post #91 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Did you say you watched a 3D bluray with the Monoprice converter using DLP link glasses?

Also how did the contrast look with DLP link turned on compared to the VIP and external emitter?

I watched the 2D version not the 3D BR which I tried but it would not pass it.
When I first tried the DLP glasses on 3D version the emitter was hooked up and still functional and I was getting some kind of wierd interference causing the DLP glasses to be erratic and thought it was a distance issue with the screen I was using which is a graywolf. But when I turned off the VIP and used the monoprice for 2D to 3D DLP I didn't have a problem. If you took the glasses off the screen had a somewhat washed out appearance but with the glasses on that was not the case. You don't want to leave that function initialized unless you are using the DLP glasses. Had to invert once in the beginning. But I thought wow this is pretty good 3D on the cheap. I'm sure it will vary with other source material. But it should be fun comparing. One thing different about 3D movies is that I'm watching more than once wheras 2D I tended to watch only once.

Also it's bear researching how to get 3D side by side half which should make this device shine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's weird...the VIP should work with DLP link.

Oh I watched Avatar in 3D last night using the VIP Theatre. Awesome! This little Acer projector rocks in 3D.
post #93 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's weird...the VIP should work with DLP link.

I think it will. I need to retry. I don't think you can have the emitter connected for the other glasses. By the way I was using IR glasses which work just fine with the Acer where you just need to play with phase. I think the IR was somehow interfering with the DLP glasses which I don't know why.

Also since you did side by side output did you get full screen or half screen when combined?
post #94 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

I think it will. I need to retry. I don't think you can have the emitter connected for the other glasses. By the way I was using IR glasses which work just fine with the Acer where you just need to play with phase. I think the IR was somehow interfering with the DLP glasses which I don't know why.

Also since you did side by side output did you get full screen or half screen when combined?

I don't have any SBS content to try. I still have to upgrade my DirecTV DVR for 3D use.

When using dlp link with the Monoprice converter I think its all frame sequential output or can you use it both ways? You have more test time with it than I do.

I thought you had RF glasses or do you have all of the above? LOL
post #95 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't have any SBS content to try. I still have to upgrade my DirecTV DVR for 3D use.

When using dlp link with the Monoprice converter I think its all frame sequential output or can you use it both ways? You have more test time with it than I do.

I thought you had RF glasses or do you have all of the above? LOL

All the above. But my question is when you ran 2D to 3D and output in side by side to the VIP did you get half screen or full screen when they where combined and viewed.
post #96 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also check out this site:
http://www.3dsbs.com/3d-sbs-movies/

Nobody give a cent to that site; it's run by pirates, sharing pirated SbS versions of 3D Blu-rays.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #97 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Nobody give a cent to that site; it's run by pirates, sharing pirated SbS versions of 3D Blu-rays.

I'm looking for legit sites where I can get side by side source material which is a learning process.
post #98 of 349 Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the above. But my question is when you ran 2D to 3D and output in side by side to the VIP did you get half screen or full screen when they where combined and viewed.

It was a full screen! I think I will place the converter between my DVR and Duo so I can play around with it. Will have to force my DVR to output only 720p. Although I would like to experiment with 2D blurays converted as well. Wish it would bypass frame packed.
post #99 of 349 Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Will someone please report on the quality of 2D to 3D conversion with the Monoprice? Does it add a lot of depth? Does it look OK as a 3D movie? Is the image stable? Can you see any pop-out? Does it look too artificial?

Try a 2D movie like Star Wars, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, etc. Does it add anything to the 2D movie?

Looking for comments.
post #100 of 349 Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 View Post

Will someone please report on the quality of 2D to 3D conversion with the Monoprice? Does it add a lot of depth? Does it look OK as a 3D movie? Is the image stable? Can you see any pop-out? Does it look too artificial?

Try a 2D movie like Star Wars, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, etc. Does it add anything to the 2D movie?

Looking for comments.

See my comment above. I watched Coriline in 3D first which has very good 3D. It's a long movie but very good. I then watched part of the 2D running through the Monoprice converted to 3D using the DLP Mode. Boy I was surprised in how good it was for how much I watched. I need to watch the entire movie. The DLP Mode was much better than the anaglyph although that was still descent. I'm sure it will vary by movie. You need a number of objects nearby and far to get perspective.
post #101 of 349 Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

My VIP Theatre would only decode SBS at 720p. 1080p SBS just passes threw unprocessed as two images
post #102 of 349 Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My VIP Theatre would only decode SBS at 720p. 1080p SBS just passes threw unprocessed as two images

That's interesting. But the theater should output 720P for the DLP projector. Or you can check the monoprice output even though you can't view it correctly by taking the theater out of the loop and see if it handles
1080P to DLP correctly. The instructions say it will. Oh s**t you need side by side source for the monoprice to do that.
I'm trying to gain knowledge about the usernet and NZB files to try and get something to run into the monoprice.
post #103 of 349 Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Looking for comments.

