Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 186 Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
R10KYJ - Are the X104s IR, DLP-Link, or RF?
post #33 of 186 Old 10-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post

R10KYJ - Are the X104s IR, DLP-Link, or RF?

Currently IR only, but they will be releasing an add on module later in the year to activate rf & bt.
post #34 of 186 Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

They do exist, the first batch were received by UK dealers on Weds, and have started shipping, so am sure they will appear in the US soon

Can you give us some impressions about the glasses, are they any good? How does the 'tweak' app work? I have big problems with crosstalk, you think it will reduce that issue?
post #35 of 186 Old 11-05-2011, 09:59 AM

I don't guess the "tweak app" is out yet, as I do not find it on the Appstore...
post #36 of 186 Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
For those who would not have seen my post on the Sony VW90ES owners thread:

Guys, finally, after a shipping delay, Fedex delivered my Xpand Youniversals today, right on time for me to review them tonight and over the weekend. Fingers crossed here for an significant performance improvement over the X103s and as stated already by a couple of others in the UK, the Sony's. I also note the Youniversals are now shipping online in the US from online stores according to a poster on the Xpand support forum, within the actual thread complaining about the lack of the app. Very poor form on Xpands part regarding no app, esp after such a delayed product launch. I really hope I don't regret being the guinea pig here and wish I'd have long since instead purchased some MV3D's! Guess tonight's testing will be a start. Anyway, here's the product packaging:

post #37 of 186 Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Awesome, can't wait to hear about them.

The main things I want to know is whether they block out less light when they're on, and whether they reduce crosstalk.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #38 of 186 Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM

I ordered a pair from Projector People last weekend for $79 shipped. There was a $25 discount for blackfriday.
post #39 of 186 Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Awesome, can't wait to hear about them.

The main things I want to know is whether they block out less light when they're on, and whether they reduce crosstalk.

Compared to Sony TDG-PG1's, they def block less light. Of course any system using LCD shutters is going to be prone to some light blocking. Cross talk reduction is as good as anything else I've seen and as expected superior to the X103's. With the absence of the much talked about app, it's hard to say what else can be achieved with fine tuning of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazz View Post

I ordered a pair from Projector People last weekend for $79 shipped. There was a $25 discount for blackfriday.

That's a great price. I knew that I was paying significant premium for early availability from the UK. Mine were 89 pounds each before cost of fedex.

Rather than repost here's my initial impressions on them from weekend view with my VW95:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21288959
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21293342

post #40 of 186 Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys just to add to what has been a much delayed and poorly supplied product roll-out, another disappointing(but hardly surprising) update from the Xpand 3D forums re the X104 tweaking apps. The tech support department finally got off their butts and responded to the complaints re lack of any app form of the much promoted 'multi-platform' tweaking app being available. Sure enough there response was to say it will be between end of Dec and 'the first month of Jan'. Quite pathetic after the products been launched for a month in markets like the UK! Here's the exact quote and my rather blunt response:

Quote:

xpandtechsupport
Thank you for your interest with our XpanD product. In regards to the PC application the link that we have for the x104 youniversal 3d software application should be live around last month of this December or first month of January in this link http://www.xpand.me/products/y.... Please always check our website to keep up with updates that we have for you..

Should you need further assistance kindly give us a call
at 1.888.906.1190 or email us again.

Quote:

Ozhdht
Geez I have to say Xpand, that is extremely poor to pre-promote this product feature and then only promise to that it will be made available well over a month after the product launch. I'm relieved the 3 pairs of X104s I purchased 3 weeks ago work decently enough out of the box with my Sony VW95 projector in the meantime. However, it would have been nice to be able to experiment and customise the adjustable parameters the way Monster Vision 3D owners have been from the time that product came out...

post #41 of 186 Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are the x104's RF compatible? For that to happen to they have to release an RF module?

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #42 of 186 Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Guys just to add to what has been a much delayed and poorly supplied product roll-out, another disappointing(but hardly surprising) update from the Xpand 3D forums re the X104 tweaking apps. The tech support department finally got off their butts and responded to the complaints re lack of any app form of the much promoted 'multi-platform' tweaking app being available. Sure enough there response was to say it will be between end of Dec and 'the first month of Jan'. Quite pathetic after the products been launched for a month in markets like the UK! Here's the exact quote and my rather blunt response:

Lame. Not even considering them until the app is out.

post #43 of 186 Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 AM

They feel and work great on my Sony ex723.
post #44 of 186 Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Are the x104's RF compatible? For that to happen to they have to release an RF module?

I believe the idea is not to have a separate emitter like the MV3Ds, but to potentially work with systems that are already RF enable, same as the BT integration in them. I could be mistaken though...

post #45 of 186 Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I believe the idea is not to have a separate emitter like the MV3Ds, but to potentially work with systems that are already RF enable, same as the BT integration in them. I could be mistaken though...

Ugh, so my Sony HW30 wouldn't be able to use RF with these glasses. Although if you could pair them to an RF signal you may be able to use the MV3D emitter in conjunction with the X104s?

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #46 of 186 Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Ugh, so my Sony HW30 wouldn't be able to use RF with these glasses. Although if you could pair them to an RF signal you may be able to use the MV3D emitter in conjunction with the X104s?

