AVS Forum banner

3D Theatre - VIP Product Thread

278K views 2K replies 244 participants last post by  panavised 
#1 ·
I have started this thread for conversations relating to the Vip Theatre product,

as it seems there is alot of interest in this unit, and we are getting spread out in other threads.

First a link to the website........... http://www.3d-vip.com/

Here's some pics..........
Attachment 214512
Attachment 214513
Attachment 214514

Hope those of you who are testing the theatre product, and those interested in buying it will join us here. I feel bad we have hijacked, in a way, some other threads. So now we have our own to share tips and tricks.

Here are some results of my testing so far.......

I also own a Samsung PN50C680 so comparisons are valid for me as I am comparing what I see on the test units to what I see on

that Display.

The first unit I tried it on was My Epson HC8100 projector. (1.0 gain Screen 106"), This Test also used the PS3 as my source.

The unit is very simple in terms of connection, HDMI in, HDMI out to whatever display you are using. There is also a USB port that gives the unit its power, and the emitter also connects directly to the Theatre unit itself. A wall outlet power is recomended, in my test the PS3 did not put out a sufficient amount of power for the unit, to power the emitter, thus my range was limited to about 3 feet at first. You will want to get a wall block as adaptor for the unit, it must be no more than .5v and 1.0 amp if you are going to use the emitter and glasses that Vip sells for proper power,I had one for an old cell phone, and once that was put in place the emitter easily had a range of 15 to 20 feet.

There is also a set of 6 Dip swithces on the rear of the unit,(more on those later). For this test the number 1 dip switch needs to be in the down position as the Epson is a 60hz LCD.

After powering on the PS3 it immeditely recognized that is was connected to a 3D display, YEAH!!! After setting the screen size we were off and running. My first test was Superstardust 3D, and the theatre Unit did its job! After a few clicks I was playing a 3D game on a projector I was never supposed to be playing 3D ANYTHING on! The image is solid with no ghosting, or crosstalk. There is a slight bit of flicker, thats to be expected on a 60hz display, but killing all light sources and pulling the shades, the flicker was unnoticeable in the image. So much for having to buy a brand new projector just to do 3D! The theatre unit did the job it said it would do. I should also note that I put the projector into Dynamic mode and turned off any enhancements like auto Iris for this test. That gave me the brightest picture I could get for a projector rated at 1700 lumens. The picture was more than adequate, but I can see why 2500 lumens or more would be ideal. Just for reference my normal viewing on this projector would be Natural, or Theatre Black 1 and Obviously these modes are too dark for 3D.

Next was Resident Evil Afterlife 3D, Once again the theatre shined in reproducing a 3D image that my projector was never supposed to be able to do. So blu ray from the PS3 is also no problem for the theatre to do, in fact it did a stellar job. One note it seems the PS3 does a better job thru the theatre when the 24fps option is set to off, I confirmed this with jonathan, so if you are watching 3D Blu ray the optimal setting is to have that turned off.

Now as those that have been following my posts know, I did experience a problem with the Glasses and emitter, which is not a product made by 3D Vip. That problem is being resolved as we speak. The customer service I have received from VIP and Jonathan has been second to none, in fact I have 3 Ongoing issues with some equipment right now and VIP resolved my issue the quickest and Most professionally of all of them.

Now for the best news for those running their Projector thru an A/V reciever. My current amp is an Onkyo TX-SR805, non 3D capable 3 years old THX reciever. Should'nt pass the 3D signal right? Wrong the 3D image flowed flawlessly thru the unit, and also thru my Monoprice HDX501 switcher!!!

So hopefully this will also work for others as well. So lets review Not only did the VIP Theatre turn my Non 3D projector into a 3D projector, but it also saved me from having to buy a new A/V receiver!!!!

I cannot stress enough what a great product this is, I will have more test results for you later but, as a tease,.....

I tried it on my sons 4 year old crappy Polaroid 720p LCD and guess what?............. It works!!!!

More to come..............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some Helpful Hints.......

In regards to Anyone using this with an Optoma HD66, and the Vip Glasses.

1. Dipswitch #1 on Theatre unit set to up, In fact all Dip's up.

2. Any 3D options on the projector disabled,(No DLP Link, No Nividia)

3. On the emitter Press The right Button labled VGA/DVI until it shows RED! Not Green.(You should have 1 Green light left, and one red light right.)

4. Then Use the left Sync button to your preference for your eyes.

That should be it for the Optoma.

