Difference in quality of 3D Glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to find out if there's a difference between brands of 3D glasses that would effect the picture quality of the movie. I have 2 pairs of Panasonic glasses (they came in a set):

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-E...2390604&sr=1-1

I also have two other pairs of generic ones I found on Amazon.com (these two appear to be identical, even though they're different part numbers):

http://www.amazon.com/Sainstore-Rech...2390474&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/GBSG03-JP-Acti...390474&sr=8-10

Each of the three (Panasonic + 2 other brands) seem slightly different, but I can't say that one is "better" than another.

The one complaint I have about all of them is that the lens isn't tall enough and they sit too high on my nose. This means you're always watching the movie through a narrow point of view. You can remove the nose piece from the generic ones, which allow them to sit higher on your face and allow the lens to cover more of your eye. It's a bit better, but uncomfortable.

I was hoping to find ones with bigger lenses, that were as high quality as possible. I found new ones that are supposed to be released soon. They claim to have the fastest shutter speed and certainly look like they'll cover more of my eye when viewing.

http://www.xpand.me/products/youniversal-3d-glasses/

Can anyone provide some input? Are all 3D glasses the same, or could some potentially allow for a clearer picture when viewing? I imagine the glass that's used in the lens might make a difference. What about shutter speed? Is that just a gimmick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Liked: 10
Panasonic is coming out with a new model of glasses. I know J & R has them for preorder for $69.99. They are supposed to be superior to the previous models in every aspect. They are lighter and recharge much faster. I would wait for those to come out. They should be available within a month.
http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_T...ductTabDetails

From what I have read the Xpand glasses that are currently available work well with 2010 Panasonics but not the 2011's.
post #3 of 31 Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

Are all 3D glasses the same....

All 3D glasses are not the same. Shutter speed and transmittance both can make a difference, in addition to other factors.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 31 Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

This was just posted on CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20

Hopefully more companies will make higher-end 3D glasses, now that they'll only have to make one kind.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That means the glasses will sync with more, and hopefully all, brands of TVs.

Quality will still remain an issue between brands.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #6 of 31 Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
so the glasses can and do effect the quality of 3d? does this mean that a pair of GOOD glasses will exhibit less crosstalk and more pop out?
post #7 of 31 Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

so the glasses can and do effect the quality of 3d? does this mean that a pair of GOOD glasses will exhibit less crosstalk and more pop out?

It's not going to turn crosstalk-riddled 3D into crystal-clear 3D, but sure, you'll find that some glasses are a hair better than others.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #8 of 31 Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB0801 View Post

Panasonic is coming out with a new model of glasses. I know J & R has them for preorder for $69.99. They are supposed to be superior to the previous models in every aspect. They are lighter and recharge much faster. I would wait for those to come out. They should be available within a month.
http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_T...ductTabDetails

From what I have read the Xpand glasses that are currently available work well with 2010 Panasonics but not the 2011's.

Looks like these 3rd gen Panny glasses are showing up in Best Buys now:

http://www.**************.com/showth...l=1#post263599

Note: High Def Junkies is the ****'d out section, don't know why it's doing that.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #9 of 31 Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Well first it depends on what the glasses have to work with. If the display bleeds horribly far into the next frame, then good glasses can only do so much.

Beyond that the statistics that matter are:

1) How much light do the glasses block when fully closed, and do they block all colors evenly
2) How long do the glasses take to fully close and open
3) Do the glasses support a duty cycle.
4) Can you adjust the duty cycle/phase either from the glasses (maybe the X104s will have this) or through a companion emitter (so far, only the Bitcauldron/Zigbee based IR-to-RF units from Monster or VesaSync-to-RF units from other vendors -- you cannot buy direct from BitCauldron apparently.)

But good luck getting any information on 1) 2) or 3) out of the vendors, and I have not seen any consumer reviews that actually measure these things with any degree of professionalism.

Not every brand of glasses that claim to support your Panasonic will even support a duty cycle, even though the Panasonic IR protocol does support duty cycle. Some will just fake it. Heck, not every pair of glasses that claim to support your Panasonic will ven sync to your particular set.

Nor is it a safe assumption that the Panasonic will send the right duty cycle out. It's not even a safe assumption that a TV will continue to send the right IR signal after a firmware upgrade, as we saw with Samsung. You can't even really assume safely that the glasses recommended and sold by your TV set manufacturer are truly optimized to your set.

