post #31 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonalex89 View Post

VIP is unaware of anyone else other than our supplier providing 60Hz/120Hz IR Active Shutter glasses with emitter. Therefore, I suggest that you purchase your glasses with us. Having said that, if someone else does provide such glasses, we would like to know in order to test and give our blessings for you to purchase from the source.

The MonsterVision 3D glasses support IR and can do 60Hz/120Hz. Does the Theatre incorporate a VESA 1997.11 standard connector (I see the connector in the pic, not sure if it conforms to the standard though)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Projectors use non wobulated DLP chips and 1080p DLP non wobulated chips that can refresh at 120Hz are either not yet available or are still very expensive. Rear Projecton DLP systems use wobulated 1080p chips so they actually can only display 960x1080 per eye at 60fps which is the same resolution that they receive with the Checkerboard 3D format. This is why 3D DLP projectors display 3D at 720p/60 per eye since they have non wobulated DLP chips that can refresh 1280x720 frames at 120Hz.
post #33 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I own the Acer 5360 3D DLP @ 120hz and also the JVC RS15 which is 96hz, 48 hz to each eye. I can tell you going back and forth, the image from the Acer is rock solid, and I can always sense the faintest flickering on the JVC. I am sensitive to flicker and can pick it up pretty easily. Most JVC owners won't even notice if they didn't see the Acer as well.

I would be concerned about only 30hz to each eye, i think the flicker would drive me a bit mad going based on my experience @ 96/48hz on the JVC. The 120/60Hz 3D of the Acer is easy on my eyes.

@Deja Vu - this should be interested to hear about the Epson with this device compared to the Acer 3D DLP. Why won't they come up with a 1080P version of their own, they would probably be cheaper/better than the Sharp 1080P/3D model.

Thanks, for the clarification! So do you still input 120hz off the device then to achieve 48hz per eye? As 48 still sounds much better than 30. Also which one of the devices are you using?
post #34 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a photo of the glasses and emitter that VIP sells for the 60hz/120hz solution...............................

Attachment 206609
Attachment 206610
Attachment 206611

Had them in another thread, figured I would put them here as well.
LL
LL
LL

Wake me when HD gets Here!
post #35 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

Has anyone tested this with PS3/Xbox 3D Black Ops and 3D TV Broadcasts (i.e. TnB and SbS 3D formats)? I see no mention of it. Is that Canadian site the only place to purchase the Theatre unit? Thanks.

I don't Have Black ops anymore, but maybe I will rent it to try it with the VIP Theatre, maybe this weekend if I have time.

I have tried PS3 Games that are available as Demos, and they work Great.

I will this weekend also test Crysis, as the multiplayer demo available thru XBOX live is 3D, but I don't anticipate any problems.

I also just had Starz and HBO added back on my Comcast account so I will test Their 3D offerings as well. They are SBS, while everything in the OnDemand and ESPN are in Over and Under format.

post #36 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Oh shoot, so ONDemand and ESPN won't work then?
post #37 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogs View Post

Oh shoot, so ONDemand and ESPN won't work then?

They should with no problem The Theatre supports 26 Different modes, and the way I get them it should be no problem, as the theatre supports those modes.

720p Over and under
1080i side by side are definately supported.

post #38 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezbrgr2 View Post

They should with no problem The Theatre supports 26 Different modes, and the way I get them it should be no problem, as the theatre supports those modes.

720p Over and under

Oh man... now I'm really thinking on holding off on the upcoming 720 pjs in favor of this unit and a 1080p projector. My thinking is that if I get something like this device I can get a cheaper 1080p unit and skate for a couple of years until the technology changes again. I'd primarily be using it for ps3 3d blu rays and directv. Any thoughts on that? I think a few of us are in the same boat.

And by the way, thanks a ton for all of your work here. I've spent hours trying to put it all together - I can't imagine being the one actually doing the work!
post #39 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What is suppported are the HDMI 1.4a 3D broadcast 1080i SbS and 720p TnB formats see:
http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=120
These fomats are 1/2 R formats, for example the 1080i SbS format consists of a right eye and a left eye 960x1080 field stored side by side in a 1080p frame. These fields have to be decompressed by upscaling them to full 1920x 1080 frames.
The frames are then downscaled to 720p/60 right an left eye frames and output at 120Hz for display by the PJ.
post #40 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM

As those who’ve been reading along with the “Official 3D-XL Owners Thread” know, my first choice for 3D conversion was the 3D-XL; however, after too long of a wait and far too many undelivered schedules, I forsook the 3D-XL path and went for the VIP 3D-Theatre product. In other words, I got tired of waiting for the 3D-XL, and I recently bought and received a VIP 3D-Theatre. THANKS, Jonathan!!

