AVS Forum banner

Official Monster Vision Max 3D Thread

166K views 1K replies 211 participants last post by  shunja 
#1 ·
I think these glasses deserve their own thread...

Just hooked up my pair and I must say they not only are a lighter shade

but they add more pop to the 3D image.

I like how you can fine tune the image and essentially tune down ghosting as much as possible. I am using the glasses on a 63" Samsung Plasma from about 10 feet away and its obvious they work much better than the Samsung glasses that I received with MVA kit.

It seems like the samsung glasses were never really tuned into the signal as clearly as the monsters are. The 3d is much more in your face.

The major benefit from these glasses is that they never go out of sync! The samsung's would do this constantly and it drove me nuts. The tape cure never worked for me. Its nice to finally get the full 3D from this TV.

Please share your questions, opinions and reviews

Website Click Here

See less See more
#828 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22341745

Good Luck. Let's see, how many days is that...and have you used the glasses?

Only powered on both pair to check battery levels. Its been 13 days.

I tried contacting Bit Cauldron and an auto response came to me from the VP of the company saying my response was received but he never replied back about where the wrong component is.

#829 ·
Just got my first pair Monster's. I'm not sure they are working right.

I had a hard time getting them going, likely due to the learning curve. But I finally did. but here is what I experienced now:

Played the final bit of a movie (after not watching much while trying to get it working/synched, etc). So I wanted to start it over. I stopped the movie, red light on glasses started flashing. Restarted it, selected to play in 3D. Green lights on the controller are solid, and all lit. But the glasses just keeps flashing red, and not picking up.

Then after a while the light stopped. So I pressed the button and turned them back on, and they synched. Started watching movie, and in about 5 min, they started blinking again.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

#830 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22342439

Just got my first pair Monster's. I'm not sure they are working right.

I had a hard time getting them going, likely due to the learning curve. But I finally did. but here is what I experienced now:

Played the final bit of a movie (after not watching much while trying to get it working/synched, etc). So I wanted to start it over. I stopped the movie, red light on glasses started flashing. Restarted it, selected to play in 3D. Green lights on the controller are solid, and all lit. But the glasses just keeps flashing red, and not picking up.

Then after a while the light stopped. So I pressed the button and turned them back on, and they synched. Started watching movie, and in about 5 min, they started blinking again.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Sounds like the IR is not being picked up to well from the projector.

#831 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22344012

Sounds like the IR is not being picked up to well from the projector.

That isn't teh case. The device to pick it up is taped right to the front of the projector; all led indicators are green.

After posting above: the glasses went off, I turned them back on, and they stayed hooked up all the way through the movie.

#832 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22344126

That isn't teh case. The device to pick it up is taped right to the front of the projector; all led indicators are green.

After posting above: the glasses went off, I turned them back on, and they stayed hooked up all the way through the movie.

I would move it around a little if it keeps happening. Could be some weird reflection interfering with it. Also keep the rf emitter away from the projector...maybe the projector is emitting EMI that is interfering. Just moving the rf emitter may solve the intermittent problem.

#833 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22344194

I would move it around a little if it keeps happening. Could be some weird reflection interfering with it. Also keep the rf emitter away from the projector...maybe the projector is emitting EMI that is interfering. Just moving the rf emitter may solve the intermittent problem.

Ok. If it continues, I'll try moving it. I put it on the projector with sticky tape because the instructions said that is thte best thing to do to maintain a solid connection.

#835 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22345072

Also the IR receiver plug is VERY hard to get fully seated in the RF receiver jack. Many have reported inserting it almost thinking they were going to break something for the force required. Be careful though, but check that to be sure it's fully in.

That is true. Seems like it doesn't belong in that port.

What I am finding is that if I change from watching a Blue Ray to Dish; there is several seconds of pause while it all switches over via the Onkyo receiver. During that few seconds, the glasses lose 3D connection (even if I have the projector to do 2D-3D conversion). They seem to not be able to re-establish connection until they go off. So, after 30 seconds or so the flashing stops, meaning the glasses are off, and I can turn them back on and it will hook up.

I am also finding the glasses difficult to even turn on. Seems as though I have to press the button a specific way. I've seen complaints about the button being hard to push. But I think you need to press in a specific area on the button. At least that is what it seems like. Sometimes I have to try multiple presses in different ways (ie different point of pressure; different length of press) before the come on. Based on the complaints I've seen, I am presuming this is pretty much normal for the Monsters.

I'm thinking I should look into some other brands. I like the RF though, so I guess that leaves VIP (hardly anybody sells these), and Optoma.

#836 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22341464

Update 4: finally the newer monster glasses are quickly flashing 6 times to the Optima 3 slow flashes. So the battery swap says the problem is the circuit board in the Monster glasses. I will bring both to work and try to figure out what is different.

I did try measuring components on the boards and the device I used did not point to any one component. The circuit itself changes the values too much to be able to find the exact component. I do see changes between the two. I would have to pull components off the cards and compare. I may still try a couple that I suspect might be at fault.

#838 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22352194

There was mention of a resistor with the wrong value. Anything look like it might be the culprit?

