TotalMedia Theatre 5 vs. PowerDVD v11.0.1620.51 Ultra - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TotalMedia Theatre 5 vs. PowerDVD v11.0.1620.51 Ultra

Which of these two programs is better at 3D performance ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Also, which is better at 2D-3D conversion?

Thanks
post #3 of 13 Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

TotalMedia Theatre 5 vs. PowerDVD v11.0.1620.51 Ultra

Which of these two programs is better at 3D performance ?

I have up to date originals of both. Personally I think powerdvd offers the best 3d performance however it has this irritating bug were it somtimes loses your preferred sound settings. To fix you have to pause the movie, switch it to 2d mode and select the hd sound stream, then switch it back to 3d. PDVD's 3d conversion mode is miles better than TMT in my opinion however neither can convert blu rays to 3d, only dvd or divx's etc.

TK421 why aren't you at your post?.......TK421 do you copy?
post #4 of 13 Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the info so far.

How does PowerDVD 11 fare against the TriDef media player in terms of 2D - 3D conversion?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just upgraded an older PDVD 10 to 11 Ultra last night. Cyberlink is running a Black Friday special and I was able to get the upgrade for $39 (and it came with a free code to download the Cyberlink Mobile app & remote app for my Android phone and tablet).

For whatever reason, the TMT5 I bought last year no longer works in 3D. This stupid software has been buggy from day one. I bought it on Black Friday last year as well for $60. When it worked, the picture quality was much better than PDVD, but like I said, TMT5 was really buggy. Some times the movie would play really slow and glitchy (I have a i7 2600k, 16GB ram, GTX460's running in SLI and SSD drive, so my system is more than sufficient). I've tried uninstalling and re-installing and nothing seems to fix the issue with the 3D not working, but now that I switched over to PDVD11, TMT5 has been permanently removed from my computer.

The 2D to 3D conversion on both of these software titles are "ok" at best. One of the weird things about these programs when they do 2D to 3D is that... say you have a 16:9 movie and you push the 2D/3D button to make this movie 3D... well, when this happens, on the left and right side, you'll see a slight variation or offset of the picture. A movie should sit flush with the edge of the screen, but now that it's being converted to 3D, there's this over-lapping of the Side-By-Side images and it leaves gaps on the right and left sides of the screen. It's a little annoying. Plus, you should really have the BEST quality video if you want to do 2D to 3D conversion. DVD quality or Youtube quality is not sufficient. Sure, it works, but it looks like crap. The 2D to 3D isn't that great for every movie, TV show, video, etc. either. Some material looks better than others. As this is "fake 3D", it doesn't look as good as professional 3D material, either, but for some stuff, it's good enough, especially if you really like 3D. I mean, you won't see objects popping out at you (this is rare even with 3D Blu-ray movies) but you will have pseudo depth with most material being viewed.

One of my favorite 2D to 3D movies to watch is the old Tron movie, however, that movie has several scenes where there are lines (either on their costume or the grid or scenery) and the 2D to 3D conversion doesn't know how to interpret these lines correctly so they end up looking distorted and wavy, but IMHO, it's pretty cool to see the original Tron movie in pseudo 3D. The old 1984 movie DUNE looks pretty decent as well.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info BishopLord

I tried to test TriDef 5 but couldn't get it to run (tried compatibility mode, run as Administrator, etc.). I guess I'll end up buying PowerDVD since I have an Nvidia card anyway so I don't really need the core TriDef functionality. Also, my informal testing with red/blue 3D glasses on a regular monitor seemed to give PowerDVD 11 the edge over TMT 5.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post

Thanks for the info BishopLord

I tried to test TriDef 5 but couldn't get it to run (tried compatibility mode, run as Administrator, etc.). I guess I'll end up buying PowerDVD since I have an Nvidia card anyway so I don't really need the core TriDef functionality. Also, my informal testing with red/blue 3D glasses on a regular monitor seemed to give PowerDVD 11 the edge over TMT 5.