If you are using DLP Link, or Ninvidia, Make sure those options are turned on In the projector menu, Under the display tab. I do not have DLP link Glasses or I would Test That.

For Those Using it with a 60HZ Projector, DLP (Like Optoma HD 65, 70)

1.Make sure Dip switch #1 is in the down position for 60hz usage.

2.Follow the same steps above as in regards to the emitter, I had the best Picture with the light combination being, Left light GREEN, Right light RED

3. Adjust left button sync to your taste.

For those using it with an LCD TV or projector, at 60hz.

1.Make sure dip switch #1 Is in down position for 60hz.

2.Play with the buttons on the emitter, the settings have varied for me on different sets, sometimes both green was the best, sometimes the Red green combo worked better.

3. If you are seeing ghosting on some PS3 games go into the menu options on the games and reduce the 3D effect to your taste. I found this to be very helpful on some sets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my test unit the P1 button is used to force SbS, and TnB for things like my Comcast cable which is HDMI 1.3.

The cycle is...........

1 press of the P1 Button to force SbS

2 2nd press of the P1 button to force TnB

3rd press returns the unit to Normal auto state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information for the RF Style Glasses

When fully charged, three long LED blinks will be observed instead of two. The battery charge indicator is observed after the initial power on LED blink. Blink activity after power-on blink

Battery Charge State

Three long blinks after initial power on LED blink Battery is 50% or more charged, 20 hours or more remaining.

Six medium blinks after initial power on LED blink Battery is 10% or more charged, 4 hours or more remaining

Twelve fast blinks after initial power on LED blink Battery charge is less than 10% or less, risk of glasses needing to be wired to charger before end of a long movie or double feature

Power on indicator never occurs Battery is so discharged that glasses need to be charged before further operation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links To Youtube Vids........

New Video Of The 3D Theatre With RF Glasses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J78V5S_Zvjs

Demo With Epson HC8100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hk9bQhcwr0

Heres One of The Theatre Doing ESPN 3D On A Samsung LN52A850
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c59Jj5zaLDc

A Demo of the Theatre Unit And The Optoma HD66.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJnQn9uCtw

Email Address for Video Innovation Products...
info@3D-VIP.com

Link to upgrade Utility for 5.1 Audio...............

Here is a link for anyone needing the Upgrade Utility For 5.1 Audio................

http://www.mediafire.com/?vrvebxuh0ks5nfq

See less See more
#1,906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfiction /forum/post/21670512

here is my TV's model :

http://www.plasma.com/necplasma/50xr4.htm

Thanks for the link Sky.

Interestingly that set appears to be 60 or 120hz capable. But I do not see any HDMI capability. Are you using some type of converter to go from HDMI to DVI? The accessories indicated you may have an HDMI to DVI adapter, if thats the case we will need to determine the effect and possible menu settings that could be causing your issue.

So don't give up yet.

#1,907 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopiejaldflad25 /forum/post/21671082

I would think hands down DLP. I have been back and forth with the LCD/DLP issue and I do prefer DLP. But at the time I was looking for a new projector BB had a sale on the 8100 for 1199.99, and at that moment it couldnt be beat!

If you are referring to DLP glasses then not exactly. In other threads which I won't get into, some were not happy with the color rendition depending on which brand DLP glasses they were using. RF glasses give more freedom of movement and tunability in achieving brightness and color rendition, whereas DLP glasses are a fixed value device.

As an economical price point they are very good but need to be used with a 120hz signal. I use RF glasses for 120hz DLP viewing as well.

#1,908 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfiction /forum/post/21670050

Dear, beside my 50" NEC Plasma TV, (actually the color space problem make me so upset, I study all figures menus and nothing can help me to stop changing RGB to x.v color..)

I try to use the displayer on 22" LCD mon and I can see 2 images on the screen, so I try to power on my RF glasses and experience the 3D movies, but I found, some of it can merge to gether but some didn't .....(e.g the middle of screen the 2 image can merge together and get the 3D feeling, but outside there those images still seperated) ...is that are ghosting? so I just need fine tune the delay cycle can be resolve it?

where have the detail menu of the RF glasses can be download??

Try this link for the BC5100 users manual:

http://www.3d-vip.com/pdf/manual_glasses.pdf

#1,909 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/21667446

Is there a link to the emitter firmware that allows easier eye flip with the joystick? Does it work better? I am still on the original firmware that came with the VIP package and the joy stick is useless for changing polarity. Other than that the default settings work great with my Acer.

