Official Monster Vision Max 3D Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks again, Zombie. Now, did you find the place you bought the cabele an extenders from? I managed to buy the 3 pin DIN (m and f) from http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/26500-26.HTM
-- I mean, there were a number of them, just hope I got the right ones -- but I thought the cable would be a generic one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Hey, Jason -- need your help yet again. I am still waiting for the extenders to make the splitter, so last night I plugged the Monster RF emitter directly to my RS-40 -- to see the Monster glasses in action. I placed the emiter on top of my PJ (fixed on the ceiling). Chedked its lights -- all green. I sat back, turned on the charged glasses -- and could not get the 3D effect. Soimething was happning -- at first I thought it was the 3D effect, but then I realized it wasn't. It was an effect, but not 3D.
Any idea what I might've done wrong?
Thanks --
Helcio
Old 09-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho View Post

Hey, Jason -- need your help yet again. I am still waiting for the extenders to make the splitter, so last night I plugged the Monster RF emitter directly to my RS-40 -- to see the Monster glasses in action. I placed the emiter on top of my PJ (fixed on the ceiling). Chedked its lights -- all green. I sat back, turned on the charged glasses -- and could not get the 3D effect. Soimething was happning -- at first I thought it was the 3D effect, but then I realized it wasn't. It was an effect, but not 3D.
Thanks --
Helcio

Wrong polarity, see manual page 9.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks --
Helcio

Quick check by wearing glasses upside down. If 3d effect is now correct, your polarity is reversed.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks for stepping in, guys. Jeez -- I feel like a complete dumbass. Turned the glasses upside down -- nothing. Tried to fiddle with the joystick (to the the left, to the right, up and down) -- nothing. Maybe I need to pair the freaking thing with the glasses -- but I'm not seeing how. Damn, do I feel like a moron!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I'm cross-posting this on the Monster Max and VIP product threads. There have been numerous posts dealing with the less-than-ideal sync (L/R) invert feature for the rf emitter, and I've come up with an easy way to do it, literally at the touch of a button... without getting out of your seat! This method does require that the emitter be hooked up to a running pc; I use my music server, but a small laptop or netbook will suffice.

Here's what you do:

- Install the Bit Cauldron/Monster Max management utility, and hook up the emitter via usb.

- Purchase this inexpensive wireless usb remote and plug the usb receiver into the same computer as the emitter.

- Assign a shortcut key (e.g. Ctrl + Alt + A) to the management utility's shortcut that coincides with one of the remote's hotkeys (e.g. Hotkey A). (In windows XP: Right-click > Properties > Shortcut tab > Shortcut Key.)

- Press the following button sequence on the usb remote, or (even better) program it into your universal remote:

Hotkey A,
tab,
tab,
tab,
tab,
tab,
enter,
enter.

If programing a macro on a universal remote, you may need to account for some lag between commands.

Presto! Now, when you hit the button that activates the macro, the pc will automatically open the Bit Cauldron utility, select the "Switch Left/Right Lenses" button, and exit. While viewing 3D content, the left & right views should switch on screen a moment later.

The only drawbacks I've found are (1) the need to have a pc turned on & hooked up to the emitter (but I don't find this to be a problem, since my music server is adjacent to my HT gear and I already have it running while my system is on); and (2) depending on your computer, it may take a second or two to execute the commands (especially the hotkey that opens the utility). But the advantages include remote control of the sync invert function, and never having to mess with that awful toggle switch again!

Hope I was able to help out some others with this tip.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Gee...'preciate your efforts, Bard, but honest to God... this seems for an initiate, now a simple mortal like yours tryuly. Way too complicated for my small shrivelled brain. Why in the friggin' hell they don't make these friggin' things less complicated?!? For cryng out loud -- to me, it's rocket science, no less! Isse my chance of using those glasses farther and farther away...
Old 09-06-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gee...'preciate your efforts, Bard, but honest to God... this seems for an initiate, now a simple mortal like yours tryuly. Way too complicated for my small shrivelled brain. Why in the friggin' hell they don't make these friggin' things less complicated?!? For cryng out loud -- to me, it's rocket science, no less! Isse my chance of using those glasses farther and farther away...

It's not that tough... the remote doesn't even require software. You just plug it in & you can control any pc with a usb port. So all you're really doing is sending the commands to the emitter software to invert the sync.

That said, it would have been really nice if Bit Cauldron had built remote control into their emitter.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Well... I'll give it a try. But I don't think the problem is polarity, as I turned the glasses upside down and it didn't change a thing. The image is kinda funny... there seems to be a depth of some sort... but not the 3D depth we're used to. Things in the background seem to be in the foreground, plus funny ghosts... real weird. Bummer -- the glasses are MUCH more comfy than JVC's -- and lenses seem lighter too. Wish there was a Monster pundit down here in Brazil to make it work for me -- I'd gladly pay for the service!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well... I'll give it a try. But I don't think the problem is polarity, as I turned the glasses upside down and it didn't change a thing. The image is kinda funny... there seems to be a depth of some sort... but not the 3D depth we're used to. Things in the background seem to be in the foreground, plus funny ghosts... real weird. Bummer -- the glasses are MUCH more comfy than JVC's -- and lenses seem lighter too. Wish there was a Monster pundit down here in Brazil to make it work for me -- I'd gladly pay for the service!

Have you adjusted the delay & duty cycle of the emitter? They are rarely optimal out of the box.

