Glasses Buyers Guide - (Samsung DLP LED Legacy Sets) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 148 Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Due to the fact that different TV set technology affects the results of 3d glasses, this is a spreadsheet I created for people using Samsung LED DLP sets such as the HLT-6187s, 61A750, 67A750, and so on.

Updated 3-28-2011 - added BenQ and X-force glasses:
http://www.johnkalnin.com/3d/3d-shutter-glasses.htm

Here is a spreadsheet of the "main" glasses available at the moment. I am sure I missed a bunch, so I am asking for any feedback from users with these 3D Ready sets and their feedback for their glasses. So far I complied reviews from here, a few other forums, amazon, and general google research.

I encourage others to take this spreadsheet and adjust it for their make/model TVs. Samsung legacy DLP's have their own issues such as DLP Link that cannot be turned off and reddish blacks in 3D mode. This is why this spreadsheet is dedicated to this particular model of 3D ready HDTVs.

Thanks for any feedback, reviews, or anything useful I can add to make this the ultimate buyers guide for us Samsung Legacy DLP LED owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Liked: 10
Great effort!

Just to give you another data point - I tried out SSG-2200AB glasses from the Mitsubishi 3D kit and the red tint in the blacks was very very noticeable.

To me, it was a bigger issues than any rainbows from UC DLP glasses.

Also, I recall a post about UC IR glasses that said that they blocked the DLP flash signal, and as a result had great blacks with no sync issues.
post #3 of 148 Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback, I'll update the page on Monday. I also have a pair of Viewsonic PDG 150's on their way, so I'll have a better hands on review next week. They were around $50 used so I figured why not.

Two questions I'd love answered:
1. Do the UC IR Glasses really block the DLP Link signal and have deep blacks? I can't find any posts where someone says this (and I've read a lot of posts!) If so the UC IR's may be the best affordable IR option for these sets.

2. Do Xpand 103s have rainbows on these sets? If they don't show rainbows then they may be the best DLP Link glasses for these sets. As far as I know only the CrystalEyes5 have no rainbows, but I have seen a lot of sync complaints with them.

I agree, the red tinted blacks are more noticeable and annoying with IR glasses then the subtle rainbows with DLP Link glasses.
post #4 of 148 Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 PM

I dont agree with the Samsung SSG-2200AB glasses not having sync issues
post #5 of 148 Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyro View Post

I dont agree with the Samsung SSG-2200AB glasses not having sync issues

Added to spreadsheet. I changed it from "NO" to "Possible". I'd like to get at least another opinion or two before I make it a definite YES.

The more info and feedback the better! Thanks to anyone who replies with additional info. This costs too much for me to test it all alone!
post #6 of 148 Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I disagree with CE5 having synch issues. They hold synch better than Optoma, Viewsonic, and UC DLP Link glasses for me personally. All work great in no light or low light conditions. Only CE5's hold link steady in bright conditions with my setup. My $.02
post #7 of 148 Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post

I disagree with CE5 having synch issues. They hold synch better than Optoma, Viewsonic, and UC DLP Link glasses for me personally. All work great in no light or low light conditions. Only CE5's hold link steady in bright conditions with my setup. My $.02

I would remove it, but I have seen at least two separate posts from users of the CE5's having sync issues with these legacy sets. Here is one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19647641

Quote:

Well, I was able to play around with the glasses for a while and unfortunately they kept losing sync with my Samsung LED DLP.

I also remember reading at least one other person with sync issues. I will change it from "YES" to "Possible" based on my "hands-off" research so far.

Recent edit - I changed the CE5 sync issues to probable. The CE4 and CE5 threads in this forum have shown enough evidence to suggest the CE5's have sync issues with Samsung DLP sets for a good percentage of users.
post #8 of 148 Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM

I don't agree with the Samsung SSG-2100AB having any sync issues with a proper emitter setup. Mine hold sync from 25 feet away in the next room over without issue. From 12 feet away, they hold sync even when I turn my head to talk to the person next to me.
post #9 of 148 Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen View Post

Great effort!

Just to give you another data point - I tried out SSG-2100AB glasses from the Mitsubishi 3D kit and the red tint in the blacks was very very noticeable.

To me, it was a bigger issues than any rainbows from UC DLP glasses.

