Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 130 Old 11-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post

How does the xpand x103 or x104 compare to dlp-link glasses. I'm pulling the trigger this weekend on some glasses. I tried to order the Ultra-clear dlps and could not get the order to go through.

as the X104's are not yet out officially we don't know yet :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 130 Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 PM

TrueDepth and Ultraclear were both out of stock(dlp-link). I'm totally frustrated. Will the Sonys in the "Alice in wonderland" bundle work, since they include an emitter?
post #63 of 130 Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM

How do these compare with the Ultra Clear DLP links?
post #64 of 130 Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post

TrueDepth and Ultraclear were both out of stock(dlp-link). I'm totally frustrated. Will the Sonys in the "Alice in wonderland" bundle work, since they include an emitter?

Most likey no. Sony seems to use a special connector for thier emitter that is not the VESA standard. Most other manufacturers use the VESA standard connector for the emitter.
post #65 of 130 Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM

I'm having a hard time figuring out the pluses and minuses of DLP link vs. IR. Lots of conflicting information out there.

Especially since Augerhandle mentions that the $50 IR ultraclear rechargeables are the same glasses as the $70 true depth dlp link.

I've got the mitsubishi 60738, which supposedly can handle 3d with a firmware update. My viewing room does not have a lot of outside light, it's in a half-basement and the shades are good.

Anyone have a pointer to a good plus/minus document?
post #66 of 130 Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpritts View Post

I'm having a hard time figuring out the pluses and minuses of DLP link vs. IR. Lots of conflicting information out there.

Especially since Augerhandle mentions that the $50 IR ultraclear rechargeables are the same glasses as the $70 true depth dlp link.

I've got the mitsubishi 60738, which supposedly can handle 3d with a firmware update. My viewing room does not have a lot of outside light, it's in a half-basement and the shades are good.

Anyone have a pointer to a good plus/minus document?

The $50 IR Ultraclears are not the same as the $70 True Depths. They may use the same frame and look the same, but the tech is different. Basically Pre-2010 DLP TV's need DLP-Link Glasses, and 2010+ DLP TV's can use either.

The reason you can ONLY use DLP-Link Glasses with Pre-2010 DLP's is because the TV's that were made in 07-09 do not have the option to turn the DLP-Link off, and the DLP-Link causes a white flash that give the viewing through IR glasses a very washed out look with very poor blacks. I know this first hand, the picture was unwatchable. However, they work perfectly with DLP-Link Glasses.

2010+ DLP Televisions have the option to turn off the DLP-Link, so you can use IR or DLP-Link. Just know that you cannot use both at the same time, so pick one. I can tell you that both technologies work very well.

You might have some more options with IR. If you decide to go the DLP-Link route, there are ONLY TWO OPTIONS: the Rechargeable True Depth DLP-Link Glasses, or the Optoma ZD201 Glasses. You can get the True Depth's off Amazon, and the Optoma's you can get off Ebay or Expansys-USA.

I'm not 100% sure about your TV, but I believe you have a 2010 model. Just to make sure, go to your menu, and check under the 3D menu if you have the option to turn off DLP-Link. If you don't have the option to turn it off, then remember, you can ONLY use DLP-Link in that option.
post #67 of 130 Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The facts in the previous post are correct, but if you want to go DLP there is no reason to not try out UltraClear DLP glasses. They cost so much less then Optoma ZD201s and True Depth that they are a great bargain pair of glasses. Not everyone wants to spend $75-125 for glasses when the UC ones are great at around $50.
post #68 of 130 Old 11-21-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Nickels is right, the Ultra Clears are more affordable and they work very well. Visually they're right on par with the 2 that I mentioned. I just found them to have very loose/flimsy arms that don't fit well on anyone with a smaller head. I have a big head and found them a little loose, and also, they do not have a rubber nose piece, so they tend to be a bit heavy on the nose. However, it's not a complaint I heard from a lot of people (just me mostly), so they might be worth a gamble for you
post #69 of 130 Old 11-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks all for the summary. That really helps a lot.

Just spent a bunch more time reading and was reminded of one other issue. The rainbows from DLP link glasses. I don't really have a decent understanding of this; it seems like it isn't related to the non-3d rainbow effect (which I do see from time to time).
post #70 of 130 Old 11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpritts View Post

Thanks all for the summary. That really helps a lot.

Just spent a bunch more time reading and was reminded of one other issue. The rainbows from DLP link glasses. I don't really have a decent understanding of this; it seems like it isn't related to the non-3d rainbow effect (which I do see from time to time).

For my set, the rainbow in question is a result of looking at a polarized screen through polarized 3D glasses. The rainbow doesn't move. It is always in the same spot - it is a colored band that goes up the right side of the screen. If you tilt your head 45 degrees to the side it disappears, so this is an issue that could have been fixed by rotating the lenses properly. My set is LED DLP so there is no color wheel with no non-3D rainbow effect which is a different issue.

Check out the thread I started on solving this problem with a layer of clear film. It works well to eliminate this problem if you have it with your DLP link glasses.
post #71 of 130 Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Check out the thread I started on solving this problem with a layer of clear film. It works well to eliminate this problem if you have it with your DLP link glasses.

I saw the thread with the solution but couldn't figure out what the problem was, specifically.

I do see the non-3d-related rainbows on my Mitsubishi set from time to time, typically in dark scenes. It was quite a bummer when I first got the set, I watched the matrix and blade runner back to back and saw rainbows every couple minutes. I probably couldn't have picked two darker movies

Will mull over and either get the true depth or ultra clears.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. Really helps a lot.
post #72 of 130 Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoBlue View Post

I received 4 of the True Depth rechargeable DLP Link glasses. I tried using them after charging today with my new Optoma HD33 projector. I was trying to watch a 3D blu ray with PS3. I can't seem to get the glasses to function properly. I turn them on, and the blue light flashes every few seconds seeming to indicate they should be working, but the image on the projector remains blurry. I don't see the lenses flickering at all, but I've never used 3d glasses before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I have the projector set to the DLP Link setting. I've tried with 2 of the 4 glasses, and had no luck. Do these glasses work with this 3D projector? I did not see anything in the listing to indicate they wouldn't, as it is a 3D DLP projector. Am I missing something on how to use them properly? I read that the HD33 uses red-flash instead of white-flash for the DLP link sync. Could that be the issue? I've emailed the store but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else been able to get these to work with an Optoma HD33 projector?
Thanks,
Alan

I also have the HD 33. Have you had any success getting these to work properly as of yet; thank you
post #73 of 130 Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

I also have the HD 33. Have you had any success getting these to work properly as of yet; thank you

the truedepths are hit or miss with the hd33. Distributor has contacted mfg to address the problem. I sent mine back.
post #74 of 130 Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiitaco View Post

the truedepths are hit or miss with the hd33. Distributor has contacted mfg to address the problem. I sent mine back.

Thank you.
post #75 of 130 Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Ok.....so I received the Mit 3D adapter and the TrueDepth 3D glasses today. It appears to be basically working well. I have the 65737 Mit model. My question involves what I need to do in the Mit Menu? Do I choose Standard or Reverse mode? Also, does the button on the TrueDepth glasses turn that on or just switch the left and right eye?

Also, on the Mit Adapter, that must stay on all the time if it has the main HDMI going into the TV, correct? It does appear you must hit the 3D mode "on" on the the Adapter to watch 3D and then turn it back off when switching back to 2D TV, correct? I thought I read where the adapter would pick up on there being a 3D signal, but I'm finding otherwise.

Thanks in advance.
post #76 of 130 Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The adaptor passes 2D signals through, there is no reason to turn it off. Normally you watch standard but in some cases you need to switch to reverse either through the TV or the glasses.
post #77 of 130 Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsound85 View Post

Ok.....so I received the Mit 3D adapter and the TrueDepth 3D glasses today. It appears to be basically working well. I have the 65737 Mit model. My question involves what I need to do in the Mit Menu? Do I choose Standard or Reverse mode? Also, does the button on the TrueDepth glasses turn that on or just switch the left and right eye?

Also, on the Mit Adapter, that must stay on all the time if it has the main HDMI going into the TV, correct? It does appear you must hit the 3D mode "on" on the the Adapter to watch 3D and then turn it back off when switching back to 2D TV, correct? I thought I read where the adapter would pick up on there being a 3D signal, but I'm finding otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

IF your 3D signal source sends HDMI 1.4a Compliant signals the adatper works automatically, just set it to 3D NORMAL. However if your source does not send HDMI 1.4a Compliant signals then you need to manually select the 3D mode. If the adatper is not working automatically, then your source siganl is not fully comopliant. A compliant signal has a special flag that tells the adater that the signal is 3D and what type of 3D format it is. A non-compliant siganl does not have that flag so the adatper cannot identify the signal as 3D.
post #78 of 130 Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

IF your 3D signal source sends HDMI 1.4a Compliant signals the adatper works automatically, just set it to 3D NORMAL. However if your source does not send HDMI 1.4a Compliant signals then you need to manually select the 3D mode. If the adatper is not working automatically, then your source siganl is not fully comopliant. A compliant signal has a special flag that tells the adater that the signal is 3D and what type of 3D format it is. A non-compliant siganl does not have that flag so the adatper cannot identify the signal as 3D.

Hmmm....the Comcast Digital DVR is the "source" and I channel that through my Denon Receiver (AVR 1912) that handles HDMI 1.4a. Not sure if the DVR sends the 1.4a or not....any idea? I have not tried the 3D on my Pannie BluRay yet.
post #79 of 130 Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WACO View Post

If you decide to go the DLP-Link route, there are ONLY TWO OPTIONS: the Rechargeable True Depth DLP-Link Glasses, or the Optoma ZD201 Glasses. You can get the True Depth's off Amazon, and the Optoma's you can get off Ebay or Expansys-USA.