Before telling you what I've found so far, I'll first tell you a little about myself in the interest of qualifying my comments and the perspective from which they are rendered. I am not in any way affiliated with anyone who sells any of the products that I am discussing here. I am completely independent. I have not been compensated in any way by anyone for anything I am writing. I paid full price for the products I am reviewing. I‘m a perfectionist and a fairly picky audiophile and videophile. I'm the kind of perfectionist that listened to scores of different audio systems and speakers for months before making a selection—the guy who, after doing all that auditioning, still found his 5.1 set of Vienna Acoustics Beethovens/Maestro a little too strained at high volume, his 5.1 set of JM Lab Electra a little too grainy in high frequencies, and his B&K Ref 30 a little too noisy on quiet tracks. I’m the guy who finds the scratch on the paint, or the unlevel picture on the wall, that no one else notices. If you’ve ever watched the series, Monk, you know what I mean. Some say I’m weird because of my attention to detail.

Why am I telling you this, though? I’m telling you all of this to let you know, before you read my review, that I'm not one to normally gloss lightly over imperfections. If I do, it’s because I find them insignificant. If I find the quality of something to be “acceptable”, or even “very good”, chances are that the average person will find that to be an understatement.

This is an important foreword, in my opinion, because small points of praise or criticism can be easily taken far too seriously, or not seriously enough, by the average reader when someone is rendering a review of audio-visual equipment, not only because everyone has a vastly different threshold for what is good versus bad, but also because A/V reviewers tend to over-criticize everything while failing to effectively convey the overall net value of the criticisms they impart, to the extent of causing some people to fear and fret over things the average consumer would actually find to be insignificant if even noticeable. There is a lot of subjectivity in an audio-visual review, and sometimes something that’s no big deal at all can be made to sound like a deal-breaking problem. So, I’m going to give you my personal opinions as a picky audio-video nerd who has a respect for making sure the average reader is not lost in jargon or scared away by obsessive nit-picking that doesn’t amount to a hill of proverbial beans in the real man’s world.

Having read some unsettling reviews, I worried a lot about the brightness and effective resolution of the HD 66 with ANY 3D setup. At least one reviewer reported that the projector dropped to less than 700 lumens in 3D mode, and that the glasses would naturally cut that to an effective 200-300. Another poster in an AVS thread had me briefly concerned about a DLP-Link synchronization issue that people started calling “pseudo stereo”. Then, there was the screen size and gain. Most people using this projector for 3D are projecting screen sizes somewhere around 100 inches, and some are using high-gain screens. Some even said that the image in 3D was “soft”; others said the picture was too dark; others said it was just fine. Finally, there was the glasses question. Which one has the best transmittance and contrast? So, I asked a lot of questions and did a fair amount of research, but I ultimately resolved that I would just have to try it for myself. As you'll find in reading further, my expectations were exceeded, and my fears were rendered a waste of time (SO FAR).

OK, here's what I can tell you so far.

Unboxing:

The VIP 3D-Theatre that I received is a pre-release version. I ordered it with one set of DLP-Link glasses. It came in an unmarked box with a USB cord and the glasses inside. A power supply and manual were not included, but I do not know if they will be included when the final street version is shipped. For my needs, Jonathan sent me the manual via email, and I used a 5V DC power supply that I already had. You may be able to power the unit off of a USB port on the average Blu-ray player, but they only support about 100ma, so I can’t say for sure until the electrical specifications are formally published for the Theatre.

Test Equipment:

Screen: 135” Elite VMAX II, Matte White, 1.1 gain
Projector: Optoma HD66, firmware uncertain but believed to be latest
Projector Distance: Approx 16’
Glasses: Set A: VIP (No, they are not the same glasses as Ultra-Clear.); Set B: Ultra-Clear
Cable: 40 feet of Auvio (Radio Shack) with Auvio Repeater
HDMI Switcher: Rocketfish
3D Converter: VIP 3D-Theatre

Testing:

I first tested the unit with the Despicable Me 3D Blu-ray at noon on a bright, sunny day, with a considerable amount of light coming into the moderately-darkened room. Right now, you’re probably expecting me to start telling you how dim the image was or how washed out the blacks were, but to my complete, blissful surprise, contrary to the professional reviews on this model of projector, I had to contain my urge to squeal like a school girl at a Springsteen concert as I found myself staring unexpectedly at a very BRIGHT, BOLD, perfectly-synced 3D picture. I was also surprised to find that, contrary to at least one professional review I read on this projector, the brightness, contrast, and other settings on the projector were available for adjustment in 3D mode. The reviewer said that when he selected 3D mode on the HD66, the projector overrode any brightness or other adjustments he made. Contrary to his review, my projector still offered me full functionality and control. This may be due to the version of the firmware; I do not know. I adjusted brightness and contrast at will, but I found that the same setting I had already selected were just fine. I had already spent considerable time tweaking the settings for the perfect 2D picture.

My second test was with a significantly darkened room at night. The lights in the next room were on and spilled into the theater room. To summarize, let me just say this: IMAX at home, if not better. OK, OK, that may be a slight overstatement (maybe, but, honestly, not by much if it is), but that was the honest feel and the reaction from the whole family, including myself. The colors, saturation, black levels, and brightness are not quite as perfect as the IMAX in every way, and are also not as good as the same projector in 2D mode without the glasses on, but I have to be honest with you by telling you that this system just flat out JAMS in 3D. Asking for more is just being spoiled, especially at the price (but even regardless of the price). I’d say that complaining about this setup would be kind of like having Jennifer Lopez for a girlfriend and complaining because she has too much junk in the trunk.

My third test was with the PS3’s Call of Duty: Black Ops. It was excellent, stunning, beautiful. I have nothing more or less to say than that.

My final test was with DirecTV 3D at noon. As with all other tests, the performance was, again, excellent.

From all my tests, I must say that I am very pleased with the brightness, contrast, color, and basically everything else. I noticed no flicker, no ghosting, and the only jitters that I did notice are about the same as I notice at the IMAX 3D theater, anyway. In fact, I notice a lot MORE flicker when I attend the finest 2D theatre in town (an IMAX theatre).

The Glasses:

Another thing I’ve read and posted about is the glasses. There is some discussion about figuring out which glasses are the best to buy and which ones have the best transmittance and contrast. I thought this was going to be a big deal, based on the brightness concerns I read. However, in my tests, the cheap glasses that came with the unit worked very well, as did the Ultra-Clears. The slight green tint of the Ultra-Clears is so slight that it is practically negligible, and I actually ended up determining that I may like them better than the brighter and uncolored VIP glasses. Both glasses performed with excellence. I really can’t make any valid complaint over either of them. From start to finish, the impression is “awesome!”

The Verdict:

Just buy it! It rocks! It does exactly what it says it will do, and it does it very, very well. Finding something to criticize with this system is nothing short of nit picking. If you’re not happy with this thing, well, you probably won’t be pleased with much else, either.

Through all of my tests, I noted a few things that I find most important to report to folks who are reading reviews and trying to wade through them to make a decision. First, regardless of whether you’re playing PS3 games, watching a Blu-ray, or viewing DirecTV, you don’t have to push any buttons or change any settings. It just works. There is, however, a set of dip switches that might be employed if you, for example, want to watch 3D on a 60Hz TV. Second, too many people say that the HD66 is too dim in 3D and had faded blacks. I can’t tell you what they found, or what kind of conditions in which they found them, but in EVERY one of my tests, I found the system to be AMPLY BRIGHT and beautifully black, even on my 135”, 1.1-gain screen from 16 feet. In fact, some scenes are just a touch too bright (not to the extent of being a “bad thing”, though). Third, I think a power supply should be offered with the sale of this unit, but it is easy enough to pick one up at Radio Shack. Fourth, I had expected to have to buy an expensive “3D-capable” HDMI switch, but the inexpensive Rocketfish worked fine. Fifth, the glasses were just fine. Don’t sweat them. Finally, there's the "pseudo-stereo problem" with DLP-Link. It's not an issue. About half the time, you look at the title screen when you're first initiating a session, and you will notice that the items that should obviously be in the foreground are not distanced correctly from the obvious background. Things look out of sorts. You click "invert" in your projector's 3D menu, and you're done. It's simple, and certainly nothing to worry about. No, it will not drive you crazy.

Now, this is for the picky videophiles out there.

