3D Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,i'm new to forum and 3D.I just purchased a Samsung plasma 3d TV and blu -ray player and my service provider is Comcast.When using my blu-ray player 3d works fine.However,when I watch 3d via comcast I have problems.Some channels/areas work fine,i.e.,ESPN,special short features,etc and they all appear to be in the upper/lower format.Those channels that are in the side by side format,i.e.,HBO,STARTZ,etc.keep a double image in 3D mode.
I've talked to Comcast and Samsung numerous times and no-one feels that it's there problem.Would anyone have a feel for what I can do to resolve the problem or isolate where it is.Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Manually change the 3D setting to SBS.
post #3 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure where (TV or cable box) and how to change the setting.Could someone explain how to do that?
post #4 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfk View Post

I'm not sure where (TV or cable box) and how to change the setting.Could someone explain how to do that?

Should be a function under the tv menu or on the remote
post #5 of 42 Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Whenever I play something in 3d the remote has a 3d button that brings up a screen that has 3 options,2d to 3d,side by side and over under.If the signal is over under it plays fine.If its side by side and you pick this option the picture gets better but it still retains a double image.I'm assuming that this was the manual setting that was recommended.
post #6 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 AM

Now make sure your glasses are on.
post #7 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

My glasses were on.I even tried different pairs but that didn't help.
post #8 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Almost all Comcast if not all broadcast all ESPN-3D channels broadcast in 720p/60 Top-and Bottom(TNB) format and you need to select that format on your Samsung
post #9 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 288
What resolution is your cable box set to output? Does it have a "Native" setting where 720p is output at 720p and 1080i is output at 1080i, or are you forced to choose one?

The HDMI 1.4 spec only requires support for side-by-side 3D at 1080i resolution, and support for top/bottom 3D at either 720p or 1080p24.

Some 3D TVs are flexible and will process side-by-side even at 720p, or top/bottom at 1080i. However, others stick to the specific guidelines and will not process these.

If your cable box is set to output 720p, your TV may not be able to process the side-by-side signal. Switch to 1080i and see if that fixes it (though top/bottom may no longer work).

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.My cable box is a Scientific atlanta-explorer 8300HD box and I haven't found anywhere to change settings.If I look at the front display it looks like all channels are coming out as 1080i.
Of the 2 dedicated 3d channels-790 which is ESPN comes in over/under and works fine while 791 which is misc. stuff comes in side by side and retains some double images/ghost.On demand HBO and Starz also comes in side by side and has the same problem as channel 791.
I'm at the point of not knowing what to do next or who to call.
post #11 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

if your 3D program channel is coming in as 720p/60 TNB such as ESPN-3d you have to tell your TV that that is wha it what it is. IF your 3D program channel is coming in as 1080i SBS than you have to tell your TV that is what it is. Your TV most likely will only auto confiture the HDMI double buffer 3D format from a 3D blue ray disk player or PS3.
post #12 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What model TV do you have and are you using 1.4 cables? See if your provider has some free on demand 3D movie like my Time Warner cable company. I have 2 Samsung 3D TV's and two SA converter boxes. On my cable boxes I go to settings and set display to 1080i.

Now go to some on demand 3d program and start it. Mine starts in top and bottom. Then push the 3D button on the remote. Then hit OK and scroll to the Top/Bottom Icon. Turn on the glasses and you should be good to go.
post #13 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks,
My TV model # is Samsung PN64D8000FFXZA and I am using high speed 1.4 cables.Comcast on-demand provides about 6-3D things to look at,special events,sports,free specials,music,HBO and STARTZ. The first 4 come in top & bottom and play fine.The other two HBO & STARTZ come in side by side and these are the ones I'm having a problem with.
I cannot find anyway to adjust settings like display on either the TV or cable box.I believe the TV auto sets itself based on what its getting.
post #14 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Strange that the side to side doesn't work. Might be a problem with the HBO and Starz. Here's another test to try. If your TV is connected to the Samsung Apps via a Network, Vudu also has a number of 3D trailers to use for a test. As I recall these automatically start the 3D without you needing to switch any thing on the glasses but turn on the power.
post #15 of 42 Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks,
My TV model # is Samsung PN64D8000FFXZA and I am using high speed 1.4 cables.Comcast on-demand provides about 6-3D things to look at,special events,sports,free specials,music,HBO and STARTZ. The first 4 come in top & bottom and play fine.The other two HBO & STARTZ come in side by side and these are the ones I'm having a problem with.
I cannot find anyway to adjust settings like display on either the TV or cable box.I believe the TV auto sets itself based on what its getting.