Also, I recall a post about UC IR glasses that said that they blocked the DLP flash signal, and as a result had great blacks with no sync issues.

You are talking about while looking through the glasses? I've heard many people complain about this but I just don't see it on my LED engine Samsung, even though I'm looking for it. Maybe there's a very slight tint when not looking through the glasses, but who cares? When I'm looking through the glasses the blacks look normal, as do the rest of the colors. I keep wondering if this is a calibration issue, but can't get anybody who sees this to try my calibration settings and report back if it makes a difference.

Mode: Movie
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 44
Sharp: 20
Color: 45
Tint: G49/R51
Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Auto
DNIE: off
Active Color: off
Color Gamut: Normal

Detailed Settings Menu:
Black adjust: off
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Gamma: 0
White Balance: 0
Edge Enhancement: off
post #10 of 148 Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Why pay less when you can pay most.....? Monster of course. They seem pretty cool though with the features and look. "Faster" for more brightness? RF rather than IR. Didn't see any contrast spec.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5938
post #11 of 148 Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The glasses the come with the Kits kit are the 2100ab glasses not the 2200 glasses- they use batteries. They are quite good. I have the plugged into my HL61A750 and my HL67A750. I keep the emitter on top of the set and never had a sync issue even up to 25 feet away. Their is a slight red tint when the screen is totally black, but it is not noticeable when viewing any content.
post #12 of 148 Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

The glasses the come with the Kits kit are the 2100ab glasses not the 2200 glasses- they use batteries. They are quite good. I have the plugged into my HL61A750 and my HL67A750. I keep the emitter on top of the set and never had a sync issue even up to 25 feet away. Their is a slight red tint when the screen is totally black, but it is not noticeable when viewing any content.

Oops, you are right. I have the 2100ab glasses, not the 2200. I'll fix my posts. Nickels needs to fix the spreadsheet, too!
post #13 of 148 Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Spreadsheet updated. I am a little confused on the Samsung models. Just to clarify there is the SSG-2100AB that come with the kits. Then there is the newer SSG-2200AR that have rechargeable batteries. There seems to be conflicting reports on Sync issues with the 2100AB set.

I also added the Monster set to the list. At that price the reviews for our sets will be very limited I'm sure.
post #14 of 148 Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The Monster glasses someone pointed out on the projector forum include an emitter which is pictured. My bad actually for not reading well that this group of glasses you've compiled is for the legacy DLP sets. These may not work in DLP link mode....don't know. Maybe should not be included?
post #15 of 148 Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

The Monster glasses someone pointed out on the projector forum include an emitter which is pictured. My bad actually for not reading well that this group of glasses you've compiled is for the legacy DLP sets. These may not work in DLP link mode....don't know. Maybe should not be included?

The criteria isn't whether or not these work with DLP Link technology, just IF they work on our older sets. The RF emitter will connect to our sets, so these glasses will work with legacy Samsung sets as well as IR only glasses.
For example: the Samsung 2100AB and 3D Magic glasses are both IR glasses that use emitters and don't use DLP Link to work.

The main difference is that our sets have the DLP Link signal always on, so that makes the results different from newer sets. I see no reason not to include the Monster glasses on the spreadsheet.
post #16 of 148 Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Spreadsheet updated. I am a little confused on the Samsung models. Just to clarify there is the SSG-2100AB that come with the kits. Then there is the newer SSG-2200AR that have rechargeable batteries. There seems to be conflicting reports on Sync issues with the 2100AB set.

Yes, that's right the 2100AB are what comes in the current Mits and Samsung 3D starter kits. I have both and this is what's printed on the inside of the frames.

My take is that any sync issues reported with these glasses are caused by poor emitter location, and/or very significant stray sunlight. I have my Mits kit emitter above the TV, on top of the entertainment center and it blasts IR everywhere, causing the glasses to sync even when I'm not facing the emitter, when there is filtered daylight coming through my blinds, and even when I'm in the adjoining kitchen 25 feet away. Based on my experience it's just hard for me to believe that someone could have issues under normal viewing conditions.

