Finally found the perfect DLP Link Glasses! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 130 Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been a long journey for me, I went through the Xpand's, Optoma's, and the Battery Powered True Depth DLP Link glasses before finally settling on the new Rechargeable True Depth 3D DLP LINK Glasses. The Xpand's didn't work for me because I have a 2009 model, so the white dlp link flash messed up the whole image, the Optoma ZD101's worked great but were just waaay too big and uncomfortable and poorly designed. Then I tried the True depth 3D battery powered ones, and they were great, got rid of that tight squeezing feeling of the Optoma's, and the optics were great, but the lack of a rubber nose piece in addition to the arms being too lose and sliding off, made them a no-no for me ultimately. Finally I saw the new Rechargeable True Depth 3D's and can finally say that my search is over. These glasses have everything that every other pair lacked. First and most importantly, the optics are great. The picture is just as good as any other pair. They have foldable rubber arms that fit snug on your head without causing any pain, they have interchangeable rubber nose pieces, so no sliding off your face, they have a sync button on top that also activates reverse sync (saves you time), they come with a microfiber pouch and cleaning cloth, they are comfortable, lightweight and one of the more stylish pairs out there also. The fact that they're rechargeable is really nice too I have to say. You get around 70 hrs per charge, so there's no reason to prefer the battery operated ones.

All in all, there are finally enough DLP LINK glasses out there to give you some good options, but I've found the ones I'm sticking with. I'm quite relieved too, I was thinking for a bit that I might just end up selling my Mitsubishi WD-60C9 DLP TV just because there weren't any good DLP Link glasses options out there, but now I will probably end up using this TV for atleast 5 more years. I can honestly say, with my 60" DLP, 3D Glasses, and Yamaha YSP-900 Soundbar that I am 100% satisfied with my Home Theater System and can just sit back and relax now. Time to find other things to spend my money on now.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Depth-3D-...8623115&sr=8-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
http://www.3dglassesunlimited.com/lg...833d743cdb4a0c
post #3 of 130 Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'd love to try them on my set to see if they solve these issues that I've seen with almost every pair of glasses I've used:

Black blacks (no red tint from DLP link)
Polarization rainbow - glasses polarization angle + tv screen = rainbow on right side of TV
Color shifting - if you swivel your head do the colors on the screen change from cool to warm?
Sync in daylight - how do these glasses work in the day?
Sync reversal - can you switch the shutter L/R order (for mixing with IR glasses) ?
Comfort/Weight/Durability
How do they fit on kids small faces?

I set for around $70 isn't bad. I guess I will put these on my short list of glasses to try out.
post #4 of 130 Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

I'd love to try them on my set to see if they solve these issues that I've seen with almost every pair of glasses I've used:

Black blacks (no red tint from DLP link)
Polarization rainbow - glasses polarization angle + tv screen = rainbow on right side of TV
Color shifting - if you swivel your head do the colors on the screen change from cool to warm?
Sync in daylight - how do these glasses work in the day?
Sync reversal - can you switch the shutter L/R order (for mixing with IR glasses) ?
Comfort/Weight/Durability
How do they fit on kids small faces?

I set for around $70 isn't bad. I guess I will put these on my short list of glasses to try out.

You'll be happy with these I'm pretty sure. I've tested a lot of glasses, but only on my 60" Mitsubishi DLP, so I can't say for sure that all DLP televisions/projectors are created equally, but I don't think there will be any major differences.

-Blacks are Black, no green or red tint. I only experienced that when I bought a pair of Xpand X103 which use the IR system and are not DLP Link though. I didn't know that pre 2010 models do not have the option to shut off the dlp link, so dlp-link glasses are my only option.

-I've played a lot of games and watched a few movies and never noticed any rainbow effects or color shifting, and I did tilt my head on purpose to test this out.

-I have a fair amount of ambient light in my living room during the day (even with the blinds shut), and the only thing I noticed was that it took a few seconds longer to initially sync, but once synced, they were perfectly and never lost sync once.

-These do have the sync reverse button (power button), you press it once to turn them on, twice to reverse, and hold it down to turn them off. Works very nicely.

