AVS Forum banner

3D Theatre - VIP Product Thread

278K views 2K replies 244 participants last post by  panavised 
#1 ·
I have started this thread for conversations relating to the Vip Theatre product,

as it seems there is alot of interest in this unit, and we are getting spread out in other threads.

First a link to the website........... http://www.3d-vip.com/

Here's some pics..........
Attachment 214512
Attachment 214513
Attachment 214514

Hope those of you who are testing the theatre product, and those interested in buying it will join us here. I feel bad we have hijacked, in a way, some other threads. So now we have our own to share tips and tricks.

Here are some results of my testing so far.......

I also own a Samsung PN50C680 so comparisons are valid for me as I am comparing what I see on the test units to what I see on

that Display.

The first unit I tried it on was My Epson HC8100 projector. (1.0 gain Screen 106"), This Test also used the PS3 as my source.

The unit is very simple in terms of connection, HDMI in, HDMI out to whatever display you are using. There is also a USB port that gives the unit its power, and the emitter also connects directly to the Theatre unit itself. A wall outlet power is recomended, in my test the PS3 did not put out a sufficient amount of power for the unit, to power the emitter, thus my range was limited to about 3 feet at first. You will want to get a wall block as adaptor for the unit, it must be no more than .5v and 1.0 amp if you are going to use the emitter and glasses that Vip sells for proper power,I had one for an old cell phone, and once that was put in place the emitter easily had a range of 15 to 20 feet.

There is also a set of 6 Dip swithces on the rear of the unit,(more on those later). For this test the number 1 dip switch needs to be in the down position as the Epson is a 60hz LCD.

After powering on the PS3 it immeditely recognized that is was connected to a 3D display, YEAH!!! After setting the screen size we were off and running. My first test was Superstardust 3D, and the theatre Unit did its job! After a few clicks I was playing a 3D game on a projector I was never supposed to be playing 3D ANYTHING on! The image is solid with no ghosting, or crosstalk. There is a slight bit of flicker, thats to be expected on a 60hz display, but killing all light sources and pulling the shades, the flicker was unnoticeable in the image. So much for having to buy a brand new projector just to do 3D! The theatre unit did the job it said it would do. I should also note that I put the projector into Dynamic mode and turned off any enhancements like auto Iris for this test. That gave me the brightest picture I could get for a projector rated at 1700 lumens. The picture was more than adequate, but I can see why 2500 lumens or more would be ideal. Just for reference my normal viewing on this projector would be Natural, or Theatre Black 1 and Obviously these modes are too dark for 3D.

Next was Resident Evil Afterlife 3D, Once again the theatre shined in reproducing a 3D image that my projector was never supposed to be able to do. So blu ray from the PS3 is also no problem for the theatre to do, in fact it did a stellar job. One note it seems the PS3 does a better job thru the theatre when the 24fps option is set to off, I confirmed this with jonathan, so if you are watching 3D Blu ray the optimal setting is to have that turned off.

Now as those that have been following my posts know, I did experience a problem with the Glasses and emitter, which is not a product made by 3D Vip. That problem is being resolved as we speak. The customer service I have received from VIP and Jonathan has been second to none, in fact I have 3 Ongoing issues with some equipment right now and VIP resolved my issue the quickest and Most professionally of all of them.

Now for the best news for those running their Projector thru an A/V reciever. My current amp is an Onkyo TX-SR805, non 3D capable 3 years old THX reciever. Should'nt pass the 3D signal right? Wrong the 3D image flowed flawlessly thru the unit, and also thru my Monoprice HDX501 switcher!!!

So hopefully this will also work for others as well. So lets review Not only did the VIP Theatre turn my Non 3D projector into a 3D projector, but it also saved me from having to buy a new A/V receiver!!!!

I cannot stress enough what a great product this is, I will have more test results for you later but, as a tease,.....

I tried it on my sons 4 year old crappy Polaroid 720p LCD and guess what?............. It works!!!!