Here is my link on Curt Palme site that will help with that:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27776

#1,910 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo /forum/post/21671075

3DNow will be releasing upgraded versions of RF glasses this year to my understanding so that should not be a problem. If I heard

correctly the new glasses will have their own polarity button instead of the jstick fiasco.

My only concern for now in regards to our current ones we use, is I can no longer source the battery for them. I wrote Jonathan and Bit Cauldron about this and am awaiting an answer. Last year I could find a couple sources but not now.

Nice! A polarity button...I will wait then.

The batteries should last long enough. I hardly ever charge mine. Its been a couple months and mine are still working fine. They probably only have 10 hours on each pair. 4 pair and I alternate between them. Only had one movie with company where I used all 4 pair at once. My wife hasn't watched much 3D. Although now that I upgraded my Directv receiver with a 3D HD DVR I will be using 3D a lot more. I have recorded over 20 3D shows over the last week.

#1,911 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo /forum/post/21671087

Thanks for the link Sky.

Interestingly that set appears to be 60 or 120hz capable. But I do not see any HDMI capability. Are you using some type of converter to go from HDMI to DVI? The accessories indicated you may have an HDMI to DVI adapter, if thats the case we will need to determine the effect and possible menu settings that could be causing your issue.

So don't give up yet.

Sounds to me he needs to use RGB for all sources. Should be easy to set sources to RGB only.

#1,912 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfiction /forum/post/21670997

So, due to the TV is too old therefore I need to give it up to use with the displayer??

Not at all. It's just that I couldn't easily find a manual for your set online. I don't trust those download sites-some of them are home to lots of trojans and viruses.

I just thought of something else. Given the age of your set, it might have come out before x.v.Color or Deep Color were introduced. If that's the case, it won't "know" about them. How were you getting the resolution and x.v.Color information?

#1,913 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo /forum/post/21671087

Thanks for the link Sky.

So don't give up yet.

The review I linked to in another post also refers to an HDMI-DVI adapter as well as the set having two DVI ports.

#1,914 ·
I just got the VIP 3D theater, It looks great on my tv but not on my projector? The image is there and my Monstervision RF glasses shutter but there in no convergance, it's like the projector is refreshing at a differant rate though it says 1080 60hz when the picture comes up. Any suggestions?

Plus I did watch a movie on my tv but I had to wear my glasses upside down, does anyone know how to reverse the L-R?

#1,915 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/21671906

The review I linked to in another post also refers to an HDMI-DVI adapter as well as the set having two DVI ports.

There only one dvi-d port for digital rgb, according to the reviews it didn't mention any x.v.color or deep color,so I think it doesn't support it.

On the other hand,it can support 120hz???

#1,916 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfiction /forum/post/21674367

There only one dvi-d port for digital rgb, according to the reviews it didn't mention any x.v.color or deep color,so I think it doesn't support it.

On the other hand,it can support 120hz???

From what little info I can read about it, then yes, 120hz.

Illustrate to us as to how you have connected everything.

Example:

3D BluRay>>hdmi cable>>Theater/Displayer>>hdmi?DVI? cable>>TV

#1,917 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy /forum/post/21642330

Great! Let me know how it works out. I like my Acer H5360 but if something happens to it I will be looking for a new 3D projector. I hope it continues working well and the VIP 3D Theater works great too.

Ron

I got the ACER H9500BD projector ($1699....more on that later) and the picture is really, really sharp and bright. The 3D mode is also plenty bright (according to the specs, the light should have been a little low, but it was more than bright enough IMO). I watched the new release of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in 3D and the pop out was amazing. Very gimmicky, but fun for my purposes. I always thought people were BS'ing when they said they jerked their heads back. I know better now. The picture is pretty amazing and I couldn't be happier. I still haven't played with the (minimal) color adjustments, but that and programming my Universal remote are next on my list. The colors out of the box looked great from where I was sitting (literally), but maybe I can improve things.

A few downsides:

The menu is slow and difficult to navigate. Generally this isn't too big of a deal. This projector is (now) about half the price of the Panny and Epson. That seems like a reasonable trade-off.

There aren't as many adjustments as I would like, but the color, brightness, sharpness, 3D effects, etc. are so good out of the box, that also seems like a reasonable trade-off to make.

Vertical/Horizontal "Shift" - this thing is kind of a bear to set up. they should call the shift "diagonal right" and "diagonal left". I was able to get a full 16:9 120" screen with the center of the lens 3" above the top of the screen, about 7" to the left of center of the screen and about 13.5' from the screen, but pretty much (still a little room for adjustments if necessary) maxed out zoom and shift. I had to do a LOT of tweaking to get it just right (physical, zoom, focus, and shift). After it was done, however, it's no longer an issue. Again, a trade-off I can live with.

