post #121 of 1055 Old 07-20-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post
Can you reverse the sync on these glasses so that they can be used at the same time as DLP link glasses? Regular IR glasses tend to use the reversed sync from DLP. I figured perhaps the Monster RF adapter has a switch to reverse the sync. Samsung 67A750 DLP.
Yes. Although the procedure to reverse sync at the transmitter by pushing down on the joystick control is a PITA, it can be done. Easier is by connecting the transmitter to a PC or laptop via USB and using the Monster PC utility to reverse sync simply by clicking on a radio button then saving the setting. I have VIP's RF glasses which are rebadged Bit Cauldron glasses-as are the Monster 3D ones-and the procedure is the same for both.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1055 Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Yes. Although the procedure to reverse sync at the transmitter by pushing down on the joystick control is a PITA, it can be done. Easier is by connecting the transmitter to a PC or laptop via USB and using the Monster PC utility to reverse sync simply by clicking on a radio button then saving the setting. I have VIP's RF glasses which are rebadged Bit Cauldron glasses-as are the Monster 3D ones-and the procedure is the same for both.
Cool. The monster glasses are currently priced under the VIP glasses now on Amazon. 179 and 129, for kit and glasses, respectively.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #123 of 1055 Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool. The monster glasses are currently priced under the VIP glasses now on Amazon. 179 and 129, for kit and glasses, respectively.

Well, I picked some up at BB, their online price is same as Amazon's so they matched, but unfortunately, they don't seem to work. Everything hooked up correctly, transmitter lights turn green indicating 3D signal when I turn on 3D on the TV, but when I do that, the glasses just get dark, and I can clearly see both images. Tried it in mode 1 and mode 2. I also tried connecting the transmitter to my laptop and changing the left/right on there. No difference. Definitely disappointed, I thought these would be my uber pair for gaming, and the DLP-link could be for the kids and their friends... I'll wait till I get my Optoma's tomorrow to make sure it's not the TV, but if they work fine, I'll be taking these back.

post #124 of 1055 Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange. According to Bit Cauldron, who makes the glasses, they can be used with any DLP that has a 3D sync output port. See Post #7: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1347970

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #125 of 1055 Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Strange. According to Bit Cauldron, who makes the glasses, they can be used with any DLP that has a 3D sync output port. See Post #7: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1347970

Yeah, and they seem to be intended to work. The RF transmitter pairs right up and goes green when I put the TV in 3D mode. I figure I just got a defective set of glasses. They're the only pair I have so far though, so now way to test other aspects of the system till I get the Optomas tonight.

Is the power button pretty difficult to push in on your's? Mine takes about 4 or 5 tries till I finally get the light to come on. There's almost no tactile feel that it's actually being pressed, like a click or anything.

post #126 of 1055 Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Is the power button pretty difficult to push in on your's? Mine takes about 4 or 5 tries till I finally get the light to come on. There's almost no tactile feel that it's actually being pressed, like a click or anything.

Yes, I have 4 pairs of glasses and the button doesn't give much tactile feedback on any of them. The LED confirms power on.
post #127 of 1055 Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgang View Post

Yes, I have 4 pairs of glasses and the button doesn't give much tactile feedback on any of them. The LED confirms power on.

Well, I got my DLP-link glasses and the TV itself is working fine. The adapter for the Monsters, plugged into the 3D-Sync port on my TV, paired up fine, turned green when I put it into 3D mode, but the glasses when turned on just went almost black in both eyes and the L and R images were both clearly visible. Reversed mode on the TV, no change. DLP-link glasses worked fine. They looked great actually and were really comfortable and not quite as goofy-looking as the Monsters (who designs these things anyway? It's not just Monster, all the first-gen glasses looked like they were designed by a not particularly creative six-year old) so back to BB the Monsters went. I think it was just a defective pair, and I'm sure another pair would have worked great, but I had already spent enough time troubleshooting the first pair, and considering the other glasses work out to about 1/3 the cost for four pairs (compared to kit + 3 glasses for Monster), I can't justify the extra expense. If they had worked and had a noticeable improvement in PQ, I would have used them, despite them being slightly less comfortable, heavier, bulkier, and more expensive.

post #128 of 1055 Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgang View Post

yes, i have 4 pairs of glasses and the button doesn't give much tactile feedback on any of them. The led confirms power on.

