post #181 of 349 Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by albero67 View Post

Great, thanks a lot for the info. Then I think I will order the box.

I think you will like it. I certainly like it. For 100 dollars its a bagain. The only other thing it should have done is over/under half as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 349 Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Okay so let me understand this...So if I buy... Let's say, Avatar 3D BluRay and load on my 3D Bluray player to view on a non 3D Samsung Plasma.I won't be able to see in 3D ?

Aware me please.
post #183 of 349 Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizuca View Post
Okay so let me understand this...So if I buy... Let's say, Avatar 3D BluRay and load on my 3D Bluray player to view on a non 3D Samsung Plasma.I won't be able to see in 3D ?

Aware me please.
This unit does not pass frame packed 1080P,24 hz. You must have a side by side version of avatar that can either be displayed in 3D on the Samsung plasma with the red/cayan glasses or a 3D DLP projector using DLP Link glasses.
post #184 of 349 Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Oh that's a bummer,so if I understand right the only unit right now that does them both TV/DVD 3D is the VIP Theater right ?

That thing is too expensive, almost $800.00 for the Theater + Glasses...
post #185 of 349 Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Liked: 12
I bought the box, connected with hdmi 1.3 cable to my receiver and with hdmi 1.4 cable to my optoma hd66. I am not impressed at all with the result watching dvd, xbox. It's hard to watch even. Comcast is not converted to 3d at all and gives a black screen when trying to conver, although sound is still working. My goal with this was xbox360, dvd and comcast. So it does some conversion, just hard to watch. Would that be the glasses that come with the box?
Any suggestions to make this work? Are the blue/cyan glasses really much worse than the dlp glasses. Would that make the difference for me? If it's a big difference, I am willing to try. But a small improvement will still not make it worth. Buying dlp glasses just to try is a little bit expensive.
post #186 of 349 Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I bought the box, connected with hdmi 1.3 cable to my receiver and with hdmi 1.4 cable to my optoma hd66. I am not impressed at all with the result watching dvd, xbox. It's hard to watch even. Comcast is not converted to 3d at all and gives a black screen when trying to conver, although sound is still working. My goal with this was xbox360, dvd and comcast. So it does some conversion, just hard to watch. Would that be the glasses that come with the box?
Any suggestions to make this work? Are the blue/cyan glasses really much worse than the dlp glasses. Would that make the difference for me? If it's a big difference, I am willing to try. But a small improvement will still not make it worth. Buying dlp glasses just to try is a little bit expensive.

You need DLP link glasses for the best results. The red/blue glasses that come with the converter is for 2D displays and makes it a 2 color image. Colors are way off.
post #187 of 349 Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks. That's what I figured. Already ordered 2 Optoma dlp glasses for only $63,- a pair.

Little status update on what works on the Monoprice 3d creator for me and what is not working. Maybe helpfull for other people:

- dvd player , 2d content is converted to 3d
- xbox - games , 2d content is converted to 3d
- xbox - 3d movies , via Windows Media Center: I got it to work, but took some real effort. Now it plays 3d mkv sbs content via Windows Media Center (running on Windows 7 64 bit notebook). Natively, WMC can't handle mkv files so I had to install divx plus codec pack to let WMC play mkv format. This did the job for Media Player and I could see the movie in WMC, but still no sound. So had to install additional AC3 codec. Now everything works great and I can play the mkv sbs movies from the xbox so I don't have to run around with my notebook all the time.
- Comcast / 3d TV , they activated Xfinity 3d and ESPN 3d for me. Had to call 3 different comcast numbers and waited for 30 minutes, they really discourage people to go to 3d. After activating it was clear that this doesn't work with the box. Comcast is using 1080i, Monoprice 3d creator needs 1080p. Also, ESPN 3d is top/bottom which will not be handled by the box. Xfinity 3d is sbs. It will pass the comcast content (and any other content) if the box is switched off. So no need to change cables or anything.
Update: Comcast TV works fine now after setting the comcast Motorola DCX-3200M to 720p instead of 1080i (thanks to pheggie and google). This can be done by turning the modem off and press immediately on MENU on the comcast remote. It converts the 2d channels and you can watch the Xfinity 3d sbs channel in 3d. ESPN3d is top/bottom, so you can't watch this. Too bad, but you can't have it all.
- Blu-ray 3d: , I don't need Blu-ray if you can play 3d movies via the Xbox, even though the quality will suffer a little. But the Optoma hd66 is 720p anyway.