The glasses are really clear and comfortable (very, very slight greenish tint, but really isn't noticeable unless you take them off and on, off and on, etc.), but are kind of hard to purchase. By all accounts the pair that comes with the unit are about as good as it gets. There are some Optomas out there, but I can't comment on how the stack up to the Acer glasses. Rumor has it you can buy them from Acer, but it takes awhile.

That pretty much does it for issues I have with it other than the fact that TigerDirect dropped the price $200 (to $1499) six days after I bought it. Can they give you a credit on your credit card? Of course not. Why would I even ask such a stupid question? What you CAN do, however, is to return the unit for a full refund and buy a new one at the reduced price. Costs them shipping (they ship free with no tax) and would have cost me shipping, but I found a small flaw, got Acer tech support to agree with me, and can ship my current unit back free. Kind of dumb if you ask me. What's even dumber is that TigerDirect told me I didn't even have to unpack the new projector. I could just send it back and they would accept that as the return and credit my card for the original price I paid. Makes about as much sense as the price of oil if you ask me. If you buy with an AMEX card, you get an extra year warranty.

For just under $1500 out the door, I got a really nice 3D projector (which does a much better job converting 2D to 3D than my Sony BDP-S780 Blu Ray player) with a 2 year warranty. I think that's pretty good bang for the buck. We'll see how it holds up.

Sorry about posting to this thread, but I did get asked.....

#1,919 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeetFX /forum/post/21674148

I just got the VIP 3D theater, It looks great on my tv but not on my projector? The image is there and my Monstervision RF glasses shutter but there in no convergance, it's like the projector is refreshing at a differant rate though it says 1080 60hz when the picture comes up. Any suggestions?

Plus I did watch a movie on my tv but I had to wear my glasses upside down, does anyone know how to reverse the L-R?

Can't help with projector without the make/model# ????????

Also illustrate your connections of all devices in the loop.

EXAMPLE:

BLURAY>>HDMI CABLE>>THEATER>>HDMI CABLE>>DISPLAY

See thread #1490 for polarity reversal for RF glasses.

#1,920 ·
Thank you, I followed the link to the online manual for my RF glasses and after using the joystick of the transmitter I have reversed the polarity and adjusted the flicker to match my projectors and it is Amazing!

Though when I try playing SBS videos I downloaded I get a blank screen and just audio when I press the p1 button, any thoughts?

#1,921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeetFX /forum/post/21684111

Thank you, I followed the link to the online manual for my RF glasses and after using the joystick of the transmitter I have reversed the polarity and adjusted the flicker to match my projectors and it is Amazing!

Though when I try playing SBS videos I downloaded I get a blank screen and just audio when I press the p1 button, any thoughts?

You would need to determine if the "downloaded" content is in an acceptable form since there is no standard. If you were viewing cable or satellite 3D SBS or T2B then the P1 should merge the image. The 3D content would need to be in the form as stated in the Displayer/Theater datasheets.

#1,928 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfiction /forum/post/21767466

actually if the new Theatre Plus can support the Dual Projector for passive 3D, I'm very interesting to upgrade my displayer for it.

hope there have a good news for me.

Theater Plus was not designed for that purpose so I couldn't turn that into good news. Do they have a solution for that? I am sure they do but in the competitive world of electronics 3DNow is not about to make an announcement as yet.

I go to a local RealD cinema and enjoy the 3D projected there but the wife and myself usually comment when watching the same films at home they look considerably better with active RF glasses at 120hz with a DLP projector. Not so much in overall appearance but in the 3D depth portion.

You also would need the same projector models to get proper convergence as well. Not sure if you were considering that aspect.

#1,929 ·
Have a tech question.

Hooked up a vip theater to an epson 705hd lcd projector. Experiencing a lot of flicker, juddering, and crosstalk with the 60hz signal. Managed to sort of get an acceptable image by adjusting the duty cycle of the monstervision emitter. (Can get some of the image to converge properly but the rest remains blurry.) The combination of 60hz and lcd just is not working for me. Here is where things get interesting.

If I set the vip to 120hz output I get the signal (not in 3d) with a line running through it like its trying to refresh. Looking at the projector manual the vga input on the projector has different refresh rates. So if I picked up a monoprice hdmi to vga adapter is there a chance it might work off the vga input.

My sources were a PS3 and a roku box (Wealthtv 3d channel, side by side). I have gotten the same results with both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.