3D Displayer - VIP Product - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 701 Old 03-22-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wanted to start a thread for this specific VIP product.

I have seen a ton of information on the 3D Gamer and Theater product, but this is the unit I am most interested in.

If there is anyone out there that has received this unit yet, please post your impressions within this thread. Thought it would be a neater way to track the info vs. farming it out of the 3D Gamer thread.

Thanks in advance.
Billbofet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 701 Old 03-22-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Attached is a .pdf document I got from Jonathan regarding this product:
LL
Billbofet is offline  
post #3 of 701 Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Member
 
jadeezra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the product I'm going with. At 299 I could care less if it doesnt work on direct tv. I'm in this thing for the blu ray's and video games. Its a steal imo.
jadeezra is offline  
post #4 of 701 Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
donyoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Attached is a .pdf document I got from Jonathan regarding this product:

The question has been: what are they doing to support 60 Hz displays? The plot thickens... The pdf says 720 progressive output that is field interleaved??

Don
donyoop is offline  
post #5 of 701 Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My understanding is that this product would basically work on all things PS3 - games, BD movies, Vudu, and PSN 3D rentals.

If that is the case, and others have good luck with the IR/emitter glasses, this one looks like a winner for me.
Billbofet is offline  
post #6 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thebard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

My understanding is that this product would basically work on all things PS3 - games, BD movies, Vudu, and PSN 3D rentals.

If that is the case, and others have good luck with the IR/emitter glasses, this one looks like a winner for me.

The Gamer does what you mention. This unit does blu-ray 3d as well.

A third unit, the Theater, handles cable/sat 3d.
thebard is offline  
post #7 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 AM
Newbie
 
Loppan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donyoop View Post

The question has been: what are they doing to support 60 Hz displays? The plot thickens... The pdf says 720 progressive output that is field interleaved??

Don


This is what I would like to know aswell, every time I see someone who ask about this there is no answer to it. Also, is it limited to 720p, I thought I heard 1080p from the beginning?


/Henrik
Loppan is offline  
post #8 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From the data sheet it appears that the unit will accept 1080p/24 frame packing 3D format from a 3D BR player or from a PS3 and can output it at either 720p/60 or 720p/120 using field interleaved format. It does not appear that the unit supports output using any 1080p 3D display formats. If using a standard 60Hz LCD or Plasma 2D TV I am not sure if using 720p/60 frame interleaved format will provide an acceptable 3D experience.
walford is offline  
post #9 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Member
 
space123321's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

From the data sheet it appears that the unit will accept 1080p/24 frame packing 3D format from a 3D BR player or from a PS3 and can output it at either 720p/60 or 720p/120 using field interleaved format. It does not appear that the unit supports output using any 1080p 3D display formats. If using a standard 60Hz LCD or Plasma 2D TV I am not sure if using 720p/60 frame interleaved format will provide an acceptable 3D experience.

I am confussed - what is field interleaved format? If this the old field sequential format? I have an hd66 and want to ensure that it will be the same experience as my 3dtv (frame by frame, not line by line...) thanks!
space123321 is offline  
post #10 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AFAIK Field Interleaved, Frame Sequential, Page Flipping, and possibly full SbS format and in some cases Over and Under format are all the same or very close to the same since they consist of sequential full frames alternating left an right eye content. None of thes format should be confused with the HDMI 1.4a 1080p packed double frame 3D format or the HDMI 1.4a 3D 1080i Side-by-Side 1/2 R format.
Maybe one of you who has used some or all of these formats can provide knowledge of whch of these are the same and/or which of these are certainly not the same.
walford is offline  
post #11 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also wondering if this unit does SBS format and if the IR glasses with emitter are universal. Meaning, would any IR/emitter combo work?
Billbofet is offline  
post #12 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
perfectdark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Also wondering if this unit does SBS format and if the IR glasses with emitter are universal. Meaning, would any IR/emitter combo work?
don't know about your emitter question. But the Displayer Does NOT do SBS

here is the low down

3D-Gamer --> 720p frame packed (a.k.a PS3 games and Hulu only)

3D-Displayer ---> 720p / 1080p frame packed (a.k.a bluray movies) and PS3 games

3D-Theatre ---> All files (SBS & TB) bluray movies, PS3 games, Xbox360 games, Sat/Cable .... (only thing it doesn't support is 1080p 60 @ SBS)
perfectdark is offline  
post #13 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Member
 
cyclejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The gamer also does psn movies in 3d as well as vudu movies in 3d.
cyclejim is offline  
post #14 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejim View Post

The gamer also does psn movies in 3d as well as vudu movies in 3d.

The 3D Gamer requires a display with a 120mhz refresh rate. This is why I am honing in on the Displayer for my 60mhz projector.

Thanks
Billbofet is offline  
post #15 of 701 Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Member
 
cyclejim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

The 3D Gamer requires a display with a 120mhz refresh rate. This is why I am honing in on the Displayer for my 60mhz projector.

Thanks

No problem, my intention was to correct the post above that did not indicate these capabilities on the gamer.
cyclejim is offline  
post #16 of 701 Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can't believe noone has received or chimed in on this unit yet.

This must be a little bit behind the Theater as far as shipment and release.

I am checking the threads hourly in hopes of getting some intel on this product!!!
Billbofet is offline  
post #17 of 701 Old 03-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
hoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Can't believe noone has received or chimed in on this unit yet.

