Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

Did the new unit ever get released? I had heard it was expected back in March or April??? Never heard back from the sales guy. After thinking it over, I decided to go with the Acer H9500BD. It only ended up costing me about $600 more and it's a significant upgrade from my Sanyo Z2000 as far as the picture goes. The glasses are cheaper too (have 3 pair).

I'm happy with it except that it is "NOT" the most reliable projector on the market from what I can tell (My Sanyo was rock solid for years). Some people have had no problems, but a significant group have.

Anyway, I wanted to find out what PJs people were using with it and what V sync rates they were able to utilize (as well as how they like the unit). It's a really smart idea and I like the approach they took. I needed a bridge until a dual passive system made sense for me and decided on the Acer....great picture by the way if you like DLP. Even with a slight HDMI blurring, which is evidently being fixed, the picture is crisp and plenty bright. The 3D rocks...

At this point I do not believe TheaterPlus has been released. The nuptials of 3DVIP and 3DNow may be taking longer than either expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

At this point I do not believe TheaterPlus has been released. The nuptials of 3DVIP and 3DNow may be taking longer than either expected.

Thanks, but I wish you had phrased things differently. I may not be able to sleep tonight.....

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

They're going to miss the boat if they wait much longer. I expect full 1.4a compliant 3D projectors to start coming in at around $1200-1300. I got mine for under $1500 with no shipping, no tax, and a pair of glasses.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well its been over a year since I bought the 3D Theatre and its been rock solid with everything I have fed it. Still wish there we more good 3D movies available though.

At least the Theatre unit has been rock solid in the HDMI handshaking area with 2D and 3D video. Different color spaces and all works great. Been dealing with HDMI problems with the Darbeevision Darblet which is a new product. I had no issues with the 3D Theatre and it was also a new product back then. Well done VIP!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

They're going to miss the boat if they wait much longer. I expect full 1.4a compliant 3D projectors to start coming in at around $1200-1300. I got mine for under $1500 with no shipping, no tax, and a pair of glasses.

Understand that their market really isn't to compete with new 3D-capable displays. It's to give people like me who have older equipment that they don't want to replace the option to view 3D content. As such, it works very well indeed.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

Understand that their market really isn't to compete with new 3D-capable displays. It's to give people like me who have older equipment that they don't want to replace the option to view 3D content. As such, it works very well indeed.

I understand that. It's just that with a $599 price tag (which I heard is what the new model costs) along with $179 for an emitter and a pair of glasses (again, what I was told by the rep months ago....maybe prices have changed??), and whatever a couple new pair of glasses cost, people might (and probably would) opt to spend a hundred or so dollars and get a new 3D PJ and just keep or sell their existing one.

I've always said this was a very clever, creative idea and wish them well. The new box has, as I understand it, higher V sync rate capabilities which could be very useful to a lot of people. It's taken way too long to get on the market and I think that's a shame.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can anybody post some specifics on the difference between Theater and Theater PLUS? One vendor sent out a sale email today with a very good price on the Theater but I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by not waiting a little longer. I have an Epson 1080UB if that matters.

Thanks,
-bob

HDTV in my home since 1999.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody?

HDTV in my home since 1999.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

I hope to be talking to Jonathan early this week and maybe he can shed light on the delay of TheaterPlus. With 3DVIP going to direct
release of the 3DEvolver it makes me wonder about whether TheaterPlus will remain with 3DNow. A few months back I made comment
regarding the joint operation of the two companies on whether the marriage would hold up. It seems doubtful at this point in my view.

Hopefully I can find out more so you can make a comparison between the two products and a more firm release date of the Plus.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I sure hope we can get some answers. I waiting to decide what to do with my 3D ready 65" Mits now that I've hung my Panny 4K. (I know, I know...I should have waited for the Panny 7K, but It was such a good deal!)