The remote solution I mentioned above has nothing to do with those parameters, so check the Monster manual & adjust the emitter first (either directly or via the usb software utility).
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM

I'll check the manual for delay and duty cycle... but what is the this USB software utility you talk about? Does it come with the glasses? Once again, the freaking glasses should be more user friendly... a plug-and-play thing would be nice.
Thanks a lot for your helping hand...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll check the manual for delay and duty cycle... but what is the this USB software utility you talk about? Does it come with the glasses? Once again, the freaking glasses should be more user friendly... a plug-and-play thing would be nice.
Thanks a lot for your helping hand...
The utility is available here. It duplicates all the emitter's toggle functions in software, so you don't really need it... but it makes it easier to adjust the settings.

Delay = time between sync signal & when lens opens.
Duty cycle = how long lens stays open each time.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Many thanks for going the distance to helpe me out. I'll give it a try.
Helcio
Old 09-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Guys, what is the final verdict on the monster glasses? I have a Samsumg PNC8000 and am trying to decide between the monster or the samsung rechargeables. Only concerned about quality and not price. Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny677 View Post

Guys, what is the final verdict on the monster glasses? I have a Samsumg PNC8000 and am trying to decide between the monster or the samsung rechargeables. Only concerned about quality and not price. Thanks

Final verdict for me is they are a keeper.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Ok, I just picked up a pair of these to use with my Optoma HD33 projector. Call me stupid, but im a little dumbfounded about the charging procedure on these. When you plug them in to a USB port.. Nothing happens.. The led does not illuminate or pulse or flash.. is this whats supposed to happen? The manual makes it sound like it should be illuminated in some way.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzbear View Post

Ok, I just picked up a pair of these to use with my Optoma HD33 projector. Call me stupid, but im a little dumbfounded about the charging procedure on these. When you plug them in to a USB port.. Nothing happens.. The led does not illuminate or pulse or flash.. is this whats supposed to happen? The manual makes it sound like it should be illuminated in some way.

Are you using the usb port on a computer, or a wall adapter? I think most have had a more reliable charge using a usb to AC adapter (like the kind used for cell phones).
Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pressing the power button before use should give you an indication and plugging into a PC USB port they should begin their hearbeat.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

Pressing the power button before use should give you an indication and plugging into a PC USB port they should begin their hearbeat.

\\

So, just plugging it in they do nothing? If i plug mine in..either through the computer or through my iphone charger they give no indication of charging. if I push the power button while plugged in they will beat for a few minutes than stop
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Any other comments vs the samsung rechargeables?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

The Monsters are worth the extra money. I would buy them again
Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

The utility is available here. It duplicates all the emitter's toggle functions in software, so you don't really need it... but it makes it easier to adjust the settings.

Delay = time between sync signal & when lens opens.
Duty cycle = how long lens stays open each time.

it's a shame there is no way to adjust in real time, but it is nice they put in the switch left/right lense for those having issues.

I am using these on my Sony HW30 projector and have been able to tune ghosting to nearly non-existence.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it's a shame there is no way to adjust in real time, but it is nice they put in the switch left/right lense for those having issues.

Yeah, remote control functionality really should have been built-in (or at least an option) with the many features included on this emitter.

But as I outlined in my earlier post, a cheap pc remote does the trick for me. I hit one button, and about two seconds later polarity switches, on the fly.

For me, it's much easier than dealing with the emitter's toggle switch.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

\\

So, just plugging it in they do nothing? If i plug mine in..either through the computer or through my iphone charger they give no indication of charging. if I push the power button while plugged in they will beat for a few minutes than stop

After you pressed the power button, how many flashes did you count
before they resumed steady beat and timed out after five minutes?

If the transmitter is not operating they will timeout after 5.

Unfortunately the manual and charge indicator is kinda weak in it's reporting mechanism. See Pages 14 and 15 of the BC5100 users manual.

Main thing is if they are not holding charge then they may be from the group that had the incorrect charging resistor installed.

There are plenty of threads regarding that in the VIP3D Theater and Displayer group threads.

Haven't heard of Monstervision owners receiving any of those as yet.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I agree. These are not made for non-techies. Even the terminology such as current frequency, delay and duty cycle mean nothing to me...might as well be a foreign language. My first pair didn't seem to work properly and adjusting them with the toggle switch or the software was over my head. The manual was no help since I didn't understand the terminology. I only succeeded in making the problem worse. Luckily, Monster's customer service was very cooperative. They sent me a postage paid return label and the new pair arrived 10 days later. They worked perfectly right out of the box.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

After you pressed the power button, how many flashes did you count
before they resumed steady beat and timed out after five minutes?

If the transmitter is not operating they will timeout after 5.

Unfortunately the manual and charge indicator is kinda weak in it's reporting mechanism. See Pages 14 and 15 of the BC5100 users manual.

Main thing is if they are not holding charge then they may be from the group that had the incorrect charging resistor installed.

There are plenty of threads regarding that in the VIP3D Theater and Displayer group threads.

Haven't heard of Monstervision owners receiving any of those as yet.

where can download the BC5100 users manual?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 AM

Well after leaving them plugged in for a few hours, the led did finally start to pulse. It was just confusing as the manual makes it sound like the pulsing should begin as soon as the glasses are plugged in.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Well after leaving them plugged in for a few hours, the led did finally start to pulse. It was just confusing as the manual makes it sound like the pulsing should begin as soon as the glasses are plugged in.

The manual is terrible. It must have been written, at best, by someone who never bothered to use the glasses or, at worst, by a complete idiot.
The VIP glasses are the same as the MonsterVision glasses. The VIP website has downloads of the software, installation and user manuals. They are much better than the MonsterVision manual. The VIP website is a bit funky and the download links are not normal links. You can't simply download the pdf files. You can only open them in the browser then save them to your HDD. I've never seen that type of setup before.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 AM

If we have the ones with poor charging function. what do we do?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky4565 View Post

If we have the ones with poor charging function. what do we do?

Exchange them. Defective stuff isn't worth having.

Tags
Monster Vision Max Active 3d Glasses