post #91 of 130 Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by avshtpcbob View Post

They have battery ones on close out. 1st gen rechargeable at discount since they have a new 2nd gen out (more compatibility and a scratch resistent lenses). I need to make up my mind what and how many

Link? Where do you find these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 130 Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpritts View Post

I'm having a hard time figuring out the pluses and minuses of DLP link vs. IR. Lots of conflicting information out there.

Especially since Augerhandle mentions that the $50 IR ultraclear rechargeables are the same glasses as the $70 true depth dlp link.

I've got the mitsubishi 60738, which supposedly can handle 3d with a firmware update. My viewing room does not have a lot of outside light, it's in a half-basement and the shades are good.

Anyone have a pointer to a good plus/minus document?

I have both the Optoma DLP link and IR glasses for my Optoma HD33 projector.

While the IR version is more comfortable the DLP link glasses seem to offer a brighter picture.

I returned a pair of Ultra Clear HD DLP link glasses a few months ago because they showed some ghosting on certain scenes whereas the Otomas did not.

Don't think that these were the rechargeable version.
post #93 of 130 Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 10
Just received my 3 pairs of True Depth 3D DLP link rechargeable glasses
Shipping took 1.5 weeks to Canada but was packaged nicely. The glasses fit nice and are very light when compared to my Optoma ZD101's. I haven't watched any 3D content yet, hopefully tonight or tomorrow to compare them. But just looking through the lenses when powered on/off they appear clear, like the Optoma's. No green-ish tint like the 3D VIP or Ultra Clears (which makes the image seem washed out)
I'll report back when i have viewed some content, but so far 3 pairs of rechargeable dlp link glasses, with 3 soft casses, 3 cloths, 3 noise pieces each, 3 usb cables to charge and all for $220 including shipping to Canada seems like a good deal.

UPDATE:
The image is ok, definetly no tint or wshed out like the UltraClears or VIP glasses but the image is not as bright or crisp as the Optoma's. Definately a noticeable degraded image when directly compared to the Optoma's but better than the other 3rd party glasses out there
post #94 of 130 Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wanted to share my findings on these glasses for others...

I am a 73737 owner who has been using the 3DC adapter and Mits/Samsung IR glasses since they came out. This solution worked ok for me but I was always disappointed with the way the DLP-Link flash would tint the blacks to a teal/black color. This led to much less contrast, especially in dark scenes. Films like Imax's Space Station were largely unwatchable.

I picked up the two pack of the 3D True Depth DLP-Link glasses and they have totally corrected the issues with the blacks. i have great true blacks and darks on my set when watching 3D material for the first time ever.

My other goal was to still be able to use the 4 pairs of Mits/Samsung IR glasses I have at the same time if I needed to. Since my TV is older, it doesn't have an option to turn off DLP-Link, so I am able to use DLP-Link and IR at the same time. The phase invert ability of the True Depth DLP-Link glasses works great. I have to hit the button once to reverse the polarity but once I do that I can use these glasses and all my IR glasses at the same time.

Also of note, there had been reports of rainbows and tint angle problems with these glasses. the manufacturer reports they made improvements to these glasses since then and anyone who has purchased since mid December should have the newer versions which eliminate some (not all) of the rainbow effect (subjective anyway) and the tint angle issues.

I am very happy with these and I would definately buy again. If I had to call anything out as a negative it would only be the weight. they are a little bit heavier than what I was used to.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #95 of 130 Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Most likey no. Sony seems to use a special connector for thier emitter that is not the VESA standard. Most other manufacturers use the VESA standard connector for the emitter.

What? Sony uses a proprietary connector so they can nickel and dime you and opt out of paying any standardized royalties to anyone else. Nah, couldn't be Sony. They don't do those type of Apple tactics.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #96 of 130 Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

UPDATE:
The image is ok, definetly no tint or wshed out like the UltraClears or VIP glasses but the image is not as bright or crisp as the Optoma's. Definately a noticeable degraded image when directly compared to the Optoma's but better than the other 3rd party glasses out there

I want the best performing DLP glasses everything else is secondary. I just bought the Optoma's (haven't tried them yet waiting for the starter kit) and have been thinking I should have bought rechargeables but performance has to be the winner. I haven't read a review yet that claims better performance than the Optoma's. Any opinions on best overall performance?
post #97 of 130 Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have an acer 9500 3d projector. I have one pair of the included acer glasses, 2 pair of ultra clears, 2 pair of the newest tru depth glasses and 1 pair of the optomas. The optoma and acer glasses are equally great imo. The tru depth glasses are next and the ultra clears are a distant third. The optomas are a bit heavy but they look fantastic. much better than the tru depth glasses. I was expecting alot more from them by the great reviews.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #98 of 130 Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Are we talking about the Optoma ZD101 or the newer ZD201s? I hated the ZD101s big time. The Ultra Clears aren't that bad, but I haven't had anything better to compare them too yet.
post #99 of 130 Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

I am asking about best optical performance. i bought the 101 optomas recently from amazon and could exchange them if there is something better. don't think they had the 201's
post #100 of 130 Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 AM

"March Madness" Sale @ True Depth Website...2nd Gen=$59.99/Free Shipping.
post #101 of 130 Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL_BEAR1982 View Post

OK- I went to the site, added the glasses to my cart... now what? There is no way to get to the cart or check-out? Weird site.
http://truedepth3d.com/

Finally found it:
http://truedepth3d.com/store/shopping-cart/

Wow, never have I worked so hard to figure out how to check-out from a website before. Yikes.
post #102 of 130 Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Wow, never have I worked so hard to figure out how to check-out from a website before. Yikes.

