Official Monster Vision Max 3D Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1065 Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
you should be able to tune the glasses via the emitter or the firmware software to eliminate ghosting. i only see ghosting when a video game's default 3d settings are out of whack and need adjusting in the game menu, or when i lean way back and have the glasses at a 45 degree angle relative to the screen (many others have noticed this in terms of the viewing angle and crosstalk).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1065 Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

So is anyone in need or interested in just the RF emitter? I just need another pair of glasses. So if anyone is interested, we can work out the cost difference for just the emitter. Maybe split the cost in half? I'll buy the kit and send the emitter out to whom ever wants to do this.

Thought I would put it out there...

adidino, just buy the Optoma glasses for $69 on amazon, they work with the monster kit no problem. Same glasses.
post #453 of 1065 Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

you should be able to tune the glasses via the emitter or the firmware software to eliminate ghosting. i only see ghosting when a video game's default 3d settings are out of whack and need adjusting in the game menu, or when i lean way back and have the glasses at a 45 degree angle relative to the screen (many others have noticed this in terms of the viewing angle and crosstalk).

Thanks for responding to my question about crosstalk.
post #454 of 1065 Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Just bought a Sony HW30AES Projector and the IR emitter on it has to be in front of the room firing back at their glasses or they loose sync, the main weakness of the HW30 btw, the terrible 3d-emitter.

Bought the Monster Vision 3D Max which work great and extra Optoma glasses which also work great. However, it appears that Monster is indeed phasing these out. I see an Optoma RF transmitter on Amazon, but don't see anything other than the Monster kit that has IR Receiver piece that plugs in to the transmitter. Just concerned that if either one or both go bad, that I would be out of luck for replacing this. Any ideas on other alternatives or perhaps a source for the IR receiver.

Thanks.
post #455 of 1065 Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

Just bought a Sony HW30AES Projector and the IR emitter on it has to be in front of the room firing back at their glasses or they loose sync, the main weakness of the HW30 btw, the terrible 3d-emitter.

Bought the Monster Vision 3D Max which work great and extra Optoma glasses which also work great. However, it appears that Monster is indeed phasing these out. I see an Optoma RF transmitter on Amazon, but don't see anything other than the Monster kit that has IR Receiver piece that plugs in to the transmitter. Just concerned that if either one or both go bad, that I would be out of luck for replacing this. Any ideas on other alternatives or perhaps a source for the IR receiver.

Thanks.

I would suggest that you buy a pair or two of the Monster kits with the transmitters. The price now is great and who knows how long they will last. The cost of the whole kit is only 15 more than the Optoma glasses alone.
As you know the the Monster glasses and transmitters are the same. I suggest that you update the firmware to the latest version as soon as you get the glasses.
post #456 of 1065 Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Thanks rwestley. I updated the firmware on the transmitter I have successfully, but how do you tell if the firmware on the glasses were updated? I didn't see any additional LED flashing outside of the normal fast flashing at power on and then a slower flashing after that. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I would suggest that you buy a pair or two of the Monster kits with the transmitters. The price now is great and who knows how long they will last. The cost of the whole kit is only 15 more than the Optoma glasses alone.
As you know the the Monster glasses and transmitters are the same. I suggest that you update the firmware to the latest version as soon as you get the glasses.

post #457 of 1065 Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

Thanks rwestley. I updated the firmware on the transmitter I have successfully, but how do you tell if the firmware on the glasses were updated? I didn't see any additional LED flashing outside of the normal fast flashing at power on and then a slower flashing after that. Thx.

The glasses will automatically update when you reinstall the transmitter on your device.
post #458 of 1065 Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, the monster website used to say these would work with Mitsubishi projectors. I was just about to call them to confirm if they would work with the HC 7800, but the glasses have been pulled from the main website it looks like.

I think the monsters may have worked with the Mits 9000. Anybody have any clue if they might work with the new HC 7800 with it's proprietary glasses??
post #459 of 1065 Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Is this compatible with Epson 6000 (US 3010) glasses ? Search didnt help me =/
post #460 of 1065 Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Can anyone tell me if the firmware utility is compatible with Windows XP. I have an old laptop that I would like to use for adjusting the transmitter on the fly sitting at a good viewing position.
post #461 of 1065 Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robut View Post

Can anyone tell me if the firmware utility is compatible with Windows XP. I have an old laptop that I would like to use for adjusting the transmitter on the fly sitting at a good viewing position.