+1.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #129 of 1055 Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 PM

I have both the Ultra Clear Glasses with emitter and the Monster Vision Glasses. The Monster Visions are a tad brighter with slightly larger lenses. I like them both but I'm still not sure the Monster Vision glasses are worth 4 to 5 times more $$ than the Ultra Clears. However, if money is not an issue, I would highly recommend Monster Vision.
As for customer service, I had good experiences with Monster Vision and with Carl at Ultra Clear (3D Heaven). I had problems with the first pairs shipped to me from both companies. In both cases, I was able to reach someone on the phone within a few minutes and they were quick to offer replacements.
One other thing about the Monster Vision Glasses. When using the transmitter's joystick to play with the fine tuning, it's very easy to severely screw them up. Unless you're a real techie, I would advise against playing with the fine tuning. Also, don't bother trying the firmware 'update' procedure. There are no updates and according to the person I spoke to at Monster Cable in California, unless a severe previously unnoticed glitch is found, Bit Cauldron will probably just introduce new improved models rather than work on updates to this model.
Also, I noticed a company that sells, what appear to be the Monster Vision Glasses under a different brand name for $50 less. I would imagine that Monster Cable Co does not have exclusive rights from Bit Cauldron.
post #130 of 1055 Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardhealer View Post

I have both the Ultra Clear Glasses with emitter and the Monster Vision Glasses. The Monster Visions are a tad brighter with slightly larger lenses. I like them both but I'm still not sure the Monster Vision glasses are worth 4 to 5 times more $$ than the Ultra Clears. However, if money is not an issue, I would highly recommend Monster Vision.
As for customer service, I had good experiences with Monster Vision and with Carl at Ultra Clear (3D Heaven). I had problems with the first pairs shipped to me from both companies. In both cases, I was able to reach someone on the phone within a few minutes and they were quick to offer replacements.
One other thing about the Monster Vision Glasses. When using the transmitter's joystick to play with the fine tuning, it's very easy to severely screw them up. Unless you're a real techie, I would advise against playing with the fine tuning. Also, don't bother trying the firmware 'update' procedure. There are no updates and according to the person I spoke to at Monster Cable in California, unless a severe previously unnoticed glitch is found, Bit Cauldron will probably just introduce new improved models rather than work on updates to this model.
Also, I noticed a company that sells, what appear to be the Monster Vision Glasses under a different brand name for $50 less. I would imagine that Monster Cable Co does not have exclusive rights from Bit Cauldron.

There is an update. It just doesn't come as a separate file. When you install the Monster PC utility, it unpacks a firmware update along with the rest of the files needed for the utility. All you have to do is select the utility's "Upgrade" tab and follow the prompts.

This distribution method leads me to believe that any future firmware updates will also include the PC utility (which will itself have been upgraded as needed).

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #131 of 1055 Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
The glasses are also sold through consignia and VIP, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Be aware that those oem sales (geared toward use with the VIP products) may not include the IR receiver attachment.
post #132 of 1055 Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone else have any trouble getting these to work with a 3DTV via the IR receiver? Have a Samsung series 7 LED and it works fine via Samsung or 3DTV.com universal IR glasses, so I know the 3d is on and working. I read in the manual where the IR shutter signal emits from (lower left corner) and can even see it blinking a red led down there, but every time I plug in the Monster IR receiver and RF dongle, no matter if I place it close, right over the spot, or nearby, the red lights on the dongle keep sweeping band and forth looking for a sync signal. I even got a second kit in case there was a defect, but same thing. Any ideas? Tv and source (ps3) are in 3D mode and work w/ the IR glasses.
post #133 of 1055 Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Can anyone link me to cheaper compatible glasses for the monstervision transmitter? I have one of them from Monster but do not want to pay another $130.

Thanks!
post #134 of 1055 Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2011 View Post

Can anyone link me to cheaper compatible glasses for the monstervision transmitter? I have one of them from Monster but do not want to pay another $130.

Thanks!

Google "3D RF glasses", and you should come up with some alternatives to look into.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #135 of 1055 Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Google "3D RF glasses", and you should come up with some alternatives to look into.
I would think only Bit Cauldron glasses would work and that means either Monster or 3D-Vip,... unless there's stuff that I don't know which is always possible.

There are some "premium" active shutter Vizio glasses on clearance at my BJ's club and I wonder about them. I thought Vizio was mostly on the passive 3D side. Either way... those glasses look pretty "yellow" and I don't think anyone makes glasses as nice as the Bit Cauldron model.

-Brian
post #136 of 1055 Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I have seen another source of RF glasses on the 'net, Brian. But they were from a major 2nd-tier display manufacturer, and I would be very surprised if they would be able to sync with a 60 Hz signal.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #137 of 1055 Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
There is an update. It just doesn't come as a separate file. When you install the Monster PC utility, it unpacks a firmware update along with the rest of the files needed for the utility. All you have to do is select the utility's "Upgrade" tab and follow the prompts.

This distribution method leads me to believe that any future firmware updates will also include the PC utility (which will itself have been upgraded as needed).
I insalled the utility on the PC, but there was no updated firmware included. Also, the firmware I dwnloaded from Monster did not appear exactly the same as pictured in their instructions and the update button would not perform an update. It wasn't a problem with my PC because I tried it also on a friend's PC with the same negative results.

