post #61 of 186 Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Any update on the availability of the tuning app? I'm willing to suffer a little more brightness loss and/or flicker to reduce crosstalk...but I'm still waiting to see it I actually works.

Last I read on the Xpand forum was 'in Jan'. So far minus the app, I'm finding them a big enough improvement all round over the Sony TDG-PG1's and X103s, that not being able tweak them potentially to poss further enhance my VW95 is not stopping me from enjoying them in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 186 Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've seen one poster say "The new design is extremely comfortable" and another say "they are heavy and pinch behind the ears". So who is right?!

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post24741865
post #63 of 186 Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post

I've seen one poster say "The new design is extremely comfortable" and another say "they are heavy and pinch behind the ears". So who is right?!

Probably depends on your head.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #64 of 186 Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I find them uncomfortable compared to the MV and other glasses. They also have a rubber cover for the usb charging port that is very difficult to put back on. The large size is very is not very wide compared to other brands. I will be going to CES this week and will stop by the Xpand booth and let them know what I think. I will also see when and if they plan to post their software.
post #65 of 186 Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

They are lighter and more comfortable than the x103s (and work better IMHO).
post #66 of 186 Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Probably depends on your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

I agree, would prob depend on the individuals head. Mine are far more comfortable than the X103s and all of the Sony's I've had, plus Samsungs.
IMHO, you can't get all that much more 'glasses like' in form and fit.

post #67 of 186 Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

They are heavy and pinch behind the ears. My head is large but my wife's head is small and they still pinched behind her ears.

I was comparing against the Panasonic 3rd gen glasses which are far lighter and you forget you're wearing them. But there were much more annoying things other than the rubber thingy always falling out that finally led me to return mine for a refund. I listed those in my review elsewhere.
post #68 of 186 Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the Optima/MV glasses were okay comfort and weight wise - and by ok I mean fail.
I need glasses that are comfortable for an hour or two of play/viewing - not ten or fifteen minutes like every pair I have ever tried (and I have tried alot.) I was hoping these would be the ones.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
post #69 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 03:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Well, the Optima/MV glasses were okay comfort and weight wise - and by ok I mean fail.
I need glasses that are comfortable for an hour or two of play/viewing - not ten or fifteen minutes like every pair I have ever tried (and I have tried alot.) I was hoping these would be the ones.

So is the best still panny 3rd generation?
Is there no best bang for the buck yet that's comfortable enough to get through a movie?? I was hoping to read that I might have found that in this thread
post #70 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Regarding Panny 3rd gen...these will only work with Panny, no? Not Optoma HD33?

post #71 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysteven View Post

So is the best still panny 3rd generation?
Is there no best bang for the buck yet that's comfortable enough to get through a movie?? I was hoping to read that I might have found that in this thread

It's the best for Panny or Epson, unless you need glasses to share with other brands.

The 3rd gen Panny's are slightly brighter, far lighter weight, fit comfortably with an adjustable nose support and don't pinch behind the ears, always sync back up after they are turned off, don't reflect what's behind you, fit in front of prescription glasses easier, don't have a rubber thingy falling out, don't have a switch right where you grab the glasses so they accidentally turn off, have an added feature to allow watching in 2D.
The bad thing about the Panny's is that they are smaller in lens area so you do see more below or above the glasses, however with the lights off its not so much a problem. Sure it would be nice if the gen 4's are a bit larger and brighter.
post #72 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

It's the best for Panny or Epson, unless you need glasses to share with other brands.

The 3rd gen Panny's are slightly brighter, far lighter weight, fit comfortably with an adjustable nose support and don't pinch behind the ears, always sync back up after they are turned off, don't reflect what's behind you, fit in front of prescription glasses easier, don't have a rubber thingy falling out, don't have a switch right where you grab the glasses so they accidentally turn off, have an added feature to allow watching in 2D.
The bad thing about the Panny's is that they are smaller in lens area so you do see more below or above the glasses, however with the lights off its not so much a problem. Sure it would be nice if the gen 4's are a bit larger and brighter.

Agree 100%!

Ed
post #73 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I spent some time at the Xpand booth at CES. The software for the 104 glasses should be coming very soon. I had a chance to preview it and it is very easy to use. Xpand104's are now being sold by Projector People. The have a special deal with 3 pairs. Other dealers should also be selling them soon. Xpand was also demonstrating the RF dongle for these glasses. It should be available in March for those who may need or want it.
post #74 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I spent some time at the Xpand booth at CES. The software for the 104 glasses should be coming very soon. I had a chance to preview it and it is very easy to use. Xpand104's are now being sold by Projector People. The have a special deal with 3 pairs. Other dealers should also be selling them soon. Xpand was also demonstrating the RF dongle for these glasses. It should be available in March for those who may need or want it.

Good info thanks. Hopefully if the software you previewed is more or less fully operational, there is little excuse left for them not to roll it out already. Good to hear re the RF. A few of the really hardcore MV3D owners are intent on RF support. Mine work fine off the IR coming out of my Sony VW95.

post #75 of 186 Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Good info thanks. Hopefully if the software you previewed is more or less fully operational, there is little excuse left for them not to roll it out already. Good to hear re the RF. A few of the really hardcore MV3D owners are intent on RF support. Mine work fine off the IR coming out of my Sony VW95.

I spoke with one of the developers from Slovenia and I was told that it is nearly ready. I was also told that it should be released very soon. I think they are tweaking the software no and really want to get it right. It is very easy to use with a laptop. The software will tweak the timings we will have to wait and see if it helps with ghosting on some projectors or tv's. Expand will also have the 104's available in different colors along with the RF adapter available in a few months.
post #76 of 186 Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 AM

@rwestly: Do you recall if there was an individual left/right lens control, or just generic phase/duty. Mainly here I am thinking of Simulview and for people with vision disorders -- will the software let you tweak both lenses into sync to produce 2D image from one side of the 3D stream?
post #77 of 186 Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkidz View Post

@rwestly: Do you recall if there was an individual left/right lens control, or just generic phase/duty. Mainly here I am thinking of Simulview and for people with vision disorders -- will the software let you tweak both lenses into sync to produce 2D image from one side of the 3D stream?

There were two controls but I don't think there is an individual Left/Right lens control. I don't think that there software would solve the problem. I think it only had delay and duty cycle similar to the Monster glasses.
post #78 of 186 Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spoke with one of the developers from Slovenia and I was told that it is nearly ready. I was also told that it should be released very soon. I think they are tweaking the software no and really want to get it right. It is very easy to use with a laptop. The software will tweak the timings we will have to wait and see if it helps with ghosting on some projectors or tv's. Expand will also have the 104's available in different colors along with the RF adapter available in a few months.

I really hope aside from cloning what Monster has already done with their PC app, Xpand bloody launches the much touted smartphone apps at the same time. Why does it not surprise me with the history of Xpands products and support, they are using former Eastern Block country developers...

post #79 of 186 Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really hope aside from cloning what Monster has already done with their PC app, Xpand bloody launches the much touted smartphone apps at the same time. Why does it not surprise me with the history of Xpands products and support, they are using former Eastern Block country developers...

Monster also has tunable glasses? Which model are those? How do they compare with the x104s?

post #80 of 186 Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Monster also has tunable glasses? Which model are those? How do they compare with the x104s?

For a long time, actively posting member, I am seriously surprised you haven't read about the Monster Vision Max 3D glasses in this section of the forum or the PC tuning app for them. Even in some display and proj owners threads, such as the Sony VW95's one, MV3D settings have been discussed for tuning the delay and duty cycles to optimise them for that projector for example. The built in coarse tuning joystick in the emitter side and finer tuning PC app has also been discussed in that dedicated MV3D thread that's floated around the top of this section since March last year. I just search and located a direct discussion of the PC app in that thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20597673

As yet, I have not come across anyone who can say they've done a side by side comparison between MV3D's and X104's. Unfort, I had already bought into 4 pairs of X103s by the time the MV3Ds came out. About the same time, the X104's were announced, then eventually had their release massively delayed. If I had of known that was to happen, I would probably have gotten a set of MV3D's to use in the interim with my previous and current projector as they were def better than the X103's. I'm sure inevitably and hopefully soon, somebody will get to do an accurate comparison between the MV's and X104's. Perhaps one of the HT magazines even.

post #81 of 186 Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmph...well I'm hearing about them now I guess. I thought the x104s were unique in their tunability.

I'll have to look into it a bit more to see how compatible they are with my set, but if the x104 isn't offering anything unique, I see no reason for me to wait around for me to get their act together. All I want is less crosstalk, and if these let me achieve that with fine tuning, then mission accomplished.

post #82 of 186 Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really doubt if the smartphone apps are ready. Having visited Slovenia in the past year I have to say that there is very little left of the Eastern Block attitude. They are on the Euro and doing quite well with great roads and a good economy. The developers told me that they did not realize that there would be a large demand for the software. I really pushed the matter and I was told it should be out by the end of the month. Hope they told me the truth.
post #83 of 186 Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really doubt if the smartphone apps are ready. Having visited Slovenia in the past year I have to say that there is very little left of the Eastern Block attitude. They are on the Euro and doing quite well with great roads and a good economy. The developers told me that they did not realize that there would be a large demand for the software. I really pushed the matter and I was told it should be out by the end of the month. Hope they told me the truth.

Yeah, well that's another major Xpand letdown once again then if they fail with the smartphone app this far after the initial Nov product launch. I get the MV3D owners beating me up over the piss poor rep Xpand have developed since the start with their promise and failure to deliver the touted firmware upgrade for the X103's. I'm sure Slovenia like much of the old Eastern Block has progressed along way. However, I'm not exactly convinced it's the major software developers hub globally that even India or Ireland or the Ukraine have become. I don't blame them for not realising the demand for it, I doubt Xpand would have bother communicating that to them or emphasizing the amount they'd spruiked the software feature in their original pre-prod PR(let alone shown then the original PR!). Seems Xpand are run pretty poorly. Everything thing I've seen to date reeks of broken promises and vapourware, massive production delays, and overly sparse/disjointed product rollouts.

post #84 of 186 Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:

I'll have to look into it a bit more to see how compatible they are with my set, but if the x104 isn't offering anything unique, I see no reason for me to wait around for me to get their act together. All I want is less crosstalk, and if these let me achieve that with fine tuning, then mission accomplished.

Other than the sync signal compatibility, the other thing to look at is the rise/fall time on the lenses and their leakage. But without the tuning app from Xpand, and without someone who knows what they are doing as far as characterizing the lenses, we won't know that for quite some time yet -- if ever (since no consumer magazines seem to be competent enough to do these sorts of tests.)

There are also a couple pros/cons between having each pair of glasses individually tuned and having a separate emitter that all glasses tune to, and if your set is IR, the RF on the MV3D (post conversion) is likely more resilient than running X104s directly off the IR signal.
post #85 of 186 Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 AM

Any update on when the configuration app is being released? Xpand has updated their website with more X104 info, but still no app!!!
post #86 of 186 Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

Any update on when the configuration app is being released? Xpand has updated their website with more X104 info, but still no app!!!

I spoke with Xpand yesterday they now say the middle to end of Feb. I think they want to be sure that the 104's are truly universal and that the RF attachment that they showed at CES is ready for release. This may have pushed things back.
post #87 of 186 Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:

I spoke with Xpand yesterday they now say the middle to end of Feb. I think they want to be sure that the 104's are truly universal and that the RF attachment that they showed at CES is ready for release. This may have pushed things back.

Oh, that stinks. I have an issue with my glasses not keeping sync with my TV. Most of the time just turning them on won't work...you actually have to re-sync them every time. When I contacted Xpand last month, they guaranteed me that a firmware update, plus the new programming software would fix the issue.

Now I guess I have to wait another month....
post #88 of 186 Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

Oh, that stinks. I have an issue with my glasses not keeping sync with my TV. Most of the time just turning them on won't work...you actually have to re-sync them every time. When I contacted Xpand last month, they guaranteed me that a firmware update, plus the new programming software would fix the issue.

Now I guess I have to wait another month....

What projector and or emitter are you using. I have a JVC and have no problem with getting it to re-sync.
post #89 of 186 Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:

What projector and or emitter are you using. I have a JVC and have no problem with getting it to re-sync.

I have a Panasonic GT25 plasma TV and two pairs of X104's, each with the same problem: In order for them to sync properly, you have to start playing the movie BEFORE turning on the glasses or you'll need to re-sync them.

Also, one of the two almost always needs re-syncing every time, no matter when you turn them on.

Anything you do to break the sync will require a total re-sync, not just a power off/ power on. Some examples: If I leave the glasses on, walk into another room, then walk back, I'll have to re sync. Sometimes if I pause the movie and my Blu ray player's screen saver comes on, I'll also have to re-sync. It's pretty annoying.

This is the third brand of 3D glasses I've tried and they're still bar FAR the best. If I could get rid of the sync program and get them to be permanently set to my TV, they'd be perfect.
post #90 of 186 Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had 2 pairs of the x104's and they both would loose sync after walking out of the room and had to reprogram every time. I'm using a Panasonic 7000 projector Has nothing to do with LED strength. Though accidentally turning them off momentarily during a movie (which can happen a lot with the switch being where it is) it seemed to sync back up right away. Turning them off until the next day required a reprogram again. For that and other reasons I returned them.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page