I am satisfied with the result for now. If the Optoma DLP glasses are going to improve the quality over the red/cyan I will keep the box. Red/cyan is gives way too much ghosting and is kind of painfull to watch. But it does show the potential, so hopefully the dlp glasses will take away these issues.
post #188 of 349 Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM

i have a samsung hlt5687s model with my ps3 and xbox 360 going through the mits converter which works excellent.if i purchased the monoprice 3d converter and put it between the mits converter and the tv would this work properly?i would use the monoprice converter when i dont have any 3d material to convert 2d games and movies and use the mits converter for my 3d movies and games which would have to pass through the monoprice converter with the 3d option set off.i guess my main concern is this possible.
post #189 of 349 Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
- Comcast / 3d TV , they activated Xfinity 3d and ESPN 3d for me. Had to call 3 different comcast numbers and waited for 30 minutes, they really discourage people to go to 3d. After activating it was clear that this doesn't work with the box. Comcast is using 1080i, Monoprice 3d creator needs 1080p. Also, ESPN3d is top/bottom which will not be handled by the box. Xfinity 3d is sbs. It will pass the comcast content (and any other content) if the box is switched off. So no need to change cables or anything.
- Blu-ray 3d: , I don't need Blu-ray if you can play 3d movies via the Xbox, even though the quality will suffer a little. But the Optoma hd66 is 720p anyway.
I think there will be a setting in comcast box to change it from 1080i to 720p

720p will work with the monoprice.
post #190 of 349 Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheggie View Post

720p and 108op work with the monoprice. Yes using DLP glasses is better than the red/cayan glasses. However I have a copy of Avatar in Dubois Anaglyph which is phenomenal. Ghosting is non existent and colors are more natural.
Power DVD 11 is supposed to use this. I'm hoping more titles appear using this.
post #191 of 349 Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Great tip. I managed to get in the menu of the Motorola comcast box and change the setting to 720p. Everything works great now. So everything I wanted is now 3d. Even the normal TV programs look great converted to 3d. Can't wait to see the results when the Optoma dlp glasses arrive. I almost would have bought the $ 350 3d-xl converter from Optoma. But I can do everything now with the 3d creator for $ 100,-. Awesome.
post #192 of 349 Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheggie View Post

Great tip. I managed to get in the menu of the Motorola comcast box and change the setting to 720p. Everything works great now. So everything I wanted is now 3d. Even the normal TV programs look great converted to 3d. Can't wait to see the results when the Optoma dlp glasses arrive. I almost would have bought the $ 350 3d-xl converter from Optoma. But I can do everything now with the 3d creator for $ 100,-. Awesome.
post #193 of 349 Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

i have a samsung hlt5687s model with my ps3 and xbox 360 going through the mits converter which works excellent.if i purchased the monoprice 3d converter and put it between the mits converter and the tv would this work properly?i would use the monoprice converter when i dont have any 3d material to convert 2d games and movies and use the mits converter for my 3d movies and games which would have to pass through the monoprice converter with the 3d option set off.i guess my main concern is this possible.

When the 3d creator is in stand by (3d option set off), it just passes throught whatever it gets in my setup. So I think it should work fine.
post #194 of 349 Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM

will the monoprice 3d creator work for regular movies and games if i use it into the 3d converter from mits which would convert it to checkerboard for my 3d samsung dlp 5687s. i contacted monoprice and they couldn't give me an answer.i was was going to use it after the mits converter but realized it wouldn't work.
post #195 of 349 Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 AM