The reason why you can't get TriDef to run is that it only works with ATI cards. TriDef and iZ3D along with an ATI card was the only competition for Nvidia/3D Vision, however, when it comes to gaming and the 3D supported software and hardware, Nvidia has the support. BTW, if you hadn't noticed, some people on this forum do not like Nvidia or 3D Vision, but I think the majority of the people on this forum only like 3D with Blu-ray players and their Mitsu-TV's. However, I think the Nvidia backlash was due to the fact that you needed their 3D emitter to unlock the 3D Vision driver in those apps like TMT5 and PDVD. 3D Vision is a free download, but in order to use it, you need that emitter which at the time only came with the 3D Vision kit (however, there is a software emulator and other ways around this, like the knockoff emitter you can by from 3DTV Corp). Today, you can buy the emitter on Ebay for $25 or use that emulator.

I used iZ3D a couple years ago when I had an ATI card. It was ok. I liked that I could play certain Windows games in 3D (like Chess). Now that I have 3D Vision/Nvidia, the ability to play Chess in 3D is not available but I'm ok with that. I didn't like Chess that much anyhow. All my other games are fully compatible with 3D Vision because as they say, "Nvidia. The way it's meant to be played." I just downloaded Alice: Madness Returns from Amazon. Been meaning to buy this game for some time now as the PhysX looks amazing and it's rated Excellent for 3D Vision. It's $14.99 on Amazon download right now, 50% for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks BishopLord. Have you tried Movavi for 2D-3D conversion?
post #9 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post

Thanks BishopLord. Have you tried Movavi for 2D-3D conversion?

Yep. You can see some of my conversions here:

http://www.4shared.com/folder/E6a1byv_/3D_online.html
post #10 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

Yep. You can see some of my conversions here:

http://www.4shared.com/folder/E6a1byv_/3D_online.html

Would you say it's better than PowerDVD/TMT?
post #11 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Hard question to answer. I had an issue with trying to convert some videos using Movavi but playing them with PDVD 2D/3D worked fine. For example, there is a sample "wildlife" video that comes with Windows 7. I couldn't get that to convert without excessive double imaging (not ghosting, either) with Movavi, but playing it with PDVD11 look fine in pseudo 3D.

The Movavi is great if you want to convert a video and share it with other people. The PDVD11 converter is great if you want to watch a 2D/3D convert on the fly. With Movavi, depending on how fast your computer is and how many minutes the video you're trying to convert, it may take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours to convert a video, whereas the PDVD11 is on the fly. I'd say the overall quality of the pseudo 3D is equal, though.

You can trial the Movavi 3D. It'll leave a watermark on your video but you'll get an idea if you like it or not. They always have discount codes, too, if you want to buy it. http://pr2.netatlantic.com/t/1450553...9040/151280/0/

BTW -

I just took advantage of that offer in the link I posted above. I already had Movavi Video Suite 9, but went ahead and bought the latest version, Suite 10. It now has a 3D editor, 2D to 3D converter and a 3D viewer. This 3D viewer can also view my 3D .mkv rips! If I known this before, I wouldn't have bought the PDVD11 last night. (the Movavi 3D Video Converter is a separate software. That one you can catch on sale at least once a month. I honestly wouldn't pay the price they're asking right now as I got it for $29.95 earlier this year. I've seen the price go down to $19.95, too)
post #12 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks so much! This is great information.

I think I'll go with PowerDVD. I don't share videos very often, and I see no advantage in waiting for Movavi to convert something if I can watch it on the fly on PowerDVD with the same quality.

Regards
post #13 of 13 Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

No problem. There's also that Movavi Suite 10 that includes a 2D to 3D viewer that works just like PDVD11, plus it has all the other tools (video capture, screen capture, video editing, DVD/BD disc burning, copying, etc.). Right now PDVD11 is on Black Friday sale for $69. I bought it yesterday as an upgrade from PDVD10 for $39. The Movavi Suite 10 is $35. I bought both, LOL.

If anything, I would download the Movavi Video Suite 10 as a trial and play around with it. It's fully functional but it'll leave a water mark on your videos if you convert or rip a disc. I don't think PDVD has a trial anymore.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page