If you just want to do BluRays/DVDs a 2D to 3D BluRay player would be a better option. You'll get full 1080p.
post #104 of 349 Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's interesting. But the theater should output 720P for the DLP projector. Or you can check the monoprice output even though you can't view it correctly by taking the theater out of the loop and see if it handles
1080P to DLP correctly. The instructions say it will. Oh s**t you need side by side source for the monoprice to do that.
I'm trying to gain knowledge about the usernet and NZB files to try and get something to run into the monoprice.

Frame sequential out would have to be 720p so it was weird to see two images when I gave it 1080p. I don't think the Monoprice converter does any scaling so you have to feed it the correct resolution. Have you tried 1080p into the converter?
post #105 of 349 Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 AM

Thanks for everyone's comments. Sounds like a good item to buy if you remember its limitations.
post #106 of 349 Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Frame sequential out would have to be 720p so it was weird to see two images when I gave it 1080p. I don't think the Monoprice converter does any scaling so you have to feed it the correct resolution. Have you tried 1080p into the converter?

So are you saying that while playing a 2D DVD and wanting to convert it to 3D that the disc player has to output 720P to the converter and not 1080P for the frame sequential DLP mode of the converter to work (assuming that you connect the Monoprice directly to the 3D ready projector with no other converter VIP or 3DXL in the circuit)?
post #107 of 349 Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So are you saying that while playing a 2D DVD and wanting to convert it to 3D that the disc player has to output 720P to the converter and not 1080P for the frame sequential DLP mode of the converter to work (assuming that you connect the Monoprice directly to the 3D ready projector with no other converter VIP or 3DXL in the circuit)?

The output of the BR player is set to auto and 2D, so I'm not sure what it is outputting. Their spec says it will accept 1080P 50/60 Hz side by side which means to me that it can accept 1080P 2D as well. it will only output 720P 3D frame sequential to a DLP.
post #108 of 349 Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Me thinks the word police on this forum deleted some comments as I was looking for a comment that magically disappeared.
post #109 of 349 Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The output of the BR player is set to auto and 2D, so I'm not sure what it is outputting. Their spec says it will accept 1080P 50/60 Hz side by side which means to me that it can accept 1080P 2D as well. it will only output 720P 3D frame sequential to a DLP.

Have you noticed on your Acer when the Monoprice converter is plugged in that you can't adjust color saturation on the Acer? The adjustment is gone in the menu. At least that happens to me with it connected Monoprice 3D converter -> VIP Theatre -> Acer H5360.
post #110 of 349 Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you noticed on your Acer when the Monoprice converter is plugged in that you can't adjust color saturation on the Acer? The adjustment is gone in the menu. At least that happens to me with it connected Monoprice 3D converter -> VIP Theatre -> Acer H5360.

I will look the next time I use it that way.
post #111 of 349 Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

While the 2D to 3D conversion isn't too bad I do see artifacts. For some reason I can't adjust saturation on my H5360 with the Monoprice converter connected so calibrating it for 3D Bluray use is not going to work. In fact the colors look even more saturated in SBS mode from this converter. So for now I don't have any use for it because I don't want to keep connecting/disconnecting HDMI cables to get it setup. I'll have to wait for a real 3D calibration disc to come out.

I was surprised that even with Avatar the 3D was similar to the real thing in a lot of scenes where all there is is depth. However the real 3D disc is much sharper and free of artifacts plus more real looking 3D in key scenes. Sometimes I see stair steps in diagonal lines and a few other weird artifacts. It does what its supposed to though.

I will probably post mine for sale soon. I want to try it one more time connected to my DVR to see if it fixes the saturation adjustment problem.

Ron
post #112 of 349 Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While the 2D to 3D conversion isn't too bad I do see artifacts. For some reason I can't adjust saturation on my H5360 with the Monoprice converter connected so calibrating it for 3D Bluray use is not going to work. In fact the colors look even more saturated in SBS mode from this converter. So for now I don't have any use for it because I don't want to keep connecting/disconnecting HDMI cables to get it setup. I'll have to wait for a real 3D calibration disc to come out.

I was surprised that even with Avatar the 3D was similar to the real thing in a lot of scenes where all there is is depth. However the real 3D disc is much sharper and free of artifacts plus more real looking 3D in key scenes. Sometimes I see stair steps in diagonal lines and a few other weird artifacts. It does what its supposed to though.

I will probably post mine for sale soon. I want to try it one more time connected to my DVR to see if it fixes the saturation adjustment problem.

Ron

I wondering if going through 2 converters is causing a problem. I didn't spend a lot of time with the 2D to 3D DLP but didn't recall seeing any artifacts your talking about. Actually I have the 2D avatar and will try it to see it. Well in my case if I can get some 3D side by side half then it should do real 3D. You don't have a problem since you own the theater. I have some short videos I'm going to try. Every source of movies so far require paying a use fee which I don't mind as long as it works.
post #113 of 349 Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wondering if going through 2 converters is causing a problem. I didn't spend a lot of time with the 2D to 3D DLP but didn't recall seeing any artifacts your talking about. Actually I have the 2D avatar and will try it to see it. Well in my case if I can get some 3D side by side half then it should do real 3D. You don't have a problem since you own the theater. I have some short videos I'm going to try. Every source of movies so far require paying a use fee which I don't mind as long as it works.

