How to create 3D Photos that are detected as 3D by HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last night, as a test, I used my DSLR to take two shots of a subject (a vase) with a 4 inch shift between the shots.

I shrunk them into 1920x540 each and stacked them one on top of the other. Loaded them into my PS3 and and was able to switch the TV to Top-And-Bottom (TAB) 3D mode and see a very realistic 3D image.

Here is the question - I want to make a 3D image that is detected as a 3D image by the TV. One advantage is you don't have to switch in and out of TAB 3D mode.

Anybody know how ... what is the file format ? Any apps ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A 3D picture is often packaged as a .JPS file (stereo jpeg)
IDK about making your TV detect that, maybe if you load it on a memory card and plug that card into your TV, if your TV has a card reader.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post

A 3D picture is often packaged as a .JPS file (stereo jpeg)
IDK about making your TV detect that, maybe if you load it on a memory card and plug that card into your TV, if your TV has a card reader.

Perhaps my original post was not lucid. The tv is able to read the file and display the jpeg in 2d ... I have to manually make it switch to 3D mode. I want to know the file type that would make the tv automatically switch to 3D.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 62
You may have to contact your set's manufacturer to see if it will automatically switch to 3D mode when fed a graphics file and not a video stream...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #5 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post

Perhaps my original post was not lucid. The tv is able to read the file and display the jpeg in 2d ... I have to manually make it switch to 3D mode. I want to know the file type that would make the tv automatically switch to 3D.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, make a .JPS Stereo JPEG
You were talking about a TnB image
post #6 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
This issue is not your TV. It is the PS3 and how it identifies a 3D JPEG.

I assume you are playing the JPEPs in the PS3 and sending the signal to the TV via the HDMI.

Well JPEG, MPEG, H.264 AV/C etc are all indications of "compressed" digital video signals. HDMI cables do not carry compressed digital video signals; they carry full bandwidth non-compressed video signals.

It is the job of the source device - in this case the PS3 - to de-compress the signal and then to package that signal according the HDMI specifications before sending this to the TV. Note, the source device is not supposed to automatically package the signal as a type of signal that is not compatible with the TV. The TV already told the source device what it is capable of handling in the TV's EDID. In the HDMI specifications for the signal there is a feature called an "Info Frame". This is a part of the HDMI signal that the source device creates - it is not a part of the original compressed file it is created by the source device. The Info Frame will tell the TV the details about the signal such as resolution of the video, color format of the video, audio details etc. This is so the TV can adjust to the incoming signal.

In HDMI 1.4a specification, Info Frame flags were defined that tells the TV that the incoming signal is 3D, that it is this specific type of 3D such as TnB or SbS or Frame Packing, and what resolution this 3D signal is. These flags are added to the Info Frame by the source device, such as the PS3. If the flag is not there, the TV most likely sees only a 2D signal. Most TV manufacturers are aware that TnB and SbS frame compatible signals are available that the source device (your PS3) may not identify in the Info Frame as a 3D signal so they TV manufacturers give manual setting capabilities. I believe your problem is the PS3 is not adding the 3D TnB flag to the signal. It may also be that the PS3 is not identifying your JPEG as a 3D signal so it cannot add the Info Frame flag.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Or it may be that the TV simply does not recognize the Info Frame flag for 3D still images because those are not part of the mandatory 3D signals per HDMI and are only optional.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM

It is my impression that he doesn't really have a 3D image, he just has a flat TnB image. Yes it contains left and right views and yes he can make it display in 3D, but I though he was asking what format he SHOULD be using and how to make it work automatically.

That is why I suggested not using the PS3 at all and trying the TV's card reader or USB input with a file that is actually recognized as a stereo source. His TV is new enough to have 3D it probably has a card reader or USB port. I bet if it does and it looks on the memory card or USB stick and sees a JPS file that it is going to know that it is a 3D image.

This is speculation, sure, but it seems to me that it is worth a try. I don't own a TV anymore, but the last one I had was a basic Sony with card reader and USB input. It was aware of many types of audio, video and picture files. My theory is that a 3DHDTV would be aware of what a JPS file is and what to do with it.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM

If you convert the pair of photos to an .MPO file (which basically wraps the left and right images), the PS3 will recognize it as 3D. Some 3DTVs will also via the memory card slot.

You can use the free Stereo Photo Maker software to do this. It isn't necessary to cut the resoution to side-by-side or top/bottom. You can get full HD resolution.

One thing I noticed is that when displaying 3D photos from the PS3 Xbar, you get 720p/60. If you download the free PlayMemories app, you get 1080P/24 full-HD 3D from MPO files.

Mark
post #10 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks all. I downloaded Play Memories from PSN and was able to view the MPO file (created with Stereo Photo Maker) just fine. The TV recognized the incoming stream as a 3D signal and asked if I wanted to switch to 3D. And you are correct ... for some reason viewing the MPO file directly from the Xbar downconverts it to 720p. Not sure why it does that.

Now if I can only get my Vizio to automatically switch to 3D instead of prompting me to switch.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Not sure if this is relevant to you, but PowerDirector 10 imports MPO files and allows you to burn them to Blu-ray 3D. Add music and some titles, and dissolves if you like, and you have an easy, relatively inexpensive way of creating 3D slide shows. You can catch PD10 on sale for $90.

Joe Clark

post #12 of 13 Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM

I have a new panasonic Lumix dmc-zs19 camera that has 3d mode, I can take the .mpo file from there and put on usb memory stick. Stick it in my 3d LG, and view them great.
VERY impressive for a cheaper non dedicated 3d camera.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Play Memories on PS3 is excellent for 3D photos:

- 3D photos in .MPO files are detected as 3D

- turns on TV's 3D mode automatically

- allows to ZOOM and PAN

- 3D geometry control and automatic alignment to avoid viewing excessive parallax or misaligned 3D, which can cause eye fatique.

enjoy!

Adult4D
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page