Sorry for the silly question but I have some credit to burn with Monoprice and was debating this unit. I currently have a 50" 720p Sony RP-LCD. I'm running D-VHS, HD DVD, Blu-ray and an Xbox 360 via HDMI to a Monoprice HDMI switchbox to the Sony. I was simply interested in getting cheap 2D to 3D conversion for the above 2D sources so I'd be using the included Red/Cyan 3D glasses. Based upon what I read this morning I'm concluding that this approach is horrific due to color issues. Is this correct? Am I better off to just watch, say, The Deep on Blu-ray alone in 2D and forget the unit altogether or will this magic box really make a respectable 3D presentation of the movie. What I've read is that it would make it basically unwatchable :-/
post #196 of 349 Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar3 View Post

Sorry for the silly question but I have some credit to burn with Monoprice and was debating this unit. I currently have a 50" 720p Sony RP-LCD. I'm running D-VHS, HD DVD, Blu-ray and an Xbox 360 via HDMI to a Monoprice HDMI switchbox to the Sony. I was simply interested in getting cheap 2D to 3D conversion for the above 2D sources so I'd be using the included Red/Cyan 3D glasses. Based upon what I read this morning I'm concluding that this approach is horrific due to color issues. Is this correct? Am I better off to just watch, say, The Deep on Blu-ray alone in 2D and forget the unit altogether or will this magic box really make a respectable 3D presentation of the movie. What I've read is that it would make it basically unwatchable :-/

Some people are bothered by the color issues of anaglyph. If your interest is correct colors over 3D then you could have an issue with it. I prefer having 3D and accept the color issues.
post #197 of 349 Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM

with an E3D420VX and SBS input, this little box looks very good - don't notice any artifacts on "Machete" with a cheap upconverting Pioneer dvd player - got cheap HDMI cable on input, and highspeed HDMI cable out to tv - for DVD the Monoprice 3D creator is a cheap and satisfying way to fill in a lot of 3D content
http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-DV-220...6913260&sr=1-2

I can freeze a frame with the Monoprice and get good 3D popout !
post #198 of 349 Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

Some people are bothered by the color issues of anaglyph. If your interest is correct colors over 3D then you could have an issue with it. I prefer having 3D and accept the color issues.

Hi mkoss,

Do you know if you are color blind or not? Just curious because I have brother in laws that are color blind and off color doesn't bother them. I work with a guy who works with video that is color blind too. Its very common. I can tolerate slightly off colors but that's about it for me.

The monoprice 3D creator forces RGB color mode but my Acer projector does not project it correctly unless I feed the monoprice RGB color. I really don't want to buy DLP link glasses and don't care much for how it looks with my 3D Theatre unit. I am thinking of selling it. It doesn't get any use in my setup.

Ron
post #199 of 349 Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Hi mkoss,

Do you know if you are color blind or not? Just curious because I have brother in laws that are color blind and off color doesn't bother them. I work with a guy who works with video that is color blind too. Its very common. I can tolerate slightly off colors but that's about it for me.

The monoprice 3D creator forces RGB color mode but my Acer projector does not project it correctly unless I feed the monoprice RGB color. I really don't want to buy DLP link glasses and don't care much for how it looks with my 3D Theatre unit. I am thinking of selling it. It doesn't get any use in my setup.

Ron

I have subtle brown/green color blindness but that's the extent of it. But I'm a stickler on contrast ratio. I hate when blacks are not black. As I said I know the colors are off and it does bother me when there's considerable blue in the under water scenes. I'm just the opposite I'm using the monoprice more than the displayer. I have a ton of side by sides now. As I said previously dubois anaglyph is a big improvement over the standard. The problem with active shutter glass technology for me is it is not simple enough to be long lived.
post #200 of 349 Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have subtle brown/green color blindness but that's the extent of it. But I'm a stickler on contrast ratio. I hate when blacks are not black. As I said I know the colors are off and it does bother me when there's considerable blue in the under water scenes. I'm just the opposite I'm using the monoprice more than the displayer. I have a ton of side by sides now. As I said previously dubois anaglyph is a big improvement over the standard. The problem with active shutter glass technology for me is it is not simple enough to be long lived.

