post #181 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

How's it working for you? Is flicker an issue?

Flicker is noticable (for me) on both my 60hz lcd tv and my 60hz dlp pj in a lit room. It is not noticable at all (or barely so, if I'm looking for it) on the projector when I view in a darkened room. It is always more noticable on the tv than on the pj.

I think this is due to 1) persistence of vision (not as much "off time" with the projected image) and 2) brightness.

I found the vga setting on the emitter provided less flicker on the lcd tv, but at the expense of image brightness (and probably color depth).

I'll be honest, if I intended to view 3d solely on an lcd flat screen, I might consider investing in a 3d-ready tv. But the Theatre is perfect for my projector setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Flicker is noticable (for me) on both my 60hz lcd tv and my 60hz dlp pj in a lit room. It is not noticable at all (or barely so, if I'm looking for it) on the projector when I view in a darkened room. It is always more noticable on the tv than on the pj.

I think this is due to 1) persistence of vision (not as much "off time" with the projected image) and 2) brightness.

I found the vga setting on the emitter provided less flicker on the lcd tv, but at the expense of image brightness (and probably color depth).

I'll be honest, if I intended to view 3d solely on an lcd flat screen, I might consider investing in a 3d-ready tv. But the Theatre is perfect for my projector setup.

Thanks for sharing these information. I´m also interested in the 3D Displayer/Theatre in combination with an LED LCD.
Was the flicker on the 60Hz LCD very strong or just noticeable?
And to the glasses: Have you used the IR glasses or the RF glasses? RF glasses are said to perform better on 60Hz projectors/TV´s (there is no difference at 120Hz).

Is there any other who can give feedback respective the 3D performance on a LCD?
post #183 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Den View Post

Thanks for sharing these information. I´m also interested in the 3D Displayer/Theatre in combination with an LED LCD.
Was the flicker on the 60Hz LCD very strong or just noticeable?
And to the glasses: Have you used the IR glasses or the RF glasses? RF glasses are said to perform better on 60Hz projectors/TV´s (there is no difference at 120Hz).

Is there any other who can give feedback respective the 3D performance on a LCD?

I'm using the ir glasses.

Here's the synopsis:
- Bright scenes reveal more flicker than dark scenes.
- Watch in a light-controlled room or at night and you won't be disappointed either way.
post #184 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 472
I picked up this USB wall unit to use with the VIP Displayer.

It's output is rated at DC 4.5v-9.5V Max 800mA. Will this work with the Displayer?
post #185 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Looking for some clarification. I have a PS3 and an Optoma HD20 setup with an A/V receiver. I also have a pair of Ultra Clears DLP-LINK glasses (have a Mits DLP). Will the 3D Displayer work with my HD20 and Ultra Clears?
post #186 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM

Thank u so much for the tv review
Is the fkicker that bad ?
Jonathan did say room must be dark
So are the colors off and 1080p is wiped away
I want to order yet still hesitant
Leaning toward saving up for 3d tv
post #187 of 701 Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:

I have LCD tv only and may order next week
IRS not perfect but is it good enough to enjoy or cutting it to close - is the 3d noticeable enough because I too look for stuff
post #188 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Wlamart has a 42 inch 3d tv for 686 and 47 inch 898
What's amazing - 2 pairs come in box
What's amazing the real 3d glasses from movie theater that one can take home - they work on this tv - talk about saving money on glasses
Internet aps - displays 3d tv channels

Those glasses are the deal maker for me
1080p 3d output - wow
For not much more
post #189 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_xk8 View Post
Wlamart has a 42 inch 3d tv for 686 and 47 inch 898
What's amazing - 2 pairs come in box
What's amazing the real 3d glasses from movie theater that one can take home - they work on this tv - talk about saving money on glasses
Internet aps - displays 3d tv channels

Those glasses are the deal maker for me
1080p 3d output - wow
For not much more
If it uses the polarized glasses as you say, it's one of the passive sets... horizontal resolution will be cut in half. Might want to check it out in-store before you buy, to make sure you're happy with the picture quality.
post #190 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

If it uses the polarized glasses as you say, it's one of the passive sets... horizontal resolution will be cut in half. Might want to check it out in-store before you buy, to make sure you're happy with the picture quality.

At 720p the Displayer is also half resolution, and unfortunately we cannot check it out in a store before buying it; so I'm not sure how to compare the two.
post #191 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

You also can't sit that close to them either or else the horizontal lines become visible. When I first say one at Wal-Mart, I thought something was wrong. I took a few steps back and the 3D just popped into the picture. For the resolution to be cut in half, it looked pretty darn good. But this was likely in torch mode as well.