It is.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #462 of 1065 Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I went ahead and purchased the Monster iSlimCharger - which is the one recommended in the Monster 3d glasses manual. It is only a single charger, so I guess I'll have to rotate charge my 4 pairs of glasses. The other one just didn't work. I plugged my glasses in my computer USB and the glasses were charged in a few hours, but I need a charger for the theater room.

Here is a link to the Monster charger.

You can use a Belkin 4-port USB hub which I believe is in the 2000-2500ma range. That way you can charge more than one pair simultaneously. 500ma is cutting it too close for one pair.
post #463 of 1065 Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 View Post

Hey guys, the monster website used to say these would work with Mitsubishi projectors. I was just about to call them to confirm if they would work with the HC 7800, but the glasses have been pulled from the main website it looks like.

I think the monsters may have worked with the Mits 9000. Anybody have any clue if they might work with the new HC 7800 with it's proprietary glasses??

From what I've read, the Mitsubishi glasses are proprietary to the HC7800 - they're supposed to make the performance better. I'm not sure if the Monster ones will work, but I imagine they won't work as well as the Mits ones will.
post #464 of 1065 Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 AM

Could you please post your best setting for SOny HW30?
Thanks
post #465 of 1065 Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I am wondering is Monster is selling their stock of these glasses out. It seems that they did not sell enough at the regular price. They are being sold now at a very good price by some of Amazon's vendors and other sources. Optoma seems to still support the same glasses with their name on them.
post #466 of 1065 Old 02-17-2012, 12:53 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am wondering is Monster is selling their stock of these glasses out. It seems that they did not sell enough at the regular price. They are being sold now at a very good price by some of Amazon's vendors and other sources. Optoma seems to still support the same glasses with their name on them.

This is the feeling I am getting. Monster took their main web page down for these last week and it is hard to find anything about them on their site. In addition as reported above they were not shown at any of the recent trade shows.
post #467 of 1065 Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have some bad news. I'm really sorry to report this since I initially found the Monster/Optoma 3D glasses to my liking. I liked the fit, comfort, image quality, and field of vision. I have a Epson 6010 and 2 pairs of Epson glasses. They don't fit on me at all. I bought 1 Monster 3D kit and 3 Optoma glasses. All worked initially. After only six hours on one, it died. It was weird because it was fully charged. When turned on, I got the three slow blinking lights indicating it was above 50% charge. In just minutes, it stopped working right when movie viewing. It wouldn't turn on, no blinking indicator lights. When I plugged it it, no charging light. After I left it to charge for a few hours. Nothing. It was dead. It was still within amazon.com's window of return, so I sent it in for refund.

Just today, another one died. Couldn't turn on. Couldn't recharge. Nothing. That's two out of the four that had less than 10 viewing hours on them completely die. I was at the last few days window of return, so I just mailed that one back to amazon as well.

Even if the remaining two work, I will now always worry that they will die in the middle of a movie - never again to be revived. Totally unacceptable - especially when I have guests over. I need something reliable.

At this point, I must give these glasses 1 out of 5 stars and warn all potential buyers that they are unreliable. I will update this thread if any of the remaining two also die.
post #468 of 1065 Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I have some bad news. I'm really sorry to report this since I initially found the Monster/Optoma 3D glasses to my liking. I liked the fit, comfort, image quality, and field of vision. I have a Epson 6010 and 2 pairs of Epson glasses. They don't fit on me at all. I bought 1 Monster 3D kit and 3 Optoma glasses. All worked initially. After only six hours on one, it died. It was weird because it was fully charged. When turned on, I got the three slow blinking lights indicating it was above 50% charge. In just minutes, it stopped working right when movie viewing. It wouldn't turn on, no blinking indicator lights. When I plugged it it, no charging light. After I left it to charge for a few hours. Nothing. It was dead. It was still within amazon.com's window of return, so I sent it in for refund.

