AVS Forum banner

X-104 YOUniversal 3D Glasses (XpanD) Are [NOT] Here!

42K views 186 replies 50 participants last post by  shunja 
#1 ·
 http://www.xpand.me/products/youniversal-3d-glasses/

Attachment 206098 (click to enlarge)

Quote:
YOUNIVERSAL high-end glasses will begin shipping in April 2011 and will communicate with Infrared (IR), Bluetooth (BT), Radio Frequency (RF) and DLP-Link.
EDIT: New date: 3rd Qtr 2011

From Tjasa Vrhovnik http://www.xpand.me/support/forum/product-support/xpand-universal-3d-glasses/14/ #

Quote:
I'm sorry for the wrong information on the product page and thanks for noticing. It's changed now to Q3 2011.

Previously mentioned by browerjs on AVS in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...l#post19782245

See less See more
#52 ·
#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz /forum/post/21409830

Has anyone ordered these yet? If you go to Xpands website, click shop, they are the first item that comes up. Available in large size,in blue, and they are listed for $119. I have been waiting for these to come out. Just wanted to see how these are compared to the 103's?

Took them long enough! I've hade mine from a UK dealer since 4th Dec and they were available through a few outlets since mid November. If you could take a second and just scroll up this page you'll see the direct links to my initial impressions in the Sony VW95 thread and comparisons to the X103s and current Sony models.

#58 ·
#59 ·
#60 ·
Any update on the availability of the tuning app? I'm willing to suffer a little more brightness loss and/or flicker to reduce crosstalk...but I'm still waiting to see it I actually works.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 /forum/post/21412542

Any update on the availability of the tuning app? I'm willing to suffer a little more brightness loss and/or flicker to reduce crosstalk...but I'm still waiting to see it I actually works.

Last I read on the Xpand forum was 'in Jan'. So far minus the app, I'm finding them a big enough improvement all round over the Sony TDG-PG1's and X103s, that not being able tweak them potentially to poss further enhance my VW95 is not stopping me from enjoying them in the meantime.

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown /forum/post/0

I've seen one poster say "The new design is extremely comfortable" and another say "they are heavy and pinch behind the ears". So who is right?!

Probably depends on your head.

#64 ·
I find them uncomfortable compared to the MV and other glasses. They also have a rubber cover for the usb charging port that is very difficult to put back on. The large size is very is not very wide compared to other brands. I will be going to CES this week and will stop by the Xpand booth and let them know what I think. I will also see when and if they plan to post their software.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown /forum/post/21452778

I've seen one poster say "The new design is extremely comfortable" and another say "they are heavy and pinch behind the ears". So who is right?!

They are lighter and more comfortable than the x103s (and work better IMHO).

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown /forum/post/21452778

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 /forum/post/21452830

Probably depends on your head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 /forum/post/21455810

I agree, would prob depend on the individuals head. Mine are far more comfortable than the X103s and all of the Sony's I've had, plus Samsungs.

IMHO, you can't get all that much more 'glasses like' in form and fit.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 /forum/post/0

They are heavy and pinch behind the ears. My head is large but my wife's head is small and they still pinched behind her ears.

I was comparing against the Panasonic 3rd gen glasses which are far lighter and you forget you're wearing them. But there were much more annoying things other than the rubber thingy always falling out that finally led me to return mine for a refund. I listed those in my review elsewhere.

#68 ·
Well, the Optima/MV glasses were okay comfort and weight wise - and by ok I mean fail.

I need glasses that are comfortable for an hour or two of play/viewing - not ten or fifteen minutes like every pair I have ever tried (and I have tried alot.) I was hoping these would be the ones.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown /forum/post/0

Well, the Optima/MV glasses were okay comfort and weight wise - and by ok I mean fail.

I need glasses that are comfortable for an hour or two of play/viewing - not ten or fifteen minutes like every pair I have ever tried (and I have tried alot.) I was hoping these would be the ones.

So is the best still panny 3rd generation?

Is there no best bang for the buck yet that's comfortable enough to get through a movie?? I was hoping to read that I might have found that in this thread

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysteven /forum/post/0

So is the best still panny 3rd generation?

Is there no best bang for the buck yet that's comfortable enough to get through a movie?? I was hoping to read that I might have found that in this thread

It's the best for Panny or Epson, unless you need glasses to share with other brands.

The 3rd gen Panny's are slightly brighter, far lighter weight, fit comfortably with an adjustable nose support and don't pinch behind the ears, always sync back up after they are turned off, don't reflect what's behind you, fit in front of prescription glasses easier, don't have a rubber thingy falling out, don't have a switch right where you grab the glasses so they accidentally turn off, have an added feature to allow watching in 2D.

The bad thing about the Panny's is that they are smaller in lens area so you do see more below or above the glasses, however with the lights off its not so much a problem. Sure it would be nice if the gen 4's are a bit larger and brighter.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P /forum/post/21473677

It's the best for Panny or Epson, unless you need glasses to share with other brands.

The 3rd gen Panny's are slightly brighter, far lighter weight, fit comfortably with an adjustable nose support and don't pinch behind the ears, always sync back up after they are turned off, don't reflect what's behind you, fit in front of prescription glasses easier, don't have a rubber thingy falling out, don't have a switch right where you grab the glasses so they accidentally turn off, have an added feature to allow watching in 2D.

The bad thing about the Panny's is that they are smaller in lens area so you do see more below or above the glasses, however with the lights off its not so much a problem. Sure it would be nice if the gen 4's are a bit larger and brighter.

Agree 100%!

Ed

#73 ·
I spent some time at the Xpand booth at CES. The software for the 104 glasses should be coming very soon. I had a chance to preview it and it is very easy to use. Xpand104's are now being sold by Projector People. The have a special deal with 3 pairs. Other dealers should also be selling them soon. Xpand was also demonstrating the RF dongle for these glasses. It should be available in March for those who may need or want it.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/21480248

I spent some time at the Xpand booth at CES. The software for the 104 glasses should be coming very soon. I had a chance to preview it and it is very easy to use. Xpand104's are now being sold by Projector People. The have a special deal with 3 pairs. Other dealers should also be selling them soon. Xpand was also demonstrating the RF dongle for these glasses. It should be available in March for those who may need or want it.

Good info thanks. Hopefully if the software you previewed is more or less fully operational, there is little excuse left for them not to roll it out already. Good to hear re the RF. A few of the really hardcore MV3D owners are intent on RF support. Mine work fine off the IR coming out of my Sony VW95.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT /forum/post/21480344

Good info thanks. Hopefully if the software you previewed is more or less fully operational, there is little excuse left for them not to roll it out already. Good to hear re the RF. A few of the really hardcore MV3D owners are intent on RF support. Mine work fine off the IR coming out of my Sony VW95.

I spoke with one of the developers from Slovenia and I was told that it is nearly ready. I was also told that it should be released very soon. I think they are tweaking the software no and really want to get it right. It is very easy to use with a laptop. The software will tweak the timings we will have to wait and see if it helps with ghosting on some projectors or tv's. Expand will also have the 104's available in different colors along with the RF adapter available in a few months.

#76 ·
@rwestly: Do you recall if there was an individual left/right lens control, or just generic phase/duty. Mainly here I am thinking of Simulview and for people with vision disorders -- will the software let you tweak both lenses into sync to produce 2D image from one side of the 3D stream?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.