post #691 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

Just to be clear there is no firmware sent to the glasses, it remains strictly in the transmitter. RF glasses are dumb receivers, whatever frequency that is sent to the glasses is how much they will shutter at within the adjustment range of the transmitter. Approximately 50-240 hz. The only smarts the glasses have are in the charging circuit and their binding to a particular transmitter.

I am 99.9999999% positive that was a typo.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bill and everyone for the response and the correction, so I only have to update the emitter/transmitter, got it!!!

HT Set Up: Epson 8350, Sony Strd G-920, JBL 7.1 Venue series speakers, JBL Sub12 subwoofer, Harmony One remote, Xbox 360, PS3, Sony BDP S350, Toshiba HDA2, Directv HR-24 DVR.
post #693 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Just to be clear there is no firmware sent to the glasses, it remains strictly in the transmitter. RF glasses are dumb receivers, whatever frequency that is sent to the glasses is how much they will shutter at within the adjustment range of the transmitter. Approximately 50-240 hz. The only smarts the glasses have are in the charging circuit and their binding to a particular transmitter.

You may be correct but page 28 of the Monster glasses manual states

"EYEWEAR UPDATES
"Firmware for the Eyewear is updated via the transmitter, when the firmware in
the transmitter is updated it also contains updated firmware for the Eyewear.
When the Eyewear is turned on and syncs with the transmitter it automatically downloads new firmware.
During this process the LED will blink rapidly as the firmware is being updated, once the update is complete the Eyewear is ready to use."

It is recommended that after updating the firmware in the transmitter that the Eyewear be turned on so that the update can take place. This will ensure that the Eyewear is ready to go the next time it is used..." (Page 28 Monster glasses manual)
post #694 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM

That's correct, the Monster glasses do have firmware, but it is always downloaded from the transceiver dongle over RF, so you don't need to ever update it.

(For those with hardware hacking curiosities, both seem to be i8052 based devices and the glasses/transceiver share some amount of common codebase)
post #695 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone notice a buzzing sound coming from their glasses? It was briefly mentioned by some posters when this thread was started, but not much said after that.

The buzz sound is only noticable during quiet scenes of movies (or games).

-Could you hear buzzing from your glasses when they were new?
-Did age make them buzz more/louder?
-Anyone know of a fix?
post #696 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

You may be correct but page 28 of the Monster glasses manual states

"EYEWEAR UPDATES
"Firmware for the Eyewear is updated via the transmitter, when the firmware in
the transmitter is updated it also contains updated firmware for the Eyewear.
When the Eyewear is turned on and syncs with the transmitter it automatically downloads new firmware.
During this process the LED will blink rapidly as the firmware is being updated, once the update is complete the Eyewear is ready to use."

It is recommended that after updating the firmware in the transmitter that the Eyewear be turned on so that the update can take place. This will ensure that the Eyewear is ready to go the next time it is used..." (Page 28 Monster glasses manual)

I wish I could explain this subject which is rather convoluted from the manufacturer. There is a firmware in the glasses that is primarily for the manufacturer to make certain changes that occur during production. The FULL firmware that you are interested in and that YOU update takes place in the transmitter. The glasses themselves when re-enabled after a firmware update of the transmitter will basically only be updated to the point where they recognize certain settings that are made using the transmitter dongle, such as polarity reversal for instance.

So yes, to a degree they are updated but the transmitter is getting the bulk of the of the firmware rewrite.

In the end we just update the transmitter which is what SpinsterSRXD now has a clear understanding.
post #697 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post

Anyone notice a buzzing sound coming from their glasses? It was briefly mentioned by some posters when this thread was started, but not much said after that.

The buzz sound is only noticable during quiet scenes of movies (or games).

-Could you hear buzzing from your glasses when they were new?
-Did age make them buzz more/louder?
-Anyone know of a fix?

I can hear it when it's quiet.

