Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1065 Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool. Thanks for that.

I just ordered a pair of Monstervisions. Goow ing to see how it goes. I may need to order the external emitter. Once I get something going, I'll order more glasses.

Thanks
Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1065 Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post

Cool. Thanks for that.
I just ordered a pair of Monstervisions. Goow ing to see how it goes. I may need to order the external emitter. Once I get something going, I'll order more glasses.

Didn't you order with the emitter? You'll need a charger too...use an old cell phone charger. They work fine for me!
post #813 of 1065 Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered with the RF emitter, yes. But my unit is mounted in a soffit, and I'm not sure that the Monster RF unit will be able to pick up the IR signal. I'll mount it in the soffit too, but below the unit. I'm told the Ir for the 3d does not come out of the back IR port.

Thanks
Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #814 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ordered with the RF emitter, yes. But my unit is mounted in a soffit, and I'm not sure that the Monster RF unit will be able to pick up the IR signal. I'll mount it in the soffit too, but below the unit. I'm told the Ir for the 3d does not come out of the back IR port.

I don't use the IR to RF converter. I just plug the RF emitter into the sync port. I don't use IR for 3D sync.
post #815 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

I don't use the IR to RF converter. I just plug the RF emitter into the sync port. I don't use IR for 3D sync.

I,m thinking you are using a different projector than I am. I have an Epson 5010e. I see no port called a "sync port". I do have an external 3D IR port, which is to use the 3D external IR emitter.

Thanks
Roger

post #816 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I,m thinking you are using a different projector than I am. I have an Epson 5010e. I see no port called a "sync port". I do have an external 3D IR port, which is to use the 3D external IR emitter.

Right! You should be able to replace your IR emitter with the RF emitter. Unless you want to use both ir and ref glasses.
post #817 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right! You should be able to replace your IR emitter with the RF emitter. Unless you want to use both ir and ref glasses.

So, it sounds like you are saying I can plug the Monstervision emitter into the external port for IR. I'll go over to the Epson Glasses thread and ask.

Thanks
Roger

post #818 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, it sounds like you are saying I can plug the Monstervision emitter into the external port for IR. I'll go over to the Epson Glasses thread and ask.

If it has the standard mini din port, yes!
post #819 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

No. It is an RF45, and I've read that to extend the IR emitter, you use Cat5 cable.

Thanks
Roger

post #820 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. It is an RF45, and I've read that to extend the IR emitter, you use Cat5 cable.

Doesn't look like it will work that way unless you can get a schematic of the output. It is an RJ45. So where is the internal emitter output on the projector?
post #821 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't look like it will work that way unless you can get a schematic of the output. It is an RJ45. So where is the internal emitter output on the projector?

Its on the front. To the right of the lens, if looking at the lens. There'll be no room to put the the RF module in front if it, as it is in a soffit. (Working on ventilation now for cooling).

I'm going to initially try, and expect to fail, by putting the emitter under it, and maybe bouncing the signal, it will work. Otherwise, I need to get an Epson External emitter and hook to that port. Just another $80, but hope I don't need to spend it. rolleyes.gif

Thanks
Roger

post #822 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its on the front. To the right of the lens, if looking at the lens. There'll be no room to put the the RF module in front if it, as it is in a soffit. (Working on ventilation now for cooling).
I'm going to initially try, and expect to fail, by putting the emitter under it, and maybe bouncing the signal, it will work. Otherwise, I need to get an Epson External emitter and hook to that port. Just another $80, but hope I don't need to spend it. rolleyes.gif

Always something in the way...its never always easy.

Good luck!
post #823 of 1065 Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Always something in the way...its never always easy.
Good luck!

Ain't that the truth?

I'll post how it goes.

Thanks
Roger

post #824 of 1065 Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Update 3: 10 days since I charged both glasses after the battery swap and both still showing a full charge!
post #825 of 1065 Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update 3: 10 days since I charged both glasses after the battery swap and both still showing a full charge!

Those things seem determined to mess with you. But at least in a good way smile.gif

Thanks
Roger

post #826 of 1065 Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Update 4: finally the newer monster glasses are quickly flashing 6 times to the Optima 3 slow flashes. So the battery swap says the problem is the circuit board in the Monster glasses. I will bring both to work and try to figure out what is different.
post #827 of 1065 Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update 4: finally the newer monster glasses are quickly flashing 6 times to the Optima 3 slow flashes. So the battery swap says the problem is the circuit board in the Monster glasses. I will bring both to work and try to figure out what is different.

Good Luck. Let's see, how many days is that...and have you used the glasses?

Thanks
Roger

post #828 of 1065 Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good Luck. Let's see, how many days is that...and have you used the glasses?

Only powered on both pair to check battery levels. Its been 13 days.

I tried contacting Bit Cauldron and an auto response came to me from the VP of the company saying my response was received but he never replied back about where the wrong component is.
post #829 of 1065 Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my first pair Monster's. I'm not sure they are working right.

I had a hard time getting them going, likely due to the learning curve. But I finally did. but here is what I experienced now:

Played the final bit of a movie (after not watching much while trying to get it working/synched, etc). So I wanted to start it over. I stopped the movie, red light on glasses started flashing. Restarted it, selected to play in 3D. Green lights on the controller are solid, and all lit. But the glasses just keeps flashing red, and not picking up.

