more comfortable than the Optomas with equal picture quality. Although 1 of my 3 pairs of Ultra Clears stopped working. I put in a fresh battery last night, and still when I hold down the white button to turn them on, I get three quick flashes and ... nothing. Other two still working fine. Since they're just sold through ebay, likely by a guy just getting a bulk order from China and reselling them, I don't expect any sort of customer service. They are cheap however, and the picture is outstanding.

post #107 of 148 Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What exactly are "rainbows" people speak of? I see a very discerning color gradient, almost like color banding. It's quite bad in Alice in Wonderland 3D. Is this rainbows?

This is the rainbow that I see. It is a band of colors always in the same spot on the TV - it is a few inches wide and goes from top to bottom. A test to see if we are on the same page is to tilt your head 45 degrees to the side, like tilt your head towards your shoulder. The color band should disappear.

The fix for this issue is discussed in another thread here. Put a thin transparent sheet on top of the glasses and the rainbow is gone.
post #108 of 148 Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:

This is the rainbow that I see. It is a band of colors always in the same spot on the TV - it is a few inches wide and goes from top to bottom. A test to see if we are on the same page is to tilt your head 45 degrees to the side, like tilt your head towards your shoulder. The color band should disappear.

The fix for this issue is discussed in another thread here. Put a thin transparent sheet on top of the glasses and the rainbow is gone.

It almost looked as if you were going to post a picture. Do you have an example of that?

I think what I'm seeing is actually called "ghosting"...
post #109 of 148 Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried to get a photo of it but didn't really succeed. It is hard to see through one 3D glasses lens using a camera. I can fake it with a photoshop:

*RAINBOW SIMULATED!

That is the rainbow visible with most 3D glasses. It is more subtle, but that gives you the idea. It is always in the same spot and about that size, but a lot lighter.
post #110 of 148 Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 AM

I landed up getting a pair of Rechargeable NXG technology Glasses with an Emitter , I was skeptical cause I had never heard of them but I found them both on Amazon for $130 shipped . Well one pair and the emitter was $65 and another pair was $55 but there incredible I have no complaints they never lose sync they come with a case ,charging cable , and a cleaning cloth & they are really comfortable not bulky like the 3D Heaven UC glasses ... I'd highly recommend them , check em out.
post #111 of 148 Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
The NXG technology Glasses are the same as NV1 or NV2's from 3DTVcorp/3Dmagic & other company's such as 3DActive (avs advertiser) etc etc.

I Think i need to decided who deserves my money most when ordering these types of models.
Maybe i should be looking at ebay.china.com

lots of distri's/oem's with the same models going around.

And 3Dtvcorp seems to be the only one putting thier own development/customizations to them (universal).

sorry - if this post seems negative, it is not intended to be.
post #112 of 148 Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM

wow this is all so confusing now. Everybody is recommending pretty much different pairs of glasses with no one being a clear favorite. I was set on getting these from dimensional optics

http://www.amazon.com/3ACTIVE-Glasse...0KYVFPY6JN0Q8J

but now everbody is say the UC DLP LINK work great, but you can only see it in very low light settings...BLAHHH!!! and then someone mentions the ssg1000 which i can get locally with emitter for about $50, but other people are saying you see a red tint....UGH! PLus I don't even know if I would be able to use other glasses like the Dimensional Optics with the samsung emitter...Yikes! HELP HELP...
post #113 of 148 Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I tried to get a photo of it but didn't really succeed. It is hard to see through one 3D glasses lens using a camera. I can fake it with a photoshop:

*RAINBOW SIMULATED!

That is the rainbow visible with most 3D glasses. It is more subtle, but that gives you the idea. It is always in the same spot and about that size, but a lot lighter.

