3D Theatre - VIP Product Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jusy received this email from Johnathan @ VIP regarding my order and any back orders remaining.

Markell, I will have a better idea of the shipping of your units by Wednesday, 13/4/11. I know that we are getting the casing (new style) by Friday/Saturday. The boards are coming in around the same time or Monday. As soon as we have them, we can begin shipping the next batch and that would cover all back orders. Hope to provide you a better date of the shipment by this Wednesday. Regards and cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

This makes me feel sad,i still have to recieve the vip theatre.

You used the glasses from vip?

I hope i have less flickering with my epson tw5000 but it is also 60hz so i keep my fingers crossed

I used the VIP glasses, IR emitter and Theatre module. I should say that there was average room light from windows in each instance. I'm thinking that in a dark cave environment, the results might be more positive. I am somewhat surprised by the amount of flicker-more than I imagined it should be, and greatly surprised by the amount of ghosting--way more than would be watchable. Again, I only tested two LCDs and there a lot more out 60hz LCDs to be tested by other users.
post #363 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjt3 View Post

Jusy received this email from Johnathan @ VIP regarding my order and any back orders remaining.

Markell, I will have a better idea of the shipping of your units by Wednesday, 13/4/11. I know that we are getting the casing (new style) by Friday/Saturday. The boards are coming in around the same time or Monday. As soon as we have them, we can begin shipping the next batch and that would cover all back orders. Hope to provide you a better date of the shipment by this Wednesday. Regards and cheers!

I dont get any responds any more from jonathan,

Hey told me my unit was shipped(to holland),i send him a couple off emails what my tracking number is, but still no respons from him

I know he will be busy,but its correct to answer my emails.

Best regards cees beekhuyzen
post #364 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Okay, finally had a chance to play with the Theatre.

I have scanned about 500 stereo slides into my home office PC and was looking forward to have the Theatre allow me to view them in all their glory on my i-inc 28" LCD PC monitor (yes, it's huge). I set the monitor resolution to 720p and I hooked the module up, usb and emitter. Powered up no issues. I then downloaded the IZ3D driver to test it out. Had several issues getting the driver to work. I tried both 720p and 1080i. Both worked with little difference in the image. Only could get the side by side working with some slight ghosting, however the flicker was unbearable so I uninstalled the IZ3D driver. I then downloaded the nvidia 3D vision player since I have an nvidia display card. That loaded fine and it easily went into 3D mode, but I could not get the Theatre to recognize it no matter what I did, flipping dip switches, pushing p1 button, unplugging resyncing,etc. It would show a skewed 3D image at best. I uninstalled that and downloaded the free trial of Tridef 3D player. It installed okay, and I selected parallel (side by side) mode since all my slides are in MPO format. It worked, but it insisted on stretching the slide to fill the screen--couldn't get that fixed. That said, the 3D image was dark with some ghosting, and the flicker again unbearable--sooo I gave up on seeing 3D slides on my PC. (I must add, that I am able to do this just fine on my ACER 5360 120hz 3D with tridef running and dlplink mode (no Theatre attached).

Another reason I bought the VIP Theatre was to watch 3D on our 55" 60hz LCD in the living room. Again I hooked everything up, switched to the xfinity 3D comcast channel, and after a few seconds I had the 3D image syncing, but with lots of eye flopping and ghosting. Again the flicker was really unbearable to me and with the ghosting the 3D was sub par. I then switched to HBO 3D Avatar On Demand. It appeared somewhat better with less ghosting, but with the flicker and ghosting, I found it unwatchable as well. Sooo I unhooked everything and put it on my desk.

Later this evening, I will hook it up to cable on my ACER 5360 at 120hz dlplink and see what it does on my 144" screen.

I also want to test it on my Mits HC3800 1080p projector, but I'm having the bulb changed, so it will take a while...

So far, I'm disappointed. I'm not saying you will be, just that for me 60hz is way subpar on the devices I've checked so far.

Hmmmm I was going to call VIP and place an order for the theater ...
emitter and glasses so I could try and get 3d with my panny AE4000 but after reading this I think I will pass.

The total would have been $639 .

The way I see it I might as well wait until the 2011 stuff hits the streets before going forward .