Can't find anyone with the True Depth DLPs in stock?!?! Have they pulled all items because of this http://truedepth3d.com/?p=75 ?
The ZD201's are only available from China on Ebay and over $100 on Expansys. It seems the Ultra Clear's or VIP 3Ds from consignia.ca are my only options any advice?

Derek
post #80 of 130 Old 12-19-2011, 12:01 PM

I just emailed their sales department from the website and they sold me 3 pairs directly.

You can find the email address in the comments here: http://truedepth3d.com/?p=27 They sent me an invoice through Paypal. The glasses were $69.99 per pair with free shipping.
post #81 of 130 Old 12-25-2011, 06:38 AM

Got a pair of the True Depth glasses and they work fine. It is my first time using any 3D glasses, so don't have anything to compare them to, but they certainly worked and the color looked great. I haven't watched a full length movie or an entire football game, but I think 3D might be giving me a headache. Anyone else have this problem?
post #82 of 130 Old 12-28-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACO View Post

Anyone who is wondering what DLP-Link glasses to get, trust the people on here who have gone through this same ordeal. There are only 2 good options. The Optoma ZD201's (the best), and the Rechargeable True Depth 3D's (very close 2nd). Anything else is a waste of time and money. If these glasses are not available right right now, I suggest you wait a week or two for them to show up again.

Do you know where you can get the optoma zd201s? They only place I see them is on a Amazon UK site. Anybody in US selling them?
post #83 of 130 Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM

The True Depths are back in stock and listed on Amazon.

I have been in touch with them over the past week, and their service is great. They pulled the old glasses and just this week released the updated ones. Apparently they now work with the projectors and have scratch resistant coating. I ordered two for my 73640, and I'm hoping to try out this 3D thing soon. Based on the reviews and the customer service, it seemed like a good place to start.

82 HD DVD and 230 Blu-ray so far with plenty of DVDs too
post #84 of 130 Old 01-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Got my True Depth's yesterday and wasn't really impressed.

I tried them out during the daytime and got a lot of reflection of a window behind me. Tried them again at pitch black in the room at night and was getting reflections off the shiny bezel around the lenzes on the front of the glasses.

Also, and this may be a dlp link vs IR problem on my tv, but the screen looked very washed out and no where near as sharp when using dlp link. Going to try some IR glasses if I can find some this weekend.

I was using a Mitsubishi wd-82738.
post #85 of 130 Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM

This week I ended up buying 5 pairs of the latest version of the TrueDepth Rechargeable DLP Link glasses on Waco's recommendation (wuz gonna see if I could find out where U live before I bought 'em, just in case.). Very pleased with the glasses watching content from DTV's 3D channels. I didn't notice any washed out colors, unless of course the source was somewhat washed out and there where a couple of those. The colors from IMAX's Under the Sea where clear and vibrant, no issues. I noticed a little glare coming from the rear of the glasses, but it was barely noticeable and I had to look for it. The glasses are reasonably light weight & pretty comfortable, last night I wore them for almost three hours and I'm a prescription glasses wearer too. When I would look away from the TV or get up to go in another room, I noticed the glasses would stop operating until I looked back at the screen and they would immediately sync back up. I also noticed when I was in the kitchen last night that if I looked at the TV though a big opening between the two rooms that the glasses would sync from almost 30 ft away without problems on my Mit 73640. Very pleased so far and Dann was a pleasure to deal with & shipped them quickly. Thanx Waco.
post #86 of 130 Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

On amazon the True Depth DLP Link glasses appear to only come in pairs. That is more than I need or want to spend. Are these available anywhere as only one set of glasses?

Found one pair on ebay for $80 with free shipping.
post #87 of 130 Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

On amazon the True Depth DLP Link glasses appear to only come in pairs. That is more than I need or want to spend. Are these available anywhere as only one set of glasses?

Found one pair on ebay for $80 with free shipping.

Contact Dann directly at sales@truedepth3d(dot)com and he should be able to help you. I bought mine direct from him and had them on Monday after paying for them on Friday. He's a good guy.
post #88 of 130 Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 PM

I ended up getting 2 pair of Viewsonics dlp glasses off "craigs" for $50 total. They pinch my head a little but the picture is brighter and clearer than the Xpand x102 blues. The Xpands are much more comfortable and were a "Craigs" bargin too. Anyone with xpand x104 experience?
post #89 of 130 Old 01-20-2012, 05:17 AM

just ordered 3 pairs, emailed Daniel directly. 3 pairs shipping to Canada was $225 much cheaper than buying through Amazon

I will update my comments when they arrive. So far the customer service from Daniel has been great .... also too mention that WACO in this thread has been more than helpful -- thanks WACO
post #90 of 130 Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM

1st gen rechargeable at discount since they have a new 2nd gen out (more compatibility and a scratch resistent lenses). I need to make up my mind what and how many

They have battery ones on close out are now GONE I snoozed and lost. LOL.

My Stuff:
Sam HL67A750 and Pan BDT-350 / HL61A750 and BDT-210
Viewsonic PGD-150 / IO system glasses & IR emitter / 3DTVcorp Gen2 emiter / x102 blue. *SSG1000
IR and DLP Link together :)
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page