So the rainbow has to be a straight and vertical, or it's not a rainbow?
post #114 of 148 Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jesmer - I'd almost sell ya my SSG1000s. Not sure why I have em still, as I don't like them? The emitter for the SSG1000s is not compatible with most other glasses (they did work with my Model U glasses from 3DTVcorp). Also, my universal emitter didn't work for the SSG1000s, I had to use their emitter. The UC DLP Link glasses work in well lit rooms. I just had to put a small piece of black tape over the glasses sensor to cut down on the amount of light that reaches it. Does your set go red when you hit the 3D mode button? Most IR glasses do not remove that tint, only DLP Link glasses do. The ones in your link look like re-branded Samsung SSG-2000s.

hceuterpe - I am just describing the "rainbow" that I see on my set with most 3D glasses. If you see something else I don't know what it is???
post #115 of 148 Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmer View Post

wow this is all so confusing now. Everybody is recommending pretty much different pairs of glasses with no one being a clear favorite. I was set on getting these from dimensional optics

but now everbody is say the UC DLP LINK work great, but you can only see it in very low light settings...BLAHHH!!! and then someone mentions the ssg1000 which i can get locally with emitter for about $50, but other people are saying you see a red tint....UGH! PLus I don't even know if I would be able to use other glasses like the Dimensional Optics with the samsung emitter...Yikes! HELP HELP...

You think that's bad? Even on the same model Samsung DLP, some TVs work great with DLP-Link and terrible with IR, and some work great with IR and terrible with DLP.

Before you even start looking for glasses, you should check to see if your TV is one way or the other.
post #116 of 148 Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You don't need low light settings for the UC DLP-link glasses. Only if I have a bright overhead light (which glares in my eyes and I never leave on for TV viewing anyway) that's situated between the seating area and the TV, does it interfere with the UC DLP-link glasses. With normal ambient daylight, or a light on behind the seating area, there was no problem. If you have sunlight glaring right at your eyes while watching, that could also present a problem, but that would be a glaring issue anyway.

Also my report of one of my sets of UC DLP-link glasses ceasing to function was in error. It was user error, of holding down the "on" button too long and I was turning them off.

post #117 of 148 Old 09-23-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking View Post

The NXG technology Glasses are the same as NV1 or NV2's from 3DTVcorp/3Dmagic & other company's such as 3DActive (avs advertiser) etc etc.

I Think i need to decided who deserves my money most when ordering these types of models.
Maybe i should be looking at ebay.china.com

lots of distri's/oem's with the same models going around.

And 3Dtvcorp seems to be the only one putting thier own development/customizations to them (universal).

sorry - if this post seems negative, it is not intended to be.

Hey it's your choice I was only recommending them , I've seem similar ones by 3D corp but read all good reviews on the NXG glasses so I pick them up ...
post #118 of 148 Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:

If I can put in my input I'd stay away from the UC DLP link glasses , they very bulky and fall off your face , if you look away they will lose sync and as for lighting the electrical tape trick does help as nickels described but doesn't work completely so be prepared to have a pretty dark room when your using 3D ... I sold my pair of UC DLP Link glasses and can't be happier with my NXG IR Glasses
post #119 of 148 Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:

It almost looked as if you were going to post a picture. Do you have an example of that?

I think what I'm seeing is actually called "ghosting"...

I got my SSG2100AB glasses. I now know what you refer to as rainbows. It's not really bad with these, but it's not what I saw before. It must have been ghosting before. However, the UC IR glasses for those who can't get DLP-Link to sync on Samsung TV should not get them, as I think the reason why it looked so off, is that it filters out what was actually not there (link signal).

So, what other glasses have been confirmed that do NOT block DLP-Link signal? I know this sounds backwards, but it makes sense that since my TV (and many others) didn't get DLP-Link to work, that there seems as though there's no DLP Link to block.

Also the Samsung glasses do have a a reflection pattern in the lenses. For me, it's now:
NXG NX-3DG, Samsung SSG-2200AR, Xpand 103 left to try..
post #120 of 148 Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If there is no DLP Link to block then your set shouldn't have a distinct tint to it in 3D mode. If that is the case IR glasses should work fine, as the non-black blacks are my biggest issue with them.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page