I'm not downing VIP products at all, I myself am interested in the Displayer. However, one has to wonder how much exposure the product will get without being readily available. If they can get it into a retail chain, the interest in the product would grow 10-fold.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #192 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM

I went to Walmart - saw tron in 3d - no ghosting - these glasses were the real 3d from movie theaters - looks like sun glasses - my gosh this looked awesome and no flicker or ghosting - 42 inch looked stunning

I brought tangled from home
It was amazing
The pic came off the screen using those glasses

I saw for myself

The flexibilty of glasses
No battery - lack of huge expense on glasses
I havd at least 5 of those glasses

The 42 inch is no slouch except if ur room is big

For the price of the displayer which may not work or theater for a tv that does
The glasses part - no batteries !!!

If ur wal mart has a demo - bring in ur own movie if u havd a 3d one

I already have a vizio - love my 32 inch

Assurance is what did it for me
post #193 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 PM

I loved it !!!! Wal mart just got these in
I love VIP idea - yet the price is so close to one of these vizios which is the brand I want - if 42 inch demo was this amazing - the 47 inch

The cost of glasses - hmm what cost
I did remember seeing a story on the news
You might want to take those 3d glasses home

I love the pic

Tron looked identical to theater I saw it in yet smaller but the affects - identical
post #194 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I loved it !!!! Wal mart just got these in
I love VIP idea - yet the price is so close to one of these vizios which is the brand I want - if 42 inch demo was this amazing - the 47 inch

The cost of glasses - hmm what cost
I did remember seeing a story on the news
You might want to take those 3d glasses home

I love the pic

Tron looked identical to theater I saw it in yet smaller but the affects - identical

Sounds like you found a solution that works for you; let us know how it works with your setup.

Enjoy!
post #195 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I probably wouldn't buy a VIP converter for a small flat panel. I would go buy a new 3D flat panel. What i don't want to do is buy a new projector so the 3D Theater in my case I hope will make me happy until a glasses free solution comes out and or I need a new projector. So if you have a 3D ready projector or TV and or don't want to buy a new 3D projector then the VIP products I hope will satisfy most people.
post #196 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The more affordable ways to get into the 3d game the better!
post #197 of 701 Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Thing is more affordable is better yet a new tv for not much more than the theater - and glasses that work - VIP is new -yet so so unproven and too many hiccups I was thinking I'm not far off from a new tv - my parents need a tv - they will get my 47 inch and I will havd two vizios
post #198 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

While it may be feasible to buy a new TV instead of plunking down for the Theatre, it's not feasible if you have a projector that costs more than $2,000. Honestly, the 3D experience on a 50-inch TV is nowhere near that of a projector throwing a 100-inch image. The immersion at that screen size is insane.

The real value of the VIP products lies in being able to transform virtually any display into a 3D display. I don't know of anyone that would want to replace their Kuro with with a Vizio, affordable or not.

post #199 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
kat-xk8,
What make and model numbers are the new passive models at Walmart?
post #200 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

While it may be feasible to buy a new TV instead of plunking down for the Theatre, it's not feasible if you have a projector that costs more than $2,000. Honestly, the 3D experience on a 50-inch TV is nowhere near that of a projector throwing a 100-inch image. The immersion at that screen size is insane.

The real value of the VIP products lies in being able to transform virtually any display into a 3D display. I don't know of anyone that would want to replace their Kuro with with a Vizio, affordable or not.

I DONT HAVE A PROJECTOR!!!!
i have never owned a projector not even a slide projector
not everyone has a projector and have even stated that many times in this thread, i see your point and agree going down in size is not a good thing but from situation i have so many uncertainties about this converters and the limitiations - i appreciate the input but you were preaching to wrong choir lol or i was never in that choir lol
post #201 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Exactly. I don´t want to replace my RGB-LED X4500 just becauase of 3D. However 3D is a nice gimmick, so the VIP products are perfect for me if the performance on my display is good enough.
post #202 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

kat-xk8,
What make and model numbers are the new passive models at Walmart?