LOL! Sorry, my bad. It was very late/early when I posted. Had the same problem; looked all over for that shopping cart icon...Finally found the shopping cart "banner" to click on...Strange web arrangement.

My order has already shipped USPS (2-3 day) with tracking number. Great service so far.
post #103 of 130 Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM

You can also get them from: 3dprostore.com

I initially had purchased just a pair of their rechargeable glasses, and they worked great. I also tried out couple of cheaper DLP-LINK rechargeable glasses,

- "Future Cinema Eagle 510": amazon.com/Future-Cinema-Eagle-510-Rechargeable/dp/B006JCG7K0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1331670162&sr=8-16

- "Excelvan DLP-LINK 3D Glasses": amazon.com/gp/product/B006WL350S/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

To my disappointment, the latter two models didn't really resolve the red tint emitted by my TV (Samsung DLP HL61A750), but lo and behold I stumble upon the March sale and thereby ending my search.

If you're in a similar situation like me (3d mode = red tint), I highly recommend the True Depth DLP-LINK rechargeable glasses. These totally convert the red tint to proper blacks, deliver excellent 3d picture quality, has a great battery life (rated at 50hrs?...have watched quite a few movies and no recharge needed yet), are surprisingly light, and look great.

PS: I guess I can't post URL just yet
post #104 of 130 Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

I am asking about best optical performance. i bought the 101 optomas recently from amazon and could exchange them if there is something better. don't think they had the 201's

Update: I have owned these glasses now for a few weeks and I am very happy with them. They might not be pretty but they do perform. Looks like the batteries may be hard to change when the time comes...
post #105 of 130 Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

@Virtuel - do these glasses create a visible rainbow? I know every other DLP Link glasses that I've used create a minor rainbow on the screen during bright scenes.
post #106 of 130 Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

@Virtuel - do these glasses create a visible rainbow? I know every other DLP Link glasses that I've used create a minor rainbow on the screen during bright scenes.

I do notice an occasional rainbow on the far right of the screen, although it's quite faint and forgettable. Besides that, you might notice reflections from the glasses under certain circumstances. These are rather minor quibbles, however, and I suppose are inherent flaws that comes with the territory. They certainly outperform other glasses I've tried, and they're evidently well received (having read reviews on here and at Amazon).
post #107 of 130 Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The rainbow is a flaw that should have been fixed by the manufacturer by now. Tilt your head like 45 degrees to the side, and I bet the rainbow disappears. Same issue with my Ultra Clear lenses.
post #108 of 130 Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered 5 pairs of the Gen 1 glasses.
post #109 of 130 Old 03-15-2012, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am HIGHLY AGAINST TRUE DEPTH 3D glasses. People say the Zd101's are too bulky. Really? You are not wearing them for more than an hour and half most of the time. The picture is still green tinted with the TD's unless you bob your head up or down looking across the top or bottom of the lenses.

Here is a link for comparison and User Emperical also did side by side 4 pages in and agreed with me. Best picture quality is the ZD101's.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1046

Pages 35 and 36 of the 73640 Thread have tests by both of us with Pictures.

And after Emperical did his testing:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1192

If you wanna settle for lesser PQ (which seems a whole lot of you are doing or you wouldn't buy these glasses) then so be it. But the difference is jaw dropping in clarity, crispness, and brightness.

Now I have no clue why Optoma won't release the ZD201's state side for ppl with comfort issues but the 101's are still best PQ. The best movie for these test is Avatar with the night scenes with Neytiri at the beginning. TV is set to Bright in 3D mode.

Cool Beans.
post #110 of 130 Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you truly have not seen the others like Xpand, Ultra Clear, vs. 101's, trust me, you are missing out. Don't go cheap and lower your PQ because of a "deal".

Cool Beans.
post #111 of 130 Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah the zd 101s amaze me. The colors are amazing and bright.
post #112 of 130 Old 03-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Yeah the zd 101s amaze me. The colors are amazing and bright.

I could live with the poor ergonomics of the 101's if it wasn't for the terrible rainbow effects that stream all down my set on bright scenes. My gen 1 TrueDepths exhibit no such rainbows. I would love to know if they fixed the lens angle on the 201's.
post #113 of 130 Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I am shocked by all the love for the ZD 101s - I consider them some of the worst pieces of crap I ever had the misfortune of using. They seem like junk designed back in the 1980s. Yuck
post #114 of 130 Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkblaze View Post

I could live with the poor ergonomics of the 101's if it wasn't for the terrible rainbow effects that stream all down my set on bright scenes. My gen 1 TrueDepths exhibit no such rainbows. I would love to know if they fixed the lens angle on the 201's.