I would recommend the BitCauldron stuff just based on being able to tune it yourself, but I cannot, because I do not know the quality of the lenses/response time and have not been able to try a set out myself.

Now theoretically, if the lenses perform well and if you can adjust the duty cycle and phase, you should be able to find a clean strip of image inside each frame, but if the size of the clean strip is too small, you'll have to crank the set up really hard because the glasses will be pretty black, and you might start to notice flicker. At least you'll have the choice to make that trade-off, however.

In short it's a treacherous marketplace right now, so only buy from vendors with a liberal return policy, and expect to spend some time finding the right model for your set.
post #10 of 31 Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

zkidz - wow, thanks for the detailed post!
post #11 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:

This was just posted on Gizmodo:

I find it kind of hard to believe that the passive lenses have less ghosting than properly tuned active shutter glasses. Probably the glasses were poorly tuned. Most are.

Basically if your TV is at eye level and you don't want to mess with tech too much, and you're going to be buying a lot of glasses, you could do a whole lot worse than buying a passive technology set, however.
post #13 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Not a single mention of DLP in the entire Gizmodo article.
post #14 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This was just posted on Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/5837907/the-best-...assive-glasses

The article is obviously biased. They make claims of objectivity up front, and then describe active using subjective words like "annoying and tiring".

They go on to say
Quote:
Under the right circumstances most people can sense flicker at 60 Hz or even above. CRTs were well known sources of 60 Hz flicker - as a result a significant portion of the population may be susceptible to flicker from Active Shutter Glasses.

"Under the right circumstances", and "may be" is not really scientific, and I don't recall flicker being a problem with CRTs.

They go on to discuss crosstalk and ghosting as if it is the fault of the glasses, while using two active 3DTV brands reported to be prone to ghosting, and didn't test a DLP, which is king when it comes to ghosting.

They are a calibration site, yet didn't calibrate the TVs.

I could quote many passages that are obviously biased, but any critical and impartial reader should be able to see through the pseudo-scientific methods and explanations they used to push passive, even claiming 1080P resolution. Unfortunate, really.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #15 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I was hoping to find ones with bigger lenses, that were as high quality as possible. I found new ones that are supposed to be released soon. They claim to have the fastest shutter speed and certainly look like they'll cover more of my eye when viewing.

http://www.xpand.me/products/youniversal-3d-glasses/

The Xpand 3DG-X103 are out and will work with the new 2011 Mitsubishi DLP and are part of that new Panasonic standard that is coming out. They fit over glasses and supposedly have bigger lenses, plus they have had great reviews.

The new standard for 2011+ is called the M-3D1 standard. This means that all 3D glasses meeting this requirement will work on any 3D TV.

If I understand it correctly, the XPand 3DG-X103 are compliant with the M-3D1 standard, anyone confirm this?
post #16 of 31 Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB0801 View Post

Panasonic is coming out with a new model of glasses....They are supposed to be superior to the previous models in every aspect.

Thanks. I'm about to buy a Panasonic 65VT30 but have heard that the current version will not produce a 3D image if you are sitting more than 12 feet from the screen, (Amazon review). My couch is 14' away.

Does anyone know if A) this is true and/or B) if the new glasses will resolve this issue?
post #17 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe2 View Post

Thanks. I'm about to buy a Panasonic 65VT30 but have heard that the current version will not produce a 3D image if you are sitting more than 12 feet from the screen, (Amazon review). My couch is 14' away.

Does anyone know if A) this is true and/or B) if the new glasses will resolve this issue?

That seems awfully far away for a 65". You should find a way to move closer, or get a bigger TV.

post #18 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

That seems awfully far away for a 65". You should find a way to move closer, or get a bigger TV.