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #365 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjt3 View Post

VIP is located in FL but I noticed Johnathan wrote 13/4/11 instead of 4/13/11 like most Americans would.

I noticed the only place thats selling VIP products are from Canada and was
wondering if Johnathan is also from Canada ?

Anyone ?

Doesn't make a difference but I'm just curious Plus my job requires me to take notice of such details

post #366 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

emitter and glasses so I could try and get 3d with my panny AE4000 but after reading this I think I will pass.

The way I see it I might as well wait until the 2011 stuff hits the streets before going forward .

I ordered a Displayer from Consignia and will be testing it on the Panny AE4000 and Samsung HL61A750 DLP rear proj set. I'm not expecting shipout til next week at best.
post #367 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

For $639, that would be a nice down payment on any of the new HDMI 1.4 PJ's that are coming out. Sure, it won't be 1080p, but still, you won't need any middle man-device with their emitter and glasses. Just the source and the new 1.4 PJ.
post #368 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter47 View Post

I just got my VIP 3D Theatre and I cant get it to work with anything... i just get the you do not have a 3DTV message. Im using a PS3, I did the steps to set it up but when I try to have the PS3 auto-detect the 3D source, the video goes away and doesnt come back. I have it connected to an Optoma HD66 with old firmware, help!

I don't have either of the products you are using but as a wild guess, have you tried going into the Optoma menu and made sure that 3D is DISABLED?

The VIP might be producing is own native 3D signal after making conversion, if that's the case that menu selection might not work.

I assume you have daisy-chained the devices in proper order with your HDMI cables.

Since I have never owned a PS3, what do you mean when you say "I try to have the PS3 auto-detect the 3D source", I would think the PS3 is the source if you play a 3D Blu-Ray.

What are the Theater LEDs indicating?

Hope you get it working, my stuff is still on order.
post #369 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:

VIP is located in FL but I noticed Johnathan wrote 13/4/11 instead of 4/13/11 like most Americans would.

I noticed the only place thats selling VIP products are from Canada and was
wondering if Johnathan is also from Canada ?

Anyone ?

Doesn't make a difference but I'm just curious Plus my job requires me to take notice of such details

He is from the uk, that's why the date is arranged different.
post #370 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

I ordered a Displayer from Consignia and will be testing it on the Panny AE4000 and Samsung HL61A750 DLP rear proj set. I'm not expecting shipout til next week at best.

Great ...I'll wait for you to post up before making a final decision

Too bad you didn't get the theater version for cable and sat...but hey I'm
happy for the displayer verdict.

Thanks

post #371 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

For $639, that would be a nice down payment on any of the new HDMI 1.4 PJ's that are coming out. Sure, it won't be 1080p, but still, you won't need any middle man-device with their emitter and glasses. Just the source and the new 1.4 PJ.

That's what I was thinking but not sure I want to give up my 1080p.

I just bought a new AVR 2 months ago (Onkyo 3008 ) which is 1.4a and would hate to have to spring for more $ for a 3d 1080p PJ but with my tax return I just might.

Also..it All depends on what other panny ae4000 owners have to say about the VIP product.

post #372 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 02:59 PM

I have a Theatre ordered and I have the PT-AE3000U. So whenever it ships (next week I'm guessing). I'll put up my impressions.
post #373 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM

In my case, the theater unit has been an excellent piece. I think that there are a couple of things that can be done to get the best image possible. IMO, one should resist the temptation to get the very brightest image possible. From my experience, I had to find a happy medium for picture brightness and reduced flickering. It was strange because I noticed that I could almost eliminate the flickering totally with only a very small impact on brightness. Again some people will be more bothered by the flickering than others but for me it is a non-issue. I have a little flicker maybe the first few seconds and after my eyes adjust I have minimal issues. Also on my DLP, ghosting is a non-issue as well. One thing however that I have noticed is slightly increased eye strain in comparison to viewing on my Panasonic VT 25. All in all, the 3D image is quite pleasing and to have a one projector solution that can satisfy the 2D and 3D viewing I am quite happy.
post #374 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Okay, I'm getting purple spots on peoples faces? I'm guessing this is from the 3 dollar 3' hdmi cords from amazon? I may swap them out here in a bit.
post #375 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my Theatre in the mail today. A quick question/confirmation regarding setup for those using the emitter:

5V usb adapter >usb > 3d Theatre
3d Theatre > sync cable > emitter
And of course video signal > hdmi > 3d Theatre > projector

Correct?
Does the emitter need its own power, or will it get it over the sync cable?
post #376 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Just got my Theatre in the mail today. A quick question/confirmation regarding setup for those using the emitter:

5V usb adapter >usb > 3d Theatre
3d Theatre > sync cable > emitter
And of course video signal > hdmi > 3d Theatre > projector

Correct?
Does the emitter need its own power, or will it get it over the sync cable?
It gets 5vdc from the vesa cable attached to the emitter.
post #377 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

It gets 5vdc from the vesa cable attached to the emitter.

Awesome. Thanks.
post #378 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Liked: 12
Hi , I' ve just received E-mail from Jonathan.

I want to buy 1 to 2 Theatre and/or Displayer within monthes, I am wondering about :

Does VIP output 1080@30p / 60p in 3D?
[Jonathan Alexander] 1080@30p

Is it possible to force it to 1080@24p/3D?
[Jonathan Alexander] yes!

What is the new Discover?
[Jonathan Alexander] Distributed 3D solution with 3D-Syncnodes for each room. The 3D-Discover converter comes with an RS232 port to connect to the main controller and allows for multiple rooms to be connected via one unit to display 3D throughout. The 3D-Syncnodes have a DIN connector for the emitter.

Regards,
post #379 of 2247 Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM

For those of you who ordered fron consignia and waiting, what does your order status say? Mine says"order awaiting fulfillment", how about you?
post #380 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Alright, I received my VIP Theatre and the ir emitter today, and I had some time to set it up and try it this evening. My setup consists of an Oppo DBP-93 blu ray player, Motorola HD cable box, Onkyo TX-NR708 (HDMI 1.4) receiver, Samsung LCD tv, and Optoma HD70 DLP projector. For source material I used the Tron: Legacy and Tangled blu-rays.

I first hooked up the Theatre unit just before the projector. I noticed that the glasses were very finicky about the placement of the emitter. I tried putting the emitter back by the projector, thinking the ir would bounce off the screen, but the glasses didn't want to sync; they flickered like they were trying, but they just wouldn't latch onto it. Fortunately, the emitter is very small, so it's unobtrusive at the front of the room.

I finally ended up putting the Theatre inline with the receiver, mostly so I could use it for my LCD as well, but also so I wouldn't need to string a vesa extension to the emitter.

As far as my room setup, it should be noted that the viewing space is also our living room, so it is not light controlled, and the projector is wall-mounted to the side, with horizontal keystone adjustment. The pj is about 14 feet back, throwing a modest 80" or so image. It also should be noted that the pj bulb has over 2000 hours on it... new one should be here by friday!

Impressions:

The unit itself: Easy to plug in and set up. I wish the documentation were better, as it would be nice to see some hookup diagrams, dip switch reference, etc.

Emitter: Didn't have the range I would have liked (maybe someone can try hacking it with a high-power ir LED!). I was pleased that it has a button on top for switching L/R... someone in this thread mentioned that my keystone settings may cause problems because they can offset the signal by a frame; I haven't had any sync problems so far, but it's nice to know that correcting them is just a button-push away.

Projector: The HD70 when it came out was known as a bright projector, but I was disappointed with the results with my current setup. My main concern going in was flicker... it turns out I did not encounter any noticable flicker on my pj, but the picture was *extremely* dark. I also noticed that gradients suffered considerably; adjusting the image gamma helped a bit, but still it was not watchable as it stands now. Keep in mind that there is some ambient light in my room, and a bulb change is pending, so I will withhold final verdict until I fully explore & address these variables. I will keep you posted.

TV: The lcd results were the polar opposite from the projector. I found brightness was not an issue at all... there was almost no noticable difference when I removed the glasses. In lighter colored scenes (for example the almost all-white scene in Tron at Flynn's off-grid residence) the flicker was quite evident; I've heard this can be more apparent on LCD screens, so that seems to hold true. I imagine this could be minimized if I adjusted some settings on the display. I saw little to no ghosting, and the gamma/gradient issues I saw on the Optoma were not present at all.