Then after a while the light stopped. So I pressed the button and turned them back on, and they synched. Started watching movie, and in about 5 min, they started blinking again.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks
Roger

post #830 of 1065 Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got my first pair Monster's. I'm not sure they are working right.
I had a hard time getting them going, likely due to the learning curve. But I finally did. but here is what I experienced now:
Played the final bit of a movie (after not watching much while trying to get it working/synched, etc). So I wanted to start it over. I stopped the movie, red light on glasses started flashing. Restarted it, selected to play in 3D. Green lights on the controller are solid, and all lit. But the glasses just keeps flashing red, and not picking up.
Then after a while the light stopped. So I pressed the button and turned them back on, and they synched. Started watching movie, and in about 5 min, they started blinking again.
Any suggestions or thoughts?

Sounds like the IR is not being picked up to well from the projector.
post #831 of 1065 Old 08-26-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like the IR is not being picked up to well from the projector.

That isn't teh case. The device to pick it up is taped right to the front of the projector; all led indicators are green.

After posting above: the glasses went off, I turned them back on, and they stayed hooked up all the way through the movie. confused.gif

Thanks
Roger

post #832 of 1065 Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That isn't teh case. The device to pick it up is taped right to the front of the projector; all led indicators are green.
After posting above: the glasses went off, I turned them back on, and they stayed hooked up all the way through the movie. confused.gif

I would move it around a little if it keeps happening. Could be some weird reflection interfering with it. Also keep the rf emitter away from the projector...maybe the projector is emitting EMI that is interfering. Just moving the rf emitter may solve the intermittent problem.
post #833 of 1065 Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would move it around a little if it keeps happening. Could be some weird reflection interfering with it. Also keep the rf emitter away from the projector...maybe the projector is emitting EMI that is interfering. Just moving the rf emitter may solve the intermittent problem.

Ok. If it continues, I'll try moving it. I put it on the projector with sticky tape because the instructions said that is thte best thing to do to maintain a solid connection.

Thanks
Roger

post #834 of 1065 Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also the IR receiver plug is VERY hard to get fully seated in the RF receiver jack. Many have reported inserting it almost thinking they were going to break something for the force required. Be careful though, but check that to be sure it's fully in.
post #835 of 1065 Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Also the IR receiver plug is VERY hard to get fully seated in the RF receiver jack. Many have reported inserting it almost thinking they were going to break something for the force required. Be careful though, but check that to be sure it's fully in.

That is true. Seems like it doesn't belong in that port.

What I am finding is that if I change from watching a Blue Ray to Dish; there is several seconds of pause while it all switches over via the Onkyo receiver. During that few seconds, the glasses lose 3D connection (even if I have the projector to do 2D-3D conversion). They seem to not be able to re-establish connection until they go off. So, after 30 seconds or so the flashing stops, meaning the glasses are off, and I can turn them back on and it will hook up.

I am also finding the glasses difficult to even turn on. Seems as though I have to press the button a specific way. I've seen complaints about the button being hard to push. But I think you need to press in a specific area on the button. At least that is what it seems like. Sometimes I have to try multiple presses in different ways (ie different point of pressure; different length of press) before the come on. Based on the complaints I've seen, I am presuming this is pretty much normal for the Monsters.

I'm thinking I should look into some other brands. I like the RF though, so I guess that leaves VIP (hardly anybody sells these), and Optoma.

Thanks
Roger

post #836 of 1065 Old 08-28-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did try measuring components on the boards and the device I used did not point to any one component. The circuit itself changes the values too much to be able to find the exact component. I do see changes between the two. I would have to pull components off the cards and compare. I may still try a couple that I suspect might be at fault.
post #837 of 1065 Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 267
There was mention of a resistor with the wrong value. Anything look like it might be the culprit?

Max
post #838 of 1065 Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

There was mention of a resistor with the wrong value. Anything look like it might be the culprit?
Max

That's what I originally heard too but then someone said it was a Cap. I see two caps that are a different color between the two boards. I have an auto measuring device that does resistance and capacitance. The numbers were different but different in a lot of places.

Next chance I have I will try pulling a couple resistors near what looks like the charging circuit or regulator. I emailed the VP of Bit Cauldron who I had spoken to in the past but he isn't responding to me.
post #839 of 1065 Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

That's what I originally heard too but then someone said it was a Cap. I see two caps that are a different color between the two boards. I have an auto measuring device that does resistance and capacitance. The numbers were different but different in a lot of places.
Next chance I have I will try pulling a couple resistors near what looks like the charging circuit or regulator. I emailed the VP of Bit Cauldron who I had spoken to in the past but he isn't responding to me.

When I spoke to the primary engineer at BC who was working on that issue back then, he reported there was an incorrect value resistor installed in the charging circuit. He doesn't answer his emails this year, so I assume he is no longer there.
post #840 of 1065 Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 267
BTW Ronomy,

Any photos of the innards of the glasses?

Max
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Monster Vision Max Active 3d Glasses

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page