Best 3D format for computer files! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray Player with network capability. As long as I have the proper file format on a movie file, I can play it through the player as long as the file is MKV or MP4 file types, and they must be within the Windows 7 operating system environment. The files are not recognized when using Windows Vista. Now for the BIG QUESTION!

If I wanted to play a 3D movie and view it with the Panasonic Active Shutter glasses, is there a special 3D format that Panasonic will accept. There are movie files that are listed as "half SBS", "full HD SBS", DTS, etc. It is all so very confusing to understand. I just need to know which type of 3D movie format I need so it will display perfectly on the Panasonic HD 3D Plasma TV that I also have. AVATAR looks absolutely stunning on the TV, and the 3D effect is something to behold. I am praying I can also play 3D movies from my laptop without having to burn onto expensive 50 GB Blu-Ray disks.

HELP! THANKS!

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
For quality wise, nothing beat the original ISO. I had view half-SBS format but I feel it is less sharp and sometimes a little bit blocky. Also, don't get post conversion 3D movie. So far most of it do not have impressive 3D effect. Thor 3D is not really good as I feel the whole movie is less sharp compare to 2D version. Final Destination 4 3D is very good and the effect does bring the movie to the next level.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Is there any recommended software that converts a Blu-Ray 3D DVD into a MKV or MP4 video format? I have tried the DVDFab and Pavtube applications. I have not been able to produce any MKV or MP4 outputs that are recognized by my Panasonic Blu-Ray player.

I have since learned that my system will support Full HD, Checkerboard, and Side-By-Side 3D formats. So if there is a software converter package that handles those 3D outputs, I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 AM

Its really a great post...Thanks for sharing it
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 PM

As for the movie formats you see, you should be able to use most of them, with the exception of Full HD SBS as this is typically only supported by PC. I find that the most common format I come across is half SBS MKV, and most of these play just fine, though every once in awhile I come across one that has a weird aspect ratio and my Samsung won't accept it without going in and messing with the crop settings before remuxing.

For playback of 3D files from your laptop, assuming that it has reasonable system specs (I'm guessing it does if you have an internal bluray burner) you should be able to hook it directly to your tv via HDMI and play most of these file formats using a software player like Stereoscopic Player.

As for ripping a 3DBR to MKV I have always used 3D ripper in DVDFab with good results, so I'm not sure what the problem here is. Sorry I can't be more help.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry to say that my 48 hour converting a Blu-Ray 3D movie to a SBS "interlaced" MP4 file format did complete successfully, but the MP4 file did not play through my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. MKV and MP4 files are supposed to through this player. SO,

If I am able to get a half SBS 3D movie file, what would be the desired parameters that I should select for the output MKV file through DVDFab 3D Ripper. I really would like to get this program to work since I chose to buy it. It appears it is the only program that is supposed to retain the 3D characteristics in the compressed file format.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply 3D Tech Talk