Yes, there are some weaknesses to this system, just as there are with any system. Nope, it’s not as bright and rich as it is in 2D, but it’s plenty bright enough, and rich enough, for the material I watched. There may be some movies out there that are inherently dark, and they may have a problem with this system. I have not yet confirmed that fear, however. If you cannot adequately darken your room, you may want to wait for something brighter, but don’t take that statement too seriously. Some people would be satisfied with this in a half-dark room. I watch most of my stuff at night.

There is a little bit of getting used to the glasses, and the fluidity of motion is sometimes compromised during rapid movements of characters on the screen, but no more than at the commercial IMAX. I've always noticed this kind of thing in the commercial theaters, too.

Unlike IMAX 3D, though, as I said above, ghosting is utterly absent with this system, and flicker is not apparent. I generally DO notice ghosting at the IMAX 3D.

The resolution is excellent with this system, and the drop in resolution from 1080P to 720P was not noticed by anyone in my test room, except for maybe just the slightest, most miniscule degradation that I noticed, but it was so slight that I would only notice it briefly at times and think it might actually be my eyes (my eyes have always wrestled a little with 3D). Yes, I suppose one might be accurate in saying that the image is slightly "softer", but the word, "slightly", should be emphasized.

For anyone who does not have a serious bent for anal retention and a diagnosed condition of untreated OCD—and even for those who DO—I say this: buy with confidence, and stop reading nay-saying reviews. So far, the VIP 3D-Theatre is a great product that does exactly what it’s supposed to do, and the HD66 projector is an excellent match. In short, I have to say that the VIP 3D-Theatre, the HD66, and the other products mentioned herein combine to form a system is very much on par with commercial Real-D and IMAX theaters, with the obvious exceptions of screen size, audio power, and brightness (which, again, I found to be just fine).

Note: this is only my personal opinion and the opinion of three other viewers along side me in the test room. This does not mean that anyone else’s opinion is less valid or less intelligent. An opinion is an opinion, and not everyone has the same threshold. No offense to anyone with differing opinions, but if you’re an average person rather than a very, VERY picky videophlie, and you are worrying, stop. If you’re hesitating, don’t. If you’re waiting on the 3D-XL, but have a chance at buying a VIP 3D-Theatre in the mean time, buy the VIP 3D-Theatre, hook it to your HD66, and enjoy. Don't worry about the glasses. Either buy the VIP ones, or get some Ultra-Clears. They are both fine choices.

WELL DONE, VIP!! I am a satisfied customer.

Thanks for all the chat, company, answers, and help during the long wait time for the 3D conversion products to hit the street, guys. I enjoyed it. Congrats to those of you lucky enough to have received 3D-XL's and VIP's so far. As for the rest, just be patient; it's worth the wait.
post #41 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't Have Black ops anymore, but maybe I will rent it to try it with the VIP Theatre, maybe this weekend if I have time.

If you do please let us know. I have a JVC RS40 that I'm returning because the performance with 3D games has too much ghosting. On the other hand, a user with a 3D flat panel said when you aim the gun in Black Ops, it pops out of the screen like you were holding it in front of you. I want that! lol
post #42 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:

If you do please let us know. I have a JVC RS40 because the performance with 3D games. So much ghosting. A user with a 3D flat panel said when you aim the gun it pops out of the screen like you were holding it in front of you. I want that! lol

I know my review above is a long read, so I'll make this short.

I have tested Black Ops on the PS3 in 3D with the VIP 3D-Theatre, and it looks excellent. DirecTV looks great, too. The unit has beautifully handled everything I've thrown at it. Keep in mind that these tests were all in 120hz with DLP-Link. I am planning a test on the 60Hz with IR soon.
post #43 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchacovered View Post

I know my review above is a long read, so I'll make this short.

I have tested Black Ops on the PS3 in 3D with the VIP 3D-Theatre, and it looks excellent. DirecTV looks great, too. The unit has beautifully handled everything I've thrown at it. Keep in mind that these tests were all in 120hz with DLP-Link. I am planning a test on the 60Hz with IR soon.

I thought your review was great; funny and entertaining. So there was no ghosting with black ops? Would you say the gun pops out of the screen at you, or is that an exaggeration? Definitely let me know the same with 60Hz when you test it, because that's how I'll be using it.
post #44 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:

720p Over and under

Cool thanks. What about Xbox 360? Should work right? Sounds like it should work with just about everything.
post #45 of 2247 Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I thought your review was great; funny and entertaining. So there was no ghosting with black ops? Would you say the gun pops out of the screen at you, or is that an exaggeration? Definitely let me know the same with 60Hz when you test it, because that's how I'll be using it.