Bill
post #698 of 1063 Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish I could explain this subject which is rather convoluted from the manufacturer. There is a firmware in the glasses that is primarily for the manufacturer to make certain changes that occur during production. The FULL firmware that you are interested in and that YOU update takes place in the transmitter. The glasses themselves when re-enabled after a firmware update of the transmitter will basically only be updated to the point where they recognize certain settings that are made using the transmitter dongle, such as polarity reversal for instance.

So yes, to a degree they are updated but the transmitter is getting the bulk of the of the firmware rewrite.

In the end we just update the transmitter which is what SpinsterSRXD now has a clear understanding.

You said it very well. The transmitter is really "getting the bulk of the firmware update. I think that you are also correct that the transmitter is just sending the new signal to the glasses and even though it may be called an update it is really just a setting change.
post #699 of 1063 Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Monster is even offering a better deal for 3 days only 20% off $59.95. This is the best price ever for these glasses and transmitter.

http://electronics.monstercable.com/...w=3d%20glasses

Discount code below.
3DAY20OFF

Free shipping when the order is over $100
post #700 of 1063 Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Monster is even offering a better deal for 3 days only 20% off $59.95. This is the best price ever for these glasses and transmitter.

http://electronics.monstercable.com/...w=3d%20glasses

Discount code below.
3DAY20OFF

Free shipping when the order is over $100

Only problem is it looks like the dreaded charging resistor defect is back if you go by a recent review posted on their site. I went through that with Bit Cauldron in 2011 when they had a significant batch go through with the incorrect resistor which would not allow the glasses to charge properly.

Also the Li-Po battery that is inside them is no longer sourceable. I've written them about it a few months back and no response.

I am awaiting a new 3DRF glasses to test that has a separate RF transmitter similar to the type that comes with wireless keyboards and mice. All the adjustments are on the glasses frame and have various presets for different displays and other adjustments. No more messing with the jstick on the transmitter at least.

Since I already have Monster/3DVIP RF glasses I am going to forego adding any more since there is no battery replacement at this point. It also appears Monsters customer service is not responding for replacement glasses if they don't charge.

Thanks for posting the deal just the same.
post #701 of 1063 Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Man I hope not! That will suck. Not sure I would want polarity change buttons on the glasses. I would rather have control over all the glasses in the room. A lot of people don't understand it well enough to know if its right or wrong and I don't want to check every pair of glasses. These work well enough. As far as the battery they should outlast the glasses and this technology. They don't get charged very often and are good for a lot more charges than I will ever charge them.
post #702 of 1063 Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM

@SgtVideo, @rwestley: I've torn the firmware apart enough to see that there does appear to be actual i8052 executable code for the glasses embedded inside the i8052 code for the transponder. It may just be a patch to a base ROM, or a user code table, but it is more than just settings.
post #703 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkidz View Post

@SgtVideo, @rwestley: I've torn the firmware apart enough to see that there does appear to be actual i8052 executable code for the glasses embedded inside the i8052 code for the transponder. It may just be a patch to a base ROM, or a user code table, but it is more than just settings.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you findings zkidz but I can only go with the comments from those higher up the food chains that represent these companies. How accurate they are and how much they wish to reveal is a different question.
post #704 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only problem is it looks like the dreaded charging resistor defect is back if you go by a recent review posted on their site. I went through that with Bit Cauldron in 2011 when they had a significant batch go through with the incorrect resistor which would not allow the glasses to charge properly.

Also the Li-Po battery that is inside them is no longer sourceable. I've written them about it a few months back and no response.

I am awaiting a new 3DRF glasses to test that has a separate RF transmitter similar to the type that comes with wireless keyboards and mice. All the adjustments are on the glasses frame and have various presets for different displays and other adjustments. No more messing with the jstick on the transmitter at least.

Since I already have Monster/3DVIP RF glasses I am going to forego adding any more since there is no battery replacement at this point. It also appears Monsters customer service is not responding for replacement glasses if they don't charge.

Thanks for posting the deal just the same.

Sounds like the Xpand 104's with RF dongle that you are talking about.
post #705 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkidz View Post

Thanks, very interesting that there actually is a firmware update for the glasses.
post #706 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like the Xpand 104's with RF dongle that you are talking about.