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer View Post

Can anybody post some specifics on the difference between Theater and Theater PLUS? One vendor sent out a sale email today with a very good price on the Theater but I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by not waiting a little longer. I have an Epson 1080UB if that matters.
Thanks,
-bob

Bob,

I managed to talk to Jonathan this morning. The TheaterPlus supports 3D 1080P/60, 7.1 channel audio and the frequency brackets. 3DNow will more than likely be handling the eventual release based on their own schedule. If you are interested in one, as a courtesy to AVS Forum, Jonathan will sell a few direct, so contact him via the 3D-VIP website. I will be obtaining one myself at a later date.

http://www.3d-vip.com/
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I sure hope we can get some answers. I waiting to decide what to do with my 3D ready 65" Mits now that I've hung my Panny 4K. (I know, I know...I should have waited for the Panny 7K, but It was such a good deal!)

Hi Tom,

Hopefully my post# 1991 will help you. If you write Jonathan just mention SgtVideo referred you to him and your an AVS Forum member.

Yep, I still have my Panny 4K and it has low hours on it. I hope to try the Plus on it at 72hz.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Thanks, Sarge! I'll look into it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM

I've tested the VIP 3D-Theatre (RF glasses) with a JVC DLA-RS2. It falls out of sync as described for an RS1. I hadn't seen a definitive answer from anyone who'd tried it, so I did the experiment myself. It's a shame too because it looks great when it works. :-(

If anyone has anything they want me to try before I send it back, let me know. I've got some other devices to try it on, so I'll hang on to until next week at least.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM

I had the same problem, mad.gif
-couldn´t select DLP-Link from 3D menu
-after trying many things I realize that from the PS3 I had to run the game first
-then the ps3 will detect the 3D display and ask you if you want to activate 3D content

After this I went back to Proyector menu and I was able to select DLP-Link from 3D menu tongue.gif

Hope this helps to anyone out there.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bob,
I managed to talk to Jonathan this morning. The TheaterPlus supports 3D 1080P/60, 7.1 channel audio and the frequency brackets. 3DNow will more than likely be handling the eventual release based on their own schedule. If you are interested in one, as a courtesy to AVS Forum, Jonathan will sell a few direct, so contact him via the 3D-VIP website. I will be obtaining one myself at a later date.
http://www.3d-vip.com/

Any word on the release date for the Theater Plus? I won't be buying it because, after the initial delay, I decided to buy a 3D projector (Acer H9500BD) earlier this year. It only cost me $1499 (no tax and no shipping) and came with a free pair of glasses. I had some initial reliability issues which seem to have worked themselves through. The picture is awesome, but I have a couple of friends who might be interested in this product.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

What are the advantages of the PLUS? Is it the 1080p output? The 7.1 support would not be needed if the original passes through a receiver first and the video is passed through. Is the 1080p worth an additional $250?

Just asking.

Mike
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike191 View Post

What are the advantages of the PLUS? Is it the 1080p output? The 7.1 support would not be needed if the original passes through a receiver first and the video is passed through. Is the 1080p worth an additional $250?
Just asking.

The 1080P output plus syncing at frequencies at 72 and 96hz for projectors which was not available in the regular Theater. If you had a 120hz projector then everything was fine but my Panasonic could only sync at 60hz. If I get a Plus then I can use 72.

The VIP3D site has been revamped it appears with a store front for direct orders:

http://www.3d-vip.com/#!3d-theatre-/c33e
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi Tom,
Hopefully my post# 1991 will help you. If you write Jonathan just mention SgtVideo referred you to him and your an AVS Forum member.
Yep, I still have my Panny 4K and it has low hours on it. I hope to try the Plus on it at 72hz.

Hi SgtVideo

Long time no chat. I am wondering whether the Theater Plus will be able to outperform the Theater that I already have paired with my AE4000.
Can the AE4000 output 36 fps to each eye suing the Plus? I thought the AE4000 was maxed out at 60Hz in total?

I still notice that the flicker exists to me at 30Hz per eye and wondering if the jump to the Plus will be noticeably better with the 4K.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I would like to see a "Dispayer Plus" with 1080 and 72fps.

That would be exactly perfect for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Hi SgtVideo
Long time no chat. I am wondering whether the Theater Plus will be able to outperform the Theater that I already have paired with my AE4000.
Can the AE4000 output 36 fps to each eye suing the Plus? I thought the AE4000 was maxed out at 60Hz in total?
I still notice that the flicker exists to me at 30Hz per eye and wondering if the jump to the Plus will be noticeably better with the 4K.

