"Full HD 3D" & DisplayPort 1.2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a device (GPU) with just DisplayPort 1.2; will I be able to output a "3D FullHD" (1080p@24) signal to a 3Dtv with HDMI 1.4 inputs?

Im not talking here about displayort>hdmi adapters; what I mean, I don't know if theres any 3DFullHD streaming way like Frame Packing that is supported by both interfaces ( send from DisplayPort 1.2 out to HDMI 1.4 input). Since I think FramePacking is just HDMI1.4 compliant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
When talking about "Framepacking" format, it is an hdmi format only.

Used outside of hdmi, Framepacking becomes a generic term that means "packing frames". The term can apply to a number of things not even related with 3D.

Display Port has it's own set of 3D transmission formats, it can output FullHD 3D and the output can be converted with an active signal converter (although no such device is currently being manufactured), so at the moment you can't get 3D by connecting the DisplayPort out to an hdmi1.4 TV.

Some graphics cards can rewire outputs and use passive adapters to output hdmi signals trough a DVI plug or through the DisplayPort pug (with some limitations on the number of displays being used), if you've got a laptop with a single DisplayPort 1.2 (or mini-DP 1.2) from AMD, there is a high chance it could work, although I do not know of anyone who has tested this.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Its not a laptop, but a GPU from ATI Im planning to buy. ASUS EAH6950 DirectCUII.

No HDMI outs, just DisplayPort 1.2 which, like you say, supports 3DFullHD, but not the way HDMI 1.4 does. On the other side my tv(3D) just have HDMI 1.4 inputs.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Nice beast, triple slot ^^.

I do not know about this specific card.
In theory, it should be possible by plugging your TV to one of the outputs circled at the bottom of the card. The writings on the card plate suggest these outputs are the only ones on the card with a hybrid TMDS (capable of outputting DVI or Hdmi signals on AMD cards).
But nobody known for sure if this will work since this card seems to be a custom card (not the official AMD reference card design).
Also, on other AMD cards, all the people that I know who have plugged an hdmi1.4 3DTV used the hdmi out of the card, not the DVI or DP so there is still the risk of some hardware incomatpibility or software bug that we don't know about yet.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #5 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
AFAIK, through HDMI, your limited to 720p @120 or 1080p @48hz. Thats using the Nvidia option. Using 3rd party drivers like Tridef or Iz3d, you can do side-by-side, which is half resolution: 1920x540 or 960x 1080, however you want to think about it. Its framerate is similar to 720p.

If you own certain Samsung 3DTVs, you can do full 1080p @ 60hz in frame sequential, which sounds pretty good to me as long as you have the horse power to keep the frame rate up there at 30. Samsungs also can do CB, which a few people say look almost like full 1080, yet it is still half res. More TV or setups might be able to do more, but im not aware of them. Atm, there are 2 27" monitors on the market with dual link dvi that will do full 1080p @ 120hz.

All of the hz values i wrote are the overall value, per eye values would be those divided by 2.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

All of the hz values i wrote are the overall value, per eye values would be those divided by 2.

The Hz values you used are transposed in frame sequential naming conventions, in which the output is made of 2D frames, each frame contains a single eye view.

Hdmi Frame-packing is standardized : the output is made of "3D" frames where a single frame contains both eye views.
When speaking about Hdmi, you should use the Hdmi naming conventions which are 720p60 and 1080p24, otherwise it creates confusion.

These limitations are there because not all formats are mandatory, 1080p60 is part of hdmi1.4 but it's optional, so chip manufacturers don't care about it.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #7 of 9 Old 05-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I agree, many of the 100's of posts and articles i've come across using a hz value could lead to confusion, thats why i put in the note. It would be great to have naming conventions as im getting tired of figuring out how to describe the mode im refering to without writing War and Peace, but i don't think that many people are on the same page as you, judging by the Nvidia 3D vision forum posts... Also, how do you refer to 1080p @60hz (30 hz per eye) in frame sequential for example? We need a better way than 1080p30(fs), especially for new users.

Who are the chip manufacturers btw, do you know?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

If you are asking who makes the GPU in the card the OP is buying, it is AMD (ATI), not Nvidia.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM

Hello all,

I would be interested to know if Kerman succeded in outputing a "3D FullHD" (1080p@24) signal to a 3Dtv with HDMI 1.4 inputs?

I have more or less the same concern.

I want to use an AMD Firepro W8000 Displayport 1.2 output:
http://www.amd.com/fr/products/workstation/graphics/ati-firepro-3d/w8000/Pages/w8000.aspx

On the HDMI 1.4 input of a Panasonic PT-AT5000:
http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae7000/

I want stereo in full resolution (1920 x 1080) for each eye, and I don't care if it's only in 24Hz.
What should I do?
Which adapters should be used?

If someone has similar experiences using DisplayPort <=> HDMI connections in stereo, I would be interested by your stories.
Thank you all.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page