I also could not get the 3d from my cable provider to work... TWC uses top/bottom, if anyone has suggections on how to force the VIP to decode this, I welcome your input.

Summary:

Provided equipment - adequate for getting started; the emitter was a pleasant surprise in terms of size & features.
LCD tv results - Good brightness & color, some flicker.
DLP Projector - No flicker, but troublesome image & brightness issues. Again, I will withhold final verdict until I change out the lamp & experiment with room settings.

Edit: Please see my updated results in post 426.
post #381 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Alright, I received my VIP Theatre and the ir emitter today, and I had some time to set it up and try it this evening. My setup consists of an Oppo DBP-93 blu ray player, Motorola HD cable box, Onkyo TX-NR708 (HDMI 1.4) receiver, Samsung LCD tv, and Optoma HD70 DLP projector. For source material I used the Tron: Legacy and Tangled blu-rays.

I first hooked up the Theatre unit just before the projector. I noticed that the glasses were very finicky about the placement of the emitter. I tried putting the emitter back by the projector, thinking the ir would bounce off the screen, but the glasses didn't want to sync; they flickered like they were trying, but they just wouldn't latch onto it. Fortunately, the emitter is very small, so it's unobtrusive at the front of the room.

I finally ended up putting the Theatre inline with the receiver, mostly so I could use it for my LCD as well, but also so I wouldn't need to string a vesa extension to the emitter.

As far as my room setup, it should be noted that the viewing space is also our living room, so it is not light controlled, and the projector is wall-mounted to the side, with horizontal keystone adjustment. The pj is about 14 feet back, throwing a modest 80" or so image. It also should be noted that the pj bulb has over 2000 hours on it... new one should be here by friday!

Impressions:

The unit itself: Easy to plug in and set up. I wish the documentation were better, as it would be nice to see some hookup diagrams, dip switch reference, etc.

Emitter: Didn't have the range I would have liked (maybe someone can try hacking it with a high-power ir LED!). I was pleased that it has a button on top for switching L/R... someone in this thread mentioned that my keystone settings may cause problems because they can offset the signal by a frame; I haven't had any sync problems so far, but it's nice to know that correcting them is just a button-push away.

Projector: The HD70 when it came out was known as a bright projector, but I was disappointed with the results with my current setup. My main concern going in was flicker... it turns out I did not encounter any noticable flicker on my pj, but the picture was *extremely* dark. I also noticed that gradients suffered considerably; adjusting the image gamma helped a bit, but still it was not watchable as it stands now. Keep in mind that there is some ambient light in my room, and a bulb change is pending, so I will withhold final verdict until I fully explore & address these variables. I will keep you posted.

TV: The lcd results were the polar opposite from the projector. I found brightness was not an issue at all... there was almost no noticable difference when I removed the glasses. In lighter colored scenes (for example the almost all-white scene in Tron at Flynn's off-grid residence) the flicker was quite evident; I've heard this can be more apparent on LCD screens, so that seems to hold true. I imagine this could be minimized if I adjusted some settings on the display. I saw little to no ghosting, and the gamma/gradient issues I saw on the Optoma were not present at all.

I also could not get the 3d from my cable provider to work... TWC uses top/bottom, if anyone has suggections on how to force the VIP to decode this, I welcome your input.

Summary:

Provided equipment - adequate for getting started; the emitter was a pleasant surprise in terms of size & features.
DLP Projector - No flicker, but troublesome image & brightness issues. Again, I will withhold final verdict until I change out the lamp & experiment with room settings.

Thanks for posting your impressions, I also have a HD70 (252 hours on bulb) and I'm curious about what settings you used to test the 3D Theatre.

Was the lamp on bright or eco?
What about the True Vivid and Brilliant Color options, did you have them on for the test?

Many thanks,
Moo.
post #382 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvramalgam View Post

For those of you who ordered fron consignia and waiting, what does your order status say? Mine says"order awaiting fulfillment", how about you?