Found this on the web by googling your SA explorer box; it's instructions for accessing the HD setup wizard. Oddly enough, these instructions aren't in the printed manual!

Check out the resolution adjustments (Step 5) in bold:

Quote:

Step 1: Turn off the power to the box and hold down the “Guide” and “Info” buttons at the same time. Upon holding the buttons down, you’ll be brought to a page that welcomes you to the set-up and asks you if you’d like to proceed.

Step 2: Press the yellow “A” key on your remote to proceed with configuration. This will take you to a new screen that allows you to configure the box via “Easy Mode” or “Advanced Mode.” I’ve used both and the only real option here is “Advanced.”

Step 3: Press the blue “B” key on your remote to enter the “Advanced Mode” menu. If you’re following this guide and you’re using an HD box to do it, you’re likely viewing shows on a 16:9 screen.

Step 4: Choose the “Wide-Screen Mode” option by pressing the blue “B” button on your remote. Next, the set-up will show a screen that explains the procedure. It basically says that it will run through screen resolutions. If you can see an image on the screen, your HDTV is capable of viewing video at that resolution and you should select it.

If the screen is black, you won’t be able to view it and you shouldn’t select it. For example, if you have a 720p/1080i HDTV, you won’t be able to view any content in 1080p, although you won’t have to worry about that on cable shows just yet.

Step 5: Start running through your the resolutions. At this point, the operation becomes quite self-explanatory. Start with the lowest resolution (480i) and start testing each with the blue “B” key. If you can see the screen, select it and move on. If not, your HDTV doesn’t support that resolution.

Step 6: Complete the set up by pressing the “Exit” button. Now that you have found all of the resolutions your box can pump through your HDTV, you’re ready to go.

So, per Josh Z's comments above, try switching to 1080i for side by side mode / 720p for top & bottom.

Good luck!
post #16 of 42 Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Of the 2 dedicated 3d channels-790 which is ESPN comes in over/under and works fine while 791 which is misc. stuff comes in side by side and retains some double images/ghost.

I think we need to define what it is that you're calling "double images." The way your first post was worded, it sounded like the side-by-side signal isn't being processed into 3D at all, and you're still seeing two completely separate 2D images, one next to the other. Is that correct?

This is the not the same thing as "ghosting." Ghosting (or crosstalk) is when you get a 3D picture, but some information meant for one eye intrudes into the other, so the two images don't quite overlap correctly.

What is it that you're seeing?

Josh Z

post #17 of 42 Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion but it's hard for me to describe what's happening(which I know makes it difficult to get help).Let me see if this helps;
-when I try to play a program that's side by side the 1st thing I see are
two images on both sides of the screen in a very clear image.
-when I hit the 3d button the images get a little blurry but otherwise
are the same as above.
-then I select the side by side option and put on /turn on my glasses.The
picture gets clearer and the screen is no longer split.However, in some
scenes its does look like a ghost however in others it looks like theres
two of the same thing/person.Also its hard for me(being completely new
to 3d) to tell if its even in 3d.
I hope this helps better explain what I'm seeing.Please let me know if I can provide anymore information.Thanks
post #18 of 42 Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it sounds like your display is indeed seeing the SBS format, so ignore my post above.

You either have a problem with the glasses/emitter syncing to the picture, or you're getting excessive ghosting, or you're having trouble with the convergence/parallax for the particular content you're watching.

If you close one eye while viewing through the glasses, do you sill see the doubling?
post #19 of 42 Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

If I cover an eye, I don't see the double image.Based on what you're reading is there someone I need to call to fix this problem or is this the way it's going to be for the SBS format?
post #20 of 42 Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I cover an eye, I don't see the double image.Based on what you're reading is there someone I need to call to fix this problem or is this the way it's going to be for the SBS format?

If you're not seeing the ghosting through one eye, it isn't crosstalk. Either your eyes have trouble converging the views, or the content is mastered with parallax issues.