Also note that many people using these glasses (and the 2200s) are using them with newer LCD sets. Those sets have built-in emitters and in Samsung's wisdom they mounted the emitters on the BOTTOM bezel. Clearly not optimal location. I think that does cause sync issues.
post #17 of 148 Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sadly my research is showing that there is currently no hands-down favorite when it comes to 3D glasses on these sets. Here is my definition of the holy-grail of 3D glasses:

1. No Rainbows
2. Blacks are black (no reddish hue)
3. No Sync issues
4. Cost around $100
5. Good contrast
6. Rechargeable batteries
7. Fast response rate
8. Lightweight and comfortable
9. Good design / Not clunky or dufus looking
10. Sync reverse switch

You can find models that meet some of these requirements, but I have yet to find any that meet the top five on the list.

So, your choices right now are:
IR glasses - no rainbows, no sync issues, but these usually don't have good contrast or blacks that are black without the red tint.
DLP Link glasses - rainbows or sync issues

For the money, I'd say the current leader is the UltraClear DLP Link glasses.
If you had less than $150, what set would you buy?
post #18 of 148 Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sadly my research is showing that there is currently no hands-down favorite when it comes to 3D glasses on these sets. Here is my definition of the holy-grail of 3D glasses:

1. No Rainbows
2. Blacks are black (no reddish hue)
3. No Sync issues
4. Cost around $100
5. Good contrast
6. Rechargeable batteries
7. Fast response rate
8. Lightweight and comfortable
9. Good design / Not clunky or dufus looking
10. Sync reverse switch

You can find models that meet some of these requirements, but I have yet to find any that meet the top five on the list.

So, your choices right now are:
IR glasses - no rainbows, no sync issues, but these usually don't have good contrast or blacks that are black without the red tint.
DLP Link glasses - rainbows or sync issues

For the money, I'd say the current leader is the UltraClear DLP Link glasses.
If you had less than $150, what set would you buy?

Rainbow is only associated for RP DLP. FP will not encounter such issue. Therefore the criteria/attributes will change based on implementation.

You also would like your glasses to be robust/sturdy. Don't want to pay $60-150 for something that will break after a few use. Viewsonic owners may have more to say about that.

I do agree that UC's are best for value/$. Hope the second/third generation design cycle glasses can bring much more value/$ in the future.
post #19 of 148 Old 02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ooops I thought I was in a different thread when I posted this. Sorry about that

Tonight we will highly scrutinize the different atributes using them in the theater -vs- in the living with the DLP RP. I have not noticed any rainbows on it yet, but I have only had the dlp rp a week or so.

Seems really great on the x102's overall.

I had assumed that the emitters the guys are bringing over will hook up just fine. Of course I don't have my 3D-XL yet, so the theater is going to be limited to the 3D Vision and DLP link glasses.
post #20 of 148 Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope this isn't a dumb question but how does the contrast spec on the brands of glasses that give it, affect final contrast up on the screen from say a good contrast projector. I know this is DLP sets, but same question there as the LED 61A750 I believe is rated at 10,000 to 1 with some kind of mechanism (?).

But most of these glasses are really low in contrast. Don't most that report it get like 1,000 to 1, yet people report the JVCs look terrific in 3D much better than in theaters with the "black" levels. So do you still somehow wind up with better 3D contrast on the Sammy DLP and the good projectors than what the glasses are capable of?

Isn't one of these pairs rated at 5,000 to 1? All other things equal then such as speed and brightness, is that the pair of glasses with likely a (much?) better picture?
post #21 of 148 Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

As a for instance I found this link from mid last year on Toshiba flat panel and glasses tech. They are talking 5,000 to 1 vs typical 1,000 to 1. But in most discussions of which glasses to buy of the "active" technology though, contrast specifically seems no more considered than any of many other parameters..... comfort, build quality, cost, battery performance, etc, etc......that are important for individual consideration.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/monitor...D_Glasses.html

"Toshiba’s active-shutter stereo 3D glasses boast with 0.1ms (open to close/decay) and 1.8ms (close to open/rise) response speed, whereas many competing solutions declare 0.3ms and 3.7ms speeds, or even 2ms “typical” response time. Toshiba’s OCB LCD technology enables 5000:1 contrast ratio when viewed perpendicular to the display and 1000:1 at a viewing angle of 30°, while competing shutter glasses come with 1000:1 “typical” contrast ratio."