No, this is new production from a different vendor. Not mentioning their name at this time until given the OK and see how these work out. Supposedly the presets optimize the tuning for various display types and give the least amount of flicker when used at 60hz.

Made for folks that have difficulty using the tuning modes. The manual mode is still available for those that are adept to using it.
post #707 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Since I got two transmitter/glasses pair with the monster.com deal, I'm wondering how easy it is to setup a transmitter on two different displays (Sony Projector/Panny Plasma) and sync the glasses for that particular transmitter. Glasses would only be used with one display at a time.

Anyone?

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #708 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone?

Since the transmitter only stores the last settings used if you change displays or possibly source player and retune then those settings are over written. Odds are likely you will be retuning when switching back and forth and maybe reversing polarity as well.
post #709 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the transmitter only stores the last settings used if you change displays or possibly source player and retune then those settings are over written. Odds are likely you will be retuning when switching back and forth and maybe reversing polarity as well.

Not if you use a different emitter/transmitter! You can program each for the display they are attached too. Then use the glasses on both.
post #710 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I think you might be misunderstanding what I want to do. I want to have a transmitter at each display, and move the glasses between them. Don't I just have to sync the glasses to the transmitter when I switch displays?

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #711 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think you might be misunderstanding what I want to do. I want to have a transmitter at each display, and move the glasses between them. Don't I just have to sync the glasses to the transmitter when I switch displays?

I would guess they will sync with which ever transmitter is on at the time automatically. I recall seeing that somewhere in a thread here.

Bill
post #712 of 1063 Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I did. Since I have not used two transmitters in the same environment it does sound plausible that if you have two transmitters that are separately tuned for the system in use then indeed that should work.
post #713 of 1063 Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM

I received yesterday.very nice!no ploblem.Should I FW update?
post #714 of 1063 Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchtownrock View Post

I received yesterday.very nice!no ploblem.Should I FW update?

I suggest that you update the firmware with the VIP firmware. It is the latest and only takes a few minutes. I did it on the two transmitters I received two days ago.
post #715 of 1063 Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, this is new production from a different vendor. Not mentioning their name at this time until given the OK and see how these work out. Supposedly the presets optimize the tuning for various display types and give the least amount of flicker when used at 60hz.

Made for folks that have difficulty using the tuning modes. The manual mode is still available for those that are adept to using it.

Sounds interesting. Hope that they can reduce flicker. Wish the settings could also lower ghosting.
post #716 of 1063 Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds interesting. Hope that they can reduce flicker. Wish the settings could also lower ghosting.

What model display are you having the ghosting problem with?
post #717 of 1063 Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What model display are you having the ghosting problem with?

I have a JVC RS45 projector and there is a know ghosting issue on some 3d sources and disks. It is great on 2D.
post #718 of 1063 Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a JVC RS45 projector and there is a know ghosting issue on some 3d sources and disks. It is great on 2D.

They might reduce some of the ghosting but the image will get noticably dimmer as you reduce the duty cycle below 80%. The JVC panels just don't refresh quick enough.
post #719 of 1063 Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just in case you haven't, disable any video enhancement options like "noise reduction" and such one at a time to see if ghosting is improved. In 3D mode in a lot of displays those options get grey out because of their nature to reprocess frames, that can be problematic for 3D frame packed video and exacerbate ghosting. I believe your projector is already 3D capable but just in case there may be a menu option that could be hindering best 3D image that is still enabled.
post #720 of 1063 Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just in case you haven't, disable any video enhancement options like "noise reduction" and such one at a time to see if ghosting is improved. In 3D mode in a lot of displays those options get grey out because of their nature to reprocess frames, that can be problematic for 3D frame packed video and exacerbate ghosting. I believe your projector is already 3D capable but just in case there may be a menu option that could be hindering best 3D image that is still enabled.

Have done all of the above. The Ghosting is not usually bad. I just know that DLP and a few other projectors have less of a ghosting issue. I bought the projector mainly for 2D. I don't think anything equals it in this class. I really don't think it will be possible to fully tune out the ghosting on some films.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Monster Vision Max Active 3d Glasses

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page