passive?
wow in the box comes with one premium glasses and one well not so premium but they eqaul the real 3d glasses from theaters not named imax lol

http://www.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/e3d420vx.html
http://www.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/e3d470vx.html
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-E3D4...ndingMethod=rr
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-M470...ndingMethod=rr
post #203 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 AM

im not replacing a projector however i have read feedback with people who have the product and used it - its not as great as vip wants us to think and when asking j onathan to be completely honest - no emails
i got emails when it came to pricing etc anything sales related but when confronting about user feedback - nothing - and even told another user to not comment until buying another pair of glasses before commenting

sure its great if it does whats advertised - but it doesnt - perhaps better for projector but this is an apples and oranges discussion as the arguments seem to be in context of a projector - i have a 47 inch 1080p 60hz tv that i will give to my parents whos tv went caput during a electrical storm

win win for my situation i dont have a theater room - 0 room for a screen projector so for me the vizio works not just for me but for my parents as well

sure its a great alternative for those with projectors
not so much for ones with tvs
and the glasses

i can use glasses i got from the movie theater which i know of at least 5 pairs plus the 2 in the box ill get

bottom line

i would have to pay more the converter itself for the glasses to to equal the count i already have

the converter is great if works as advetised
problem is only i could watch the content and dont want to have to keep spending money on glasses
post #204 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

At 720p the Displayer is also half resolution, and unfortunately we cannot check it out in a store before buying it; so I'm not sure how to compare the two.

Is this true? I thought it is still 720P but frame sequential at either 60/120 Hz.
Can someone else chime in on this. Unfortunately we don't have icester to chime in who could give a second opimion.
post #205 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

Is this true? I thought it is still 720P but frame sequential at either 60/120 Hz.
Can someone else chime in on this. Unfortunately we don't have icester to chime in who could give a second opimion.

If you mean 1080p then please see this post on the Theater thread from Jonathan at VIP: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20322478

The Displayer is unlikely to have more capabilities than the Theater.

Since these are evolutionary products based on one aimed at supporting DLP 720p 120Hz projectors, it makes sense that they are designed for 720p output only. Besides, 1080p120 is not currently practical with HDMI. Also, 720p60 is much more universally accepted through HDMI than 1080p60.
post #206 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Hockey,
When yuu consider the frame rate they are the fixel transfer rates are about the same since 1080i/60 contains 30 frames per second of content and 720/60 contains 60 frames per second of cotnent.
VIP displayer outputs 720p frame sequential at either 60 or 120 frames per second. On a standard 60Hz TV this results in 30fps per eye of content which casues flicker.
It is true that a 720p fixed pixel TV has about 1/2 the number of pixels of a 1080p fixed pixel TV.
Kat...,
Your TV is called a Passive 3D TV since instead of using Active Shutter glases it uses glasses with polarized passive len glasses.
post #207 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I DONT HAVE A PROJECTOR!!!!
i have never owned a projector not even a slide projector
not everyone has a projector and have even stated that many times in this thread, i see your point and agree going down in size is not a good thing but from situation i have so many uncertainties about this converters and the limitiations - i appreciate the input but you were preaching to wrong choir lol or i was never in that choir lol

I never implied that you had a projector, nor am I preaching any type of message but more so an opinion. For me, Vizio has never been synonymous with superb quality. They're cheap and the picture quality is decent, but for those of us with higher-end displays, buying a lesser quality television just for 3D is not an option. I'd buy the Displayer for use on my LG Plasma before I'd buy the Vizio.

post #208 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I have a feeling that when the dust settles, the best (price/performance) way to get into the 3d projector game will be to get one of the VIP products and pair it with a 720p 3d-ready projector, even if you already own a 60hz pj. If you factor in the cost of the 120/60hz glasses and emitter, that will get you really close to getting a new 720-3d pj plus cheap dlp link glasses if you are buying 4 or more glasses. It may cost a little more, but the 3d quality will be significantly better with no side-effects.
post #209 of 701 Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
In my setup I don't want to buy a new higher end 3D projector. A JVC RS40 would set me back $4k plus extra for the glasses and emitter. For me spending $800 to get 3D is awesome. Believe me I will post my findings when I get the Theater unit with RF glasses hopefully by next week.
post #210 of 701 Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:

I never implied that you had a projector, nor am I preaching any type of message but more so an opinion. For me, Vizio has never been synonymous with superb quality. They're cheap and the picture quality is decent, but for those of us with higher-end displays, buying a lesser quality television just for 3D is not an option. I'd buy the Displayer for use on my LG Plasma before I'd buy the Vizio.

Lesser ? I have a vizio in my bedroom and love it !!!
This will be my 2nd vizio
Affordable - meets my needs and addresses them
The vizio 3d works !!!! I saw it myself and the affordability of glasses - the displayer is not flawless - has flickering and ghosting - I can't afford higher end displays - I can afford this

Also I'm giving my parents my 47 inch as my dad was out of work for 2 years and recently started new job -they couldnt afford new tv however I wont pay 3,000 for a tv I don't need -

I love the vizio
Am a repeat customer
The 3d looks great

It's not less for me
The displayer simply is too much of a risk and already has confirmed ghosting and flickering

Vizio is affordable - and doable for me and my family
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page