More to come..............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some Helpful Hints.......

In regards to Anyone using this with an Optoma HD66, and the Vip Glasses.

1. Dipswitch #1 on Theatre unit set to up, In fact all Dip's up.

2. Any 3D options on the projector disabled,(No DLP Link, No Nividia)

3. On the emitter Press The right Button labled VGA/DVI until it shows RED! Not Green.(You should have 1 Green light left, and one red light right.)

4. Then Use the left Sync button to your preference for your eyes.

That should be it for the Optoma.

If you are using DLP Link, or Ninvidia, Make sure those options are turned on In the projector menu, Under the display tab. I do not have DLP link Glasses or I would Test That.

For Those Using it with a 60HZ Projector, DLP (Like Optoma HD 65, 70)

1.Make sure Dip switch #1 is in the down position for 60hz usage.

2.Follow the same steps above as in regards to the emitter, I had the best Picture with the light combination being, Left light GREEN, Right light RED

3. Adjust left button sync to your taste.

For those using it with an LCD TV or projector, at 60hz.

1.Make sure dip switch #1 Is in down position for 60hz.

2.Play with the buttons on the emitter, the settings have varied for me on different sets, sometimes both green was the best, sometimes the Red green combo worked better.

3. If you are seeing ghosting on some PS3 games go into the menu options on the games and reduce the 3D effect to your taste. I found this to be very helpful on some sets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my test unit the P1 button is used to force SbS, and TnB for things like my Comcast cable which is HDMI 1.3.

The cycle is...........

1 press of the P1 Button to force SbS

2 2nd press of the P1 button to force TnB

3rd press returns the unit to Normal auto state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information for the RF Style Glasses

When fully charged, three long LED blinks will be observed instead of two. The battery charge indicator is observed after the initial power on LED blink. Blink activity after power-on blink

Battery Charge State

Three long blinks after initial power on LED blink Battery is 50% or more charged, 20 hours or more remaining.

Six medium blinks after initial power on LED blink Battery is 10% or more charged, 4 hours or more remaining

Twelve fast blinks after initial power on LED blink Battery charge is less than 10% or less, risk of glasses needing to be wired to charger before end of a long movie or double feature

Power on indicator never occurs Battery is so discharged that glasses need to be charged before further operation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links To Youtube Vids........

New Video Of The 3D Theatre With RF Glasses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J78V5S_Zvjs

Demo With Epson HC8100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hk9bQhcwr0

Heres One of The Theatre Doing ESPN 3D On A Samsung LN52A850
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c59Jj5zaLDc

A Demo of the Theatre Unit And The Optoma HD66.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJnQn9uCtw

Email Address for Video Innovation Products...
info@3D-VIP.com

Link to upgrade Utility for 5.1 Audio...............

Here is a link for anyone needing the Upgrade Utility For 5.1 Audio................

http://www.mediafire.com/?vrvebxuh0ks5nfq

See less See more
#2 ·
Good idea Chez!

Have you sorted out the problems with the glasses yet? I'm waiting to hear more from you guys before I buy it for my LCOS projector. Will any brand emitter and glasses work with this?

Thanks,

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajan /forum/post/20193405

Good idea Chez!

Have you sorted out the problems with the glasses yet? I'm waiting to hear more from you guys before I buy it for my LCOS projector. Will any brand emitter and glasses work with this?

Thanks,

Yes the glasses are being swapped out, with no problem!

Hopefully by the end of the week, I will be testing again. From what I have seen so far, this is a killer product!

I think the glasses depend on your display, 60hz or 120hz The unit has a 3 Pin out for the emitter, and in another thread a gentleman has posted a glowing review of the theatre using an HD66, and I believe he was using DLP Link with the theatre. If your projector is the same as my Epson HC8100, and is 60hz, I believe you need to get the glasses from Vip to work properly, but I will check into that for you.

I have asked him if he would post his review here, didn't want to just steal it!