This must be a little bit behind the Theater as far as shipment and release.

I am checking the threads hourly in hopes of getting some intel on this product!!!

First shipment of the Displayer is going out the first week of April.
hoogs is offline  
post #18 of 701 Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered mine on the 24th. It is now "awaiting shipment".Too bad it costs $335.95 US funds.... but maybe I can keep my Mitz hd1000 720P and NOT have to buy that Acer... as I'm drooling over my remotes.................... If it gives that FULL BLURAY 3D performance as what I read about.
wanab is offline  
post #19 of 701 Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
wanab - really interested in your feedback. I have both a Mits HD1000 and HC3800 which are essentially the same save the resolution difference.

Curious to see how the glasses/emitter work for you. Keep me updated.

Thanks,
Bill
Billbofet is offline  
post #20 of 701 Old 03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
cybereality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I call BS on this product. How is is supposed to convert regular 2D displays to 3D? Doesn't make any sense. And even if it does work, 30Hz per eye is garbage.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cybereality is offline  
post #21 of 701 Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
time will tell.....
wanab is offline  
post #22 of 701 Old 03-26-2011, 06:38 AM
 
threed123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Troy, MI, USA
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereality View Post

I call BS on this product. How is is supposed to convert regular 2D displays to 3D? Doesn't make any sense. And even if it does work, 30Hz per eye is garbage.

VIP Displayer takes input from 3D bluray and PS3 and converts to 120hz frame sequential for 3D DLP ready projectors, and 60hz frame sequential (30 frames per eye) for non-3D projectors--but an IR emitter and corresponding 60-120hz capable glasses are necessary. Yes there might be slight flicker. According to other threads reviewing the VIP Theatre (which is a step up model to the Displayer), it works very well with minimum flicker and it's not as bad as you would think. We'll see.
threed123 is offline  
post #23 of 701 Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
defiancecp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereality View Post

...30Hz per eye is garbage.

And you know this, having used some 30hz per eye product...? No? Oh. Ok then.

Maybe it won't work very well, maybe it will. So far feedback has been generally positive from the users that have tried it. We'll see in april when it gets more widespread distribution.
defiancecp is offline  
post #24 of 701 Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Honestly, I think that most will be very surprised at how well 3D works at 60 HZ. While I am sure some people will be more effected by the flicker, my eyes adjusted in a matter of seconds. In addition, I think if VIP's product is compatible with the active glasses from Monster then the image quality can be further improved. It is just one of those things that you have the experience. Overall, I have been very pleased with the system; in fact it has been just as pleasing as my 3D experience with the Panasonic VT25 unit.
12GAGE is offline  
post #25 of 701 Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Member
 
jem454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

And you know this, having used some 30hz per eye product...? No? Oh. Ok then.

Maybe it won't work very well, maybe it will. So far feedback has been generally positive from the users that have tried it. We'll see in april when it gets more widespread distribution.

Actually Cyber knows 3d very well. Yes believe it or not many of us have used some 30hz per eye product. Shutterglasses have been around for many, many years. Now I wouldnt call 30hz per eye garbage at all, actually the 3d effect is very good, but it is harder on the eyes without a doubt.
jem454 is offline  
post #26 of 701 Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another question for the 3D experts out there.

My Mits HC3800 outputs 1080p/24fps at 48 frames per second.

Can I assume from this I would get true 1080p/24fps frame packed output displayed if I am using the Displayer and PS3 for 3D blu's? If so, would that take care of the "flicker" or help to reduce?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Billbofet is offline  
post #27 of 701 Old 03-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
defiancecp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem454 View Post
Actually Cyber knows 3d very well. Yes believe it or not many of us have used some 30hz per eye product. Shutterglasses have been around for many, many years. Now I wouldnt call 30hz per eye garbage at all, actually the 3d effect is very good, but it is harder on the eyes without a doubt.
My apologies then. But he called the validity of his experience into question by calling it garbage in spite of many with the product reporting a reasonable experience, so it was not an unreasonable assumption that he had no such experience.
defiancecp is offline  
post #28 of 701 Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
walford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Another question for the 3D experts out there.

My Mits HC3800 outputs 1080p/24fps at 48 frames per second.

Can I assume from this I would get true 1080p/24fps frame packed output displayed if I am using the Displayer and PS3 for 3D blu's? If so, would that take care of the "flicker" or help to reduce?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
I see nothing in the following specs for your PJ to indicate that it will handle 3D content or any 3D data format which are required to support DLP-Link and DLP-Link glasses.

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....rs/HC3800.html
walford is offline  
post #29 of 701 Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post
I see nothing in the following specs for your PJ to indicate that it will handle 3D content or any 3D data format which are required to support DLP-Link and DLP-Link glasses.

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....rs/HC3800.html
You are correct. That is why I am interested in this product. It has the ability to make non-3D displays output a 3D picture. I would also have to use the IR glasses/emitter as my pj does not have DLP link.
Billbofet is offline  
post #30 of 701 Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chezbrgr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Nexstar Hell, PA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereality View Post

I call BS on this product. How is is supposed to convert regular 2D displays to 3D? Doesn't make any sense. And even if it does work, 30Hz per eye is garbage.

Brilliant post, its nice to know we won't be seeing you around these threads then. Go have fun with whatever works for you. I will be glad to use what I have, without having to be a computer genius to figure it out.

Wake me when HD gets Here!
Chezbrgr2 is offline  
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off