-These are easily the most comfortable and durable glasses I've tried so far, which is the main reason I decided to stick with these. The lenses are the same size as the others, but they seem to have trimmed off absolutely every bit of unnecessary fat. No extra plastic anywhere and the arms are foldable and made of a very strong semi-soft/hard rubber that bend but aren't flimsy, so they will hold tight on the side of your heads, but also don't hurt you. Perfect balance. My sister is petite, and all the other glasses fell off her head like they were designed for a giant, and with these, they fit her perfectly. On the other hand, I have a very big head, but they still fit perfectly, so they really figured out the best way to balance the design. Also another big plus is that they have the rubber nose piece (3 different sizes), so they don't slip off your face if you sweat a little bit (like the older models). As far as weight is concerned, they aren't as light as a normal pair of glasses, but definitely not heavy by any means, just what you would expect. They feel very well built, not like a cheap piece of plastic.

I would definitely recommend them. It took me 2 very frustrating months to finally find the right set for me, so I know what a big chore it is to find something that meets all your expectations. Good Luck!
post #5 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got a pair last night. I agree with WACO.
No more red blacks on my 4 year old Samsung DLP.
Also the lenses are more neutral color than my Ultra Clear IR glasses which have a
slight greenish-yellow tint.
Color is more accurate and contrast seems higher, perhaps because of the non-red blacks.
I tested them with both 3d Blu Ray from my Panny checkerboard output and some old HQFS dvd's played through Wimmer's Stereoscopic Player.
They sync nicely with the room lights on but I don't watch 3d with lights on. When I moved close to the screen some times they would not sync, but a wave of my hand across the glasses solved that.
The one problem is the frames are high gloss plastic and light from the screen reflects into you eyes. I am going to paint the area with a flat black plastic paint or use black cloth tape.
Overall these are the best active glasses I have tried. The worst were Xpand 102's, next was 3dtv's IR, Ultraclear IR, now these.
post #6 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Forgetting the reflections for a minute, have they solved a color shift issue that I have had with the Ultraclear DLP's? While rotating your head up and down watching a 3D program resulted in a slight color shift to and from a green tint while looking through the tops of the lenses to a warmer tone toward the center and bottom of the lenses. Have you noticed this issue on the rechargeable
Tru Depth glasses? This may sound trivia but after you discover it you are more aware of the problem and you look at it as a distraction.
post #7 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 View Post

Forgetting the reflections for a minute, have they solved a color shift issue that I have had with the Ultraclear DLP's? While rotating your head up and down watching a 3D program resulted in a slight color shift to and from a green tint while looking through the tops of the lenses to a warmer tone toward the center and bottom of the lenses. Have you noticed this issue on the rechargeable
Tru Depth glasses? This may sound trivia but after you discover it you are more aware of the problem and you look at it as a distraction.

I have not noticed any color shifting no, and usually I'm pretty nit picky with things like that. The whole image seems very stable and consistent
post #8 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM

I just tried it, and no color shift, up, down, sise to side and rotating. This was done on my 2007 Samsung RP DLP
With my Ultraclear IR glasses if I hold them out in front of my face about 12 inches then tilt them as if I were tilting my head up and down, there is a definite color shift. As I tilt up the right lens gets yellower, as I tilt down the left lens gets yellower. There is no shift with the True Depth glasses. This may be due to the fact that they are nearly a neutral gray instead of having a greenish yellow tint. There is also no darkening of the image as they were tilted.
post #9 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

tucsondave - notice any DLP rainbows with your set and these glasses? You should it pretty clearly with your Ultra Clear glasses (oh, you have IR and not DLP so maybe not).
post #10 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM

Are these the same as the ones below that 3dtvcorp sells ? The side picture & explanation look very close.

I've a thread on these - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1363408

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #11 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

Are these the same as the ones below that 3dtvcorp sells ? The side picture & explanation look very close.

I've a thread on these - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1363408

I can only assume that since the older 3dtv corp glasses are the same as the older true depth and ultra clear glasses, that these new ones would also share the same technology. I'm pretty sure this is the case since they're both now rechargeable. However it appears that they went with their own cosmetic design, but from what I can see, they look pretty cheaply constructed. The optics are probably the same, but I think they definitely cut some corners with that plastic. I would go with the True Depth 3D's, they are very nicely built
post #12 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACO View Post

The optics are probably the same, but I think they definitely cut some corners with that plastic. I would go with the True Depth 3D's, they are very nicely built

If you have an HTPC setup, can you try SBS from a HTPC with your glasses ? I'm having flickering issues with my glasses - wonder if it is a Optoma problem or the problem with glasses.