More to come,...........

#4 ·
VIP is unaware of anyone else other than our supplier providing 60Hz/120Hz IR Active Shutter glasses with emitter. Therefore, I suggest that you purchase your glasses with us. Having said that, if someone else does provide such glasses, we would like to know in order to test and give our blessings for you to purchase from the source.

We are also working on providing theatre quality emitters along with longer cables and different connectors to help our customers to experience the best output from our units.

Thanks for starting this thread and I will be sure to chime in, time and time again.

Cheers!

Jonathan Alexande

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonalex89 /forum/post/20194021

VIP is unaware of anyone else other than our supplier providing 60Hz/120Hz IR Active Shutter glasses with emitter. Therefore, I suggest that you purchase your glasses with us. Having said that, if someone else does provide such glasses, we would like to know in order to test and give our blessings for you to purchase from the source.

We are also working on providing theatre quality emitters along with longer cables and different connectors to help our customers to experience the best output from our units.

Thanks for starting this thread and I will be sure to chime in, time and time again.

Cheers!

Jonathan Alexande

Welcome sir Glad you are here!

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/20194096

nice to see

can any owners comment on shipping and duties on customs?

i am in Canada and curious if this is shipped if i would get hit at the border with duties $$$$$

Check with brews21, I believe he is in Canada. I'm sure he will be here soon as well.

#9 ·
to OP: can u give any more details regarding playing super stardust hd in 3d vs 2d? since it is a 60fps game even in 3d (so really 120fps in 720p 3d mode) can you tell how it is compensating for this difference when displaying on a 60hz display? does it seem like the 3d theatre is blending the frames, or just dropping them altogether? perhaps it is alternating which eye to drop for each frame...that sounds like it might work good actually

#12 ·
I'd be highly interested in this. I have a couple sets of glasses for my other 3D device already, and interested in how they would work.

I'm also very interested to do testing with all the HTPC's in my house with this device, very cool stuff!

My panny projecter just got a lot cooler

#13 ·
Few questions:

So I'm thinking of using this thing with my JVC RS20. Now I know the RS20 can display 120hz, but I was under the impression that any non-3d ready 120 hz display can really only take 60hz from the input and double that internally. So would I be outputting 60hz from the VIP theater or displayer then with my projector for this to work?

Would I notice any increased performance in regards to flicker or perceived performance with my JVC over say the Epson 8100 that Chezbrgr2 tested? I am pretty confident this will work, but am I relegated to only 30hz per eye? If so how does this look really?

I guess I'm trying to understand how this works with non-3d ready 120hz displays, is there really going to be any difference between them and 60hz displays? Am I missing something here on how I was let to believe the tech works.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark /forum/post/20196468

also just heard all the 3D-VIP products (3D-Gamer, 3D-Displayer and 3D-Theatre) will also be on tonight for order on www.consignia.ca

good thing is he offers free shipping and has a website checkout system with invoicing

They are up for preorder now!...............

http://www.consignia.ca/products/VIP...adcast-3D.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate /forum/post/20200134

Few questions:

So I'm thinking of using this thing with my JVC RS20. Now I know the RS20 can display 120hz, but I was under the impression that any non-3d ready 120 hz display can really only take 60hz from the input and double that internally. So would I be outputting 60hz from the VIP theater or displayer then with my projector for this to work?

Would I notice any increased performance in regards to flicker or perceived performance with my JVC over say the Epson 8100 that Chezbrgr2 tested? I am pretty confident this will work, but am I relegated to only 30hz per eye? If so how does this look really?

I guess I'm trying to understand how this works with non-3d ready 120hz displays, is there really going to be any difference between them and 60hz displays? Am I missing something here on how I was let to believe the tech works.

I will be honest most of that is way over my head! LOL

Maybe Jonathan can chime in with some specifics. What I can say is this, in my testing of course i had to play with things so I put switch Number 1 in the up position, making it output 120hz, and the unit definitely does 120hz, because my 8100 indicated the signal was at 118.something,(can't remember exactly.) and out of the range of my projector.