Does your set or your blu-ray player have a setting for "3d depth" or screen size? Try adjusting that.
post #21 of 42 Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Does your set or your blu-ray player have a setting for "3d depth" or screen size? Try adjusting that.

Since he seems to only have the problem with side-by-side content via cable, we can rule a Blu-ray player out.

Josh Z

post #22 of 42 Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Since he seems to only have the problem with side-by-side content via cable, we can rule a Blu-ray player out.

Erp... correct!

OP: if you have a setting like this on your display, note that it won't adjust the degree of depth between foregound & background, it will just offset the left & right eye images. That may be enough to address the problem for you, though.
post #23 of 42 Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate you guys staying with me on this.I couldn't find anything that said screen size on the TV,however,I did see picture size which stated !6:9.
I did find an adjustment for perspective & depth but neither seemed to help.
As I mentioned when in 3D mode with SBS selected and my glasses on(I have tried different pairs) is when I encounter my problem.Also it really doesn't look like its in 3d.Is there any movie that I could buy that's in SBS
format that would let me see what happens when I use my Blu Ray with this format?Is there anything on the back of movies that says what format,i.e,SBS,over-under,etc. its in?
post #24 of 42 Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I appreciate you guys staying with me on this.I couldn't find anything that said screen size on the TV,however,I did see picture size which stated !6:9.
I did find an adjustment for perspective & depth but neither seemed to help.
As I mentioned when in 3D mode with SBS selected and my glasses on(I have tried different pairs) is when I encounter my problem.Also it really doesn't look like its in 3d.Is there any movie that I could buy that's in SBS
format that would let me see what happens when I use my Blu Ray with this format?Is there anything on the back of movies that says what format,i.e,SBS,over-under,etc. its in?

Blyu-ray 3D is encoded in a format called "frame packed". Two full 1080p pictures are stacked one on top of the other. The side-by-side and top/bottom formats are designed for cable broadcast, so that the two images can be crammed into a single 1080p frame (each loses resolution in the process).

Josh Z

post #25 of 42 Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I think the problem is solved.While talking to Comcast today about overall system reliability issues I mentioned my frustration with my current 3D issues.He hooked me up with one of his 3D guys who stated that my problem is probably with my 8300HD box which is known to send some signals that the TV doesn't know what to do with it.He said to swap it out for a new Cisco RNG 200 box which I did and now the ghost/double images are gone.
Since I had previously called Comcast about this issue 3-4 times,its frustrating to just now get to the real problem.
Once again I appreciate all your help/hand holding as we worked this issue.
post #26 of 42 Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think the problem is solved.While talking to Comcast today about overall system reliability issues I mentioned my frustration with my current 3D issues.He hooked me up with one of his 3D guys who stated that my problem is probably with my 8300HD box which is known to send some signals that the TV doesn't know what to do with it.He said to swap it out for a new Cisco RNG 200 box which I did and now the ghost/double images are gone.
Since I had previously called Comcast about this issue 3-4 times,its frustrating to just now get to the real problem.
Once again I appreciate all your help/hand holding as we worked this issue.

Glad you finally got to the bottom of this. Enjoy your 3D!

Josh Z

post #27 of 42 Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Help!

I just got my Panasonic ST TV, 3D panasonic Avator kit. I charged the glasses and turned to Directv 3net to watch high octane in 3D. I put the glasses on and the picture was blurry. To say the least, I am disappointed.
My TV 3D settings are as follows:

Auto Detect 3D: Auto 2
3D Signal Notification: On
3D Adjustment: On
Effect: 0
Left/Right Swap: Normal
Diagonal Line Filter: off

What am I doing wrong!

Thanks
post #28 of 42 Old 06-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good movie, will watch again.
post #29 of 42 Old 06-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks,

On the Samsung, the Picture settings have a 3D settings option. It is initially off-screen and you have to scroll for it. Sadly, the thing doesn't seem to remember the setting, not even for the given HDMI port, nor does it autodetect my DirecTV SBS format -- thinks it's 2D.
post #30 of 42 Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK todays 3D TVs do not auto-detect the 1/2R SbS or TNB fromats from cable and satellite services. They will, however, auto-detect the packed double format full res format from 3D Blu-ray disks.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page