No ghosting. The image is solid and clean. The gun does appear to dangle in the air, so to speak. That was actually one of the first things I noticed and mentioned to my counterparts in the room when we tested Black Ops. The chrome pistol in zombie mode really floats out there. I wouldn't describe it as "popping out", but that's subjective. What I can tell you is that when I was reviewing the VIP, one of my kids was reaching out into the air to touch things. To my eyes, 3D seems to be more about depth these days, whether it be in the commerical theater or at home.

Really, the best I can tell you is that it just looks really, really cool.

What I really look forward to testing is the 3D Gran Tourismo, sitting way up close, down low, with a steering wheel in my hand and a gear shifter. Now, THAT should be very interesting.

The bottom line is that it works very well, and I can't find anything to complain about or want to improve. I can't speak yet for the 60Hz mode, but when and if I can test that, I intend to let you know what I find.
post #46 of 2247 Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I really look forward to testing is the 3D Gran Tourismo, sitting way up close, down low, with a steering wheel in my hand and a gear shifter. Now, THAT should be very interesting.

DAMN! Now I have to go get a steering wheel!!!!

Thanks for posting your review Gotcha, when I first read it I knew it had to be here.

I completely forgot to test Gran Turismo, I have played it on my Plasma, and my only complaint was on the in car view there was a double image in the hands, wheel and dash area. I preferred the Hood view. Will try it again soon. My theatre is once again ripped apart, so there won't be much this weekend, sorry I know I said I would but,........SH!!!

post #47 of 2247 Old 03-26-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No ghosting. The image is solid and clean. The gun does appear to dangle in the air, so to speak. That was actually one of the first things I noticed and mentioned to my counterparts in the room when we tested Black Ops. The chrome pistol in zombie mode really floats out there. I wouldn't describe it as "popping out", but that's subjective. What I can tell you is that when I was reviewing the VIP, one of my kids was reaching out into the air to touch things. To my eyes, 3D seems to be more about depth these days, whether it be in the commerical theater or at home.

Really, the best I can tell you is that it just looks really, really cool.

The bottom line is that it works very well, and I can't find anything to complain about or want to improve. I can't speak yet for the 60Hz mode, but when and if I can test that, I intend to let you know what I find.

sounds excellent! Thanks!
post #48 of 2247 Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Is there anything that would stop me from putting a switch in the chain after the VIP Theater so that I could run the signal to my 60hz tv in the family room? I do recall seeing the use of a switch in the first review of this product. I'm thinking that I could get a second emitter to put in that room (assuming I need a different one in my home theater room - not sure about that yet) and turn that tv into a 3d tv as well. At worst I'd have to manually plug in the emitter that I wanted into the back of the theater but 95% of the time I'd be watching the same tv anyway. This could be what closes the deal for me.
post #49 of 2247 Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 AM

I have done alot of testing on sbs, 1080p/60 is the only video output that doesnt work. You can also force sbs to work on the theatre with the #2 dip switch. It works with a hdmi 1.3 input from my wd tv live media player. For the better 3d effect I ended up moving my couch 2 feet closer to the screen. Now I notice more objects popping out of the screen.
post #50 of 2247 Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brews21 View Post

I have done alot of testing on sbs, 1080p/60 is the only video output that doesnt work.

Would this be an issue of my source was a ps3 blu ray?
post #51 of 2247 Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have some questions:
1) will Nvidia emitter and glasses work?;
2) will there be excessive flicker using my Epson 9500 1080p projector and I assume I can input a 1080p/60hz (or is it 1080p/24hz?) signal from the VIP box fed from a 3D BD player;
3) If I use the Epson's frame interpolation am I now outputting 1080p/120hz and will the glasses sync to both 60hz and 120hz?

Thanks for any help.
post #52 of 2247 Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

3) If I use the Epson's frame interpolation am I now outputting 1080p/120hz and will the glasses sync to both 60hz and 120hz?

That's a great question. I hope it gets answered, I would like to know as well.
post #53 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post

Is there anything that would stop me from putting a switch in the chain after the VIP Theater so that I could run the signal to my 60hz tv in the family room? I do recall seeing the use of a switch in the first review of this product. I'm thinking that I could get a second emitter to put in that room (assuming I need a different one in my home theater room - not sure about that yet) and turn that tv into a 3d tv as well. At worst I'd have to manually plug in the emitter that I wanted into the back of the theater but 95% of the time I'd be watching the same tv anyway. This could be what closes the deal for me.