The darker image bugs me! Even with the Acer which is bright as hell in 2D still could be brighter in 3D. Wearing glasses doesn't bother me but the dimmer image does.
post #201 of 349 Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

The darker image bugs me! Even with the Acer which is bright as hell in 2D still could be brighter in 3D. Wearing glasses doesn't bother me but the dimmer image does.

having screen gain can offset this loss of brightness. i wish my silver torus was larger. it was designed for the 4 by 3 format. but what pop it has. incidently the dlp mode offsets the brightness issue somewhat compensating the glasses.
post #202 of 349 Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked: 11
Im sorry for This amateur question!
What video format has better quality?
A native anaglyph mkv file or a side by side mkv file converted to anaglyph with the monoprice?
I want to watch with red/cyan glasses.
Anybody knows?
Thank you
post #203 of 349 Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

having screen gain can offset this loss of brightness. i wish my silver torus was larger. it was designed for the 4 by 3 format. but what pop it has. incidently the dlp mode offsets the brightness issue somewhat compensating the glasses.

It does I have a Draper M2500 but its only about 1.7 gain. I am up in the 30 plus ft-L range off the screen with 2D in the best mode and around 4.5-5ft-L off the screen with 3D. Its not bad especially after getting used to it and my pupils open up fully. Bright mode I measure way up in the 80ft-L but in 3D the brightness drops down to the 6.5ft-L range. Its not all glasses because even measuring without the glasses it drop a lot measuring at the screen while in 3D. 120 inch diagonal 16x9 screen.
post #204 of 349 Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 PM

The Monoprice 3D Creator at its deepest setting has more offset between left and right images and sometimes more illusion of "3D" than Vefxi's 3D Bee Home unit. I wish 3D-Bee Home had a setting with a bit more overall depth.
post #205 of 349 Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This only outputs 720p? That's not really clear from the MP website.
post #206 of 349 Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

This only outputs 720p? That's not really clear from the MP website.

In 3D mode but 720p 1080p in pass through except 1080p 24 hz frame packed 3D
post #207 of 349 Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

isn't infitec a modern version of anaglyph?

Infitec and Dolby3D use dichroic filters to filter the light spectrum, it looks like full color to the viewer, I think the result is better than polarized tech like Real3D.
post #208 of 349 Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post

Infitec and Dolby3D use dichroic filters to filter the light spectrum, it looks like full color to the viewer, I think the result is better than polarized tech like Real3D.

I believe there's a topic on avs that covers this in depth. No need for polarizing screen or pj polarizing filters. Having seen dubois anaglyph results I may research this more since I have 2 identical pj's that could take advantage of this.
post #209 of 349 Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 AM

So I finally obtained a Monoprice 3D Creator for my 2D 50" Sony 720p RP-LCD. The 2D to 3D anaglyph mode is really hit or miss depending on the scene in question. I wasn't expecting miracles but I honestly thought it would be better than what I experienced. The next day I put some SBS avi (half) files onto a USB memory stick and played it through my Xbox 360 and the SBS (half) to 3D anaglyph mode of the Monoprice. W-O-W. It was simply amazing to see this running on my 2005 RP-LCD.

So now obviously I'm hungry for more and more SBS (half) material. I take it for all my 2D DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-rays I have two options. Either rip and convert the stuff myself via AVISynth or buy a 3D-Bee and let that do it for me. Again, I only have a 2D 720p RP-LCD so my options are fairly limited here I'm thinking.
post #210 of 349 Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar3 View Post

So I finally obtained a Monoprice 3D Creator for my 2D 50" Sony 720p RP-LCD. The 2D to 3D anaglyph mode is really hit or miss depending on the scene in question. I wasn't expecting miracles but I honestly thought it would be better than what I experienced. The next day I put some SBS avi (half) files onto a USB memory stick and played it through my Xbox 360 and the SBS (half) to 3D anaglyph mode of the Monoprice. W-O-W. It was simply amazing to see this running on my 2005 RP-LCD.

So now obviously I'm hungry for more and more SBS (half) material. I take it for all my 2D DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-rays I have two options. Either rip and convert the stuff myself via AVISynth or buy a 3D-Bee and let that do it for me. Again, I only have a 2D 720p RP-LCD so my options are fairly limited here I'm thinking.

Rather than spending on the 3d Bee from what I gather it is does not make for miracles in producing 2d to 3d. For what it cost I invest your money in researching the internet . Theer's a lot of side by side material available. It's not free but not a fortune either to get a hold of.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page