So if your JVC can accept that signal Then I assume you would be fine using either 60hz or 120hz from the theatre unit, 120 hz being ideal for you.

#17 ·
I'll probably pull the trigger on this once I upgrade my blu-ray player to either a PS3 or Oppo. I'd still like to get my 60hz versus 120hz questions answered. I guess the real question is whether my projector (or how my projector) accepts 120hz signals and what bearing does this have on performance here. I assume this would also work with any 3d blu-ray player (like the Oppo BDP-93)?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20201791

I wonder which would be better. The VIP 3D on a 1080P LCD projector (Viewsonic Pro8100) or the Viewsonic 5360 3D ready 720P DLP projector. Both are about the same cost. The Pro8100 can provide 1,300 calibrated lumens.

I would think hands down DLP. I have been back and forth with the LCD/DLP issue and I do prefer DLP. But at the time I was looking for a new projector BB had a sale on the 8100 for 1199.99, and at that moment it couldnt be beat!

That being said my wish is for a 1080p 3D DLP! guess I will be waiting awhile before my next upgrade!!!

I have been told and I quote "The Vip Theatre paired with an Optoma HD 66 is better than IMAX!" Would love to try that combo, gotta go my Credit card is vibrating!!!!

#22 ·
I am presently using an Acer h5360 DLP for 3D with the Nvidia Vision glasses through my PC and it's pretty amazing. I've also got an Epson 9500 with a couple of spare unused lamps and I'm really curious what 3D with the 3D-VIP Theater system would look like with this projector. 60hz vs. 120hz - that's the question. I don't think any current projector on the market will accept a 120hz signal (internally they will output 120hz using FI), with the exception of the 720p 3D DLPs. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone by buying this product.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate
I'll probably pull the trigger on this once I upgrade my blu-ray player to either a PS3 or Oppo. I'd still like to get my 60hz versus 120hz questions answered. I guess the real question is whether my projector (or how my projector) accepts 120hz signals and what bearing does this have on performance here. I assume this would also work with any 3d blu-ray player (like the Oppo BDP-93)?
It's my understanding that only the 720p 3D DLPs will accept a 120hz signal, though apparently the new Sharp 3D 1080p will also accept this but at only 720p resolution, just like the other DLPs. I think we're all stuck at 60hz with our 2D projectors. My Epson 9500 will internally do 120hz, but won't accept it and my understanding is that HDMI 1.4 won't handle 1080p/120hz. I might be totally out to lunch, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu
It's my understanding that only the 720p 3D DLPs will accept a 120hz signal, though apparently the new Sharp 3D 1080p will also accept this but at only 720p resolution, just like the other DLPs. I think we're all stuck at 60hz with our 2D projectors. My Epson 9500 will internally do 120hz, but won't accept it and my understanding is that HDMI 1.4 won't handle 1080p/120hz. I might be totally out to lunch, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah you nailed what I was trying to bring across with my question. I'm not sure about the HDMI specs, and I can't comment on that. I believe your 9500 and my RS20 would basically only be able to take a 60hz input resulting in 30hz per eye. But what display is able to input 120hz off of this thing then? I would assume any display already labeled 3d ready. Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested! I would like to hear some more opinions in terms of flicker and eye fatigue. Possibly a comparison to a dedicated 3d projector currently marketed too.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE
This is a great product in so many ways. My wife and I were astounded by how good 3D can be at 60 hz. My wife has been skeptical from the start but after viewing Avatar in 3D she is now a believer. I have definitely been happy I purchased the unit.
so your using this at 60hz ?? Can you comment on (what the above posters asked) eye strain, flicker etc..

I've order mine and will be using on 120hz HD66, but it would be nice to know (if i bought the emitter and 60hz glasses later on) that i could bring it to a friends house and watch 3D on anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.