For best performance then should I be looking first for contrast and speed, and then among the brands that can offer that narrowing it down with all the other attributes? Are 5,000 to 1 or higher glasses going to always look better with high contrast displays than lower contrast pairs if all else is equal?
post #22 of 148 Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM

I have two pair of each and both work but the Viewsonics work on my Mitsu set when out put is set to forward or reverse mode, the Optoma's only work in reverse mode.

I have my own theory that a batch of Viewsonics were made with the wrong type of plastic. Just a hunch, because mine have had abuse by some children, and can be wiggled quite a bit with no sign of even the slightest crack. I am guessing some were made with a more brittle polymer.

But the new viewsonics with folding frames will fix that.

All my content (Imax movies and Avatar) look spectacular with the Viewsonics and I notice no artifacts. They are big and stupid looking though, and not rechargeable.
post #23 of 148 Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Respectfully, are my questions right above about how important contrast ratio is in active glasses, in comparison to their many other attributes that buyers purchase for....actually indeed "dumb" or no one has an opinion or knows?

Many displays and projectors' main marketing campaigns are built with their contrast specs front and center. It "seems" to me but I'm honestly asking shouldn't we always start first with the highest contrast rated glasses? And then narrow down?
post #24 of 148 Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Liked: 11
Just remember that glasses perform differently on different sets. For instance, on my HLT5687S I have absolutely zero red tint using the 2100 glasses in the starter kit... I have also had zero luck with DLP Link glasses. Food for thought.
post #25 of 148 Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

Just remember that glasses perform differently on different sets. For instance, on my HLT5687S I have absolutely zero red tint using the 2100 glasses in the starter kit... I have also had zero luck with DLP Link glasses. Food for thought.

How can this be possible? My understanding is that 6187s and 5687s are the same TV except for size. They use the same screen, same LED parts, so the glasses should work the same on these sets. I have heard reports of the 2100s having a minor red tint on these sets (See post from PaulGo above). I am truly baffled by this and now don't know what to think other then my guide may be useless for determining red tinted blacks.

Justin-Dawson - without glasses does your set have a noticeable red tint when in 3D mode, because mine does? I got a set of 3D Magic's Model U IR glasses and the blacks aren't fully black, but red tinted.
post #26 of 148 Old 02-23-2011, 06:41 PM

I for one will continue to subscribe to this thread! Keep up the good work nickels55.
post #27 of 148 Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson View Post

This is my experience on the 6187s as well.
post #28 of 148 Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

high def mon - Thanks, and will do!

===============
Samsung SSG-2100ab

Am I to understand these IR glasses remove the red tint in blacks, have no rainbows, display minor sync issues fixable with some tape over the sensor, are fragile, and have decent contrast? I can get a new, open-box pair for about $70, but I am tired of wasting more money on substandard glasses. So, for the price these would have to be at least as good as the UC glasses. Are they?
post #29 of 148 Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Justin-Dawson - without glasses does your set have a noticeable red tint when in 3D mode, because mine does? I got a set of 3D Magic's Model U IR glasses and the blacks aren't fully black, but red tinted.
In 3d mode without glasses my set has absolutely no tinting to it what so ever... which is why I believe I've had issues with DLP Link in the past. I'm not sure if this is a "defect" with my set or not... "defect" being a loose term.
post #30 of 148 Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
high def mon - Thanks, and will do!

===============
Samsung SSG-2100ab

Am I to understand these IR glasses remove the red tint in blacks, have no rainbows, display minor sync issues fixable with some tape over the sensor, are fragile, and have decent contrast? I can get a new, open-box pair for about $70, but I am tired of wasting more money on substandard glasses. So, for the price these would have to be at least as good as the UC glasses. Are they?
I'm not sure if they "remove" the red tint or not as my set doesn't exhibit this feature. Having said that though, the picture quality with these glasses is fantastic and I've never had a single sync issue - I literally have to leave the room and face an opposite corner to get them to lose synch. Turning your head or having someone walk in front of you has absolutely no effect synch wise.

The one problem I have with these is that you can see reflections of what's behind you in the corners of the lenses. I believe this is due to them being manufactured to fit over prescription glasses. If the glasses had a tighter closer fit, they'd be pretty much perfect.

The design isn't overly flimsy and I still haven't had to replace the batteries going on several months now...
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page