Also, can you post some more images of the True Depth glasses - from different angles. Thx.

Enjoying Nissan Leaf as the primary car for over 6 months : MyNissanLeaf.com
post #13 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

If you have an HTPC setup, can you try SBS from a HTPC with your glasses ? I'm having flickering issues with my glasses - wonder if it is a Optoma problem or the problem with glasses.

Also, can you post some more images of the True Depth glasses - from different angles. Thx.

I actually use a PS3 for my 3D. I've had no flickering issues whatsoever, both with the true depth 3d glasses or the optoma glasses. Might be a problem with glasses I'm guessing. DLP Link glasses should work the same with both projectors and televisions
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #14 of 130 Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

tucsondave - notice any DLP rainbows with your set and these glasses? You should it pretty clearly with your Ultra Clear glasses (oh, you have IR and not DLP so maybe not).

I have never seen the rainbow effect with or without any glasses I have used either field sequential DVD from a PC or 3d BD from my Panasonic. (e-dimensional, X-pand, 3dtv IR, Ultraclear IR, or TrueDepth DLP Link)

Note: The glasses are $60 from :http://3dprostore.com/Store.php?item...3D%20Blu%20ray
post #15 of 130 Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Can you take a photo on a piece of white paper for both True Depth and ZD201 side by side? I wish to check if the tint is similar between True Depth and ZD201. I'm going to let go UC DLP glasses.
post #16 of 130 Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

Can you take a photo on a piece of white paper for both True Depth and ZD201 side by side? I wish to check if the tint is similar between True Depth and ZD201. I'm going to let go UC DLP glasses.

First pic is with flash on, rest of pics are flash off
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #17 of 130 Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=rjyap;21107345]Can you take a photo on a piece of white paper for both True Depth and ZD201 side by side? I wish to check if the tint is similar between True Depth and ZD201. I'm going to let go UC DLP glasses.[

Here are some more better frontal pics of the lenses (flash on and off)
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #18 of 130 Old 10-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the photo. Both tint look quite similar and True Depth had a slightly lighter shade.
post #19 of 130 Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ya, they're pretty similar. ZD201 might be a little more dark, but that actually might result in a 5/10% increase in color vibrancy when viewing a 3D image. Overall both images are very similar though
post #20 of 130 Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 PM

I received 4 of the True Depth rechargeable DLP Link glasses. I tried using them after charging today with my new Optoma HD33 projector. I was trying to watch a 3D blu ray with PS3. I can't seem to get the glasses to function properly. I turn them on, and the blue light flashes every few seconds seeming to indicate they should be working, but the image on the projector remains blurry. I don't see the lenses flickering at all, but I've never used 3d glasses before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I have the projector set to the DLP Link setting. I've tried with 2 of the 4 glasses, and had no luck. Do these glasses work with this 3D projector? I did not see anything in the listing to indicate they wouldn't, as it is a 3D DLP projector. Am I missing something on how to use them properly? I read that the HD33 uses red-flash instead of white-flash for the DLP link sync. Could that be the issue? I've emailed the store but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else been able to get these to work with an Optoma HD33 projector?
Thanks,
Alan
post #21 of 130 Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoBlue View Post

I received 4 of the True Depth rechargeable DLP Link glasses. I tried using them after charging today with my new Optoma HD33 projector. I was trying to watch a 3D blu ray with PS3. I can't seem to get the glasses to function properly. I turn them on, and the blue light flashes every few seconds seeming to indicate they should be working, but the image on the projector remains blurry. I don't see the lenses flickering at all, but I've never used 3d glasses before, so I'm not sure what to expect. I have the projector set to the DLP Link setting. I've tried with 2 of the 4 glasses, and had no luck. Do these glasses work with this 3D projector? I did not see anything in the listing to indicate they wouldn't, as it is a 3D DLP projector. Am I missing something on how to use them properly? I read that the HD33 uses red-flash instead of white-flash for the DLP link sync. Could that be the issue? I've emailed the store but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else been able to get these to work with an Optoma HD33 projector?
Thanks,
Alan