Thanks Augerhandle. I'll see if I can move the couch closer to the viewing wall. It's the first space I've ever tried to set up...lots to learn.
post #19 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe2 View Post

I have the vt30 65" and the new glasses...I tried the glasses frm about 20 feet and they were fine....I sit approx 12ft frm the set...and DNice ..after calibrating my 60 inch Pio elite(which I had to replace)said the viewing distant from the 60 Pio was fine....sio.Iwill assume the 65 inch at that distance is fine as well.in any case.the pic is dynamite
post #20 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Recommended viewing distance from a 65" display is:

2D > 8 ft 10 in

3D > 6 ft 07 in

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...-distance.html

http://www.best-3dtvs.com/guides/bes...wing-distance/

post #21 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Recomended viewing distant is unto the eyes of the viewer..period..I am a senior....and my eyes percieve images different from a younger viewer..
All tv images vary from manufacturer to manufacturer...
I love hush puppy shoes.....the comfort level is perfect for me....ergo,should you wear them based on how they perform for me?
post #22 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

Recomended viewing distant is unto the eyes of the viewer..period..I am a senior....and my eyes percieve images different from a younger viewer..
All tv images vary from manufacturer to manufacturer...
I love hush puppy shoes.....the comfort level is perfect for me....ergo,should you wear them based on how they perform for me?

Okay, then.. .

The distances mentioned were recommended by the authors of the articles, not someone's grandfather. It is all based on scientific principles, which are explained in the articles, if one cares to read them.

I will agree that a Hush Puppy shod Grandpa would probably recommend something different.

post #23 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

So,smart young whippersnapper.....does this mean all of our eyes,regardless of age,see the same exact image at the same exact time? And would you really use the recommended "scientific" settings even if the picture you were watching was not to your liking?
And I accept the term Grandpa from people I respect...that obviously leaves you and your ssientificially recommended crap in the toilet..
post #24 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So,smart young whippersnapper.....does this mean all of our eyes,regardless of age,see the same exact image at the same exact time? And would you really use the recommended "scientific" settings even if the picture you were watching was not to your liking?
And I accept the term Grandpa from people I respect...that obviously leaves you and your ssientificially recommended crap in the toilet..

You started this with the "mad" face, grandpa. No disrespect was intended, as I have 5 grandchildren myself. Just making my point clear.

After all, recommended settings are, "recommendations". As stated in the articles, one can adjust to suit themselves.

You may recommend Hush Puppys, but as you stated, that doesn't mean I have to wear them. The article makes recommendations, and gives reasons why. One can watch anaglyph 3D at thirty feet, for all I care.

Should people read the articles, or listen to one of us grandpas? I think the choice is up to them.

post #25 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Thank you both for your input. This is very new for me and I find both the real world anecdotal evidence and the more measured evidence useful in helping me understand what I should do to gain a better viewing experience. The simple idea that I should not be 14' away from a 65" monitor was one I hadn't considered. As they say, you don't know what you don't know.

I was also glad to hear that someone had tried the gen 3 version of the Panasonic 3D glasses and found them useful beyond 12'. I've read several good reviews. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
post #26 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

My apologies,I had not known the "mad face" face was attached to my post...
I can understand your wanting to go to war!
I guess what I find most annoying is the fact that some people will elect to use recommendations in any field,with blind faith,even though it may be evident to them,that all is not as it should be...
As for the "mad face"...just proof that I m living proof of a mind being a terrible thing to waste!
post #27 of 31 Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My apologies,I had not known the "mad face" face was attached to my post...
I can understand your wanting to go to war!
I guess what I find most annoying is the fact that some people will elect to use recommendations in any field,with blind faith,even though it may be evident to them,that all is not as it should be...
As for the "mad face"...just proof that I m living proof of a mind being a terrible thing to waste!

Don't sweat it, it was all in good fun.

post #28 of 31 Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Attachment 222404

Just go these great 3D active shutter glasses for my panasonic 3D plasma..must say they are great, cheap but they add this yellow tint to the image that bothers me a bit..but now all my family members can enjoy a movie night without having to share the one pair we had initially woohoo!!
LL
post #29 of 31 Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Recommended viewing distance from a 65" display is:

2D > 8 ft 10 in

3D > 6 ft 07 in

http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...-distance.html

http://www.best-3dtvs.com/guides/bes...wing-distance/

Interestingly, the recommended 3D distance for a 92" is 9 ft 04 in. I ran across this post from the owner of a 92" Mitsubishi in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Nacht View Post

[snip]...I also decided to leave my seating at 9'. So immersive, especially with 3D.

V

post #30 of 31 Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Interestingly, the recommended 3D distance for a 92" is 9 ft 04 in. I ran across this post from the owner of a 92" Mitsubishi in another thread:

That's pretty insanely close distances. I sit about 10 feet away from my 73" and sometimes that seems to be too close for comfort. Who issues these recommendations? I wonder if it is a ploy to get us all to buy 92" sets?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page