In any case, just what improvements or bug fixes are in this firmware update?
post #138 of 1055 Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Amazon now has the MonsterVision 3D Glasses full kit with transmitter an all (Actual Monster Brand, not VIP-3D), for only $175 w/ free shipping and they list Monster as the seller, not some third party. I feel cheated since I purchased mine just recently for $250. Its been over 30 days, though, so I guess I'm stuck for the extra $75
post #139 of 1055 Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
J&R has the new Optoma branded RF 3D glasses w/emitter on preorder for $79.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post24741865
post #140 of 1055 Old 08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Are the optima glasses rebranded bit cauldron too?

Edit I looked them up and saw dlp-link glasses with no mention of rf or emitter. Doesn't look comparable to the monster product at all.
post #141 of 1055 Old 08-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I insalled the utility on the PC, but there was no updated firmware included. Also, the firmware I dwnloaded from Monster did not appear exactly the same as pictured in their instructions and the update button would not perform an update. It wasn't a problem with my PC because I tried it also on a friend's PC with the same negative results.

In any case, just what improvements or bug fixes are in this firmware update?

It didn't update because there is no update for the Monstervision glasses. It just reports what version is already there which is the same.
post #142 of 1055 Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Are the optima glasses rebranded bit cauldron too?

Edit I looked them up and saw dlp-link glasses with no mention of rf or emitter. Doesn't look comparable to the monster product at all.

Look like Bit Cauldron to me.

BG-3DRFSYSTEM

http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/BG-3DRFSYSTEM
post #143 of 1055 Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, that's great then. I searched j and r and that's not what I saw for $79

Edit- I see those elsewhere online for $99 with the emitter which is half what 3D-VIP charges and less than half what Monster charges.
post #144 of 1055 Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Hey, guys, is there a good soul among you to help me connect the Monster 3D glasses to my JVC RS-40 so that they would work together with my JVC glasses? I heard there is a way to use the IR/RF converter to catch the IR signal from the JVC emitter and convert it to RF to be used by the Monster glasses. Is that possible at all? If so, where should I connect all the glasses accessories to make it work? I'm lost as the son of a whore in a Father's Day!
Thanks a bunch --
Helcio
post #145 of 1055 Old 08-27-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho View Post

Hey, guys, is there a good soul among you to help me connect the Monster 3D glasses to my JVC RS-40 so that they would work together with my JVC glasses? I heard there is a way to use the IR/RF converter to catch the IR signal from the JVC emitter and convert it to RF to be used by the Monster glasses. Is that possible at all? If so, where should I connect all the glasses accessories to make it work? I'm lost as the son of a whore in a Father's Day!
Thanks a bunch --
Helcio

p. 18 in the manual... the port labeled (6) 3D Synchro.

Looks like a standard VESA port, should hook up directly to the Monster emitter.

If you want to use IR & RF glasses together, you'll have to use the IR receiver block that comes with the monster, and place it in front of your jvc emitter to catch the ir signals.
post #146 of 1055 Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

Thanks a bunch --
Helcio

Unfortunately, the IR receiver with the Monster Vision 3D kit DOES NOT work with the JVC emitter.

I was also in the same situation where I wanted to use my JVC glasses along with the Monster Vision 3D glasses. I ordered a few cheap 3 pin DIN extenders from the internet and made a 'splitter' cable that works perfect so I can use the JVC IR emitter & Monster Vision @ the same time. No issues for about a month now.

post #147 of 1055 Old 08-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Zombie, I can't thank you enought for the tip! One more thing, if I may -- where should I place the MOnster emitter once it is connected to the projector via splitter -- can it be side by side with the JVC emitter on top of the PJ? And how do I synch Monster glasses to emitter or is automatic once the glasses are on?
Man, honest to God, you saved my butt -- I was about to return the glasses!
Thanks a gazillion --
Helcio
post #148 of 1055 Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zombie, I can't thank you enought for the tip! One more thing, if I may -- where should I place the MOnster emitter once it is connected to the projector via splitter -- can it be side by side with the JVC emitter on top of the PJ? And how do I synch Monster glasses to emitter or is automatic once the glasses are on?
Man, honest to God, you saved my butt -- I was about to return the glasses!
Thanks a gazillion --
Helcio

Hi, they can be placed side by side no problem since one is IR and the other is RF. Once the monster vision emitter sees the 3d signal it should go all green indicating its ready to sync to the glasses.

I will find the place I bought the cables from to cut up and splice, there aren't too many places that sell them. I'll post the links as soon as I find it.
post #149 of 1055 Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks yet again. But the Monter glasses and converter synch is automatic, right?
post #150 of 1055 Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks yet again. But the Monter glasses and converter synch is automatic, right?
correct. I just used this combo the other night, it works perfect.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Monster Vision Max Active 3d Glasses

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page