Hi Avswiller,

I've been somewhat infrequent myself. Waiting for Jonathan to return from CES to review with him his updated product line. We hope to start a new thread regarding this, especially now it appears he will be returning to direct sales as before.

Back to the TheaterPlus, I have the AE4000 as well and maximum V-sync is 87hz. Jonathan indicated in my case it would sync at 72hz as the next sync bracket is 96. I will have to take his word for it since I don't have one in hand at the moment but he indicated even though an additional 12hz doesn't sound like much, visually it is significant. Hopefully I can receive one near the end of the month, he has some of the boards but is awaiting cases from production that is overseas.

Theater+
1080p output with 7.1 audio support

A superior performing Theatre 3D-processor, delivering 1080p output via active shutter glasses. The new Theatre+ supports 7.1 audio and locks at 72Hz and 96Hz vertical refresh rates for 3D Blu-Ray movies (depending on the displays capabilities). 3D-Theatre+ has a faster processor with superior audio/video output, making your 3D experience even more enjoyable. An Ideal solution for home-theatres operating with1080p projectors.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I would like to see a "Dispayer Plus" with 1080 and 72fps.
That would be exactly perfect for me.

That would be doubtful from a production standpoint as the processor and memory and some other components would still keep the costs about the same as the Theater+.

I was surprised to see he is keeping the Displayer in production as it was going to be dropped when the joint operation with 3DNow occurred. The $199 price point for it is attractive on an international basis.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Can I then just use the RF glasses and RF emitter I already have for the Theater with the Theater Plus?
I just wish it was a bit cheaper to get those extra 12Hz and 1080p.

I just found out 3d blurays played via PS3 do output at 1080p so maybe there would be a noticeable difference. I think I am trying to convince myself wink.gif
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Can I then just use the RF glasses and RF emitter I already have for the Theater with the Theater Plus?
Yes.

Kal
Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks Kal.
I recall I bought my VIP Theater and accessories from you at curte palme, so thanks for helping me out again!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post

Anyway, I wanted to find out what PJs people were using with it and what V sync rates they were able to utilize (as well as how they like the unit). It's a really smart idea and I like the approach they took. I needed a bridge until a dual passive system made sense for me and decided on the Acer....great picture by the way if you like DLP. Even with a slight HDMI blurring, which is evidently being fixed, the picture is crisp and plenty bright. The 3D rocks...

I'm using the BenQ MX520 3D Ready DLP Projector at 120hz on a Da-Lite motorised curved silver screen with the VIP displayer going trought an HDMI matrix that connect my pc, and ps3 and other non 3d stuff and TV's.

I definitely love the 3D! however, when I'm alone, I prefer using the Sony HMZ-T1 3d head mounted display, there is no PJ or screen that can beat the dual oled with 50000:1 contrast ratio and NO GHOSTING AT ALL.

There is a picture of my HT setup at the end of my blog post and my virtual reality setup with the head mounted display
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Looks like the Theater Plus only outputs 72hz at 720p and 1080p at 60Hz based on the Dip switch table on the curte Palme website.

I would be interested in getting SgtVideos review to see how flicker is reduced.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM

I don't suppose anyone has ever heard of a 60hz polarizer? This would be awesome paired with a 60hz polarizer (30hz for each eye).

focus
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks like the Theater Plus only outputs 72hz at 720p and 1080p at 60Hz based on the Dip switch table on the curte Palme website.

I would be interested in getting SgtVideos review to see how flicker is reduced.

I've been promised a Theater+ but no firm shipping date as of yet.

I asked Jonathan about the level of "flicker" running 1080P/60. He indicated that the perceptible flicker is somewhat subdued compared to the 720P/60. So it seems that the higher resolution helps with the suppression. Will be interesting to see how that works out. Will try it on an LG Plasma, Panasonic and Acer projectors.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have a Theater+ on its way and hopefully will have it before the coming weekend. Will post on the differences I see between it and my Theater unit. Looking forward to the 7.1 audio with 3D!smile.gif

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector