AVS Forum banner

X-104 YOUniversal 3D Glasses (XpanD) Are [NOT] Here!

42K views 186 replies 50 participants last post by  shunja 
#1 ·
 http://www.xpand.me/products/youniversal-3d-glasses/

Attachment 206098 (click to enlarge)

Quote:
YOUNIVERSAL high-end glasses will begin shipping in April 2011 and will communicate with Infrared (IR), Bluetooth (BT), Radio Frequency (RF) and DLP-Link.
EDIT: New date: 3rd Qtr 2011

From Tjasa Vrhovnik http://www.xpand.me/support/forum/product-support/xpand-universal-3d-glasses/14/ #

Quote:
I'm sorry for the wrong information on the product page and thanks for noticing. It's changed now to Q3 2011.

Previously mentioned by browerjs on AVS in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...l#post19782245

See less See more
#2 ·
Still waiting on pricing info and a concrete release date, as well as some reviews on performance.

As always we need to know:

do they sync and stay synced

do they display rainbows

do they remove the tints from blacks on older DLP Link enabled sets

how is the weight

do they fit over prescription glasses

how is the contrast

do they have reverse sync switches

are they worth the high-end pricetag

are they better then MonsterVision or CrystalEyes glasses

At least there are some promising glasses coming out very soon.

#3 ·
Add to the list of questions: Is their polarizing element within the liquid crystal lens vertical oriented, as with the X103 glasses, or have they come up with a means to switch it between vertical and horizontal orientation? While most LCD/LED 3DTVs (e.g., Samsung) use vertical polarization, some 3D displays use horizontal (e.g., JVC projectors, HP 3D laptops).

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/20185928

Add to the list of questions: Is their polarizing element with the liquid crystal lens vertical oriented, as with the X103 glasses, or have they come up with a means to switch it between vertical and horizontal orientation? While most LCD/LED 3DTVs (e.g., Samsung) use vertical polarization, some 3D displays use horizontal (e.g., JVC projectors, HP 3D laptops).

I don't really care how much better or not they work with the JVC projectors. I would buy them alone for the design. Much better looking than the stock JVC glasses, the Xpand x103s, or the MonsterVision Max 3D glasses. I just hope they are not more expensive that the Monster or JVC glasses and at least brighter than the JVCs.

#5 ·
When using them they are on your face, you are in a dark room, and who cares if they are sleek looking then if they don't work? I'll take a butt-ugly set of glasses as long as the 3D looks good, the blacks are black, the glasses stay synced, and there are no rainbows on my screen. I'd prefer if they also looked nice, but that is somewhere at the bottom of a very long list.

#7 ·
I can't wait to hear more about these things. The iOS app is the thing that mainly has me intrigued. I'm thinking if I'm able to tune the shutter length I can seriously reduce the amount of crosstalk at the expense of some brightness and flicker. It's a tradeoff I'd probably be willing to make.

#10 ·
My question would be is how they compare to the MonsterVision glasses?

#11 ·
Maybe I'm overlooking this, but are these glasses DLP Link only or will they work with an emitter. I have the LG-55LX9500 that has a built in emitter. Just curious if these will be compatible.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 /forum/post/20218705

Why is this thread titled "the YOUniversal glasses are here", when they clearly are not and won't be for at least another 2.5 weeks???

Yeah, I was looking forward to an actual user review, and all we have the marketing bumpf repeated.

So does the OP anticipate getting advance access to the X104s and provide some insight?

shinksma

#15 ·

Quote:

Why is this thread titled "the YOUniversal glasses are here", when they clearly are not and won't be for at least another 2.5 weeks???

I know that XPAND mentioned an April release, but how did you hear about the Youniversals being released in 2.5 weeks or is that just an estimate? I have been trying to find any info I could on it the last couple of days. That would be great as I have been holding off on buying additional glasses to see how these do compared to XPAND X103 or stock JVCs.

I have been tempted to go on and buy a few pairs of the Xpand X103 to go with my one pair of JVCs, but I would rather have the RF sync with the iPhone app customization and the better design. I just hope they are brighter than the JVCs, block out reflections better, and don't cost too much.

#16 ·
These look like just the ticket for me. I now have a Sony LCD tv but will be adding a JVC projecor in my HT. I'd like buy the glasses now to use with the Sony but would use them mainly with the JVC once that is in place and running.

The two other big pluses for these glasses are they are rechargable and (if available) RF controlled. Still a big question of performance and price.

With a launch date of April, I'm suprised they haven't started a pre-order. I suspect they won't be released until later, maybe June or July.

#17 ·

Quote:

This thread announced the product link to the manufacturer of these glasses. Some of us have been waiting over a year for them to show up on XpanD's website. Sorry you were disappointed.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolt /forum/post/20219225

I know that XPAND mentioned an April release, but how did you hear about the Youniversals being released in 2.5 weeks or is that just an estimate? I have been trying to find any info I could on it the last couple of days. That would be great as I have been holding off on buying additional glasses to see how these do compared to XPAND X103 or stock JVCs.

I thought I saw somewhere that they were being released April 15th, could be wrong though.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 /forum/post/20218628

Looking over the Spec sheet tells me these glasses are primarily IR glasses, but you can buy extension modules (I have no idea what this means) to make the DLP Link and RF.

In other words, yes, they are DLP Link, after you buy an additional accessory.

Yes, they require an extension module (+ battery) for DLP®Link and RF.

Could it be that thing at the end of the right earpiece?

#21 ·
Looking at the blog on he Xpand web site and one of the service tech's wrote

"X104 YOUniversal Glasses has a capability to synchronize with Bluetooth. Possibly, the date of preliminary release in the market will be July this year and the price hasn't been finalized yet."

Looks like we're talking JULY. I guess I should just buy the Sony's or the X103s and worry about the 104s after I put my projector in.

http://www.xpand.me/support/forum/pr...d-glasses/14/#

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO /forum/post/0

"X104 YOUniversal Glasses has a capability to synchronize with Bluetooth. Possibly, the date of preliminary release in the market will be July this year and the price hasn't been finalized yet."

Looks like we're talking JULY. I guess I should just buy the Sony's or the X103s and worry about the 104s after I put my projector in.

Is that July on the BT module, or the glasses themselves?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO /forum/post/20224138

"X104 YOUniversal Glasses has a capability to synchronize with Bluetooth. Possibly, the date of preliminary release in the market will be July this year and the price hasn’t been finalized yet."

Interesting.... I posted a question yesterday at the above support site asking about the discrepency between the two release dates, and my post was deleted. I just re-posted, so let's see what happens.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.