If it would just pass frame packed 3D I would keep it. I'll try it on the other side of my Duo between the DVR and Duo. Although I suppose 24p on Directv would be blocked too. I don't watch Directv pay movies anyway. Thing is i can't us it for regular Blurays in that spot. They really screwed up. Bypass should pass everything. Oh I have not tried a splitter yet then run one HDMI to the monoprice and the other to my HDMI switcher. The switcher into the VIP. That may be a way of bypassing it so 3D Bluray will work.
post #114 of 349 Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

your right when they say bypass it should bypass everything or had qualified it in their specs.
post #115 of 349 Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the Monoprice converter sends down the HDMI cable that it is in 3D even while in bypass. That's what my Duo thinks so forget placing it between the DVR and Duo. It also says its in RGB mode. That would explain my colors being off.

I have a work around to bypass the Monoprice converter using a splitter on the Duo output and my monoprice switcher between the converter and VIP Theatre. I can select direct bypass of the monoprice converter and the converter itself by selection via the switcher. I verified the splitter passes 3D just fine even though it claims only 1.3b compliant. I have to order more short 1 foot HDMI cables from Bluejeans cable to hook it all up. Cool!
post #116 of 349 Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well the Monoprice converter sends down the HDMI cable that it is in 3D even while in bypass. That's what my Duo thinks so forget placing it between the DVR and Duo. It also says its in RGB mode. That would explain my colors being off.

I have a work around to bypass the Monoprice converter using a splitter on the Duo output and my monoprice switcher between the converter and VIP Theatre. I can select direct bypass of the monoprice converter and the converter itself by selection via the switcher. I verified the splitter passes 3D just fine even though it claims only 1.3b compliant. I have to order more short 1 foot HDMI cables from Bluejeans cable to hook it all up. Cool!

I put my HD3000 scaler before the monoprice so I could switch sources and watched Avatar in 2D to 3D DLP mode out of my non 3D Bluray and I thought it did a very nice job of adding to the viewing experience. Definitely a keeper for me. Certaintly want to get the 3D version but not at the prevailing market price. Will definitely be a plus for all my 2D movies. Also DLP glasses once on don't show the change in contrast that you see with them off. Worked quite well.
post #117 of 349 Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I put my HD3000 scaler before the monoprice so I could switch sources and watched Avatar in 2D to 3D DLP mode out of my non 3D Bluray and I thought it did a very nice job of adding to the viewing experience. Definitely a keeper for me. Certaintly want to get the 3D version but not at the prevailing market price. Will definitely be a plus for all my 2D movies. Also DLP glasses once on don't show the change in contrast that you see with them off. Worked quite well.

So you feed the Monoprice 1080p SBS and it outputs frame sequential 720p? I bet that looks better than through the VIP at 720p.

I am not going to sell it. My work around will do the trick so I can still pass Bluray 3D onto my VIP.
post #118 of 349 Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you feed the Monoprice 1080p SBS and it outputs frame sequential 720p? I bet that looks better than through the VIP at 720p.

I am not going to sell it. My work around will do the trick so I can still pass Bluray 3D onto my VIP.

I haven't fed it any side by side yet. Still working on getting source material without wasting money in the process of getting it. I did the 2D to 3D DLP mode with Avatar from my 2D BR player. Was impressed with the results. Did not see artifacts you pointed out. The one thing it does that is a little quirky is that bright colors such as yellow tend to be pushed out more in the 3D image. Other than that I certainly thought it did a good job of adding dimensionality and depth with a tad of subtle pop out viewing in some scenes but not to the extent you get with the 3D movie. I would recomend if you have 50 dollars to waste to get a pair of the DLP glasses. I don't regret getting them. the ones I bought were from True Depth 3D.
post #119 of 349 Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't fed it any side by side yet. Still working on getting source material without wasting money in the process of getting it. I did the 2D to 3D DLP mode with Avatar from my 2D BR player. Was impressed with the results. Did not see artifacts you pointed out. The one thing it does that is a little quirky is that bright colors such as yellow tend to be pushed out more in the 3D image. Other than that I certainly thought it did a good job of adding dimensionality and depth with a tad of subtle pop out viewing in some scenes but not to the extent you get with the 3D movie. I would recomend if you have 50 dollars to waste to get a pair of the DLP glasses. I don't regret getting them. the ones I bought were from True Depth 3D.

What i meant was did you feed the monoprice 2D in 1080p and did it output 720p in 3D DLP link? I know you haven't fed it any real SBS yet.

Ron
post #120 of 349 Old 07-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What i meant was did you feed the monoprice 2D in 1080p and did it output 720p in 3D DLP link? I know you haven't fed it any real SBS yet.

Ron

Yes.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page