Just today, another one died. Couldn't turn on. Couldn't recharge. Nothing. That's two out of the four that had less than 10 viewing hours on them completely die. I was at the last few days window of return, so I just mailed that one back to amazon as well.

Even if the remaining two work, I will now always worry that they will die in the middle of a movie - never again to be revived. Totally unacceptable - especially when I have guests over. I need something reliable.

At this point, I must give these glasses 1 out of 5 stars and warn all potential buyers that they are unreliable. I will update this thread if any of the remaining two also die.

Just a little trick for you that might work. Mine did the same thing. Stopped charging and wouldn't turn on. I unscrewed the little plate inside the frame (the side without the USB port) and unplugged the lithium battery and plugged it back in. Glasses powered up and started working again. No issues since. Something worth trying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #469 of 1065 Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a little trick for you that might work. Mine did the same thing. Stopped charging and wouldn't turn on. I unscrewed the little plate inside the frame (the side without the USB port) and unplugged the lithium battery and plugged it back in. Glasses powered up and started working again. No issues since. Something worth trying.

Thanks for the tip, Tony. I was going to open them up and play around with the components, but figured it might void the warranty or something. Since they were in the refund window, I took that route. Now that the rest are outside that window, it's good to know there may be a fix by re-setting the battery. Like I said, I really like the glasses when they are working.
post #470 of 1065 Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

It also could be the charger that you are using. Is it putting out not enough power to charge the batteries. If you are using a computer to charge them this could be the cause of the problem.
post #471 of 1065 Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

It also could be the charger that you are using. Is it putting out not enough power to charge the batteries. If you are using a computer to charge them this could be the cause of the problem.

PC USB charge should be plenty. I charge my phone with it all the time. Takes longer but it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #472 of 1065 Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We went through all this last year in the 3DVIP Theater and Displayer threads.

Bit Cauldron determined last summer a batch was made with an improper value charge resistor. This prevents them from never reaching full charge, this gradually keeps recharging to lower threshholds on subsequent charging. Whether you have some from that group or a similar problem has developed on a new batch is unknown.

Monster and Optoma do not manufacture them, they are just rebranded for them by Bit Cauldron.

3DVIP replaced their customer RF glasses from a fresh confirmed batch last year. I know because I went through four pairs and submitted the charge voltage data to them.

Most of the time you can get by with a 500ma usb source but I was informed by one of the BC engineers if the SOC "state of charge" reaches a certain point the charge controller circuitry could demand up to 750ma. If your souce can't meet that demand then they will remain undercharged.

My replacements that were 3DVIP branded now remain charged for months. My bad ones would go dead in a matter of days after charging and in the OFF state.
post #473 of 1065 Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting information about the charging issues. However, it is puzzling how one of mine that went bad WAS fully charged and just instantly died 10 minutes later while watching a movie. Went from full charge (according to the light code) to dead. Couldn't be revived. Doesn't make much sense to me that it shows at least 50-100% charge (three blinks) - which should be worth at least 30 hours of use - and then die 10 minutes later.

FYI, I used the Monster AC iSlimCharger charger as recommended in the manual that comes with the Monster/Optoma glasses. It would be odd if they would print in their manuals to obtain a charger that is insufficient. As I said, the glasses showed full charge (or thereabouts) according to the code. I would hope if they had a known problem last year, those models were recalled and replaced with updated models. I couldn't still be getting OLD INVENTORY at this point (I would hope).
post #474 of 1065 Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting information about the charging issues. However, it is puzzling how one of mine that went bad WAS fully charged and just instantly died 10 minutes later while watching a movie. Went from full charge (according to the light code) to dead. Couldn't be revived. Doesn't make much sense to me that it shows at least 50-100% charge (three blinks) - which should be worth at least 30 hours of use - and then die 10 minutes later.

FYI, I used the Monster AC iSlimCharger charger as recommended in the manual that comes with the Monster/Optoma glasses. It would be odd if they would print in their manuals to obtain a charger that is insufficient. As I said, the glasses showed full charge (or thereabouts) according to the code. I would hope if they had a known problem last year, those models were recalled and replaced with updated models. I couldn't still be getting OLD INVENTORY at this point (I would hope).