I'm not familiar with Projectors, and I'm not sure about the red flash making a difference or not, maybe it could? Try waving your hand in front of the sensor on the glasses when trying to view the material. Do you have a reverse 3D setting on your projector? Other than turning your DLP Link setting on, do you also have to turn the 3D on maybe?
post #22 of 130 Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just received my Monstervision set yesterday (1st time using 3d) for my Samsung DLP, but it doesn't block the red tint from blacks. It ruins the picture in my opinion. Now I may give these a try and hope no trace of red is visible, otherwise no 3d for me with this TV. Can Samsung owners confirm?
post #23 of 130 Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

I just received my Monstervision set yesterday (1st time using 3d) for my Samsung DLP, but it doesn't block the red tint from blacks. It ruins the picture in my opinion. Now I may give these a try and hope no trace of red is visible, otherwise no 3d for me with this TV. Can Samsung owners confirm?

If you have a pre 2010 DLP television (Samsung and Mitsubishi's use same DLP tech), then you NEED DLP-Link glasses. I'm very confident they will work for you. I plan on keeping my 2009 DLP for atleast 5 more years now.
post #24 of 130 Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

To OP: I have a Mits 73837 display and the 3d-1000 converter kit with two glasses (came with purchase).
Do these glasses of your work without the converter?
Do they provide brighter pic than the Mits glasses?

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune: SRI , CBE

post #25 of 130 Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDholic View Post

The True Depth DLP link glasses block the red on my 2007 Samsung. The Ultra clears and other IR glasses I own do not. I paused the Blu ray on a black screen image to compare and confirm.
post #26 of 130 Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

To OP: I have a Mits 73837 display and the 3d-1000 converter kit with two glasses (came with purchase).
Do these glasses of your work without the converter?
Do they provide brighter pic than the Mits glasses?

You still need the converter, however you do NOT need the IR emitter. I haven't actually tried the Mits glasses, but from all that I've read, it appears that the dlp link glasses do indeed provide a brighter image
post #27 of 130 Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

The True Depth DLP link glasses block the red on my 2007 Samsung. The Ultra clears and other IR glasses I own do not. I paused the Blu ray on a black screen image to compare and confirm.

Thanks for the confirmation! My model is the xx650 (don't know the model year as I bought it from a crazy deal a few months back) but if it works with yours, I have no doubt it should block the tint on my as well.
post #28 of 130 Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

I should make sure people know that the Ultra Clears that you have are the IR type. I have two sets of Ultra Clear DLP link model and they DO eliminate the red tint. Their only problem is a small rainbow visible on the TV screen when using them, which can be minimized using a cut down piece of clear film on front of the lenses as discussed in another thread.
post #29 of 130 Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM

I saw these glasses on ebay, and they appear to be very similar, maybe even the same as the true depth glasses. What do you guys think?

P.s. I was going to buy 6 pairs of the true depth glasses and emailed them about it, and askes if they were maybe going to do a blackfriday type sale lowering prices even more, and they didn't respond and instead increased the price of the glasses by $10. not much but it is to me when you're buying 6. So looking for another potential alternative.

Was originally going to purchase 6 UC glasses, but i decided to come on here and read about the True Depth ones and decided these might be better. However don't want to pay an extra $120 more than I planned for *sigh*
post #30 of 130 Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmer View Post

I saw these glasses on ebay, and they appear to be very similar, maybe even the same as the true depth glasses. What do you guys think?

P.s. I was going to buy 6 pairs of the true depth glasses and emailed them about it, and askes if they were maybe going to do a blackfriday type sale lowering prices even more, and they didn't respond and instead increased the price of the glasses by $10. not much but it is to me when you're buying 6. So looking for another potential alternative.

Was originally going to purchase 6 UC glasses, but i decided to come on here and read about the True Depth ones and decided these might be better. However don't want to pay an extra $120 more than I planned for *sigh*

If you're looking for DLP Link glasses, I would strongly recommend the True Depth 3D. Ultra Clears are the exact same thing as the older model True Depth's, but the new Rechargeable True Depth's are superior, and it doesn't look like Ultra Clear has updated theirs yet. Try 3DProStore.com, they always have cheaper prices and great customer service from Dann.
Reply 3D Tech Talk