What set do you have? I have not seen any rainbows, and I have been looking for them. I thought the rainbows were with the ir glasses? I have a 73835 diamond btw.
post #115 of 130 Old 03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

I am shocked by all the love for the ZD 101s - I consider them some of the worst pieces of crap I ever had the misfortune of using. They seem like junk designed back in the 1980s. Yuck

Function trumps form. But yeah, I ended up buying one pair of 201s, since everyone seems to think the Optomas are so great. I ended up buying 6 pairs of the VIPs because of the price initially, but I'm regretting it as I received my 201 and, although I haven't watched 3D yet with them (pj is in for a firmware update), they are better than the VIPs for the following reasons:

1. No green tint - they definitely look like they let through more light
2. Build quality - they feel like they're wrapped in a rubbery material and they fold just like regular glasses. Solid. They also have a little "visor" on the inside of the top part of the glasses to reduce light/glare. The on/off button is easy to press and not so small that I need a microscope to find it.
3. Lenses - the VIPs, when holding them up to the light, look like they have hundreds of minute scratches/pits in the lenses. It seems to not be noticeable once they are on, but the Optomas are crystal clear when off. And no, it's not just on one pair - I checked every single pair and it's the same on all of them.

The only con for the Optomas is the price. At the end of the day, though, it kinda works out for me as I'm the one that watches 3D 95% of the time. The odd time I'll have friends over and watch a flick. They think it looks great and aren't as anal retentive as me. I can't see spending money to buy 6 Optomas anyway, so again I think it has worked out fine. Looking forward to trying the Optomas out and will post back ASAP.

post #116 of 130 Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:

What set do you have? I have not seen any rainbows, and I have been looking for them. I thought the rainbows were with the ir glasses? I have a 73835 diamond btw.

I have the 73-C9, it's a 2009 model. The rainbows are a polarization effect that seems to be caused by distortions in the screen. My screen has quite a few waves in it. It kind of looks like an oil slick running down the screen in several areas (but you only notice it during bright scenes). Perhaps your model had better build quality with a more uniform screen. The rainbows can be eliminated or reduced with properly rotated lenses (afaik).
post #117 of 130 Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Function trumps form. But yeah, I ended up buying one pair of 201s,

How do you like the 201s?
post #118 of 130 Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:

How do you like the 201s?

Hey "swak"

I can't answer for "Blaster", but I have been testing all three...True Depth/Optoma 101's/201's. 201's are by far the best of the three and make for an enjoyable two hours. Extremely comfortable, you forget you have them on...Unless you turn or move away from the set, then they will reset themselves, no biggie. I would say these are absolutely worth the money.

I have to call a tie between the True Depth and 101's. I do notice a touch of green at the bottom of the sreen if my head is in a certain position with the TD's. If I adjust them so that the arms on the glasses are slightly tilted above my ear, it goes away. The 101's did not exhibit any green hue, but definetly not as clear a pixture as the 201's. And they are very uncomfortable for me. I could not wear them for the whole movie, also gave me a bit of a headache...absent with the TD's and the 201's. The TD's and 101's will be great for the kids and their friends (won't worry about breakage)...I'll pick up another pair of 201's for the wife and we are set.

I'm sure these 3d Glasses are like all our techy gear YMMV...LOL! IMHO, if you want the "best" go for the 201's and don't look back. I ordered through expansys/usa...arrived in exactly seven days.

Good luck with your search and enjoy some 3d!!
post #119 of 130 Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey "swak"

I can't answer for "Blaster", but I have been testing all three...True Depth/Optoma 101's/201's. 201's are by far the best of the three and make for an enjoyable two hours. Extremely comfortable, you forget you have them on...Unless you turn or move away from the set, then they will reset themselves, no biggie. I would say these are absolutely worth the money.

I have to call a tie between the True Depth and 101's. I do notice a touch of green at the bottom of the sreen if my head is in a certain position with the TD's. If I adjust them so that the arms on the glasses are slightly tilted above my ear, it goes away. The 101's did not exhibit any green hue, but definetly not as clear a pixture as the 201's. And they are very uncomfortable for me. I could not wear them for the whole movie, also gave me a bit of a headache...absent with the TD's and the 201's. The TD's and 101's will be great for the kids and their friends (won't worry about breakage)...I'll pick up another pair of 201's for the wife and we are set.

I'm sure these 3d Glasses are like all our techy gear YMMV...LOL! IMHO, if you want the "best" go for the 201's and don't look back. I ordered through expansys/usa...arrived in exactly seven days.

Good luck with your search and enjoy some 3d!!

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking about ordering a pair today. I wonder why these aren't sold in the US?
post #120 of 130 Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Sorry I haven't checked this thread in a bit, but I just got my projector back and the 201s are fantastic! The picture is so clear and sharp and definitely not washed out like the VIP/Ultraclears. My only gripe (which is really not a big deal) is that they lose sync the instant you turn your head away. The good part is they sync right back up the instant you turn your head towards the screen as well. Great build quality on these things - they don't feel all plastic-y like the other ones.

I also ordered through expansys/USA and they came very fast considering I'm in Canada.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page