Prob best to try to ask on the Xpand Support forums as to whether they will be making an RF emitter. I would say if they are designed work with exist RF systems, then yes I would think they prob could be made to work with the MV3D emitter.

post #47 of 186 Old 12-17-2011, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
And what happened to DLP-Link capability, as XpanD originally claimed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

I wonder if they will do DLP link.
*Edit*
Oh, yes they will.
http://www.xpandcinema.com/news/67/

Quote:

Available in black, gray and red in male and female sizes, the new YOUNIVERSAL high-end glasses will begin shipping in April 2011 and will communicate with Infrared (IR), Bluetooth (BT), Radio Frequency (RF) and DLP-Link. The smart phone app will initially be available for Apple iPhone™ and Google Android™ platforms.

It sounds like they just renamed the X104 to YOUniversal.
Time to start saving pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

http://www.xpand.me/products/youniversal-3d-glasses/

Quote:

YOUNIVERSAL high-end glasses will begin shipping in April 2011 and will communicate with Infrared (IR), Bluetooth (BT), Radio Frequency (RF) and DLP-Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Looking over the Spec sheet tells me these glasses are primarily IR glasses, but you can buy extension modules (I have no idea what this means) to make the DLP Link and RF.

In other words, yes, they are DLP Link, after you buy an additional accessory.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #48 of 186 Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

And what happened to DLP-Link capability, as XpanD originally claimed?

I'm not sure how DLP link works, but the glasses claim to work on most IR based displays, including DLP 3D. There are a dozen modes to choose from, including Mitsubishi, but it can choose the correct one automatically if 3D is running and you press and hold the button twice. You won't get anything but IR unless you add a module to the end of the earpiece (you can see it in the picture - but it is not available yet), for RF and Bluetooth, an additional cost and won't be here for maybe a couple of months, like the software. Plus, without Bluetooth the software app for adjusting timings won't work unless wired to a computer while watching 3D.

Pros: They do sync just as well as the Panny 3D3's, have the same range (very good) and show identical ghosting if there is any, so they are just as fast and sensitive but yet have more field of view.

Cons: The glasses are slightly dimmer than the Panny 3D3's and they are heavy and pinch behind the ears (large size).
You have to re-sync the glasses every time you use them. The manual says they remember but they don't.
The on/off button is right where you hold the glasses, so you can accidentally turn it off very easily.
The most annoying thing that broke the deal for me is that they reflect light from the rear of the room at the sides, which is distracting. This is in a dark room and the reflectons are from objects in the rear of the room that reflect light from the movie itself. No way to prevent this. It's because the sides of the glasses are not wide enough to block it out. Prescription glasses make it worse.

Sorry I got carried away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 186 Old 12-17-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anyone have any ideas when the 104 glasses will be more widely available in the USA? I notice that Amazon.com doesn't even have a listing for them.
post #50 of 186 Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Anyone have any ideas when the 104 glasses will be more widely available in the USA? I notice that Amazon.com doesn't even have a listing for them.

Projector People.

post #51 of 186 Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

I'm not sure how DLP link works...[snip]

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=DLP-Link

Quote:

Thanks to DLP Link, a special synchronization system built into 3D Ready DLP projectors, the glasses link to the projector without any special emitters or 3rd party transmission devices.

Because the DLP imaging chip is so fast...the DLP chip also sends additional data to the glasses in-between each frame of video.

...This ingenious transmission technique makes data emitters obsolete and eliminates the need to install and position emitters.

http://www.dlp.com/projector/dlp-inn.../dlp-link.aspx

XpanD claimed DLP-Link™ capability for these glasses over a year ago.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #52 of 186 Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=DLP-Link

http://www.dlp.com/projector/dlp-inn.../dlp-link.aspx

XpanD claimed DLP-Link(TM) capability for these glasses over a year ago.

Interesting, so it gets the signal from the screen itself. I assumed DLP link used IR. I wouldn't be surprised if it was false advertising.
I like that first link where it takes you through Google. Pretty cool!
Edit: found the lmgtfy app.

post #53 of 186 Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
These glasses will not work with DLP link according to Xpand.

http://www.xpand.me/support/forum/pr...d-eyewear/110/
post #54 of 186 Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone ordered these yet? If you go to Xpands website, click shop, they are the first item that comes up. Available in large size,in blue, and they are listed for $119. I have been waiting for these to come out. Just wanted to see how these are compared to the 103's?
post #55 of 186 Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

Has anyone ordered these yet? If you go to Xpands website, click shop, they are the first item that comes up. Available in large size,in blue, and they are listed for $119. I have been waiting for these to come out. Just wanted to see how these are compared to the 103's?

Took them long enough! I've hade mine from a UK dealer since 4th Dec and they were available through a few outlets since mid November. If you could take a second and just scroll up this page you'll see the direct links to my initial impressions in the Sony VW95 thread and comparisons to the X103s and current Sony models.

post #56 of 186 Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM

They got them first over in England, so there are some reviews over on the avforums UK site.

I'm holding off until I can see the tweak app is out and I can read the manual. Tunable glasses you cannot tune aren't very interesting.
post #57 of 186 Old 12-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just got an e-mail back from them,and they are available now. You can get them right from Xpands website or here

http://www.projectorpeople.com/acces...=creviews#tabs
post #58 of 186 Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

Just got an e-mail back from them,and they are available now. You can get them right from Xpands website or here

http://www.projectorpeople.com/acces...=creviews#tabs

Seriously you need to read this page of this thread a bit more closely. The fact that the projector people had them in stock was established by CareyP back on the 18th Dec.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21361265

post #59 of 186 Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

These glasses will not work with DLP link according to Xpand.

http://www.xpand.me/support/forum/pr...d-eyewear/110/

Exactly my point.

post #60 of 186 Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Any update on the availability of the tuning app? I'm willing to suffer a little more brightness loss and/or flicker to reduce crosstalk...but I'm still waiting to see it I actually works.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page