Same here, I placed it 4/9th.
post #383 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:

Impressions:

Summary:

Just thought Id jump in here again and say you probably dont see the flicker on your dlp because its not bright enough. 60 hz flicker should be the exact same regardless of dlp, crt, lcd, or plasma. How bright is the 70 with a new bulb? I had acceptable brightness on my hd65 at 1600 lumens, but I have less than 300 hours on it. I ended up turning down brightness and contrast so flickering is not quite as noticeable. If you dont mind the flicker and can get it bright enough, 3d on a dlp is very good.
post #384 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 05:24 AM

Will the VIP theatre work with the Optoma HD20 1080p projector?
post #385 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Would this also work on an old Hitachi 65" CRT Rear Projection HDTV?
post #386 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Just to throw this out there....

Anyone have one of the old Virtual FX setups? It worked great @ 480i/60hz. Think the glasses would work with the VIP system? If so, it would REALLY cut down on the cost of glasses.

I have a Panny 4K, it will be a while before I can actually hang it though, so if someone else is closer to testing out those glasses with the VIP, I'd really appreciate it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #387 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM

Has anyone tested this with the 120HZ Sanyo 1080p Z4000? I'm thinking of getting this and the VIP Theatre. Wondering if the 120HZ refresh would help with the flicker issues. Like all of us I'm looking for the best of both worlds 3D + 1080P without flicker. Thanks for the help!
post #388 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshy0666 View Post

Has anyone tested this with the 120HZ Sanyo 1080p Z4000? I'm thinking of getting this and the VIP Theatre. Wondering if the 120HZ refresh would help with the flicker issues. Like all of us I'm looking for the best of both worlds 3D + 1080P without flicker. Thanks for the help!

The manual shows that model only going up to 85hz...
post #389 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey all, I'm back, hope I can be helpful with some answers from my experience.

In regards to Anyone using this with an Optoma HD66, and the Vip Glasses.

1. Dipswitch #1 on Theatre unit set to up, In fact all Dip's up.
2. Any 3D options on the projector disabled,(No DLP Link, No Nividia)
3. On the emitter Press The right Button labled VGA/DVI until it shows RED! Not Green.(You should have 1 Green light left, and one red light right.)
4. Then Use the left Sync button to your preference for your eyes.

That should be it for the Optoma.

If you are using DLP Link, or Ninvidia, Make sure those options are turned on In the projector menu, Under the display tab. I do not have DLP link Glasses or I would Test That.

For Those Using it with a 60HZ Projector, DLP (Like Optoma HD 65, 70)

1.Make sure Dip switch #1 is in the down position for 60hz usage.
2.Follow the same steps above as in regards to the emitter, I had the best Picture with the light combination being, Left light GREEN, Right light RED
3. Adjust left button sync to your taste.

For those using it with an LCD TV or projector, at 60hz.

1.Make sure dip switch #1 Is in down position for 60hz.
2.Play with the buttons on the emitter, the settings have varied for me on different sets, sometimes both green was the best, sometimes the Red green combo worked better.
3. If you are seeing ghosting on some PS3 games go into the menu options on the games and reduce the 3D effect to your taste. I found this to be very helpful on some sets.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my test unit the P1 button is used to force SbS, and TnB for things like my Comcast cable which is HDMI 1.3.

The cycle is...........

1 press of the P1 Button to force SbS
2 nd press of the P1 button to force TnB
3rd press returns the unit to Normal auto state.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Everyone is going to be different in their perception of things like flicker, and I will say this again,........Hmmmm Hmmmm,...

If you are going to watch the Winter Xgames on Espn and stare at the white snow, are you going to see the flicker? Hell Yes!

Are some going to see it more than others? Hell Yes! To me the flicker was not an issue once I settled in and let my eyes adjust to what I was watching, It actually became a non issue for me with my 60hz Epson. That being said that is only my opinion and I respect others opinions on this matter, 3D isn't for everyone.

Hope this was helpful in some way.

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #390 of 2247 Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM

@ thebard,

Thanks so much for your Samsung LCD review. I to have a Samsung LCD, Mine has a 8ms response time.

I would only use the unit on a LCD tv. Knowing that, would you still purchase the unit only for an LCD?

I have seen many 3d TV's but am not to familiar with this flicker.

I don't want to spend this much money on something that will grow old quickly so an honest opinion is much appreciated. And yes I know the flicker is different for everyone but it seems to bother everyone so far in there reviews.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page