I wouldnt see why not, I had one of the RocketFish 1 in 2 out in line after the Theatre unit, in some of my initial testing thats how I was getting the signal to both my Epson and The Samsung plasma, and I do not remember it not working.

I do remember the HDCP from the Samsung BDC5900 being a complete pain in the as though!!! So I would think it would be more of a question of the switch handling the signal more than anything else. I'm sure, (I have not looked) that Monoprice has a solution, check there.

No to change your idea, but the theatre is very small, and with the hookups being simple HDMI, you could just take it to the TV in the other room. In my first testing of the unit, I had the PS3 and the Theatre on a TV Table, and just carried the tray from room to room!!!

But I do realize what you want to do!

Also I have not been able to get to much this weekend, as my Home Thetare is once again in transition. I am putting in a new receiver. I bought a Yamaha RX-V867. This unit has 6 HDMI in (Yeah!!) and Dual output, just what I needed!!! So next week I will be able to tell you how the theatre functions with that inline. Bye bye ONK TXSR805, you will be missed.

post #54 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post

Few questions:

So I'm thinking of using this thing with my JVC RS20. Now I know the RS20 can display 120hz, but I was under the impression that any non-3d ready 120 hz display can really only take 60hz from the input and double that internally. So would I be outputting 60hz from the VIP theater or displayer then with my projector for this to work?

Would I notice any increased performance in regards to flicker or perceived performance with my JVC over say the Epson 8100 that Chezbrgr2 tested? I am pretty confident this will work, but am I relegated to only 30hz per eye? If so how does this look really?

I guess I'm trying to understand how this works with non-3d ready 120hz displays, is there really going to be any difference between them and 60hz displays? Am I missing something here on how I was let to believe the tech works.

Will be interested to hear your results with the RS20 as I have the equivalent HD750. I haven't been at all interested in 3D so far but at the low price of the VIP 3D I might be tempted in the future.
post #55 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post
I have an HDMI switch between my sources and my VIP, and it works fine, so I see no obvious reason why the switch would pose a problem behind the VIP. I would have expected more problems with the switch between the source and the VIP, but I have none.

Of course, electronics don't always follow our hypotheticals, so this would have to be tested.
post #56 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I have an HDMI switch between my sources and my VIP, and it works fine, so I see no obvious reason why the switch would pose a problem behind the VIP. I would have expected more problems with the switch between the source and the VIP, but I have none.

Of course, electronics don't always follow our hypotheticals, so this would have to be tested.

Thanks Gotcha and Chez, I appreciate the responses. As I've said in various forums I'm really on the fence with a lot of this stuff. I'm looking to get a 3d solution in the $1200 to $1500 range at most. Part of me thinks that I should buy this device along with a sub-$500 720 projector and skate with that for a year or two. Any quick advice on that? I'm not in a huge hurry as I'm still working on my home theater room.

Also, does anyone know if the emitter and glasses sold by VIP are DLP? If so that might be what makes this a winner for me as I had planned on going in that direction anyway.
post #57 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM

My advice is to go with one of the cheaper solutions, such as a VIP with a 720P, because the technology is subject to rapid growth and development at this point, and you may end up wanting to rebuy in a couple of years (or even less). I have flat-out excellent 3D for $1200, while you could spend $5000-$15000 ,and I doubt you'd even notice an appreciable difference--except in your bank balance, where you would notice a DEpreciable difference. The only things I might consider as alternatives at this point are the upcoming Acer 5360BD and the Vivitek D538, but neither of those are available, and we don't know for sure when they will be. As far as I can tell, the VIP 3D-Theatre is the best solution that is available now or within the nearer future. The 3D-XL runs a close second in my book. The good thing about the VIP 3D-Theatre over the integrated projectors that don't need a 3D box is that you can use the VIP on other 3D-ready and NON-3D displays. If you buy the system I have, and can darken your room decently, I think you'll be very happy. I hope that helps.
post #58 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
To be clear, the VIP Theater comes with no glasses or emitter, correct?

So the actual price is about $630...

Robert Clark
post #59 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

To be clear, the VIP Theater comes with no glasses or emitter, correct?

So the actual price is about $630...

Correct if you do not have a 3D dlplink qualified projector. If you do, then you don't need the emitter and normal dlplink glasses will work
post #60 of 2247 Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM

That's partially correct. The unit comes alone for $499. With a set of DLP-Link glasses, it's $569, and with IR glasses and emitter, it's $628. You can save $10 per pair of DLP-Link glasses by buying Ultra-Clears.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page