Max

That's what I originally heard too but then someone said it was a Cap. I see two caps that are a different color between the two boards. I have an auto measuring device that does resistance and capacitance. The numbers were different but different in a lot of places.

Next chance I have I will try pulling a couple resistors near what looks like the charging circuit or regulator. I emailed the VP of Bit Cauldron who I had spoken to in the past but he isn't responding to me.

#839 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22352238

That's what I originally heard too but then someone said it was a Cap. I see two caps that are a different color between the two boards. I have an auto measuring device that does resistance and capacitance. The numbers were different but different in a lot of places.

Next chance I have I will try pulling a couple resistors near what looks like the charging circuit or regulator. I emailed the VP of Bit Cauldron who I had spoken to in the past but he isn't responding to me.

When I spoke to the primary engineer at BC who was working on that issue back then, he reported there was an incorrect value resistor installed in the charging circuit. He doesn't answer his emails this year, so I assume he is no longer there.

#841 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/810#post_22357638

BTW Ronomy,

Any photos of the innards of the glasses?

Max

No I didn't take any but the ribbon cable is very short so not easy to see under the side panel and I can't figure out how to get the pin out of the ear paddle to allow removal of the cover. So getting a good picture will not be easy. I have been busy in work the last few days and not any time to work on it. I will focus on the resistors on the charge circuit and see what I can find. They are on the underside of the board.

#842 ·
Question about 3d Max's and losing signal.

I watched Captain America tonight, which is a conversion, and a lot of it could be watched without glasses fine. The pair of glasses I was wearing seemed to lose signal: started flashing the red light. Would not connect back up unless think the pressed the on button while it was flashing, in which case it would hook back up. After that happening a couple times, I tried a different pair, and it did not happen.

Curious what your thoughts are related to this type of experience.

BTW...I think the pair that started flashing, which I got this week, may have been returns or refurbs. They were not shrink wrapped. I'm planning on returning them. but still curious about this type of experience.

#846 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/150#post_20963040

it's a shame there is no way to adjust in real time, but it is nice they put in the switch left/right lense for those having issues.

I am using these on my Sony HW30 projector and have been able to tune ghosting to nearly non-existence.

Pleeeease can you let me know which settings worked for you?

I imported 6 pairs of Monster glasses from the US to UK for my Sony HW30 after reading how well you got on with the same setup, but I'm struggling to find the best settings myself.

#847 ·
I also have a HW30 and use the MV glasses.

I have found that the amount of ghosting visible through the glasses greatly depends on the pitch of the glasses in relation to the screen. IOW if the lenses surface is parallel to the screen surface and the glasses have been well tuned you should be able to eliminate most all the crosstalk. But if you tend to watch with a lot of head tilt so the lenses are not parallel to screen the glasses LCD when closed allow much more light through so crosstalk is more visible. So I either keep my head more straight on at the screen or I tilt the glasses a little forward on my head.

#848 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita  /t/1322752/official-monster-vision-max-3d-thread/840#post_22436312

I also have a HW30 and use the MV glasses.

I have found that the amount of ghosting visible through the glasses greatly depends on the pitch of the glasses in relation to the screen. IOW if the lenses surface is parallel to the screen surface and the glasses have been well tuned you should be able to eliminate most all the crosstalk. But if you tend to watch with a lot of head tilt so the lenses are not parallel to screen the glasses LCD when closed allow much more light through so crosstalk is more visible. So I either keep my head more straight on at the screen or I tilt the glasses a little forward on my head.

I can also confirm this. Subtle, not a deal breaker but it is there.

#849 ·
OK, that's useful to know, thanks.

Would either of you be able to share the settings you use please, both on the MVs and the HW30, or do you just use the defaults?

I've tried different settings but the picture I see has so much crosstalk I wonder if something's wrong with my projector - I can't get anywhere near zombie's results - I can see the main picture and the same picture to the left / right, about 20% as bright. I'm now even thinking of trying out different cables and considering buying a dedicated 3D bluray player rather than relying on the PS3, but can't see it making much difference.

Or maybe my eyes are just particularly sensitive to crosstalk?

#852 ·
Anyone else swapped their MV3D glasses for the new 3dNow! model (3dn-6000)? I shipped 4 MV3D kits from the States, to the UK, when I got my VW95ES late last year, and two of them failed to hold charge. Recently I screened a 3d movie with some friends recently and ended up running in and out attempting to charge and sync the MV3D glasses which spoiled things somewhat, which ultimately triggered me ordering 4 (+emitter) of the new model.

So far, no issues. Haven't put the newest emitter in or had a tweak (as they are backward compatible, my old emitter which I setup using a laptop works fine w/ the new glasses once paired) so I'll focus on the glasses themselves. They are noticeably lighter, all of them charge properly and there is no buzzing when they are on. The charging port is now on the top of the glasses, with the led and power button on the bottom right. Holding the power button for 2 seconds when they are already on switches polarity.

So far, I'm very happy with my purchase. It fixed my problems, with minimal upheaval, and has some fringe benefits as noticed.

I'll report back once I've tried/tweaked the new emitter and used the glasses a bit more.

CDJay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.