Your just proved that point, the light code is useless, actual measurements would show that you more than likely only reached 3.2VDC. If I remember correctly shutdown voltage is around 3.0, full charge is 3.75VDC. So that gives you roughly a .75V range between 0-100%. If it never reached 3.75v, and I saw that with the defect glasses then your capacity is greatly reduced.

Monstervision never recalled them or were involved in that issue, 3DVIP worked on it and offered replacement to their customer base that had the problem. I can't answer what Monster or Optoma has received for inventory as I own 3DVIP versions. As far as I know Monster or Optoma are totally unaware of that subject since the 3DVIP user base were the ones that assisted with making the determination and follow through with Bit Cauldron.

I am only pointing it out to you Monster users you may also be experiencing the same problem. If your glasses will not store the charge for the rated time length then have Monster or Optoma exchange them. Good way to find out about their customer service.
post #475 of 1065 Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks for the tip, Tony. I was going to open them up and play around with the components, but figured it might void the warranty or something. Since they were in the refund window, I took that route. Now that the rest are outside that window, it's good to know there may be a fix by re-setting the battery. Like I said, I really like the glasses when they are working.

I wonder if the latest firmware is locking up and causing this issue.
post #476 of 1065 Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone having issues with the ir receiver picking up a signal? I have a Sony 95 projector and have tried two different kits. I have also tried it on my two Sony tv's. All are 3d models. The rf converter just blinks moving red no matter what orientation I use on the ir receiver. All of the plugs are firmly inserted.

The firmware is up to date.

The Sony 3d glasses work fine so I know the signal is being transmitted.
post #477 of 1065 Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PC USB charge should be plenty. I charge my phone with it all the time. Takes longer but it works.

The reason why I thought about using a more powerful charger is that many computers usb output will not charge the I-pad and some other devices. I don't know the output of the Monster Charger but I am using an external charger with an output of 1000ma. My Blackberry will also not charge through the computer.
post #478 of 1065 Old 02-19-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason why I thought about using a more powerful charger is that many computers usb output will not charge the I-pad and some other devices. I don't know the output of the Monster Charger but I am using an external charger with an output of 1000ma. My Blackberry will also not charge through the computer.

One of the problems with buying an external charger is that most of them don't specify their "output" numbers. I initially bought a Belkin USB charger for the glasses. No specifications. Didn't work. I searched and searched online for another USB charger. Very few listed ANY output numbers. It's a crap shoot. So, I ended up getting the Monster SlimCharger because it was LISTED IN THE MONSTER 3D MANUAL as recommended. But there are NO specifications on that charger either, so WHO KNOWS what the output really is.

The problem is even more complicated than that. Not only is it rare to find a USB charger for the glasses that lists any output specifications, but the glasses themselves don't list any INPUT specifications for charging. The buyer is completely blind to what is needed to recharge these things. It's totally hit or miss and if you're wrong you could even be damaging your glasses.

There needs to be a lot more information and standardization with regards to 3D equipment.
post #479 of 1065 Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

That entirely depends on the PC. Laptop USB ports are notoriously variable in their output.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #480 of 1065 Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of the problems with buying an external charger is that most of them don't specify their "output" numbers. I initially bought a Belkin USB charger for the glasses. No specifications. Didn't work. I searched and searched online for another USB charger. Very few listed ANY output numbers. It's a crap shoot. So, I ended up getting the Monster SlimCharger because it was LISTED IN THE MONSTER 3D MANUAL as recommended. But there are NO specifications on that charger either, so WHO KNOWS what the output really is.

The problem is even more complicated than that. Not only is it rare to find a USB charger for the glasses that lists any output specifications, but the glasses themselves don't list any INPUT specifications for charging. The buyer is completely blind to what is needed to recharge these things. It's totally hit or miss and if you're wrong you could even be damaging your glasses.

There needs to be a lot more information and standardization with regards to 3D equipment.

I use this one, has 2.6 amps at 5V.

BELKIN F5U234-APL-S 4 Port USB Hub
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Monster Vision Max Active 3d Glasses

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page